In at Stanford: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
honeybadger12

Re: In at Stanford: Class of 2016

Postby honeybadger12 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:11 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Alassio wrote:
amonthofsundays wrote:I am all about the "too happy" culture. I just didn't think it was as sincere as people had reported it, but after this weekend I was sold. I will be sending my deposit soon.

Yea, I kept thinking "I WANT TO BE LIKE YOU" especially since my (east coast) undergrad experience was so miserable. It's almost like I've gotten so used to the rat race that I don't know how to function otherwise.

MOTM, or anyone - did you guys find out what the application process was for the joint PhD/MA in Econ? That actualy might be a clincher for me if it's an easy process...

Its not the regular process, and they made it sound a lot easier to get in as a current JD student (but, what else would you expect all these drugged out happy people to say?)

Since the main complaint against SLS is that its students are too happy can I also point out that the girls are too attractive

Alassio

Postby Alassio » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Haha. I actually remember thinking how eerily good looking (and tan) everyone was. We east coasters are so pasty this time of year

The tragedy in Boston has thrown such a wrench in my considerations actually
As a New Yorker now on lock down in terrorized Boston, I might be ready for some secluded paradise

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Just received my FA award, and I'm 99% sure I'll be in Palo Alto this fall.

And FWIW, from living in Utah for the past few years, I'm all about the "overly happy" SLS vibe.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:57 am

Attention all admitted Stanford applicants. This is a message from the waitlist. Please withdraw immediately -- it is unlikely but possible that you will not regret it. I'd say a risk worth taking.

Happiness is not for all of you. Sandals can be ineffective. Weed occasionally causes one too many double doubles. Snow is fun! Missions were effectively former slave ranches. Can't you hear Crimson calling? The list goes on. Bon chance and thank you! That is all.

callmemaybe84

Postby callmemaybe84 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 am

jbagelboy wrote:Attention all admitted Stanford applicants. This is a message from the waitlist. Please withdraw immediately -- it is unlikely but possible that you will not regret it. I'd say a risk worth taking.

Happiness is not for all of you. Sandals can be ineffective. Weed occasionally causes one too many double doubles. Snow is fun! Missions were effectively former slave ranches. Can't you hear Crimson calling? The list goes on. Bon chance and thank you! That is all.

Good luck with that...It's not like there's any outside factors that will make people have a better impression of SLS than HLS this year and push up SLS's yield. I dunno, like, say, one having perfect weather during an ASW, and the other having theirs partially canceled by a federal manhunt?

See y'all in Palo Alto (unrelated to events today).

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:48 am

callmemaybe84 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Attention all admitted Stanford applicants. This is a message from the waitlist. Please withdraw immediately -- it is unlikely but possible that you will not regret it. I'd say a risk worth taking.

Good luck with that...It's not like there's any outside factors that will make people have a better impression of SLS than HLS this year and push up SLS's yield. I dunno, like, say, one having perfect weather during an ASW, and the other having theirs partially canceled by a federal manhunt?

See y'all in Palo Alto (unrelated to events today).

Sigh. I suppose my sarcasm was too layered (more sarcasm). I dont see why many people would go to Harvard over Stanford. Just wishful thinking.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:22 am

SLS Library's twitter feed announced a recent purchase:

Game of thrones. The complete second season [videorecording] / [presented by] HBO Entertainment

Since my parents canceled HBO (ending my ability to use of HBO GO) this is definitely a selling point for me...

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm at the HLS ASW. I love Cambridge and the Harvard campus is amazing, but I'm depositing at Stanford when I get home. So relieved to finally make a decision.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:38 pm

LaMuSayonga wrote:I'm at the HLS ASW. I love Cambridge and the Harvard campus is amazing, but I'm depositing at Stanford when I get home. So relieved to finally make a decision.

PM me! ( me too)

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:55 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:I'm at the HLS ASW. I love Cambridge and the Harvard campus is amazing, but I'm depositing at Stanford when I get home. So relieved to finally make a decision.

PM me! ( me too)

Yesss. Can you guys elaborate?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 am

Saw the facebook status, congrats! (you can pm me too as to why you decided)

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:21 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:

Saw the facebook status, congrats! (you can pm me too as to why you decided)

Thanks! PM'ing now

Alassio

Postby Alassio » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:36 am

Wow unbelievably this is almost my same reaction!
Can you PM me too?

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:43 am

What is it about Harvard's ASW that has made everyone so sure about SLS? I obviously made the same decision but a) I was always leaning Stanford and b) I did Harvard's ASW first so it was a little different for me.

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:39 am

It's a cultural thing for me. After spending some time in Boston, walking around Cambridge, and touring campus, I was actually leaning towards HLS. I preferred Cambridge to Palo Alto and liked the Harvard campus a lot more than Stanford (especially the law buildings). It's impossible not to be impressed by that place.

Then I attended the official ASW events and spoke with a good number of current students. It didn't take long to realize that SLS would be better for me socially and academically. There's a noticeable difference in the way the Stanford students interacted with one another and talked about their school compared to the HLS students. This isn't a knock on HLS students. Most of them were great, but I know that I, personally, would do better around people with the Stanford personality. Also, I never paid much attention to the large class vs. small class argument, but now I know that I need that smaller environment. A ton of people will do just fine and even thrive in a large 1L class, but I'm not one of them.

I can completely understand why someone would choose HLS. I know quite a few people who were leaning towards SLS before the weekend and have now fallen in love with HLS. But for me, I think will perform better in the Stanford Bubble surrounded by the type of people that SLS attracts.

Best of luck to anyone else trying to make the same decision!

kittonmittons

Postby kittonmittons » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:06 am

I was one of the people who had to cancel my Harvard ASW this weekend but was already leaning towards Stanford. Could any of you who are at Harvard PM me some of your thoughts on making the decision? I really wanted to be able to confirm my feeling that Stanford was the right choice, and even second-hand knowledge would be great.

volp

Postby volp » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:51 pm

kittonmittons wrote:I was one of the people who had to cancel my Harvard ASW this weekend but was already leaning towards Stanford. Could any of you who are at Harvard PM me some of your thoughts on making the decision? I really wanted to be able to confirm my feeling that Stanford was the right choice, and even second-hand knowledge would be great.

if it's not a hassle, i wouldn't mind getting the same pm

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

The Harvard ASW is full of people saying, "I wish I hadn't sucked my whole life so I could have gotten into Stanford." Make of that what you will.

volp

Postby volp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:09 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:The Harvard ASW is full of people saying, "I wish I hadn't sucked my whole life so I could have gotten into Stanford." Make of that what you will.

are you serious :lol:

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:16 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:The Harvard ASW is full of people saying, "I wish I hadn't sucked my whole life so I could have gotten into Stanford." Make of that what you will.

That makes me feel slightly better for getting WLed at HLS. Interesting.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:The Harvard ASW is full of people saying, "I wish I hadn't sucked my whole life so I could have gotten into Stanford and put superglue on MOTM's toilet seat.." Make of that what you will.

FTFY

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:03 pm

trojandave wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:The Harvard ASW is full of people saying, "I wish I hadn't sucked my whole life so I could have gotten into Stanford and put superglue on MOTM's toilet seat.." Make of that what you will.

FTFY

Totally what I meant, damn auto-correct!

Wormfather wrote:

So funny, at the SLS weekend there was quite a few of us who said nope nope nope. You people are too happy.

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Deposit sent. Best of luck to all of you still making the decision!

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Just sent off the deposit. See y'all this fall.

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:28 pm

My deposit is in too, see you all soon!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”