In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MAHamlin

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby MAHamlin » Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Checking in. I never actually believed I would have a legitimate reason to post here. I'm still shocked and overwhelmed.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:36 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:HLS email account now set up. Shit is getting real.

Congrats and welcome to all the newly admitted! :)

I just turned in my lease for housing. It finally feels real for me.

TrustInMusic

Postby TrustInMusic » Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Welcome, new Harbros

Skier

Postby Skier » Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Truly grateful & excited to be checking in here. Still feels surreal (Got the call 5 hours ago)

Maybe after I sleep & wake up, the shock will wear off. Anyway, totally stoked to be joining you guys in Boston!

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Skier wrote:Truly grateful & excited to be checking in here. Still feels surreal (Got the call 5 hours ago)

Maybe after I sleep & wake up, the shock will wear off. Anyway, totally stoked to be joining you guys in Boston!

Nah. Wait to you start having to causally bring it up in conversation. "So what are you up to?" "What's next for you?" etc.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri May 24, 2013 8:19 pm

wert3813 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Hi.

Wasn't very nice of you to make Harvard wait so long.
Yeah, how could I?!

wert3813 wrote:
Skier wrote:Truly grateful & excited to be checking in here. Still feels surreal (Got the call 5 hours ago)

Nah. Wait to you start having to causally bring it up in conversation. "So what are you up to?" "What's next for you?" etc.
I feel like there would be more shock & awe if there hadn't been a JS1b two days before. Damn Harvard ruining my moment. :wink:

You're definitely right about the conversation thing though. Since I from a state university, not many people believe it right at first.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Fri May 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Checking in! OMG you guysisthisreallllll?!?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
dawyzest1 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Just found out I'm in! Crazy. :)

As someone who wants to live alone, and being late in the game, I'm nervous about housing. Somehow I doubt that 750/month will get me a one bed with a large patio and parking, all five minutes from the school, like I had set up for uva.:-P

Too lazy to do the math, but I think $750/month will get you the smallest room in the Gropius dorms with a communal bathroom to boot. Gotta love that Boston COL.

A yucky communal bathroom... :x I consider myself a generous person, but not with sharing bathrooms. Too many horror stories, too many things that can (and often do) go wrong.

I refuse to even have a roommate. Yucky communal bathroom? Aw hell no. :lol: I will also be sad to see my dreams of a little veggie garden die. I guess indoor herbs will have to suffice. Harvard > vegetables.

Oh and all this talk of signed books makes me wish I got in sooner. :-P

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Fri May 24, 2013 10:54 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:^Thanks!

I've been reading through this thread... apparently admits received a carefully chosen book with a note and the author's signature?? I hope they're still doing this!

Congrats, and out of curiosity, how long to they give you to decide whether or not to accept their offer?

Hmm. They didn't say in the acceptance email and the admitted students site is still saying May 1st.

Am I missing something Harbros or have they not said yet? Maybe it'll be in the admissions packet.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:I refuse to even have a roommate. Yucky communal bathroom? Aw hell no. :lol: I will also be sad to see my dreams of a little veggie garden die. I guess indoor herbs will have to suffice. Harvard > vegetables.

I feel ya. I like my space too.

I think you might still get the book. It just showed up in my mailbox one day, though I haven't touched it yet.

jychun412

Postby jychun412 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:30 am

I was admitted today. When are we expected to pay the deposit?
I want to make a deposit before I withdraw from columbia.

Forumbrowser45

Postby Forumbrowser45 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:03 am

I don't think I've ever been so excited to make a seat deposit costing hundreds of dollars before.

Fry, take my money, etc.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Sat May 25, 2013 9:03 am

Forumbrowser45 wrote:I don't think I've ever been so excited to make a seat deposit costing hundreds of dollars before.

Fry, take my money, etc.

I would literally donate plasma at this point if that's what it took to go to Harvard.

In other news: HOOORAYYYYYY!

GertrudeR

Postby GertrudeR » Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Jaqen wrote:
dawyzest1 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:^Thanks!

