In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sabanist

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby sabanist » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:57 pm

So it looks like I'm flying solo for ASW after all - mr. sabanist couldn't get the time off work.
Would anyone be willing to split a hotel Friday through Sunday? I'm looking at a fairly inexpensive room south of cambridge right on the red line. I'm a girl, but I don't mind sharing a room with any gender.
This trip will probably be prohibitively expensive if I can't find a roommate, because I have a raging case of the poor until my summer job starts.
Or, if someone else has a hotel and is looking for a roommate, shoot me a PM.

ETA: being frank with my financial situation, it looks like I'm not going to make it for ASW. I'll be knocking ~$500 off the trip cost by simply coming for an individual visit a week later, and that's not money I can ignore right now.
Bummed that I'm not going to be able to meet some of y'all :(
Last edited by sabanist on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Has anybody applied and gotten nothing for aid? Parents seem to think they will be in a middle ground of having enough assets to be over the limit, but not enough cash to really be able to help. My suggestion to sell assets wasn't exactly well received.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:09 pm

az21833 wrote:sorry, off-topic but is status checker supposed to change after the call? I'm still held haha. thanks

Oh for fuck's sake AZ. Really? This isn't going to stop with admission is it?

TrustInMusic

Postby TrustInMusic » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 pm

Anyone want to split hotel accommodation costs for the night of 20 and 21?
Please PM me if interested.

I'm male, if that matters.

square_peg

Postby square_peg » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:45 pm

wert3813 wrote:Has anybody applied and gotten nothing for aid? Parents seem to think they will be in a middle ground of having enough assets to be over the limit, but not enough cash to really be able to help. My suggestion to sell assets wasn't exactly well received.

This is pretty much where I ended up, actually. I got something like $1000 in grants. My parents don't have much income, but they're "savers," and I've managed to put away a bit of money myself. All of those efforts ended up screwing us over. Theoretically, my parents could liquidate some of their assets to help pay for my tuition, but I don't expect them to, and they shouldn't have to. So it looks like HLS is out of the picture for me.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:50 pm

TrustInMusic wrote:Anyone want to split hotel accommodation costs for the night of 20 and 21?

Can't you stay in the dorms or with students?

domino

Postby domino » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:51 pm

wert3813 wrote:
TrustInMusic wrote:Anyone want to split hotel accommodation costs for the night of 20 and 21?

Can't you stay in the dorms or with students?

Limited space--I requested to do that and they let me know they didn't have room a couple of weeks ish later.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 pm

LaMuSayonga wrote:I've only been to the Cambridge/Boston area once, so I'm open to suggestions. Any of the March people have some good bar recommendations? Did Grendel's or Brick & Mortar turn out OK?

No one replied so we didn't end up going :(

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:28 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:I've only been to the Cambridge/Boston area once, so I'm open to suggestions. Any of the March people have some good bar recommendations? Did Grendel's or Brick & Mortar turn out OK?

No one replied so we didn't end up going :(

Well we are sure going.

Did anyone bring a parent? How'd that work? Did they go to everything or just the information sessions?

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 am

wert3813 wrote:Has anybody applied and gotten nothing for aid? Parents seem to think they will be in a middle ground of having enough assets to be over the limit, but not enough cash to really be able to help. My suggestion to sell assets wasn't exactly well received.

If you haven't seen this page.. It gives nice stats. Looks like having assets of less than 500k is average for grant recipients. You can also see median resource assessment for parent income ranges.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... ytype.html

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:28 am

Searchparty wrote:

If you haven't seen this page.. It gives nice stats. Looks like having assets of less than 500k is average for grant recipients. You can also see median resource assessment for parent income ranges.

That was the page that led my dad to say, "don't bother".

bruwinning24

Postby bruwinning24 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 am

Got in on Fridayby phone call, but still no email or anything. Should I be worried?

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:43 am

bruwinning24 wrote:Got in on Fridayby phone call, but still no email or anything. Should I be worried?

This has been answered 3 or 4 times in the past page.

