In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
carboncopyx

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Whoa, did any of the recent admits also just get access to their HLS e-mails? I thought April ASW would be the only option, but I technically can register for March ASW now... Hmmmm...

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:11 pm

carboncopyx wrote:Whoa, did any of the recent admits also just get access to their HLS e-mails? I thought April ASW would be the only option, but I technically can register for March ASW now... Hmmmm...

yeah i got it too - they're going super fast. also i called the admissions office yesterday, and a staff member manually signed me up for the asw this weekend. (so you didn't even need the e-mail address.)

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 pm

carboncopyx wrote:Whoa, did any of the recent admits also just get access to their HLS e-mails? I thought April ASW would be the only option, but I technically can register for March ASW now... Hmmmm...

Just you carbon... cuz you're awesome. Haha no I did, much faster than I'd thought! Aren't you going to bundle the YLS and the HLS into the same weekend? You could prob compare better that way...

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Just you carbon... cuz you're awesome. Haha no I did, much faster than I'd thought! Aren't you going to bundle the YLS and the HLS into the same weekend? You could prob compare better that way...

Yeah, after a brief moment of trying to piece together my schedule for this weekend/month/all time until graduation, April ASW just seems to make a lot more sense in the grand scheme of things. So I guess I'll see you there! And miss out on vzapana :(

jselson

Postby jselson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Has anyone tried to get a PIN yet? For some reason, neither the PIN request site nor the finaid site will accept my HUID.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:46 pm

jselson wrote:Has anyone tried to get a PIN yet? For some reason, neither the PIN request site nor the finaid site will accept my HUID.

Just did a PIN request now, seemed to go through. Although, the only delivery preference was to pick up a piece of paper in person - I'm hoping they really mean I will get an email. Did this happen to any(every)body else?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Just you carbon... cuz you're awesome. Haha no I did, much faster than I'd thought! Aren't you going to bundle the YLS and the HLS into the same weekend? You could prob compare better that way...

Yeah, after a brief moment of trying to piece together my schedule for this weekend/month/all time until graduation, April ASW just seems to make a lot more sense in the grand scheme of things. So I guess I'll see you there! And miss out on vzapana :(

Its ok, you'll see him if you decide to bless SLS with your presence at ASW

Searchparty wrote:
jselson wrote:Has anyone tried to get a PIN yet? For some reason, neither the PIN request site nor the finaid site will accept my HUID.

Just did a PIN request now, seemed to go through. Although, the only delivery preference was to pick up a piece of paper in person - I'm hoping they really mean I will get an email. Did this happen to any(every)body else?

I have the same thing. Think that I remember reading we'd get it in an email somewhere

jselson

Postby jselson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Searchparty wrote:

That's what happened to me, I just didn't submit. Maybe things will get cleared up by tomorrow.

jselson

Postby jselson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Wormfather wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:To access admitted students site ("Information for Admitted Students") its:

HUID for username
PIN for password

Right?

Actually ... I think it's xxxx.jd16 for username and your corresponding password.

TCR and by password he means the password you use for email.

For the admitted students' website, yeah, but not for logging on to the financial aid forms.

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Wormfather wrote:Oh the pin takes up to 48 hours to activate IIRC

If you click on "First Time User," you just set your own PIN after filling out some biographical details. Mine worked right away.

mommalee

Postby mommalee » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 pm

jselson wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:To access admitted students site ("Information for Admitted Students") its:

HUID for username
PIN for password

Right?

Actually ... I think it's xxxx.jd16 for username and your corresponding password.

TCR and by password he means the password you use for email.

For the admitted students' website, yeah, but not for logging on to the financial aid forms.

It took a couple days for me to get an email from SFS that allowed me to access the financial aid system. The SFS PIN is different than the Harvard University PIN.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 pm

carboncopyx wrote:

If you click on "First Time User," you just set your own PIN after filling out some biographical details. Mine worked right away.

This

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:01 am

facile princeps wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:

This

I have no box for "First Time User" ... I follow this link (https://www.pin.harvard.edu/home.shtml) and I can choose "Request a New Pin," which when I input my HUID, Last Name, and DOB tells me that "I will pickup the PIN letter in-person."

