In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jychun412
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby jychun412 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:42 pm

MAHamlin wrote:
jychun412 wrote:Did any of 5/24 WL admits receive admittance letter package already?
I received a postcard and HLS baggage tag yesterday but not the letter.


I'm a 5/24 admit and I just got the admissions packet and tag today in Indianapolis.

ETA: My deposit deadline is 6/21.


okay. thanks! i guess i should be receiving my packet soon.

User avatar
Forumbrowser45
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Forumbrowser45 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Yeah, I got the tag yesterday, gonna go check the mail to see if I got the packet today.

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby kulshan » Fri May 31, 2013 5:36 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:What bank is everyone looking to use? I have Wells Fargo right now, and there aren't any locations in Mass. I'm between Bank of America and Citi. Any advice?


I was able to open an account at Harvard University Employees Credit Union over the internet, so that's what I did. The main branch is in Harvard Square, and I prefer a credit union, so I went with it. https://www.huecu.org/

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri May 31, 2013 6:17 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:What bank is everyone looking to use? I have Wells Fargo right now, and there aren't any locations in Mass. I'm between Bank of America and Citi. Any advice?


I hadn't even thought of this. I use HSBC and the nearest one to HLS is probably the one I use now in NYC. This sucks

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Fri May 31, 2013 7:00 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
broadstreet11 wrote:What bank is everyone looking to use? I have Wells Fargo right now, and there aren't any locations in Mass. I'm between Bank of America and Citi. Any advice?


I hadn't even thought of this. I use HSBC and the nearest one to HLS is probably the one I use now in NYC. This sucks

+1

The credit union thing sounds reasonable, though.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri May 31, 2013 7:38 pm

MAHamlin wrote:
jychun412 wrote:Did any of 5/24 WL admits receive admittance letter package already?
I received a postcard and HLS baggage tag yesterday but not the letter.


I'm a 5/24 admit and I just got the admissions packet and tag today in Indianapolis.

ETA: My deposit deadline is 6/21.

No signed books eh? I didn't get one. I feel less special. :-P

EdSaid
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby EdSaid » Fri May 31, 2013 10:57 pm

Is anyone else having a problem creating an application on HAHLS? I canceled my old application (btw, there's now a free room in Hastings) and tried to start a new one. It only lets me get to the Personal Details stage and says Step 3 (Profile) is closed.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby LexLeon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:27 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Why don't you just get a bike? Boom, 30 minute walk turns into 10 minute bike ride. Problem solved.


+1

Few appreciate the benefits of the bicycle.

User avatar
Kitkatt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Kitkatt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:04 pm

EdSaid wrote:Is anyone else having a problem creating an application on HAHLS? I canceled my old application (btw, there's now a free room in Hastings) and tried to start a new one. It only lets me get to the Personal Details stage and says Step 3 (Profile) is closed.


I'm having the same problem. I can't get to the room selection page at all.

EdSaid
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby EdSaid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Kitkatt wrote:
EdSaid wrote:Is anyone else having a problem creating an application on HAHLS? I canceled my old application (btw, there's now a free room in Hastings) and tried to start a new one. It only lets me get to the Personal Details stage and says Step 3 (Profile) is closed.


I'm having the same problem. I can't get to the room selection page at all.


Did you just cancel an application? I couldn't access it all weekend after I cancelled an application, but then today it worked just fine.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Oh my god, hotel prices are making me very sad. I want to do the Priceline name your own price, but alas I have a car and it doesn't specify parking or not.

I seriously should have packed a tent.

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Oh my god, hotel prices are making me very sad. I want to do the Priceline name your own price, but alas I have a car and it doesn't specify parking or not.

I seriously should have packed a tent.


Do you have to bring your car? Bringing a car to Cambridge looks like a pain (and seems expensive), even for a visit. Train, plane, or bus perhaps? I feel you on the hotel prices though.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby sabanist » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:30 pm

You could conceivably park at the airport and bus/T your way around if your hotel doesn't end up having a place for you.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:49 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Oh my god, hotel prices are making me very sad. I want to do the Priceline name your own price, but alas I have a car and it doesn't specify parking or not.

I seriously should have packed a tent.


Do you have to bring your car? Bringing a car to Cambridge looks like a pain (and seems expensive), even for a visit. Train, plane, or bus perhaps? I feel you on the hotel prices though.

I'm driving so I'm probs gonna need it.

Good tip sabanist, thanks. Mass transit is totally foreign to me (sadly) so I'm just like "what is this how do I do it" and will likely screw it up for a little bit.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Jaqen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 am

For anyone keeping track: I got the File Ready for Review email last Thursday and received my aid package this morning.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Jaqen wrote:For anyone keeping track: I got the File Ready for Review email last Thursday and received my aid package this morning.

