In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sabanist

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby sabanist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:14 pm

I went back and checked, and it only took mine a week.
Have you checked the secondary email address you gave when you applied? HLS email doesn't get sent to your primary one.
Have you checked your status checker as well? If they sent it to you and it got lost, your primary email will be your HLS email. If it's still the one you used when you applied, it just hasn't been sent to you yet.

housebro13

Postby housebro13 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm

Wormfather wrote:
sabanist wrote:I went back and checked, and it only took mine a week.
Have you checked the secondary email address you gave when you applied? HLS email doesn't get sent to your primary one.
Have you checked your status checker as well? If they sent it to you and it got lost, your primary email will be your HLS email. If it's still the one you used when you applied, it just hasn't been sent to you yet.

My personal email is still primary and nothing in secondary. :?

This whole acceptance to HLS thing is an elaborate prank, I'm sure.[/quote]

Exactly how I feel. Like where is this admissions binder that was supposedly sent 6 days ago?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but today they're migrating all of the accounts to gmail. They're probably waiting until after the migration to start setting up new accounts.

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Hey Worm, I called H and we should get the email by the end of the week. Hang tight, not a prank :)

edamame

Postby edamame » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Admitted 12/21, and I haven't gotten the wonderful welcome emails from professors and the like yet. :-( I would love to chat with someone about HLS.

canadianlookingtolaw

Postby canadianlookingtolaw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:55 pm

I am accepted at HLS, waiting to hear about financial aid, but I know that Harvard typically is not very generous. I have also been accepted at Columbia as a Hamilton fellow, which offers full tuition (worth $174 000) for all three years. I am considering between the 2 schools. Any advice?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:05 pm

canadianlookingtolaw wrote:I am accepted at HLS, waiting to hear about financial aid, but I know that Harvard typically is not very generous. I have also been accepted at Columbia as a Hamilton fellow, which offers full tuition (worth $174 000) for all three years. I am considering between the 2 schools. Any advice?

Depends on what you want to do for a living and how debt averse you are. I think the Hamilton is a really smart choice, especially if you're set on NYC biglaw.
The HYS intangibles might be worth the debt for other fields. I'm pretty sure I'd take HLS over a Hamilton because DOJ Honors is my dream.

Congrats on the Hamilton, and good luck.

domino

Postby domino » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:08 pm

canadianlookingtolaw wrote:I am accepted at HLS, waiting to hear about financial aid, but I know that Harvard typically is not very generous. I have also been accepted at Columbia as a Hamilton fellow, which offers full tuition (worth $174 000) for all three years. I am considering between the 2 schools. Any advice?

You might already have seen this thread, but it links to a few other discussions on this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=203498.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 pm

edamame wrote:Admitted 12/21, and I haven't gotten the wonderful welcome emails from professors and the like yet. :-( I would love to chat with someone about HLS.

+1
I guess nobody wants to email me.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Congrats to all the admits from a 3L, and I wanted to share my favorite March ASW moment:

Scene: Getting awesome free food at HLS ASW.
Me to girlfriend: "What does that little card next to the soft pretzels say?"
Girlfriend: "It says 'whole grain mustard.'"
Me: (Feigning surprise.) "Oh my, whole grain!"
Old lady from admissions in fancy dress: "My dears, this is Harvard University! We aren't savages."

Btw, loving it three years later.

harvardboy24

Postby harvardboy24 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Checking in.

When's ASW??

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Stinson wrote:Congrats to all the admits from a 3L, and I wanted to share my favorite March ASW moment:

Scene: Getting awesome free food at HLS ASW.
Me to girlfriend: "What does that little card next to the soft pretzels say?"
Girlfriend: "It says 'whole grain mustard.'"
Me: (Feigning surprise.) "Oh my, whole grain!"
Old lady from admissions in fancy dress: "My dears, this is Harvard University! We aren't savages."

Btw, loving it three years later.

I love this! I had a feeling they weren't savages and this just confirms it :D
Hooray for non-savages eating the entire mustard grain!

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:33 am

My "admissions binder" was supposedly sent on the 24th but I just got it today, so if you haven't got one don't worry too much. Still no HLS email though.

