In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sabanist

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby sabanist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 am

Dear god, y'all. I don't know if you intended to make HLS sound like disney world for grown ups, but you succeeded.
And I sincerely hope Jay-Z actually drops in for classes from time to time.

one_by_one

Postby one_by_one » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am

Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am

edgeofthenight wrote:
aredhello wrote:
Yukos wrote:
wert3813 wrote:For those of us dreaming of this thread...perceptions of Harvard and ASW?

Best pitch you got?

Mock class about 4th Amendment. We somehow get derailed and start talking about "99 Problems." Professor casually mentions he brings in Jay-Z to talk about the case.

I thought he was trying to say that he played Jay-Z in class, not that he brought the actual person in -- did I misunderstand?

I thought he made some off-hand comment about how Jay-Z loved doing it.

I'm almost certain he was talking about bringing in actual Jay-Z

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 am

sabanist wrote:Dear god, y'all. I don't know if you intended to make HLS sound like disney world for grown ups, but you succeeded.

one_by_one wrote::cry: I wish I hadn't read these posts. Now I'm desperately hoping for an unlinkely post-hold JS1-> JS2

When students sit around debating whether or not Jay-Z routinely makes guest appearances in your class, you've won.

rocktower3

Postby rocktower3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 am

Yeah, they killed it. Now my only question is where do I send the check. Hope to see many of you there!

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am

Mock class about 4th Amendment. We somehow get derailed and start talking about "99 Problems." Professor casually mentions he brings in Jay-Z to talk about the case.[/quote]

I thought he was trying to say that he played Jay-Z in class, not that he brought the actual person in -- did I misunderstand?[/quote]

I thought he made some off-hand comment about how Jay-Z loved doing it.[/quote]

I'm almost certain he was talking about bringing in actual Jay-Z[/quote]

+1

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:20 pm

I was very impressed by the students there (both current and admitted).

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 pm

I got cold called in the class I was visiting :/

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:26 pm

According to student financial services calendar, today they should begin releasing financial aid information to students. Anybody get notified yet?

read2465

Postby read2465 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Last edited by read2465 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:17 pm

read2465 wrote:I'm booking flight tickets for April ASW--is there any reason to be there on Friday, or is flying in then sufficient?

I want to hear more about it from those who went to this one!

Also going in April, only thoughts are that you'd be able to interact with current students outside of ASW and get to explore campus on your own rather than under the umbrella of ASW and any ways it might color your visit (I'm red-eyeing it to arrive Friday AM)

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Wormfather wrote:
read2465 wrote: booking flight tickets for April ASW--is there any reason to be there on Friday, or is flying in then sufficient?

I want to hear more about it from those who went to this one!

The first day is pretty epic.

+1. First day is the best part. Be well rested and get ready for the ride

housebro13

Postby housebro13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 pm

sabanist wrote:Dear god, y'all. I don't know if you intended to make HLS sound like disney world for grown ups, but you succeeded.

+1!!!!

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

So sad I can't make ASW and have to visit on my own :(

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Really glad to hear y'all enjoyed the ASW. Sorry about the snow. As a current 1L who was working for (but not being paid by, to make that clear :wink: ) the admissions office trying to help sell you guys - any comments to keep in mind for next round in April?

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Wormfather wrote:At least once, find a way to say "It's Harvard", you know why.

Please don'ttttt. One of the reasons I didn't want to go to Harvard for UG was exactly that.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:26 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
Wormfather wrote:At least once, find a way to say "It's Harvard", you know why.

Please don'ttttt. One of the reasons I didn't want to go to Harvard for UG was exactly that.

And yet...

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Really glad to hear y'all enjoyed the ASW. Sorry about the snow. As a current 1L who was working for (but not being paid by, to make that clear :wink: ) the admissions office trying to help sell you guys - any comments to keep in mind for next round in April?

Dont lie about every student getting offers at OCI, a couple of students did that and that was the biggest turn off of the weekend. Most of us who got in are smart enough to know that even at Harvard, 2L SA isnt a lock and when a student says different it kind of hurts a bit.

Do focus the fact that Harvard is less about academia (unless that's what a student is gunning for) than YLS and SLS, for some reason that made me stop comparing HLS to those two as if it were apples to apples and instead made me think more about what I want (BigLaw).

If you're giving a tour, do speak up, often my tour guide forgot that some of us were 10 yards away and would start talking before the back of the group got to the front.

Do emphasize the importance of living close to campus, its one of those things that you really dont think about that much (how bad could living 20 minutes away be?) but when a student explains it, you walk away feeling like they helped you avoid a big mistake for your 1L year.

