South Texas College of Law Fall 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
masterkey1

New

Re: South Texas College of Law Fall 2013

Post by masterkey1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi everyone! Congrats to those that gained admission :)

I just applied to stcl today! I'm really hoping to get in. Lsat is a concern though. What are my chances with a 3.58 gpa and a 145 lsat?

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:04 pm

masterkey1 wrote:Hi everyone! Congrats to those that gained admission :)

I just applied to stcl today! I'm really hoping to get in. Lsat is a concern though. What are my chances with a 3.58 gpa and a 145 lsat?
You have a good gpa. I honestly don't know about your chances with that lsat and seriously feel like you should retake. Right now it honestly doesn't look too good with that lsat score. Are you a urm though? Either way have you thought about retaking?

masterkey1

New

Post by masterkey1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Yes, I took the Feb. lsat and am waiting for my score. Hopefully I will receive a higher score. I am a URM.

Parsapar

New

Post by Parsapar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:22 am

masterkey1 wrote:Yes, I took the Feb. lsat and am waiting for my score. Hopefully I will receive a higher score. I am a URM.
URM definitely helps. I can see that working in your favor. With a 145 getting on the wait list might be what ends up happening. But good luck to you! Hopefully the Feb score is higher so you won't have to worry about anything.

law1992

New

Post by law1992 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:22 am

masterkey1 wrote:Yes, I took the Feb. lsat and am waiting for my score. Hopefully I will receive a higher score. I am a URM.

I've seen at least two people with 147 LSAT and high GPA get into STCL on LSN. You might have a decent shot. I retook in February too just for STCL. Good luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

masterkey1

New

Post by masterkey1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Thank you everyone! I'm determined to go to STCL, so I suppose the worst case scenario is that I will have to shoot for spring admission. The lsat is my main frustration-- Good gpa, LOR's, statement, resume.. all that. *sigh*

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:28 pm

masterkey1 wrote:Thank you everyone! I'm determined to go to STCL, so I suppose the worst case scenario is that I will have to shoot for spring admission. The lsat is my main frustration-- Good gpa, LOR's, statement, resume.. all that. *sigh*
Your gpa is decent for them, and above ther 75th percentile. Honestly, for STCL, in your situation you really just need to get like a 150 and with your URM boost you'd be a lock, imo. Plus, with that lsat and the urm boost you'd probably get some money as well.

Parsapar

New

Post by Parsapar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:09 am

potterpirate04 wrote:
masterkey1 wrote:Thank you everyone! I'm determined to go to STCL, so I suppose the worst case scenario is that I will have to shoot for spring admission. The lsat is my main frustration-- Good gpa, LOR's, statement, resume.. all that. *sigh*
Your gpa is decent for them, and above ther 75th percentile. Honestly, for STCL, in your situation you really just need to get like a 150 and with your URM boost you'd be a lock, imo. Plus, with that lsat and the urm boost you'd probably get some money as well.
Have you decided whether you'll be attending STCL or not? Or are you still waiting on scholarships to be sent out and then make a decision?

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:26 am

Parsapar wrote: Have you decided whether you'll be attending STCL or not? Or are you still waiting on scholarships to be sent out and then make a decision?
Pretty sure I'm gonna be heading there this fall. It'd be great if I can squeeze out something from them. Gonna call them in a few days/weeks and see what they say. But even if I don't get a lot, my cost of attendance is still low because I'd be living with my family in Houston both during law school and maybe a few years afterwards. If I can even keep the debt at/around 80k and lived at home for a little while I think it's manageable. I have no problem with that anyway.

What about you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Parsapar

New

Post by Parsapar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:06 pm

potterpirate04 wrote:
Parsapar wrote: Have you decided whether you'll be attending STCL or not? Or are you still waiting on scholarships to be sent out and then make a decision?
Pretty sure I'm gonna be heading there this fall. It'd be great if I can squeeze out something from them. Gonna call them in a few days/weeks and see what they say. But even if I don't get a lot, my cost of attendance is still low because I'd be living with my family in Houston both during law school and maybe a few years afterwards. If I can even keep the debt at/around 80k and lived at home for a little while I think it's manageable. I have no problem with that anyway.

What about you?
I actually put in my seat deposit last monday! Now I'm just trying to relax for the next few months until school starts. I would love some money but it wasn't a defining factor in whether I would be going or not.

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:41 am

In via status checker 2/15/13 - 156 / 3.0

JS281

New

Post by JS281 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 pm

I just talked to an Admissions woman about scholarship stuff and she said that they will be sending out all of the offers in the next couple of weeks. She also said that the scholarships are based on where each person is based on their GPA and LSAT medians.