Also, it's not a binder.

dcg2120

Postby dcg2120 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
edamame wrote:Admitted 12/21, and I haven't gotten the wonderful welcome emails from professors and the like yet. :-( I would love to chat with someone about HLS.

+1

Seriously. This is like taking the really hot girl to the prom but then having her spend the whole time chatting with her friends at the punch table while you're standing out on the floor alone like a jackass...

...this has never happened to me of course...

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Yukos wrote:My "admissions binder" was supposedly sent on the 24th but I just got it today, so if you haven't got one don't worry too much. Still no HLS email though.

Also, it's not a binder.

Yeah, I've been wondering about the name but didn't want to ruin the surprise for those still waiting. It's definitely a packet.
ETA: loling hard over the savages story.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 pm

dcg2120 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:

+1

Seriously. This is like taking the really hot girl to the prom but then having her spend the whole time chatting with her friends at the punch table while you're standing out on the floor alone like a jackass...

...this has never happened to me of course...

Not to be confused with the time you took the really hot girl to prom and then YOU spent the rest of the night chatting up her friends while all their dates stood by the punch table looking like jackasses.

...this has never happened to me...of course... :(

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Just checking in to the "new" thread...
So I'm pretty set on Harvard, especially since I probably won't get into S or Y. Any reason (besides whole grain pretzels) that I absolutely MUST go to ASW? I would love to, but I don't know if I can pay for the trip at the moment.

Also, congrats on any new people to the thread.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:24 pm

yarsten wrote:Just checking in to the "new" thread...
So I'm pretty set on Harvard, especially since I probably won't get into S or Y. Any reason (besides whole grain pretzels) that I absolutely MUST go to ASW? I would love to, but I don't know if I can pay for the trip at the moment.

Whole grain MUSTARD dawg.

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Yukos wrote:

My bad. Now I'm definitely going.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 am

Wormfather wrote:
Yukos wrote:

Savage.

This comical sequence made my day.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Same overall (especially on Y admission, sigh), but I think I'm going to scrounge the money together and do it anyway. Visiting my UG before sending my deposit only confirmed what I already knew, but getting a chance to fall in love with the place before committing 3 years to it seems worth the ~$250 post-stipend I'll end up coughing up for it.
fwiw, I've never been to Boston, so that's motivating me a lot.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm

sabanist wrote:

Same overall (especially on Y admission, sigh), but I think I'm going to scrounge the money together and do it anyway. Visiting my UG before sending my deposit only confirmed what I already knew, but getting a chance to fall in love with the place before committing 3 years to it seems worth the ~$250 post-stipend I'll end up coughing up for it.
fwiw, I've never been to Boston, so that's motivating me a lot.

I wasn't even interested in Harvard until we visited Cambridge last summer. It was instantly #1.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:54 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:I wasn't even interested in Harvard until we visited Cambridge last summer. It was instantly #1.

What about it in particular? Appearance, atmosphere, stuff to do?
A couple of Mr. Sabanist's good friends just moved up there, and I die a little every time they instagram a picture of some gorgeous building. I can't wait to see it myself.

vman21

Postby vman21 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:38 pm

<('.'<)
Last edited by vman21 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:52 pm

vman21 wrote:sabanist, just curious why you think you aren't getting S or Y or both?

Just on #'s alone I would think you have a great shot at both (albeit obviously nothing is guaranteed for anybody at those schools on #'s).

If you did get Y, would you consider it over H?

Bolded is why. I didn't apply to Stanford, and I have my weird reasons.
I'm K-JD, I have an unimpressive resume because of it, my 250 sucked (although I think my PS is pretty compelling), and my UG has its own section in the wikipedia article on grade inflation.
Basically, I'm one of those people with good numbers they get to brag about rejecting because I'm not good enough in other ways. I had to try, though.

It would be a really tough decision if I got both. I have a hunch that Harvard would be a better fit in a lot of intangible ways (and Mr. Sabanist has made it clear he'd prefer Cambridge), but I can't ignore the difference in federal clerkship placement and LRAP.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”