In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ManOfTheMinute

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:53 pm

atlgirl51 wrote:So...I have this theory. I heard that schools can judge an applicant's interest based off of how many times they log into their status checker page. Who's with me??

haha with that auto status checker I was using, 24 a day must have made me look super interested!

atlgirl51

Postby atlgirl51 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:59 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
atlgirl51 wrote:So...I have this theory. I heard that schools can judge an applicant's interest based off of how many times they log into their status checker page. Who's with me??

haha with that auto status checker I was using, 24 a day must have made me look super interested!

No seriously..

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:03 pm

atlgirl51 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

No seriously..

I really don't think that they care... also, I'm not sure if they actually have the ability to know. It is run through LSAC, so maybe only LSAC knows how often you check. There are enough distinguishing factors between applicants that something as trivial as how often the status checker is checked could make a difference.

atlgirl51

Postby atlgirl51 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:06 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
atlgirl51 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

No seriously..

I really don't think that they care... also, I'm not sure if they actually have the ability to know. It is run through LSAC, so maybe only LSAC knows how often you check. There are enough distinguishing factors between applicants that something as trivial as how often the status checker is checked could make a difference.

I am not sure why you think this factor is so "trivial". A person who logs on 50 times a day obviously wants to go to Harvard more than a person who checks..say once a week. They do care. LSAC sends online reports to all of the law schools..that is how your application is sent to your schools along with the number of times you check the status checker page. Believe it or not..your call.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 pm

atlgirl51 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

I am not sure why you think this factor is so "trivial". A person who logs on 50 times a day obviously wants to go to Harvard more than a person who checks..say once a week. They do care. LSAC sends online reports to all of the law schools..that is how your application is sent to your schools along with the number of times you check the status checker page. Believe it or not..your call.

A person who logs in 50 times a day doesn't have a job/family/obligations. Are you saying that you know for a FACT that LSAC sends them the # of status check logins? Or are you speculating based on the fact that when they send your app the first time its via the interwebs?

I doubt H(Y)S need much re-assurance that applicants want to go there. Also, once you go complete, there is no advantage to checking. HYS care about enough other things about your application (GPA/LSAT/PS/LOR/URM/WE/EC) that # of status check login is not important in their decision making process. Honestly, if a school took that into account at all I would seriously reconsider whether or not I had any desire to go there.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 pm

atlgirl51 wrote:I am not sure why you think this factor is so "trivial". A person who logs on 50 times a day obviously wants to go to Harvard more than a person who checks..say once a week. They do care. LSAC sends online reports to all of the law schools..that is how your application is sent to your schools along with the number of times you check the status checker page. Believe it or not..your call.

I wanted HLS as much as anyone and I checked my status 0 times after going complete.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Last edited by edgeofthenight on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:
honeybadger12 wrote:
atlgirl51 wrote:I am not sure why you think this factor is so "trivial". A person who logs on 50 times a day obviously wants to go to Harvard more than a person who checks..say once a week. They do care. LSAC sends online reports to all of the law schools..that is how your application is sent to your schools along with the number of times you check the status checker page. Believe it or not..your call.

I wanted HLS as much as anyone and I checked my status 0 times after going complete.

Same. I can see that maybe mattering for schools where the status checker actually gives you information (I was checking NYU's obsessively in early December). Harvard's was going to tell me anything after I went complete so I didn't see a point to checking it...

edit: As I'm first on a new page, I was going to share a picture of my dog, but it's not letting me use the image tag(?), so here is a link to one instead.

Not enough posts. You need to be a pro like me and MotM to post pics of cute dogs, obvi.

(That dog is really cute though)

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:23 am

Yukos wrote:
edgeofthenight wrote:
honeybadger12 wrote:

Same. I can see that maybe mattering for schools where the status checker actually gives you information (I was checking NYU's obsessively in early December). Harvard's was going to tell me anything after I went complete so I didn't see a point to checking it...

edit: As I'm first on a new page, I was going to share a picture of my dog, but it's not letting me use the image tag(?), so here is a link to one instead.

Not enough posts. You need to be a pro like me and MotM to post pics of cute dogs, obvi.

(That dog is really cute though)

Bam, you're welcome.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:25 am

This however, is the cutest dog in the world - if anyone wants to join me at HLS or SLS, we will secretly keep such a puppy in our apartment. And it shall be glorious.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:28 am

Wormfather wrote:I said classy. Did I studder!?!?!?! Here, fixed!

Thank you, thank you. I have pictures of her in a fancy American Girl dress (...my sister and I were young when we got her), but as I'm at school and don't have them with me, I'm glad she can fit into the Harvard thread in the meantime.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Any advice on knocking the price down for plane tickets to ASW? I'd be flying out of ATL or BHM. I'd be willing to fly to a different airport than BOS and take a train if it would knock 100+ off the total cost.
Try not to laugh, I'm broke and have never bought a plane ticket for myself before.

edamame

Postby edamame » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 pm

sabanist wrote:Any advice on knocking the price down for plane tickets to ASW? I'd be flying out of ATL or BHM. I'd be willing to fly to a different airport than BOS and take a train if it would knock 100+ off the total cost.
Try not to laugh, I'm broke and have never bought a plane ticket for myself before.