Oh and she did say that each scholarship is a pretty fixed number but after I get mine I'm going to try to get it bumped up anyways.

maybemercer

New

Post by maybemercer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:23 pm

I've been complete since 10/23. This may be a record...4mo. without any correspondence. I would withdraw however after putting in the time to apply (and money) I feel at the very least I deserve a decision on my file.

Has anyone else waited this long?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:30 pm

JS281 wrote:I just talked to an Admissions woman about scholarship stuff and she said that they will be sending out all of the offers in the next couple of weeks. She also said that the scholarships are based on where each person is based on their GPA and LSAT medians.

Oh and she did say that each scholarship is a pretty fixed number but after I get mine I'm going to try to get it bumped up anyways.
Wow thanks for that info! Good to know they'll be sending out offers. My gpa is at their 75th percentile but my lsat is exactly at their 25th. Maybe I can scrape a little something? Even a tiny bit would help.

@maybemercer: have you tried calling the office? I'd say definitely wait till March. According to LSN they are gonna continue to roll out decisions for a while, through May even. But definitely call them. What are your stats, btw?

Parsapar

New

Post by Parsapar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 am

ryoung81 wrote:In via status checker 2/15/13 - 156 / 3.0
Congrats! Do you plan on attending?

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 am

Parsapar wrote:
ryoung81 wrote:In via status checker 2/15/13 - 156 / 3.0
Congrats! Do you plan on attending?

Most likely, I'm waiting to see if I get any $$$, but not holding my breath given my numbers.

I'm not a 'conventional' student and will be in the part time program, I work full-time a few block away -- so it's an easy call for me. My biggest decision is how it will affect my family (wife and 2 year old) being gone all the time.

veag09

New

Post by veag09 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:05 pm

ryoung81 you and I sound very similar. I too work a few blocks away and am shooting for PT. No children yet but a newlywed. Congrats on your acceptance! I'm still waiting to hear.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Speaking of part time, I'm considering switching to part time after my first year (saves a LOT of money), but I'm not sure if going part time effects employment prospects. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't, but I just wanted to see if other people had heard about this? Do you think prospective employers frown upon part time graduates and try to get full time ones? I don't see why it would make a difference though. It's the same education, really.

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:27 am

potterpirate04 wrote:Speaking of part time, I'm considering switching to part time after my first year (saves a LOT of money), but I'm not sure if going part time effects employment prospects. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't, but I just wanted to see if other people had heard about this? Do you think prospective employers frown upon part time graduates and try to get full time ones? I don't see why it would make a difference though. It's the same education, really.
I think it depends on what you want to do. Many law firms here in Houston hire out of their interns, so if you are going part-time will you have the access to internships? I don't know. I work full-time so I definitely won't have that access, because I make way more at my full-time job than an internship would ever pay. I don't really see how it is cheaper to go PT, because you basically have to go summer semester as well to finish in a reasonable time-frame. The per/hour costs are pretty much the same, no?

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:05 pm

ryoung81 wrote:
I think it depends on what you want to do. Many law firms here in Houston hire out of their interns, so if you are going part-time will you have the access to internships? I don't know. I work full-time so I definitely won't have that access, because I make way more at my full-time job than an internship would ever pay. I don't really see how it is cheaper to go PT, because you basically have to go summer semester as well to finish in a reasonable time-frame. The per/hour costs are pretty much the same, no?
Ah, I didn't think through the math of it. Yeah you're right in the end it adds up to almost the same tuition. Thanks for that! I think I'll stick to full time haha.

lnh819

Bronze

Post by lnh819 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 am

Anybody know when scholarship offers come out?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:57 am

JS281 wrote:I just talked to an Admissions woman about scholarship stuff and she said that they will be sending out all of the offers in the next couple of weeks. She also said that the scholarships are based on where each person is based on their GPA and LSAT medians.

futHouLawyer

New

Post by futHouLawyer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 am

Congrats to everybody that has been accepted. I was just at the campus and it is a beautiful one to say the least. I was accepted to both UH and STCL and I must say STCL does look better.

Learning9

New

Post by Learning9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one that works a few blocks from the school. :)

futHouLawyer wrote:Congrats to everybody that has been accepted. I was just at the campus and it is a beautiful one to say the least. I was accepted to both UH and STCL and I must say STCL does look better.
Are you leaning towards STCL?

veag09

New

Post by veag09 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 am

STCL campus beautiful? I would have to disagree. The library is nice looking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”