In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UtilityMonster

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby UtilityMonster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:27 am

facile princeps wrote:
Yukos wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
Yukos wrote:I'm going in March so I have an honest look at late winter/early spring. I really hate cold weather so I feel like if I go in April it'll be beautiful and I'll be like "Boston weather is NBD," when it's probably a VBD.

You mean to tell me you would turn down H if the weather isn't to your liking? :lol: As it is right now, only Y or a full (or north of $100k) scholly from NYU/Columbia could sway me.

My weather.com page is permanently Palo Alto vs. Cambridge. It's pretty convincing...

I know there's tons of cultural differences between HS, and I'm sure I'll get a better idea of them at the ASWs, but they're both so amazing that I think at this point QoL is a reasonable criterion, and weather is a huge part of QoL for me (I definitely have SAD).

Well if Stanford is the alternative, then it's certainly a reasonable criterion. Carry on then.

Why is Stanford considered such a good school when they give huge advantages to applicants from CA? I have seen so many qualified candidates be passed over for worse ones who happen to be from CA (or the West Coast more generally). If it is so great, why do they worry over their yields and not just admit the best applicants and assume that a sizable portion of which will attend?

I'll tell you why - because it is worse than Harvard and applicants without ties to the West Coast pick Harvard more often, rightly so.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:37 am

UtilityMonster wrote:Why is Stanford considered such a good school when they give huge advantages to applicants from CA? I have seen so many qualified candidates be passed over for worse ones who happen to be from CA (or the West Coast more generally). If it is so great, why do they worry over their yields and not just admit the best applicants and assume that a sizable portion of which will attend?

I'll tell you why - because it is worse than Harvard and applicants without ties to the West Coast pick Harvard more often, rightly so.

I really, really hope this is true ;)

Edit: "this" being that they favor Cal students. Not the stuff about it being a worse school, cos that's just ignant.
Last edited by jselson on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:54 am

UtilityMonster wrote:Why is Stanford considered such a good school when they give huge advantages to applicants from CA? I have seen so many qualified candidates be passed over for worse ones who happen to be from CA (or the West Coast more generally). If it is so great, why do they worry over their yields and not just admit the best applicants and assume that a sizable portion of which will attend?

Pretty arrogant to assume that they select based on yields.

Maybe they care less about yields and numbers which meet/exceed medians and instead place high emphasis on ensuring those admitted are interesting people who want to be there.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:11 am

UtilityMonster wrote:
Why is Stanford considered such a good school when they give huge advantages to applicants from CA? I have seen so many qualified candidates be passed over for worse ones who happen to be from CA (or the West Coast more generally). If it is so great, why do they worry over their yields and not just admit the best applicants and assume that a sizable portion of which will attend?

Is this really your best logic right here? Kind of depressing that we've gotten into similar schools :cry:

There's that saying, "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member," but I have amended it on this particular occasion to "I don't care to belong to any club that will have UtilityMonster as a member."

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:10 am

Redfactor wrote:

Maybe they care less about yields and numbers which meet/exceed medians and instead place high emphasis on ensuring those admitted are interesting people who want to be there.

I could be wrong, but I hardly see how the accusation of "arrogance" applies.

Also, your second point makes absolutely no sense. Anyone who attends would want to attend. :wink:

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:

Is this really your best logic right here? Kind of depressing that we've gotten into similar schools :cry:

There's that saying, "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member," but I have amended it on this particular occasion to "I don't care to belong to any club that will have UtilityMonster as a member."

Nice ad hom. Why not just state your problem with what I said (I'm not impervious to reason) rather than be like "omg so stupid but I won't bother telling you why but omg so stupid !!!!!"

Oh yeah, you are bothered because you are one of the people I am talking about who got in due to being from CA. :lol:

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 am

jselson wrote:

I really, really hope this is true ;)

Edit: "this" being that they favor Cal students. Not the stuff about it being a worse school, cos that's just ignant.

Lol, so you edit your post after you see some people disagree with me? Would hate to lose that TLS rep!

What is up with TLS and being so afraid to take unorthodox positions? There is so much group think on this site. When someone asks a question on a thread, and the first two responses state the exact same opinion very strongly, everyone else just falls in line like sheep.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:49 am

UtilityMonster wrote:
Redfactor wrote:

I could be wrong, but I hardly see how the accusation of "arrogance" applies.

Also, your second point makes absolutely no sense. Anyone who attends would want to attend. :wink:

Well, when you start trash talking on one of the most prestigious and quality law schools before you've even been in any law school program, I think the term arrogant is appropriate.

