South Texas College of Law Fall 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jeffyl00b

New

Re: South Texas College of Law Fall 2013

Post by jeffyl00b » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 am

veag09 wrote:I If you want to work at an AM100 firm they won't even look at you if you are outside of the top 5% at STCL. It's top 15-20% at U of H. Even if you don't want to go big law, an education from a higher ranked law school will land you more interviews if you fall outside of the top 15-20% range.

The last sentence aside, I've been trying to come up with comparisons for a lot of different schools because a percentage without numbers feels like an unfinished equation to me.

Top 5% at STCL. Are there 402 graduates as per the ABA Employment summary for 2011? Then we have 20 graduates.
Top 20% at UH , " " " 281? Then we have 56 graduates.
Is that a major difference? Or really, a lot of schools outside of Texas seem to have 100 graduates, so that's back down to 20 people. So my main point is, it is percentage, rank, or overall GPA? The larger the class the larger the sample size.

All things being equal, would one want to go to an 'unranked' school in a big city with a large student population, or a small school? Is it easier at a bigger school or at a smaller school?

I ask because, it's been two months and I have had no movement at all on my application! I've already gotten most of my decisions from everywhere else, but would've liked the stay in Texas option.

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 am

jeffyl00b wrote:I ask because, it's been two months and I have had no movement at all on my application! I've already gotten most of my decisions from everywhere else, but would've liked the stay in Texas option.
No visual on the rest of your discussion, but what are your numbers?

veag09

New

Post by veag09 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 am

South Texas and UH have relatively similar class sizes. If you are going to stay in Houston I would say you are looking at the wrong data (and I can hardly understand what you are trying to say/ask). There are only two important comparisons I see between UH and STCL right now: rank and tuition rate. STCL recently became cheaper than UH in terms of tuition but UH still very much outranks STCL.

"Is it easier at a bigger school or at a smaller school?" If you are looking for easy: don't go to law school.

There are a lot of people who have not seen movement on their apps. If you are in a hurry to make decisions because you have to re-locate, etc. then make those decisions. If you can make those decisions as late as July (which is as about as late as they can give you a decision) then sit tight and know you are not suffering alone.

law1992

New

Post by law1992 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:48 am

veag09 wrote:
"Is it easier at a bigger school or at a smaller school?" If you are looking for easy: don't go to law school.

Jesus chill out. He was just asking a question. Just out of curiosity, if you are so interested in UH why are you on this topic?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:50 am

If you want to get a job at a law firm and you are choosing between South Texas and U of H then absolutely go to U of H. There's no question there. Both schools are better than their respective rankings IMO but there is no question that U of H places better and for a lot of people the prices are usually pretty comparable if you get into both.

I applied to both schools last cycle, if you have any questions or whatever I'm HTH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mpalt

New

Post by Mpalt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:50 pm

I got my acceptance letter back on 3/6 but haven't received any scholarship info? My grades and LSAT are above the 75th percentile range and I have already received money from several higher ranked schools. Do y'all think that I wont be getting money from STCL or are they still sending out scholarship offers? Has anyone received scholarship offers this week?

Thanks

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Spoke to admissions, not all scholarships have been awarded. There will be more going out in the next week. Everyone go fly a kite...

lsatepicfail

New

Post by lsatepicfail » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:42 pm

futHouLawyer wrote:Good points... I don't plan on leaving the Houston area or doing big law but you never know what may change later in life. I am 90 percent sure I will go to UH. Right now 70% of tuition and fees are paid for at either school (post 9/11), so I was just trying to see if I could work on getting the other 30%.
You actually get the full tuition at UH, but not at STCL...

Some of the benefits the Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay include:

Your full tuition & fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students. For those attending private or foreign schools tuition & fees are capped at the national maximum rate.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_ ... index.html

This is of course if you are a TX resident.

veag09

New

Post by veag09 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Jesus chill out. He was just asking a question. Just out of curiosity, if you are so interested in UH why are you on this topic?
Is there something wrong with that statement? Don't assume I was being aggressive when I made it. Judging by the plunging new attorney employment rates I felt it was the best fit answer. Please feel free to give him your own.