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:

This

I have no box for "First Time User" ... I follow this link (https://www.pin.harvard.edu/home.shtml) and I can choose "Request a New Pin," which when I input my HUID, Last Name, and DOB tells me that "I will pickup the PIN letter in-person."

I originally got stuck on that. Just go to the financial aid website (myfaid.law.harvard.edu), instead of http://www.pin.harvard.edu. There's a "first time user" option there.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:19 am

vzapana wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:I have no box for "First Time User" ... I follow this link (https://www.pin.harvard.edu/home.shtml) and I can choose "Request a New Pin," which when I input my HUID, Last Name, and DOB tells me that "I will pickup the PIN letter in-person."

I originally got stuck on that. Just go to the financial aid website (myfaid.law.harvard.edu), instead of http://www.pin.harvard.edu. There's a "first time user" option there.

Hmmmm... for some reason I thought that the HUID/PIN is a different combo that the financial aid PIN, but I have been known to be wrong before

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 am

I have decided that I am not crazy for thinking that the financial aid PIN (SFS) and the HUID PIN are different things... the ASW breaks them down into two separate subjects and seems to imply that we should be able to do the SFS well before we get the HUID PIN - although this year they seem to have been quite speedy

Student Financial Services

The main online HLS financial aid application is part of Student Financial Services’ secure online financial aid system, known as "My HLS Financial Aid", and requires a secure login. The Student Financial Services Office will send you an email instructing you on how to begin the application process. There is nothing else you need to do in advance of the official launch of the application process.

HUID and Harvard University PIN

By mid-June, Student Financial Services will e-mail you with information about accessing your Harvard University Identification Number (HUID). Your HUID is your unique personal identifier and it will not change throughout your years as a student at HLS. They will also provide you with instructions on how to obtain a Harvard University PIN. A Harvard University PIN is a password or passphrase that serves as a secure means of authenticating one's identity when accessing certain web sites and web applications affiliated with Harvard University. A PIN adds a level of security to your online activities within the Harvard community.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Hmmmm... for some reason I thought that the HUID/PIN is a different combo that the financial aid PIN, but I have been known to be wrong before

but but but...
ManOfTheMinute wrote:I'm pretty sure you're gonna get in, so its really just a matter of when. Also, I am never wrong.

I'm gonna be honest here... I feel like I just found out the Easter Bunny is fake yet at the same time we're having him for dinner

read2465

Postby read2465 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 am

Last edited by read2465 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honeybadger12

Postby honeybadger12 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 am

cloudatlas wrote:Deposit: PAID.
Law School: CHOSEN.

See you fellow Crimsonites next fall :D

Awesome - congrats on having your decision made!

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:42 am

Is everyone putting in their HUID # when it asks for "Student ID" for "First Tine Users" on the Finaid website? Or an I missing something here? Neither my HUID not my username is working. Guess I'll have to email the office.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

jselson wrote:Is everyone putting in their HUID # when it asks for "Student ID" for "First Tine Users" on the Finaid website? Or an I missing something here? Neither my HUID not my username is working. Guess I'll have to email the office.

have you tried e-mail address?

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 am

vzapana wrote:
jselson wrote:Is everyone putting in their HUID # when it asks for "Student ID" for "First Tine Users" on the Finaid website? Or an I missing something here? Neither my HUID not my username is working. Guess I'll have to email the office.

have you tried e-mail address?

Omg, I'm a f*cking idiot, it says that right of the page. Thanks, though.

To answer my own question, yes, I was missing something. Harvard material.

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:46 am

Double post

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:58 am

read2465 wrote:I'm beginning the process of financial aid forms, and want to know what I'm getting myself into in terms of which of my assets will be counted. Do any of you have any idea how the emergency reserve allowance of savings is calculated? All I see is that it's adjusted upward for dependents, but there doesn't seem to be much beyond that.

ERA is $500.

Assets are investments, cash, savings, home equity, retirement accounts, trust funds, etc. They expect you to 1/3 of your assets less $500 every year.

Their example was: $6k in savings divided by the three years is $2k a year, minus $500; they expect you to use $1500 of your savings each year.

More info:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... ssets.html

read2465

Postby read2465 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am

Last edited by read2465 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”