In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm

trojandave wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:On the upside, the prices at this WF are surprisingly reasonable (as far as WF goes). A lot of items are actually cheaper here than at my Midwestern WF. Off the top of my head, I saw $3.99/doz organic eggs, $6 gallon organic milk, $1.40 for larabars, $4.99/lb organic strawberries, bananas .74/lb. Just for a reference point as to what to expect.


Eichornen, meet my friend Trader Joe. I think you two will get along

Oh Joe and I are very close. In fact he's my main man. His frozen Greek yogurt is the reason I can't quit sugar.

I haven't been to the one here yet though. It better be good.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm correct in assuming any of the dorms with openings (like Gropius) would show up on huhousing.harvard.edu, right? There's just no openings?

Also, when do August 1/September 1 starting leases become the standard? It seems like everything advertised right now is available as of 6/1, and I'm fairly sure most of these places would not be interested in holding out all summer to wait for me.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Wormfather wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I'm correct in assuming any of the dorms with openings (like Gropius) would show up on huhousing.harvard.edu, right? There's just no openings?

Also, when do August 1/September 1 starting leases become the standard? It seems like everything advertised right now is available as of 6/1, and I'm fairly sure most of these places would not be interested in holding out all summer to wait for me.


Nope, HUH is for the apartments that Harvard owns. For the dorms:

--LinkRemoved--


Yep. You'll log in and proceed from here specifically: https://hahls.law.harvard.edu/StarRezPo ... fault.aspx?

If you want any of the HLS apts (3 Mellen, 5 Mellen, or 1637 Mass) or North, then sign in and get on the waitlists ASAP.

GertrudeR
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby GertrudeR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:58 pm

How long does it typically take to get the "step 3" email for your financial aid award? Will that email clarify how the required base loan works? I'm confused about what types of loans can be used for the required supplemental base loan. I just called and they said it could be private but had to be educational...and now I'm just confused about what that means and don't want to call back for the third time today. Please help! :oops:

Stinson
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Stinson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
trojandave wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:On the upside, the prices at this WF are surprisingly reasonable (as far as WF goes). A lot of items are actually cheaper here than at my Midwestern WF. Off the top of my head, I saw $3.99/doz organic eggs, $6 gallon organic milk, $1.40 for larabars, $4.99/lb organic strawberries, bananas .74/lb. Just for a reference point as to what to expect.


Eichornen, meet my friend Trader Joe. I think you two will get along

Oh Joe and I are very close. In fact he's my main man. His frozen Greek yogurt is the reason I can't quit sugar.

I haven't been to the one here yet though. It better be good.


For many items the Cambridge Trader Joe's does not beat the two Whole Foods. (There will be exceptions of course; in general meat and cheese products at Whole Foods are pricey and probably cheaper at Joe's.) Depending on where exactly you live, Joe's is also substantially more inconvenient if you walk rather than drive.

I can't speak to the law school itself, but the Prospect Street WF is probably about fifteen minutes from Harvard Square. It's a little closer to me because I live on Harvard street on the side of the square towards Central Square, which is where that WF is. There is a much larger WF down at Riverside which also sells beer and wine, but is in most other respects the same stuff as Prospect but on a larger scale. (The larger one does stock a few things the smaller one doesn't, but not significantly.)

There is also Broadway Marketplace if you want real convenience, which is probably only about five minutes from the law school and also sells liquor, beer, and wine. Its prices are extortionate, however, on many non-alcohol items. (Alcohol is about par for the course around here.) Think six dollar organic half-gallons of milk, seven dollar packages of Maine blueberries, and my personal favorite, six dollars for a half pound bag of Snyder's pretzel sticks. The product selection overall is some of the organic and local type stuff you would find at WF mixed with a lot of conventional grocery store items. The latter is good if, like me, you and your fiance have a penchant for the decidedly not healthy cereals of your childhood and you can't find Fruity Pebbles or Cinnamon Toast Crunch at WF. But fear not, your consumption will be somewhat curbed by the six dollar price tag on those rather small boxes of Frosted Flakes. It offers a ten percent discount to Harvard students.

Also worth mention is the Harvard Square Farmer's Market, which comes on Tuesdays right near the law school. It only runs about half the year, but brings good stuff when it's there. In addition to the obvious veggies and local meats and fish - there's a local Cape Cod fishery that sells scallops and such - there are also quite a few bakeries bringing all sorts of bread and pastry, and local jams and honeys. Bonus Trivia: Harvard Square has its own artisanal honey store called Follow the Honey, which is near the Berryline (the best bet for fro-yo in the Square, in my opinion) and Zinneken's, which serves Belgian waffles.

If anyone needs me to opine on local restaurants, I am happy to do that as well.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm

TripTrip wrote:I'm correct in assuming any of the dorms with openings (like Gropius) would show up on huhousing.harvard.edu, right? There's just no openings?