Further, don't assume I'm interested in UH by the answers I'm giving. I said AM100 will take top 5% at STCL and top 15-20% at UH, STCL has lower tuition than UH, UH way outranks STCL. These are all facts that can be found with a little research. If I said: I think UH is the best choice for everyone or, quite simply, I'm interested in UH... then ask me why I'm on this topic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:40 pm

veag09 wrote:"Is it easier at a bigger school or at a smaller school?" If you are looking for easy: don't go to law school.
Everyone is just trying to put themselves in the best possible position to succeed.

veag09

New

Post by veag09 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Apologies if that sounded harsh, I just think anyone looking for "easy" regarding law school and a subsequent job search should not be applying to law school in 2013. In 2005, maybe.

law1992

New

Post by law1992 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Anyone who wants to go to law school has the right to do so. They are the ones who are investing their time and money.
I just find it interesting that you would consider South Texas when you state that only the top %5 have a real shot at finding a job.
I'm not arguing on whether or not that is true, but you must be pretty sure that you are going to be in that top %5 or else you wouldn't be applying.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

law1992 wrote:I just find it interesting that you would consider South Texas when you state that only the top %5 have a real shot at finding a job.
I'm not arguing on whether or not that is true, but you must be pretty sure that you are going to be in that top %5 or else you wouldn't be applying.
top 5% for Biglaw.

here are the employment stats for STCL:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=southtexas

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

veag09

New

Post by veag09 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Anyone who wants to go to law school has the right to do so. They are the ones who are investing their time and money.
My opinion does not hinder the "right" or rights of anyone. It's just an opinion, please take it for what it is worth. Or don't, as is your right.
I just find it interesting that you would consider South Texas when you state that only the top %5 have a real shot at finding a job.
While I'm flattered you find my considerations interesting I'm baffled as to why you are analyzing them so. And incorrectly to boot. My confidence in my abilities is of no concern.

zachwooldridge

New

Post by zachwooldridge » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:05 am

Accepted today.

TexasTemas12

New

Post by TexasTemas12 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Withdrew today. Had 20k scholarship per year. Will attend UH or SMU for cheaper. Good luck all.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:57 pm

I am still waiting to hear back (since late October). Anyone else in the same boat? Already put down a seat deposit elsewhere but sure would like to hear back from everywhere.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:45 am

mandimeoutof10 wrote:I am still waiting to hear back (since late October). Anyone else in the same boat? Already put down a seat deposit elsewhere but sure would like to hear back from everywhere.
It is pretty late, if the status checker doesn't have an update yet I would call Admissions and ask. As stated they are already having admitted student events.

veag09

New

Post by veag09 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 am

From what I understand all decisions should be made by end of this month. I believe that means waitlist decisions as well, as those will continue through summer as people withdraw/pay deposits/etc. So you should at least see a change in status by end of April. If not, I would definitely call admissions.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:16 pm

I appreciate the advice. I just emailed them to see. You'd think that after having my app for over 5 months they'd be able to tell me something. I expect to receive a little $$ as well. Weird.

ryoung81

New

Post by ryoung81 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:33 pm

mandimeoutof10 wrote:I appreciate the advice. I just emailed them to see. You'd think that after having my app for over 5 months they'd be able to tell me something. I expect to receive a little $$ as well. Weird.
I can't overstate the advice to pick up the phone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 pm

ryoung81 wrote:
mandimeoutof10 wrote:I appreciate the advice. I just emailed them to see. You'd think that after having my app for over 5 months they'd be able to tell me something. I expect to receive a little $$ as well. Weird.
Thanks for the advice. I called today as well as emailed. I am well over their medians so I would be very surprised if I didn't get in and perhaps a small scholarship. I wonder how this late decision will effect my admission/scholarship?

Also, I'll be coming from Dallas. I currently lease a condo in Dallas and would like to find a similar situation with all bills paid close to the school where my girlfriend would have an easy commute to a surrounding public school. Any advice on where we should be looking would be greatly appreciated.

Parsapar

New

Post by Parsapar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 pm

mandimeoutof10 wrote:
ryoung81 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I called today as well as emailed. I am well over their medians so I would be very surprised if I didn't get in and perhaps a small scholarship. I wonder how this late decision will effect my admission/scholarship?

Also, I'll be coming from Dallas. I currently lease a condo in Dallas and would like to find a similar situation with all bills paid close to the school where my girlfriend would have an easy commute to a surrounding public school. Any advice on where we should be looking would be greatly appreciated.
The Medical Center is a straight shot to both downtown and the college. And also allows for a quick way to get to University of Houston and University of Houston Downtown. Also TSU is in the vicinity as well. And by public school I assumed you meant public university, if I assumed incorrectly I apologize.

veag09

New

Post by veag09 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:39 am

The Heights is a good area for young professionals right now. It's in the middle of everything really so close to downtown/Galleria area/etc. I would say figure out where she is going to work first if possible if her commute is a consideration. My teacher friends ended up all over the city/suburbs.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 am

I appreciate the help. I should have clarified; she is an elementary school teacher. I will look at both the above mentioned areas.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”