Howard University School of Law Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ttly_not_sleeping

Re: Howard University School of Law Class of 2016

Postby Ttly_not_sleeping » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:40 am

Just sent in my deposit yesterday, and I can't wait!

@Naija I know I'm incredibly late but thank you for the info :D I'll definitely be checking out Silver Spring in the next couple of weeks.

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Naija wrote:@Bluuu They haven't reduced your scholarship. The $20,500 that they're offering is a federal unsubsidized loan.

When you go into BisonWeb, go to the Financial Aid tab>>Award>>Award by Aid Year>>Award Overview tab. At the bottom, it shows that it's a loan. You can accept it on bisonweb if you want.

They haven't entered my scholarship into Bisonweb yet either. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I called weeks ago & they told me that this issue would be cleared up that week. I am struggling to put down a seat deposit b/c of the way admin has handled everything thus far.

komebackkid6

Postby komebackkid6 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 am

A poignant quote from my mentor. Just thought I would share.

MANY PLACE FAR TOO MUCH STOCK IN THE US NEWS AND WORLD REPORT RANKINGS. BUT AS I TELL ALL PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS, "WHAT REALLY MATTERS IS THE OPINION OF THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY HIRE PEOPLE!"

Sadieche2464

Postby Sadieche2464 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 pm

Hello... Those that received scholarships, how were you notified? E-mail or snail mail?

yayyay

Postby yayyay » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 pm

So I am def going to Howard, I can't find the Facebook group.
Help? Please
lol

Bluuu

Postby Bluuu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Naija wrote:@Bluuu They haven't reduced your scholarship. The $20,500 that they're offering is a federal unsubsidized loan.

When you go into BisonWeb, go to the Financial Aid tab>>Award>>Award by Aid Year>>Award Overview tab. At the bottom, it shows that it's a loan. You can accept it on bisonweb if you want.

They haven't entered my scholarship into Bisonweb yet either. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I have the convenience of living close to DC, so I visited the school and got everything resolved in person. @Naija thanks for the help, just seeing this now. I hope you got everything resolved on your side.

It's about that time to look up that Howard law 2016 Facebook page. Lol

Bluuu

Postby Bluuu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Sadieche2464 wrote:Hello... Those that received scholarships, how were you notified? E-mail or snail mail?

Snail mail for me

Bluuu

Postby Bluuu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:25 pm

BasedVol wrote:Long time lurker, just got accepted yesterday. Can any DC Natives or DC Experts suggest a neighborhood to live in while at Howard Law? I went to an SEC school, so I can deal with walking a couple of miles.

Oo, oo, I know.

The way it works: Howard law is right off a a very busy city road, Connecticut Ave, which leads a straight shot into downtown DC. With some variation, the more into downtown you get, the higher the rent. I've been looking at places along Connecticut ave AWAY from DC. Sure enough, the further you go, the less expensive. Howard is in a place where you see more more residential areas along Connecticut ave. What you should consider is living in a place along the Red line of DCs subway system (AWAY from downtown) because Howard Law is right off of one of the red line stops (Van Ness/UDC).

But to answer your question, lol, woodley park and Calvert are close, but they're toward downtown, 1 and 2 stops past the red line stop for howard law. Other neighborhoods up the red line are friendship heights, tenleytown, and bethesda

HopesandDreams

Postby HopesandDreams » Sat May 04, 2013 7:14 pm

yayyay wrote:So I am def going to Howard, I can't find the Facebook group.
Help? Please
lol

Any luck with getting added to the Facebook group?! I've been in touch w/ admissions and it's just not happening for me lol. I removed all my privacy setting (yikes) so in order to accept the group invite, etc., but still no luck. Need to be brought up to speed on what's going on/who's looking for roommates, etc.
Last edited by HopesandDreams on Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HopesandDreams

Postby HopesandDreams » Sat May 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Bluuu wrote:
Naija wrote:@Bluuu
It's about that time to look up that Howard law 2016 Facebook page. Lol

Any luck on joining the Facebook page? I've searched and no luck :(

Naija

Postby Naija » Sat May 04, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm seeing that the Howard University School of Law-Class of 2016 group is actually a secret group which is why it can't be found by searching on FB. I actually received an email from the office of admissions telling me that I was invited to the group a little while back. I can't be searched on FB by name so I'm not quite sure how they found me. Maybe all they needed was my email address? Idk. But that's FB for ya.