Also, when do August 1/September 1 starting leases become the standard? It seems like everything advertised right now is available as of 6/1, and I'm fairly sure most of these places would not be interested in holding out all summer to wait for me.


Also, according to the move-in page, the move-in date for 1Ls is August 30th. (Orientation starts September 2nd. :? )

What about requesting an early arrival, you say?

Early Arrival
Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate any earlier move in dates or times. The only exception to this is Harvard Law Review students, who can begin moving in on 8/4/2013 using the procedures outlined in the Late Arrival section. Any other students arriving before their designated Official Move In dates may refer to the Short Term Housing options for temporary housing.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby trojandave » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Stinson wrote:For many items the Cambridge Trader Joe's does not beat the two Whole Foods. (There will be exceptions of course; in general meat and cheese products at Whole Foods are pricey and probably cheaper at Joe's.) Depending on where exactly you live, Joe's is also substantially more inconvenient if you walk rather than drive.

I can't speak to the law school itself, but the Prospect Street WF is probably about fifteen minutes from Harvard Square. It's a little closer to me because I live on Harvard street on the side of the square towards Central Square, which is where that WF is. There is a much larger WF down at Riverside which also sells beer and wine, but is in most other respects the same stuff as Prospect but on a larger scale. (The larger one does stock a few things the smaller one doesn't, but not significantly.)

There is also Broadway Marketplace if you want real convenience, which is probably only about five minutes from the law school and also sells liquor, beer, and wine. Its prices are extortionate, however, on many non-alcohol items. (Alcohol is about par for the course around here.) Think six dollar organic half-gallons of milk, seven dollar packages of Maine blueberries, and my personal favorite, six dollars for a half pound bag of Snyder's pretzel sticks. The product selection overall is some of the organic and local type stuff you would find at WF mixed with a lot of conventional grocery store items. The latter is good if, like me, you and your fiance have a penchant for the decidedly not healthy cereals of your childhood and you can't find Fruity Pebbles or Cinnamon Toast Crunch at WF. But fear not, your consumption will be somewhat curbed by the six dollar price tag on those rather small boxes of Frosted Flakes. It offers a ten percent discount to Harvard students.

Also worth mention is the Harvard Square Farmer's Market, which comes on Tuesdays right near the law school. It only runs about half the year, but brings good stuff when it's there. In addition to the obvious veggies and local meats and fish - there's a local Cape Cod fishery that sells scallops and such - there are also quite a few bakeries bringing all sorts of bread and pastry, and local jams and honeys. Bonus Trivia: Harvard Square has its own artisanal honey store called Follow the Honey, which is near the Berryline (the best bet for fro-yo in the Square, in my opinion) and Zinneken's, which serves Belgian waffles.

If anyone needs me to opine on local restaurants, I am happy to do that as well.


This is awesome, thanks!

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby trojandave » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:19 pm

GertrudeR wrote:How long does it typically take to get the "step 3" email for your financial aid award? Will that email clarify how the required base loan works? I'm confused about what types of loans can be used for the required supplemental base loan. I just called and they said it could be private but had to be educational...and now I'm just confused about what that means and don't want to call back for the third time today. Please help! :oops:


Stage 3 took a long time for me, but I sent my financial aid stuff in really early too. My guess is you'll get it soon since it's crunch time. But from what I understand, the base loan can be made up of whatever you want. Most people will use the Stafford for 20k of it, but the rest can be private loans, Harvard Loans, Perkins loans... (When they say private educational loans, they just mean the loan has to earmarked for education, not like something you'd go get from a loan shark or a shady private lender. Anything you're looking at with Discover, Sallie Mae, major banks etc, will be an educational loan so you'll be ok.) But I don't think you have to use any of these options in particular, you just need to pay the school and those are the options they give you. If you want to do entirely private I think you can. If you want to do it entirely with stafford and grad plus, you can. You should apply for private loans and get some interest rates so you can start comparing to the federal and Harvard rates. Then when you get your stage 3 email it'll be easy

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

Glad I asked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jaqen wrote:the move-in date for 1Ls is August 30th. (Orientation starts September 2nd. :? )

That is a little strange, but moving into a mostly furnished dorm room on Friday for classes that start the following Wednesday isn't that unrealistic. How much settling do you need to do?

