In at Stanford: Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
usafgirl

New

Re: In at Stanford: Class of 2016

Post by usafgirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Anyone want to grab dinner before the Nola event? The FB group had a couple takers...

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Arrived at the airport. Picked up my bag standing next to David Spade. Immediately impressed by Palo Alto.

Well played Stanford, well played.

tirakon

New

Post by tirakon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:17 pm

usafgirl wrote:Anyone want to grab dinner before the Nola event? The FB group had a couple takers...
Yes, please. It seems like the consensus on Facebook is 7:30. Someone just needs to pick a restaurant, though.

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:30 am

Gah, everyone is so awesome! Can't wait until tomorrow!

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:40 am

Wormfather wrote:
clouded.memory wrote:Gah, everyone is so awesome! Can't wait until tomorrow!
Yeah, pretty awesome here (except for a few who get testy when you ask tough questions).
I'm curious what you asked them haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:42 am

I'm 100% sold. Sending in my check the second I get my Yale rejection, which hopefully will be any day now.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:53 am

Wormfather wrote:As manoftheminute said to me last night when I said I think want a school where the students are a bit more competitive (as opposed to the focus on cooperation at SLS).

Well if that's the sort of student you're going to be, then we dont want you here (already wearing his SLS jacket :) .

That's the feeling I got as well. :? I'll be withdrawing. Sad though, I really liked the place but I guess its just not a good fit. Off to Harvard where I belong:

:cry:

TrustInMusic

Bronze

Post by TrustInMusic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Wormfather wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Wormfather wrote:As manoftheminute said to me last night when I said I think want a school where the students are a bit more competitive (as opposed to the focus on cooperation at SLS).

Well if that's the sort of student you're going to be, then we dont want you here (already wearing his SLS jacket :) .

That's the feeling I got as well. :? I'll be withdrawing. Sad though, I really liked the place but I guess its just not a good fit. Off to Harvard where I belong:

:cry:
It's all good. You're gonna love it there. SLS was my first choice but it just didn't work out. Too many happy people.
Haha is that actually the reason, or was there something else? Quite interested to hear the considerations behind this year's edition of the HLS vs SLS debate.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:51 am

Wormfather wrote:After spending a couple of days there, I came to the conclusion that those people were genuinely happy. Like cult happy.
pretty sure you're a SLS 2L in disguise lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 am

honeybadger12 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:After spending a couple of days there, I came to the conclusion that those people were genuinely happy. Like cult happy.
pretty sure you're a SLS 2L in disguise lol
No need to hate just because we killed you in the first round...

tirakon

New

Post by tirakon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 am

I will be withdrawing after this weekend, too.

Academically, I think Stanford Law School is pretty close to perfect. The curriculum balances theoretical and practical education better than probably any other law school.

The weather and the campus's beauty are also even more perfect than I imagined. And the people are all impressive, laid back, friendly, passionate, and engaged.

But the dealbreaker for me is the physical size and location of the campus.

The campus is so large that you can't walk really anywhere. As someone who doesn't like biking, and can't afford to bring a car, this is really tough for me. On top of this, the university's expansive spread makes most of the campus feel sparsely populated. I'm a person who thrives on an urban environment. Even if I'm not in a city for law school, I'd at least like to feel like there's some kind of hustle and bustle around the school. And once I get off campus into Palo Alto, there really isn't anything to do. Finally, my SO and family are on the East Coast, and California just feels too far away.

These issues are personal ones, and shouldn't in anyway be perceived as a knock on Stanford Law. I'm sure every one of these "negatives" are viewed as positives to many people. For this East Coaster, though, SLS just isn't the right fit.

Best of luck to the SLS class of 2016! I'm sure you will all have an amazing 3 years here, and go on to do amazing things.

Alassio

New

Post by Alassio » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 am

ahh cult happy...this was my impression also. I wonder if us East Coaster are just blinded by our own misery.
One of my friends who already decided HLS was also specifically put off by the happiness, though she thought it was feigned (I think it's real)

mostly, I was put off by the size, like tirakon. I feel like my life will become a 200 ft bubble, a very happy one, but a small bubble nonetheless. And, no, I don't want to commute from San Francisco.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:55 pm

HankBashir wrote:Just got my financial award letter...my fellowship amount is depressingly low and is making me reconsider.

Folks at the financial aid office are really nice. Turns out, I made a mistake on NeedAccess that basically doubled my family's income for last year. Got the new package today and I will be depositing.

See you guys this fall!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 pm

HankBashir wrote:
HankBashir wrote:Just got my financial award letter...my fellowship amount is depressingly low and is making me reconsider.

Folks at the financial aid office are really nice. Turns out, I made a mistake on NeedAccess that basically doubled my family's income for last year. Got the new package today and I will be depositing.

