Texas Wesleyan 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
txlaw2013

Texas Wesleyan 2013

Postby txlaw2013 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Anybody else thinking about attending school here?

nirvanah

Re: Texas Wesleyan 2013

Postby nirvanah » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:01 pm

I have an application there. Not really considering it due to the stuff ive read about it on TLS. I have an application as a safety net in case I dont get into SMU. And I have SMU as a safety net in case I can't move out of state to DC/NY area.

law1992

Postby law1992 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Yea I'm applying here

Casper.Cain

Postby Casper.Cain » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Has anyone found any information regarding the Texas A&M acquisition??

maybemercer

Postby maybemercer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Casper.Cain wrote:Has anyone found any information regarding the Texas A&M acquisition??

http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/2013/01/24/texas-am-is-one-step-closer-to-obtaining-law-and-health-related-schools/

There appears to be steady progression regarding the TxWes/TAMU deal. I'm still wait for the logo to change before making a decision.

law1992

Postby law1992 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:48 pm

maybemercer wrote:
Casper.Cain wrote:Has anyone found any information regarding the Texas A&M acquisition??

http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/2013/01/24/texas-am-is-one-step-closer-to-obtaining-law-and-health-related-schools/

There appears to be steady progression regarding the TxWes/TAMU deal. I'm still wait for the logo to change before making a decision.

I thought they purchased it already? I am currently a student at A&M. Might have read wrong.

nirvanah

Postby nirvanah » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 am

law1992 wrote:
maybemercer wrote:

I thought they purchased it already? I am currently a student at A&M. Might have read wrong.

It takes a while to finalize something like that. They are still in agreement. I think the final paperwork was supposed to bne this year.Not sure how it affects current students or students starting this fall...a degree that reads A&M will have more recognition than one that reads TW for sure.

txtochitown

Postby txtochitown » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 am

nirvanah wrote:
law1992 wrote:
maybemercer wrote:

It takes a while to finalize something like that. They are still in agreement. I think the final paperwork was supposed to bne this year.Not sure how it affects current students or students starting this fall...a degree that reads A&M will have more recognition than one that reads TW for sure.

A&M is suppose to take "ownership" in June if all goes according to plan. If you go to TW in Fall before A&M starts its first official class in 2014 you would be transitioned under the A&M name. Past graduates I think have the option of getting their diploma reprinted under the A&M name as well. A plus is that it becomes a public institution in 2014 which means lower tuition and more scholarship money! You're eligible for the aggie ring as well. Only reason I'm considering TW is for the A&M name that is coming. A&M has more recoginition in Texas & elsewhere than TW regardless of the ranking IMO. :)

busted

Postby busted » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:58 pm

txtochitown wrote:A&M is suppose to take "ownership" in June if all goes according to plan. If you go to TW in Fall before A&M starts its first official class in 2014 you would be transitioned under the A&M name. Past graduates I think have the option of getting their diploma reprinted under the A&M name as well. A plus is that it becomes a public institution in 2014 which means lower tuition and more scholarship money! You're eligible for the aggie ring as well. Only reason I'm considering TW is for the A&M name that is coming. A&M has more recoginition in Texas & elsewhere than TW regardless of the ranking IMO. :)

Can I point out that although, yes, A&M has better name recognition than Texas Wesleyan it won't make the school magically better over night. It still won't have the kinds of alumni network to improve career opportunities and it will take time, if ever, for that to improve even with the superior name. The school may or may not have a substantially different academic program that could mean it either stays a T4 indefinitely or tries to push its way into a T3 or even T2 school in a few years. Like most law schools, its admissions are trending down rather than up so A&M may not see value in dumping a lot of cash into the school to not get it back out. Lots of professors are fearful they will be cut but nothing is for sure yet.

TW suffers from the same problems as most other T4 schools: low career opportunities. It doesn't matter if A&M hires the entire HLS teaching staff to replace the current professors. It doesn't matter if they start offering a bunch of new certificate programs on top of your JD (as A&M is saying they plan to do). None of those things will get you any closer to a job from that school. The CSO is terrible in every sense. They could do a lot to build strong networks in the local area and dramatically improve career opportunities and build the school's brand but they don't. The school has no administrative standards and no serious concern about their status.

A&M might come in and clear house and make some big changes but I wouldn't rely on that assumption until it happens. Even if they do it will probably take years to build up the credibility and network of the school to a place that would make it competitive for jobs in Texas. I surely would not rely on the Aggie name alone to land a job.

(I am not hating the school to hate, I'm an alumnus.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”