User avatar
broadstreet11
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby broadstreet11 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Jaqen wrote:the move-in date for 1Ls is August 30th. (Orientation starts September 2nd. :? )

That is a little strange, but moving into a mostly furnished dorm room on Friday for classes that start the following Wednesday isn't that unrealistic. How much settling do you need to do?[/quote]

Do the classes actually start Wednesday? I thought they started the following monday[quote="TripTrip"]Glad I asked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:11 pm

You're right, I was looking at the wrong year: http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/ca ... 13-14.html

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Jaqen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:18 pm

TripTrip wrote:Glad I asked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jaqen wrote:the move-in date for 1Ls is August 30th. (Orientation starts September 2nd. :? )

That is a little strange, but moving into a mostly furnished dorm room on Friday for classes that start the following Wednesday isn't that unrealistic. How much settling do you need to do?


I'd prefer a lot more than that, but it's a trade-off ofc. 9 month lease plus furnishings means I'm on a few of the waitlists.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby jselson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Anyone else fill out their loan application? On it, the government has a very nice option that just says, "Take out the maximum loan," rather than, "Take out $80,000." It's like the equivalent of refusing to check your bank account when you're quickly going broke because you know that just seeing the number will throw you into depression, which will cause you to want to head to a bar, which will drain your account faster. So instead you skip checking your account and just head straight to the bar, because it's not real money, right?!

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Dude, don't be the guy that acts depressed about going to Harvard Law :wink: . You're on easy street for the rest of your life.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby trojandave » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:34 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Dude, don't be the guy that acts depressed about going to Harvard Law :wink: . You're on easy street for the rest of your life.


Seriously, bra. I mean what's 250k in debt for a recent law grad these days anyway?? We'll drive cars that cost more than that as summer associates. F it, I'm doubling down on my loans so I can have a yacht for some first year R&R. So pumped about Easy Street, guys!

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby jselson » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:45 pm

trojandave wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:Dude, don't be the guy that acts depressed about going to Harvard Law :wink: . You're on easy street for the rest of your life.


Seriously, bra. I mean what's 250k in debt for a recent law grad these days anyway?? We'll drive cars that cost more than that as summer associates. F it, I'm doubling down on my loans so I can have a yacht for some first year R&R. So pumped about Easy Street, guys!


Fer real.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Our thread is so very dead guys. :|

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I've done pretty much nothing productive this summer. I've watched a ton of TV shows I wanted to catch up on, started working out again, and drank a lot of beer. Anyone else with me on this or am I already behind the curve?

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby trojandave » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Our thread is so very dead guys. :|


Yeah it's weird how the cycle ramped way up for so many months and now the TLS side is just over. Hopefully we'll get some info on orientation and section assignments soon so we can chat about that. It'll be cool to see which of us are in the same sections

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby trojandave » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:I've done pretty much nothing productive this summer. I've watched a ton of TV shows I wanted to catch up on, started working out again, and drank a lot of beer. Anyone else with me on this or am I already behind the curve?


You can never be behind on the beer curve. Just being on the curve is winning

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:I've done pretty much nothing productive this summer. I've watched a ton of TV shows I wanted to catch up on, started working out again, and drank a lot of beer. Anyone else with me on this or am I already behind the curve?

Nope, I have heard so many times that there's nothing at all we can do to prepare, that there's a better chance that we'll end up hurting ourselves via self prep, and that we should do nothing but drink and watch movies. So I'm watching West Wing and cooking. I'm also making great progress on Mad Men on Netflix.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Haha good to see I'm not behind. Anyone know when we get section info? For some reason I thought it was right before/during orientation, and not during the summer.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby jselson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:05 pm

I've been reading Getting to Maybe (it's great), and I might have a legal assistant position set-up for the summer (I've never worked in a firm environment before, so even tho it's not much, it might be helpful). That's about it for prep. Obv gonna read Crime & Punishment, The Bros Karamazov, and Law's Empire before classes start.

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Our thread is so very dead guys. :|


So true. I have been furnishing the apartment here in Cambridge.

Really wish I could go to the gym, but I don't have an ID yet.

I want to buy The Last of Us and play it before school starts if possible. I practice a strict policy of no gaming during the academic year.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:54 pm

jselson wrote:I've been reading Getting to Maybe (it's great), and I might have a legal assistant position set-up for the summer (I've never worked in a firm environment before, so even tho it's not much, it might be helpful). That's about it for prep. Obv gonna read Crime & Punishment, The Bros Karamazov, and Law's Empire before classes start.

Yea and I'm starting Game of Thrones and rereading Harry Potter so I guess we'll both be pretty well prepared. :P

bosmer88 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Our thread is so very dead guys. :|


So true. I have been furnishing the apartment here in Cambridge.

Really wish I could go to the gym, but I don't have an ID yet.

I want to buy The Last of Us and play it before school starts if possible. I practice a strict policy of no gaming during the academic year.

I'm moving soon and wondered about the gym. How do we get an ID for it? In the "ask" thread someone said we already have our memberships. I don't wanna be gymless, wah.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DoYouEvenTLS, liuwenyu, NavyNuke, ramp_999 and 14 guests