So they marked every document as "received" yesterday for me. I'm just waiting for review now, right?

MAHamlin
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby MAHamlin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:49 pm

I received my aid package last night after going under review last Thursday. There was an error, but they were very quick to correct it once I asked about it and they had a revised package put together within two hours of my phone call this morning. I'm very impressed with how quickly they got everything put together and how helpful their office has been.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Jaqen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:21 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Jaqen wrote:For anyone keeping track: I got the File Ready for Review email last Thursday and received my aid package this morning.

So they marked every document as "received" yesterday for me. I'm just waiting for review now, right?


Yep.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Ok I hope all the brokers in this city aren't as awful as the one I just had contact with. It takes true talent to make someone who is wants a place give it up because you are so horrendous they don't want to have to contact you. :lol:

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Searchparty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Ok I hope all the brokers in this city aren't as awful as the one I just had contact with. It takes true talent to make someone who is wants a place give it up because you are so horrendous they don't want to have to contact you. :lol:


Good luck..

nbagirl73
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby nbagirl73 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:05 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Oh my god, hotel prices are making me very sad. I want to do the Priceline name your own price, but alas I have a car and it doesn't specify parking or not.

I seriously should have packed a tent.


You should be able to street park in Allston (across the river, by the Business School) for free for a couple days if you're dilligent and read the street cleaning signs, and then you can take the t to wherever you're staying. Look near the intersection of Soldier's Field Road and Western Ave. to start. If you're nervous just come back and move your car every day but it should be fine.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:59 pm

nbagirl73 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Oh my god, hotel prices are making me very sad. I want to do the Priceline name your own price, but alas I have a car and it doesn't specify parking or not.

I seriously should have packed a tent.


You should be able to street park in Allston (across the river, by the Business School) for free for a couple days if you're dilligent and read the street cleaning signs, and then you can take the t to wherever you're staying. Look near the intersection of Soldier's Field Road and Western Ave. to start. If you're nervous just come back and move your car every day but it should be fine.

Nice! Thanks for that info.

Oh and a Cambridge PSA: the Whole Foods is pretty great here.

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Searchparty » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
nbagirl73 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Oh my god, hotel prices are making me very sad. I want to do the Priceline name your own price, but alas I have a car and it doesn't specify parking or not.

I seriously should have packed a tent.


You should be able to street park in Allston (across the river, by the Business School) for free for a couple days if you're dilligent and read the street cleaning signs, and then you can take the t to wherever you're staying. Look near the intersection of Soldier's Field Road and Western Ave. to start. If you're nervous just come back and move your car every day but it should be fine.

Nice! Thanks for that info.

Oh and a Cambridge PSA: the Whole Foods is pretty great here.


Just curious if you walked there from HLS; if so, how long did it take?

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 am

Searchparty wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
nbagirl73 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Oh my god, hotel prices are making me very sad. I want to do the Priceline name your own price, but alas I have a car and it doesn't specify parking or not.

I seriously should have packed a tent.


You should be able to street park in Allston (across the river, by the Business School) for free for a couple days if you're dilligent and read the street cleaning signs, and then you can take the t to wherever you're staying. Look near the intersection of Soldier's Field Road and Western Ave. to start. If you're nervous just come back and move your car every day but it should be fine.

Nice! Thanks for that info.

Oh and a Cambridge PSA: the Whole Foods is pretty great here.


Just curious if you walked there from HLS; if so, how long did it take?

I actually passed it as I was driving out of town to my hotel. I'd estimate that it would take about 25-30 minutes to walk it. Maybe less if you're particularly enthusiastic.

On the upside, the prices at this WF are surprisingly reasonable (as far as WF goes). A lot of items are actually cheaper here than at my Midwestern WF. Off the top of my head, I saw $3.99/doz organic eggs, $6 gallon organic milk, $1.40 for larabars, $4.99/lb organic strawberries, bananas .74/lb. Just for a reference point as to what to expect.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby trojandave » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 am

Eichörnchen wrote:On the upside, the prices at this WF are surprisingly reasonable (as far as WF goes). A lot of items are actually cheaper here than at my Midwestern WF. Off the top of my head, I saw $3.99/doz organic eggs, $6 gallon organic milk, $1.40 for larabars, $4.99/lb organic strawberries, bananas .74/lb. Just for a reference point as to what to expect.


Eichornen, meet my friend Trader Joe. I think you two will get along




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”