WLed and interview offered maybe too early - NEED ADVICE!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ramsey

WLed and interview offered maybe too early - NEED ADVICE!

Postby Ramsey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:47 am

I was just asked to schedule an interview with a school I have recently been waitlisted at.

This is definitely one of my top choices, and I would love to go there over other schools I have so far admitted, including some higher-ranked ones. The thing is, (1) I haven't heard back from all other schools, and (2) money is a big concern for me (I'm in the middle of negotiating).

From past cycles (at least for this particular school) it seems like interview offer = very likely to be accepted. I also heard that if accepted off the WL, I will be given a short deposit deadline whether to accept the offer and be done with the cycle. However, I don't want to commit just yet as I haven't seen all my options. I will explain my circumstances during the interview, but I am afraid if my hesitation would put off my chance for ever.

If anyone has/heard similar experiences, please share with me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wert3813

Re: WLed and interview offered maybe too early - NEED ADVICE!

Postby wert3813 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:52 am

Ramsey wrote:I was just asked to schedule an interview with a school I have recently been waitlisted at.

This is definitely one of my top choices, and I would love to go there over other schools I have so far admitted, including some higher-ranked ones. The thing is, (1) I haven't heard back from all other schools, and (2) money is a big concern for me (I'm in the middle of negotiating).

From past cycles (at least for this particular school) it seems like interview offer = very likely to be accepted. I also heard that if accepted off the WL, I will be given a short deposit deadline whether to accept the offer and be done with the cycle. However, I don't want to commit just yet as I haven't seen all my options. I will explain my circumstances during the interview, but I am afraid if my hesitation would put off my chance for ever.

If anyone has/heard similar experiences, please share with me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You may be out some money but schools can't require you to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from yet. Yale's admissions blog did a piece on this.

Accept, pay the seat deposit, withdraw from schools you've heard from and wait for the others. Also, someone will come along and know better, but I'm 90% sure schools cannot require a seat deposit before April 1st.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 am

Ramsey wrote:I also heard that if accepted off the WL, I will be given a short deposit deadline whether to accept the offer and be done with the cycle.

Like wert said, that's not true until April.

The reason it's true after April is because the school wants to move on to the next candidate if you don't want it so they can fill their class before the semester starts.

Ramsey

Postby Ramsey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 am

@wert and TripTrip, thanks for the explanation! I hope things work out for the best in the end.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”