And actually, it makes perfect sense. A lot of people go to law schools that they don't truly desire. Their preferred choices rejected them or failed to give them enough money. I bet many people enter into law schools that aren't their top choice simply because they "couldn't get better" options.

What would you rather have, a student body comprised of people whose dreams came true, or a student body with many students there because they didn't get into Yale? I think the environment would be much better under the former.

pepster

Postby pepster » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:08 am

On a different note, do you think it's necessary to bring a suit to ASW? I saw some dinners on the schedule and am wondering if they could be formal....?

dcg2120

Postby dcg2120 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:17 am

pepster wrote:On a different note, do you think it's necessary to bring a suit to ASW? I saw some dinners on the schedule and am wondering if they could be formal....?

FWIW, I'm not bringing anything beyond slacks and a nice (read: minimally food-stained) shirt.

eph

Postby eph » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:47 pm

My two cents being in at Harvard and Stanford. Both great schools. Don't see the need or purpose of going on the "in at" threads and knocking one or the other. Would think that that kind of banter belongs on the choosing a law school forum.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:21 pm

eph wrote:My two cents being in at Harvard and Stanford. Both great schools. Don't see the need or purpose of going on the "in at" threads and knocking one or the other. Would think that that kind of banter belongs on the choosing a law school forum.

Agreed. UtilityMonster should GTFO

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:15 pm

dcg2120 wrote:
pepster wrote:On a different note, do you think it's necessary to bring a suit to ASW? I saw some dinners on the schedule and am wondering if they could be formal....?

FWIW, I'm not bringing anything beyond slacks and a nice (read: minimally food-stained) shirt.

I'm bringing one business-casual dress and otherwise just my typical jeans and cardigans. If anyone is floating around from previous ASWs and would care to advise differently, it would be much appreciated.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm

T-shirts and flip flops all the way

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Does anyone have room in / want to split a hotel room for ASW this weekend? I know it's coming up quick, but if you're interested, send me a PM! (I'm male, in case it matters)

rocktower3

Postby rocktower3 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:15 am

Any girls interested in splitting a hotel? I'm going to book something near the law school (i.e not by another T stop), please PM me if you're interested!

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Any females want to split a room Friday night?

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi guys :) long time lurker... Just got in on Friday.
Top choice, attendance very likely!!

I went through the thread, but I couldn't find any recent information regarding how long I can expect to get the log in information for admitted students as well as packets in the mail. Any ideas?

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Searchparty wrote:Hi guys :) long time lurker... Just got in on Friday.

I went through the thread, but I couldn't find any recent information regarding how long I can expect to get the log in information for admitted students as well as packets in the mail. Any ideas?

Welcome! It took me about a week to 10 days I think. Fairly fast turnaround. They may have been rushing because of the upcoming ASW but who knows

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:17 pm

trojandave wrote:

Welcome! It took me about a week to 10 days I think. Fairly fast turnaround. They may have been rushing because of the upcoming ASW but who knows

I know they were working on the packets today, because someone at the admissions office called me double-check my address

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:52 pm

vzapana wrote:
trojandave wrote:

I know they were working on the packets today, because someone at the admissions office called me double-check my address

That's good to hear. I wanna get my finaid stuff in as quickly as possible since deposit deadlines are coming up.

usafgirl

Postby usafgirl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Okay I have a room at a B and B in Cambridge http://cambridgebnb.com/ right near campus. Any females willing to split Friday through Monday? I got the military rate so it should only be about $250 a person for all three nights (or let me know if you're just looking for two nights).

As a caveat, it's a shared bath! I think it's split between 3 rooms.

usafgirl

Postby usafgirl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Yeah I'm flying out to start school visits tomorrow after work, so I'm packing now... for Harvard I'm going jeans and boots and nice sweater/collared shirt under the sweater or something equally preppy.

I think girls have it easier :D

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:14 am

I got a dorm room for free. If anyone wants a free place to sleep (on the ground), let me know. Of course, if you snore, that is going to be a problem and I will kick you out in the middle of the night.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:57 am

Wormfather wrote:
Also, guys, lets PW in this thread Wednesday night so we know what each other looks like so we can have some peeps this weekend.

This is an interesting idea. I would also like to get drinks Friday night, though my hotel is damnably far away and might make that a bad idea.

cloudatlas

Postby cloudatlas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:25 am

So after a, like, month-long absence due to crazy grad school implosions of academia, I'm pleased to show my face again aaaaaaaaaand --

Deposit: PAID.
Law School: CHOSEN.

See you fellow Crimsonites next fall :D

Also, madly delayed and my apologies, but thanks to those who posted many pages ago describing the Cambridge atmosphere - super helpful and much appreciated : )

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”