I've been reading through this thread... apparently admits received a carefully chosen book with a note and the author's signature?? I hope they're still doing this!

Congrats, and out of curiosity, how long to they give you to decide whether or not to accept their offer?

Hmm. They didn't say in the acceptance email and the admitted students site is still saying May 1st.

Am I missing something Harbros or have they not said yet? Maybe it'll be in the admissions packet.

Ya it's in the admissions packet. The deadline for me is June 14th.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Golly gee these rents in Cambridge are terrible. The QOL per dollar was better when I was looking for apartments in downtown Chicago.

Is the thing to do live close to the law school, or live close to the T and take a train in for class?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat May 25, 2013 4:07 pm

TripTrip wrote:Golly gee these rents in Cambridge are terrible. The QOL per dollar was better when I was looking for apartments in downtown Chicago.

Is the thing to do live close to the law school, or live close to the T and take a train in for class?

You regretting getting in off the waitlist already? Usually it takes at least the first class to get to that sentiment...

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 25, 2013 4:22 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Golly gee these rents in Cambridge are terrible. The QOL per dollar was better when I was looking for apartments in downtown Chicago.

You regretting getting in off the waitlist already? Usually it takes at least the first class to get to that sentiment...

Chicago wasn't my alternate, it was just an expensive area for comparison. You won't find me regretting Harvard, especially since I was considering retaking and reapplying if I didn't get in this cycle. :D

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:28 pm

I will live close to the law school simply because I do not know *anyone* in Cambridge nor Boston. I was thinking about places that are further away and cheaper, but I'd really like to mingle and meet new people my first year and then move to a cheaper place for the 2nd and 3rd year.

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Sat May 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Yeah, I was excited about getting a bunch of aid because I have a family, until I realized I'll be spending >$26k for the first year alone on rent.

There are a lot of much cheaper places further from HLS, for example in Allston, Brighton, Somerville, Watertown, etc... but the cost and time required to fly up and find a place without knowing the area was a little too much for us (not to mention we'd have to pay about 3-4 months rent upfront after broker's fee, deposit, etc.). We'll be close to campus 1L and probably be moving somewhere cheaper after that. If you live close enough and/or know anybody that could show you the ropes, finding somewhere close to public transportation but further from campus wouldn't be a bad idea.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Every 1L I've talked to says just bite the bullet and live close your first year. If you are that concerned about money then Gropius is the answer.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat May 25, 2013 10:39 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:I refuse to even have a roommate. Yucky communal bathroom? Aw hell no. :lol: I will also be sad to see my dreams of a little veggie garden die. I guess indoor herbs will have to suffice. Harvard > vegetables.

I feel ya. I like my space too.

I think you might still get the book. It just showed up in my mailbox one day, though I haven't touched it yet.

That would be excellent.

And TripTrip I feel you on rent. It's about 4 times what I pay at home. I died a little inside when I saw the numbers. I have a feeling I'll also be paying a premium for food.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 25, 2013 11:21 pm

wert3813 wrote:

Every 1L I've talked to says just bite the bullet and live close your first year.

This is actually what I was hoping to hear. As much as I have enjoyed being debt-free so far in my academic pursuits, I don't like hassles.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:43 pm

Close defined as biking distance. Not metro difference. With the understanding that biking in Boston in February is pretty terrible.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 25, 2013 11:47 pm

wert3813 wrote:Close defined as biking distance. Not metro difference. With the understanding that biking in Boston in February is pretty terrible.

Boston in February
Where I'm from in February

I don't know what you're talking about. Those Boston temps are tee-shirt weather!

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun May 26, 2013 11:20 am

TripTrip wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Close defined as biking distance. Not metro difference. With the understanding that biking in Boston in February is pretty terrible.

Boston in February
Where I'm from in February

I don't know what you're talking about. Those Boston temps are tee-shirt weather!

:shock:
I don't know what I was expecting, but this is what I'm used to.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”