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am

Searchparty wrote:

Ugh, my parents fall just outside of these ranges and have point-blank told me they aren't helping me one bit, and I'm 3-months shy of an age adjustment, so here's to getting $5000 off at best.

sneakerspot002

Postby sneakerspot002 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:56 am

hey everyone, i have a serious question that i hope soneone can help me out with....

i was recently admitted to HLS in jan. my undergrad gpa is a 3.8, median lsat, somewhat strong softs....my senior year my grandmother was sick so i spent alot of time out of country thus alot of time out of class. consequently my grades suffered in several courses and my senior year gpa was a 3.2 (previous years it had been a 3.7-4.0)....putting my overall gpa now to 3.65...wat effect will my senior year grades have on my offer of admissions? am i in a position to loss my offer of admission? what should i do, bc there is a noticeable difference between my first 3 years and my last year

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:34 pm

sneakerspot002 wrote:hey everyone, i have a serious question that i hope soneone can help me out with....

i was recently admitted to HLS in jan. my undergrad gpa is a 3.8, median lsat, somewhat strong softs....my senior year my grandmother was sick so i spent alot of time out of country thus alot of time out of class. consequently my grades suffered in several courses and my senior year gpa was a 3.2 (previous years it had been a 3.7-4.0)....putting my overall gpa now to 3.65...wat effect will my senior year grades have on my offer of admissions? am i in a position to loss my offer of admission? what should i do, bc there is a noticeable difference between my first 3 years and my last year

Honestly, that seems pretty significant, but I wouldn't contact the school until they contact you (if they do). Then just explain your situation, but again, honestly, my grandmother died while I was in college, and I still kept my grades up, so if they do question your grades, I don't know how sympathetic they'll be to your story.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:41 pm

sneakerspot002 wrote:hey everyone, i have a serious question that i hope soneone can help me out with....

You are done with class already?

sneakerspot002

Postby sneakerspot002 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 pm

yea im done with my courses and graduated....and thats wat i was thinking, just say something if it is brought up....but at the same time i didnt want to seem fishy or anything, like im hiding it and only speaking about it bc i was questioned.

and who looks at the final transcripts? does JS go over it like she does when reviewing candidates or is it just checked for graduation and filed by a lower level clerical employee?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Flights suddenly got much much cheaper, so it looks like I'm coming to ASW after all :D

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 pm

sneakerspot002 wrote:yea im done with my courses and graduated....and thats wat i was thinking, just say something if it is brought up....but at the same time i didnt want to seem fishy or anything, like im hiding it and only speaking about it bc i was questioned.

and who looks at the final transcripts? does JS go over it like she does when reviewing candidates or is it just checked for graduation and filed by a lower level clerical employee?

Honestly, report as soon as possible. They are understanding people. In any case, they will find out about your grades with or without your volunteering them (hls needs your official ug transcript before you matriculate, and no matter who looks at it, your drop will appear significant). Given that, being forthright looks better and will help you in case they need to re-evaluate your app. Being perceived as trying to hide your grades would hurt you.

If you are still unsure, call the admissions office, and pose your situation as a hypothetical. See what they say.
Last edited by vzapana on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eli

Postby Eli » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Ugh. I'm looking at a $150, day-long bus ride if the prices don't drop here too. Not sure I could handle that. Anyone tried a bus trip that long?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:55 pm

Eli wrote:Ugh. I'm looking at a $150, day-long bus ride if the prices don't drop here too. Not sure I could handle that. Anyone tried a bus trip that long?

Try using Kayak, and make sure you're clearing your cookies or browsing incognito. Someone tipped me off that those sites register cookies to keep you from looking at lower price flights that have come along since you first started looking, and they were right. My price alerts said the cheapest was 500 - searching Kayak in an incognito window pulled up 300.

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Any plans do to a TLS meetup during this second ASW?

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:21 pm

sabanist wrote:
Eli wrote:Ugh. I'm looking at a $150, day-long bus ride if the prices don't drop here too. Not sure I could handle that. Anyone tried a bus trip that long?

Try using Kayak, and make sure you're clearing your cookies or browsing incognito. Someone tipped me off that those sites register cookies to keep you from looking at lower price flights that have come along since you first started looking, and they were right. My price alerts said the cheapest was 500 - searching Kayak in an incognito window pulled up 300.

So glad that worked!

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Searchparty wrote:So glad that worked!

:D thanks again!
I was really upset when I thought I wasn't going to get to go. Can't thank you enough for helping me be able to!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”