Oklahoma c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cooldude87

Re: Oklahoma c/o 2016

Postby cooldude87 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:Hey, the OU thread is alive again! I applied, but I don't think I'll go to ASD. Wannabe and PC, have you two narrowed down your choices yet?

Also, I'm not sure University Park is equipped to handle the combined awesomeness of 13 and chem.

No and it stresses me out. Why cant some school just gimme a full ride so I don't have to worry about this anymore.(or enough to where I don't have to break into dat grad plus)

If you want a full ride I'd either retake or if you don't want to do that just wait a year or two. I originally applied last year and got some decent schollys but no full rides. I decided not to go and applied again this year and got two full rides. They weren't to schools I had applied to the year before but there really just as good. Less and less people are applying to law schools and thus the schools are freaking out and giving out more money to attend. Also OU doesn't really give out a whole lot of money.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:See my edit, but I'd be seriously surprised if Ted's is even still in business at that location in 3 years. They're practically next door to each other, and Chuy's has a history of running established TexMex joints out of town.

But that's neither here nor there re OU Law.

Hmm...well what can you tell me about what to expect on admitted students day?

Not sure, never attended one. I'm sure they put on a show, though. Nice facilities, and they usually cater legit food at school functions. Not sure why this would be different.

They probably wouldn't let me near admitted students, anyway. :lol:

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:00 am

cooldude87 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:Hey, the OU thread is alive again! I applied, but I don't think I'll go to ASD. Wannabe and PC, have you two narrowed down your choices yet?

Also, I'm not sure University Park is equipped to handle the combined awesomeness of 13 and chem.

No and it stresses me out. Why cant some school just gimme a full ride so I don't have to worry about this anymore.(or enough to where I don't have to break into dat grad plus)

If you want a full ride I'd either retake or if you don't want to do that just wait a year or two. I originally applied last year and got some decent schollys but no full rides. I decided not to go and applied again this year and got two full rides. They weren't to schools I had applied to the year before but there really just as good. Less and less people are applying to law schools and thus the schools are freaking out and giving out more money to attend. Also OU doesn't really give out a whole lot of money.

This. I'm not sure they give any incoming students a full ride. But I could be entirely wrong, though. They used to love those in-state tuition waivers.

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 am

I personally like Pepe Delgados, but the best is driving to OKC for Abuelos. Sounds like I need to try Chuy's this weekend, though.

Back to your regularly scheduled OU Law programming.

Princess Consuela

Postby Princess Consuela » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 am

LaMuSayonga wrote:I personally like Pepe Delgados, but the best is driving to OKC for Abuelos. Sounds like I need to try Chuy's this weekend, though.

Back to your regularly scheduled OU Law programming.

I LOVE PEPE DELGADOS

okieboy09

Postby okieboy09 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:29 am

Princess Consuela wrote:I figured I'd start this one since I'm admitted and from OK. I can also answer any Norman-related questions.

I got in today via phone call. Starting EAP on May 20th.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:56 am

okieboy09 wrote:
Princess Consuela wrote:I figured I'd start this one since I'm admitted and from OK. I can also answer any Norman-related questions.

I got in today via phone call. Starting EAP on May 20th.

Oh cool! I'm in the EAP program too.

okieboy09

Postby okieboy09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 am

Cool! I'm glad I will know someone. When/how did they notify you?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am

okieboy09 wrote:Cool! I'm glad I will know someone. When/how did they notify you?

Same, via phone call, I applied in Dec. and they accepted me in Jan. Are you from Oklahoma?

okieboy09

Postby okieboy09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
okieboy09 wrote:Cool! I'm glad I will know someone. When/how did they notify you?

Same, via phone call, I applied in Dec. and they accepted me in Jan. Are you from Oklahoma?

Yes sir, I am born and raised here. How long after did they send papers/scholarship info? Also, is there some orientation we have to do before the 20th?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 am

okieboy09 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

Yes sir, I am born and raised here. How long after did they send papers/scholarship info? Also, is there some orientation we have to do before the 20th?

Before the 20th? Ummm I'm not sure...I think maybe the fafsa is what you're thinking about. It took me a couple of days on the papers...and the scholarship came a month later. Given that the deposit is due April 1st id maybe contact them to see if you can get it earlier.

okieboy09

Postby okieboy09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
okieboy09 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

Before the 20th? Ummm I'm not sure...I think maybe the fafsa is what you're thinking about. It took me a couple of days on the papers...and the scholarship came a month later. Given that the deposit is due April 1st id maybe contact them to see if you can get it earlier.