At least once, find a way to say "It's Harvard", you know why.

HTH

Very helpful ty, I'll pass this (and any other thoughts from others) on to the powers that be

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:04 pm

two suggestions:
1.) the faculty lunches were great, but you should consider incorporating faculty office hours into asw. NYU did that for its admitted students event, and those personal conversations with professors made me really like the school.

2.) extend the visiting hours for housing options. i could go to only two of the four places during the allotted time, because i had to wait in line at both.

additional comment: i found the extracurricular fair to be the least successful event; it was a bit too chaotic for my tastes. i can't think of a way of improving the event, but i think it's worth tweaking.
Last edited by vzapana on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eph

Postby eph » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I think you did a fabulous job. Enjoyed it immensely. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by eph on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:18 pm

vzapana wrote:two things:
1.) the faculty lunches were great, but you should consider incorporating faculty office hours into asw. NYU did that for its admitted students event, and those personal conversations with professors made me really like the school.

2.) extend the visiting hours for housing options. i could go to only two of the four places during the allotted time, because i had to wait in line at both.

Agreed on both accounts.

Also, perhaps make it clearer that by signing up to stay on campus, you're really signing up to stay in an unused dorm room. I stayed on campus and I talked to some people who said they would have signed up, but thought they would be staying on someone's floor and felt weird about it.

Vzapana's edit reminded me: it would be great if groups could have clear meeting places and times for dinner, preferably spread out. The lobby got slightly crazy and there were a few times I almost got tangled in another group.

It was truly fantastic. I was already convinced, but I am beyond excited for next year and have throughly pissed off my friends with how much I've been babbling about it.

jyrkchicken

Postby jyrkchicken » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Really glad to hear y'all enjoyed the ASW. Sorry about the snow. As a current 1L who was working for (but not being paid by, to make that clear :wink: ) the admissions office trying to help sell you guys - any comments to keep in mind for next round in April?

I had a great time. Not too much I would change.

One suggestion would be to have slightly more organized activities that focus on getting to know the other 0Ls. I know people aren't looking to form relationships for the rest of their life at ASWs, but getting to know people and have a sense for the type of people at HLS is important and I think that one could have (I did not) gone through ASW without actually interacting with many other admitted students. I know ice breaking activities can be hokey, but they can also be fun and help people feel more comfortable if they didn't know anyone else attending.

Thanks for all the work you guys did! It isn't exactly a hard sell, but you guys sold incredibly.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Do emphasize the importance of living close to campus, its one of those things that you really dont think about that much (how bad could living 20 minutes away be?) but when a student explains it, you walk away feeling like they helped you avoid a big mistake for your 1L year.

Can you give their explanation? I left pretty convinced that it would be great to live in Davis or Porter close to the redline. It seems like Harvard Square would be more expensive (unverified) and its so touristy immediately around Harvard. I also feel like living slightly away from Harvard would give you a home base & a little more sanity, but maybe thats just me.

tirakon

Postby tirakon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 pm

When I think back on the weekend, I just feel all warm and cuddly inside. Truly amazing. You all did a fantastic job!

It's hard to think of anything to criticize...

The only major thing I felt was missing: walking tours of the areas outside of the law school campus. It would have been nice for someone to show us around the main Harvard campus, or more importantly the restaurants/bars/grocery stores in the area. One of Harvard's big draws for me is that it's in an urban center, but the admitted students weekend was extremely self-contained. I left not knowing where I'd actually buy food for myself if I wanted a break from the dining hall.

Minor quibbles:

I thought the Harvard video they played before Dean Minnow's introductory remarks laid it on a bit too thick--it definitely made me cringe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hrvt1uuEyA

I guess there could have been more swag.

But, really, you guys knocked it out of the park.
Last edited by tirakon on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 pm

tirakon wrote:

When I think back on the weekend, I just feel all warm and cuddly inside. Truly amazing. You all did a fantastic job!

It's hard to think of anything to criticize...

The only major thing I felt was missing: walking tours of the areas outside of the law school campus. It would have been nice for someone to show us around the main Harvard campus, or more importantly the restaurants/bars/grocery stores in the area. One of Harvard's big draws for me is that it's an urban center, but the admitted students weekend was extremely self-contained. I left not knowing where I'd actually buy food for myself if I wanted a break from the dining hall.

Minor quibbles:

I thought the Harvard video they played before Dean Minnow's introductory remarks laid it on a bit too thick--it definitely made me cringe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hrvt1uuEyA

I guess there could have been more swag.

But, really, you guys knocked it out of the park.

Yeah, I accidentally let out a laugh during that video. WE. ARE. HARVARD.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”