Try flying from a Southwest or Jet Blue hub. You can try the Amtrak from NYC, but that might be expensive and messy.

You could try Bradley Airport in Hartford, CT, and take the Amtrak. Idk how prices are from Hartford to Boston. Just prepare your trip back carefully. Also, the station is a little away from the airport. FYI. I would just try to get a JetBlue or Southwest flight.

read2465

Postby read2465 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Last edited by read2465 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks y'all! I'm going to look into it. I'd been using Kayak to try to compare prices, but $450 a pop is cringe-worthy.
I thought about doing Priceline bidding - I LOVE doing it for hotels - but Mr. Sabanist needs to be back at work Tuesday morning, and I want to stay for the Monday activities, so we'd need to fly out Monday night.
I'll check out amtrak now. Thanks again!

edamame

Postby edamame » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:47 pm

sabanist wrote:Thanks y'all! I'm going to look into it. I'd been using Kayak to try to compare prices, but $450 a pop is cringe-worthy.
I thought about doing Priceline bidding - I LOVE doing it for hotels - but Mr. Sabanist needs to be back at work Tuesday morning, and I want to stay for the Monday activities, so we'd need to fly out Monday night.

You could also try the BOLT bus from NYC. The only catch is that it will add four hours on to your trip, and you'll need to get from Queens to Manhattan to board it. Unless you know NYC really well, I would give yourself two hours between your flight to your Bolt bus departure time.

Also, @Sabanist, I know nothing about the South's geography, but have you tried other airports in Texas or in Florida? Like maybe Orlando or a Texas airport?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:50 pm

edamame wrote:
sabanist wrote:Thanks y'all! I'm going to look into it. I'd been using Kayak to try to compare prices, but $450 a pop is cringe-worthy.

You could also try the BOLT bus from NYC. The only catch is that it will add four hours on to your trip, and you'll need to get from Queens to Manhattan to board it. Unless you know NYC really well, I would give yourself two hours between your flight to your Bolt bus departure time.

Also, @Sabanist, I know nothing about the South's geography, but have you tried other airports in Texas or in Florida? Like maybe Orlando or a Texas airport?

I know nothing about NYC. The premium on the flight is starting to look a little better.
And Texas is ~10 hours away, Orlando 8. I'd just drive to Boston at that point :lol:

edamame

Postby edamame » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:50 pm

edamame wrote:

Or try Atlanta to Baltimore (using AirTran) and then Baltimore to Boston (using Southwest's "get away" deal)?

BWI is a big Southwest / JetBlue hub, and the airport isn't too big that you'll get lost (or at least I think). Hope all of this helps. :-)

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:02 pm

edamame wrote:
edamame wrote:

Or try Atlanta to Baltimore (using AirTran) and then Baltimore to Boston (using Southwest's "get away" deal)?

BWI is a big Southwest / JetBlue hub, and the airport isn't too big that you'll get lost (or at least I think). Hope all of this helps. :-)

BWI is also right on Amtrak. DC to Boston via Amtrak is about 7.5 hours and $70 if you're willing to go at an off-peak time, so I imagine BWI would be a little bit cheaper.

If you're still in undergrad, Amtrak also has a student discount card - you pay $20 for a year and get a 15% discount on tickets.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Just FYI, visiting a page once on an airline will leave a cookie on your computer and the airline will search for the cookie and if you've visited that page before... there may be a chance that they will use that to raise the prices. I suggest clearing your cookies before you visit the pages again. I know this happens, I just don't know which airlines and what exactly triggers it (just visiting the homepage? visiting kayak and other third parties?)

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Anyone recently fill out fin aid online form or submit required documents to the image upload? My dad said he did the online form and turned in his 1040 on Tuesday, but it's still not marked as received.. while when I did this a week ago for my mom it happened by next day :(

I wonder if they're swamped, or if my dad did it incorrectly

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Searchparty wrote:Anyone recently fill out fin aid online form or submit required documents to the image upload? My dad said he did the online form and turned in his 1040 on Tuesday, but it's still not marked as received.. while when I did this a week ago for my mom it happened by next day :(

When I submitted mine a week or so ago they said that they were super busy and it took them like three days... I wouldn't worry (yet)

Alassio

Postby Alassio » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Last edited by Alassio on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rocktower3

Postby rocktower3 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Searchparty wrote:Anyone recently fill out fin aid online form or submit required documents to the image upload? My dad said he did the online form and turned in his 1040 on Tuesday, but it's still not marked as received.. while when I did this a week ago for my mom it happened by next day :(

It can take a couple days - a few of mine took awile for some reason.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Searchparty wrote:Just FYI, visiting a page once on an airline will leave a cookie on your computer and the airline will search for the cookie and if you've visited that page before... there may be a chance that they will use that to raise the prices. I suggest clearing your cookies before you visit the pages again. I know this happens, I just don't know which airlines and what exactly triggers it (just visiting the homepage? visiting kayak and other third parties?)

Y'all are entirely too helpful. Thank you so much!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”