See you guys this fall!
Did you mind if I ask who you emailed- Faye or the FA Office? Or did you speak to someone in person? As someone who also received a very low fellowship award, this is really nice to hear.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:57 pm

clouded.memory wrote: Did you mind if I ask who you emailed- Faye or the FA Office? Or did you speak to someone in person? As someone who also received a very low fellowship award, this is really nice to hear.
I e-mailed the Financial Aid office. Actually, I just replied directly to the "Your Award Letter" e-mail.

rocktower3

Bronze

Post by rocktower3 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Alassio wrote:ahh cult happy...this was my impression also. I wonder if us East Coaster are just blinded by our own misery.
One of my friends who already decided HLS was also specifically put off by the happiness, though she thought it was feigned (I think it's real)

mostly, I was put off by the size, like tirakon. I feel like my life will become a 200 ft bubble, a very happy one, but a small bubble nonetheless. And, no, I don't want to commute from San Francisco.
I felt somewhat similarly and will be withdrawing also - maybe I'm just an East Coaster at heart. The campus and people seemed fantastic, but I just left with the feeling that it wasn't for me, whereas I LOOOVED HLS's ASW and could really see myself there. Great that many of us are finally finding the right fit!

It was wonderful to meet so many of you last weekend, and best of luck to all of you!

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 pm

rocktower3 wrote:
Alassio wrote:ahh cult happy...this was my impression also. I wonder if us East Coaster are just blinded by our own misery.

I felt somewhat similarly and will be withdrawing also - maybe I'm just an East Coaster at heart. The campus and people seemed fantastic, but I just left with the feeling that it wasn't for me, whereas I LOOOVED HLS's ASW and could really see myself there. Great that many of us are finally finding the right fit!

It was wonderful to meet so many of you last weekend, and best of luck to all of you!
Someone really has to explain this whole "too happy" thing to me - cuz clearly I have missed the negative. Are you guys worried that you wouldn't be that happy, so you wouldn't fit in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rocktower3

Bronze

Post by rocktower3 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:54 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
rocktower3 wrote:

Someone really has to explain this whole "too happy" thing to me - cuz clearly I have missed the negative. Are you guys worried that you wouldn't be that happy, so you wouldn't fit in?
I'm sure I'm not going to do a good job of explaining this, but there was something about the ra-ra super laidback atmosphere that was not a great fit. I'm obviously not AGAINST happiness or anything, but like Alassio mentioned it did seem to ring slightly false for me, personally. I don't think that I can/want to be chill all the time, and even if that's not the reality on the ground, it seems to be something that gets touted as a major characteristic of SLS. Maybe I'm just not as naturally laid back as people that thrive in that type of environment, but I came away with the feeling that it's taboo to admit to being a little stressed, even when you ARE. Any way that I try to verbalize it ends up sounding a little silly, but I just feel that I will fit in better at HLS. Perhaps there is some sort of East Coast/West Coast culture gap that I hadn't expected, or perhaps I prefered HLS because they focus more on things that interest me, but I really had that 'aha' moment there that I didn't at SLS. Not a knock on SLS or the people at all (who were fantastic and very welcoming).

TrustInMusic

Bronze

Post by TrustInMusic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:00 pm

^ There definitely is a West Coast/East Coast persona gap.

Lived 5 minutes from the Pacific all my life, then went to the East for university. People (to me) take life way too seriously at times and walk around campus looking like their pet recently died or something. I'm always smiling and just finding something about life to be happy about. There's an energy out west that is lacking out in the old east.

Which means people are going to think I'm "too happy".

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:02 pm

TrustInMusic wrote:^ There definitely is a West Coast/East Coast persona gap.

Lived 5 minutes from the Pacific all my life, then went to the East for university. People (to me) take life way too seriously at times and walk around campus looking like their pet recently died or something. I'm always smiling and just finding something about life to be happy about. There's an energy out west that is lacking out in the old east.

Shit, its a good thing we got WLed at Yale then

TrustInMusic

Bronze

Post by TrustInMusic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
TrustInMusic wrote:^ There definitely is a West Coast/East Coast persona gap.

Shit, its a good thing we got WLed at Yale then
Can you call Faye to accept me pweaze?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amonthofsundays

Bronze

Post by amonthofsundays » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:37 pm

I am all about the "too happy" culture. I just didn't think it was as sincere as people had reported it, but after this weekend I was sold. I will be sending my deposit soon.

Alassio

New

Post by Alassio » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 pm

amonthofsundays wrote:I am all about the "too happy" culture. I just didn't think it was as sincere as people had reported it, but after this weekend I was sold. I will be sending my deposit soon.
Yea, I kept thinking "I WANT TO BE LIKE YOU" especially since my (east coast) undergrad experience was so miserable. It's almost like I've gotten so used to the rat race that I don't know how to function otherwise.

MOTM, or anyone - did you guys find out what the application process was for the joint PhD/MA in Econ? That actualy might be a clincher for me if it's an easy process...

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Alassio wrote:
amonthofsundays wrote:I am all about the "too happy" culture. I just didn't think it was as sincere as people had reported it, but after this weekend I was sold. I will be sending my deposit soon.
Yea, I kept thinking "I WANT TO BE LIKE YOU" especially since my (east coast) undergrad experience was so miserable. It's almost like I've gotten so used to the rat race that I don't know how to function otherwise.

MOTM, or anyone - did you guys find out what the application process was for the joint PhD/MA in Econ? That actualy might be a clincher for me if it's an easy process...
Its not the regular process, and they made it sound a lot easier to get in as a current JD student (but, what else would you expect all these drugged out happy people to say?)

amonthofsundays

Bronze

Post by amonthofsundays » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Alassio wrote:

I remember someone in one of the panels saying that you would probably need a GRE score if you don't already have one. You can get out of it with many of the masters joint degrees though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”