So I'm guessing that anyone who hasn't received an invitation yet can just email the Office of Admissions telling them to add you. OR if anyone wants to pm me their email address (I won't send you spam. Promise), I can invite you to the group. It will just have to be approved by the admins. On Thursday, Dean McGahee announced that he would be comparing the members of the group with the people who have paid their seat deposits. So everyone in the group will be people who are FOR SURE attending HUSL in the fall. We're all getting to know each other, trying to sort out living arrangements, and sharing general information. It's great!

JonSnow

Postby JonSnow » Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 am

Last edited by JonSnow on Thu May 09, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadieche2464

Postby Sadieche2464 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm

To those that are decided on Howard... Have you started looking for housing? Roommates?

yayyay

Postby yayyay » Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 am

I was gonna start looking after graduation lol. But I decided to go the no roomate route atleast for the first year until I make some connections. But I am really leaning towards Archstone Connecticuit Heights, kind of pricey, but seems worth it (location and amenities wise).

Anyone from the DC area have any suggestions?

Sadieche2464 wrote:To those that are decided on Howard... Have you started looking for housing? Roommates?

Sadieche2464

Postby Sadieche2464 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:07 am

yayyay wrote:I was gonna start looking after graduation lol. But I decided to go the no roomate route atleast for the first year until I make some connections. But I am really leaning towards Archstone Connecticuit Heights, kind of pricey, but seems worth it (location and amenities wise).

Anyone from the DC area have any suggestions?

Sadieche2464 wrote:To those that are decided on Howard... Have you started looking for housing? Roommates?

Initially, I was hoping for a studio/ 1 bedroom but after looking at these dc rental prices I may go the 2 bedroom route

Bay Business

Postby Bay Business » Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Does anyone know when class starts?

HopesandDreams

Postby HopesandDreams » Wed May 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Bay Business wrote:Does anyone know when class starts?

Orientation starts Monday, August 12th (which is also when classes start). So we'll LITERALLY be hitting the ground running!

young_and_ambitious

Postby young_and_ambitious » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:05 pm

What up good people, accepted to Howard w/ 15k scholly but deferring a year to gain experience in a job i was recently promoted to that will help me law school and the real world of D.C. (also to save finances since i have a young child)

So please take good notes for me....

They say scholly is not guaranteed when you defer and will reevaluate for merit with next years class, kinda scary but the fact they accepted my deferral on the assumption im making my resume better must mean something. Im keeping my fingers crossed tho, cuz living expenses close to HU Law is outta control. any thoughts? 153 LSAT, would any of you retake to try to get more scholly money?

rmorris87

Postby rmorris87 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:01 pm

lol @ anyone even considering going to this school.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Rmorris, your comment is not appropriate in this part of the forum ("Class of" threads)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146613

AfroNINJA1226

Postby AfroNINJA1226 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Hey guys...rising 2L at HUSL...you made a good choice...if you need anything give me a holla...
robertegray@hotmail.com

liltay357

Postby liltay357 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Who needs a roommate!!!

:-)

Looking for places, found a good three bedroom close to campus.

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:45 pm

HopesandDreams wrote:
Bay Business wrote:Does anyone know when class starts?

Orientation starts Monday, August 12th (which is also when classes start). So we'll LITERALLY be hitting the ground running!

Officially classes start on August 19th. The classes you will be taking during orientation are just a warm up to get you ready.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”