Yeah I probably will have to get on that tomorrow. I haven't even received my admissions paperwork yet as I just got accepted on Thursday. Perhaps I should call Susan Wilson?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:01 am

Yeah either email her or call up the office. Susan's great at getting back with ya. Shes awesome and one of the best ad comm people ive dealt with.

Also let me know what that 20th date is.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:17 am

Oh also they might be on spring break....so they might not even be open tomorrow. So email may be your best bet.

okieboy09

Postby okieboy09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Yeah either email her or call up the office. Susan's great at getting back with ya. Shes awesome and one of the best ad comm people ive dealt with.

I will call or email her in the morning. EAP classes start on the 20th of May. Here is the link for it: http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/admission ... lendar.pdf

I was just wondering if you knew if we had to go through some admitted student orientation by then. Have you found a place to live yet?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:23 am

okieboy09 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Yeah either email her or call up the office. Susan's great at getting back with ya. Shes awesome and one of the best ad comm people ive dealt with.

I will call or email her in the morning. EAP classes start on the 20th of May. Here is the link for it: http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/admission ... lendar.pdf

I was just wondering if you knew if we had to go through some admitted student orientation by then. Have you found a place to live yet?

Oh durrr.....I knew that. I bet there's a small orientation before that but I think we have to go to the big one in the fall too. I don't know where ill be staying over the summer but I know a lot of 1 Ls live in the traditions by the law school. I might stay there in the fall.

okieboy09

Postby okieboy09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:39 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
okieboy09 wrote:

Oh durrr.....I knew that. I bet there's a small orientation before that but I think we have to go to the big one in the fall too. I don't know where ill be staying over the summer but I know a lot of 1 Ls live in the traditions by the law school. I might stay there in the fall.

Oh okay. That makes sense. I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment near campus, but everything I find is so expensive. More expensive now = More debt later. haha. I am sure my letter will come in this week...

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:53 am

Oklahoma has one of the lowest cost of living out of all the law schools. The farther away from campus the get the even cheaper you'll find. Lemme know if you need any specific help on finding something in a certain price range.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:55 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Oklahoma has one of the lowest cost of living out of all the law schools. The farther away from campus the get the even cheaper you'll find. Lemme know if you need any specific help on finding something in a certain price range.

I lived in Traditions for 2 years and it was pretty overpriced for what you can get elsewhere in Norman. Gotta weigh that against being able to walk to class, but it's not like it's a pain in the ass to get to class if you only live a mile or two away and have to drive.

okieboy09

Postby okieboy09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Oklahoma has one of the lowest cost of living out of all the law schools. The farther away from campus the get the even cheaper you'll find. Lemme know if you need any specific help on finding something in a certain price range.

I'm looking for something within reasonable distance to campus, but in the 500-700 price range. Do you know of any place?

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:10 am

The Links and The Greens are pretty nice and not terribly expensive, although they are higher than a lot of places in Norman. I have a roommate in a 2BR/2Bath and it's about $550/month after you figure in utilities, cable, internet, etc. Plus I get free golf, which is cool. It's further away than a lot of the apartment complexes, but it still only takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to my UG classes. The law school parking lot is even closer. It's a little higher than my old place at Post Oak, but I like it a lot more.

Honestly, the commute to campus isn't bad from anywhere in Norman as long as you don't have to drive down Lindsey.

ETA: If you want a one bedroom, I think the cheapest one runs about $700-750 after you include cable, internet, and utilities.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:13 am

okieboy09 wrote:

I'm looking for something within reasonable distance to campus, but in the 500-700 price range. Do you know of any place?

Umm off the top of my head? Post oak I think is very close and has some nice studios (not sure abouts the price to be honest but I know its afforadable).

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 am

Traditions, Post Oak and Avalon Apartments are all insanely close to the law school and used to be heavily populated by law students. Renting a house in Norman with 1 or 2 other law students is another popular route.

If you like golf, the links is legit. I think it's around $650 or so for a 1br. Free golf on the worst golf course in Norman (which is better than no free golf, haha). It's also new--built in the last 2 years or so.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:51 am

Hows my Oklahomies doing?

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Judging from the activity of this thread, I'm guessing OU is going to have an incoming class size of about 12. Sound right?

Also, which school are you leaning towards, PC?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”