In at Stanford: Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: In at Stanford: Class of 2016

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 am

bertrussell wrote:Any insight into the deferral request process? I've already seen SLS's brief online deferral statement; but any word on how open SLS is to granting two-year deferrals for non-TFA/Peace Corp programs (i.e. corporate rotational programs)?

Thanks,
Bert Russell
Hey Bert, I would call Faye and see what she can do. But, to be honest, a corporate rotational program kinda just makes me want to ask, are you sure you want to go to law school?

bertrussell

New

Post by bertrussell » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:29 am

ManoftheMinute: While I appreciate your concern, I asked a specific question about deferrals, not for career advice from someone with no knowledge of my circumstances/goals.

My original question about the deferral process stands.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 am

bertrussell wrote:ManoftheMinute: While I appreciate your concern, I asked a specific question about deferrals, not for career advice from someone with no knowledge of my circumstances/goals.

My original question about the deferral process stands.
I meant that as something that Faye would be wondering, whereas TFA would bring up that question less, but yeah sorry, I have nothing valuable about the deferral process to share :cry:

nioxrandom

New

Post by nioxrandom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 pm

In as well! Got the call on 2/4. (redchobani on LSN).

Waiting on a few places / interested in how $$ shakes out, but I'm leaning SLS in a big way.

Congrats to everyone else! Who's going to ASW in April? I am.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

For people going to the ASW, do you think it's worth staying for the classes? I figure classes are pretty much the same anywhere, and the biggest difference will be prof-to-prof, not school-to-school, but I'm interested in what you guys think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Yukos wrote:For people going to the ASW, do you think it's worth staying for the classes? I figure classes are pretty much the same anywhere, and the biggest difference will be prof-to-prof, not school-to-school, but I'm interested in what you guys think.
If Professor Schacter is teaching Fourteenth Amendment that morning, I'd suggest staying for it. It's a crowd-pleaser, is fairly easy to follow for not-yet law students, and she's just delightful.

I know there are a lot of other great classes (Karlan's Elections/Political Representation Class being one of them), but this is one I've found 0Ls can really enjoy while also getting a feel for a law school class at SLS.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Question: Do you guys think its crazy to take Stanford over Harvard if the goal is biglaw in Boston?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:43 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Question: Do you guys think its crazy to take Stanford over Harvard if the goal is biglaw in Boston?
To be frank: kind of, yes.

BUT, as a caveat, I have friends at SLS who are going back to Boston and who had absolutely no trouble at OCI because there were maybe 2-5 people interviewing for Boston in total. [This logic also holds for Atlanta and Houston and Philadelphia and Seattle and loads of other cities; the class is just so small and well over 2/3 of folks want D.C., LA or SF].

If you have Boston ties (Harvard/BC/BU/Tufts etc. UG; grew up there), I don't think you'd have any trouble getting back. Sometimes it's nice to get away and think hard about whether or not you want to wind up there (true story: I was near-100% sure I'd head back to my home market post-SLS, and even spent 1L summer there. Things change.)

But there's also something to be said for having the extra three years to start developing your career and connections in the city where you want to practice. I know I've really appreciated that about being right next to San Francisco (and now living here as a 3L and commuting to SLS).

I guess I would say it should be a factor that weighs a little in favor of HLS, but it's dispositive. And I bet you could ask Dean Deal to get you in contact with someone heading back to Boston post-SLS to ask their advice.

[Sorry for chiming in so often. My externship supervisor is out today and I'm quite bored.]

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Kretzy wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Question: Do you guys think its crazy to take Stanford over Harvard if the goal is biglaw in Boston?
To be frank: kind of, yes.

BUT, as a caveat, I have friends at SLS who are going back to Boston and who had absolutely no trouble at OCI because there were maybe 2-5 people interviewing for Boston in total. [This logic also holds for Atlanta and Houston and Philadelphia and Seattle and loads of other cities; the class is just so small and well over 2/3 of folks want D.C., LA or SF].

If you have Boston ties (Harvard/BC/BU/Tufts etc. UG; grew up there), I don't think you'd have any trouble getting back. Sometimes it's nice to get away and think hard about whether or not you want to wind up there (true story: I was near-100% sure I'd head back to my home market post-SLS, and even spent 1L summer there. Things change.)

But there's also something to be said for having the extra three years to start developing your career and connections in the city where you want to practice. I know I've really appreciated that about being right next to San Francisco (and now living here as a 3L and commuting to SLS).

I guess I would say it should be a factor that weighs a little in favor of HLS, but it's dispositive. And I bet you could ask Dean Deal to get you in contact with someone heading back to Boston post-SLS to ask their advice.

[Sorry for chiming in so often. My externship supervisor is out today and I'm quite bored.]
Ha, no! Thanks that was super helpful. I have significant ties, so I guess that bodes well? But I guess on the other side you could say that Boston ties + HLS would make biglaw even more of a sure thing? I just like Stanford so much more than Harvard, gahhh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Hey Kretzy - what's the take on the new Dean? Being received well both on-campus and from employers? Any significant changes rumored to be on the way?

tekumamba

New

Post by tekumamba » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:59 pm

nioxrandom wrote:In as well! Got the call on 2/4. (redchobani on LSN).

Waiting on a few places / interested in how $$ shakes out, but I'm leaning SLS in a big way.

Congrats to everyone else! Who's going to ASW in April? I am.

hey chobani! glad to see that you got it too. asw will be pretty cool im excited

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm

bernaldiaz wrote: Ha, no! Thanks that was super helpful. I have significant ties, so I guess that bodes well? But I guess on the other side you could say that Boston ties + HLS would make biglaw even more of a sure thing? I just like Stanford so much more than Harvard, gahhh.
If you wind up liking SLS more than HLS, I don't think a desire to be in Boston should mean you should auto-take HLS, considering your ties. All the big Boston firms will be at OCI, and they'd be stoked to add some school diversity to their summer classes (they really do care about this...it doesn't make a lot of sense to me).
spicyyoda17 wrote:Hey Kretzy - what's the take on the new Dean? Being received well both on-campus and from employers? Any significant changes rumored to be on the way?
I loved Larry Kramer. He was such a over-the-top presence (and had good taste in scotch). I miss seeing him on campus all the time.

But I've gotten to meet Dean Magill a few times, and she's come across as incredibly kind, really hard-working, and interested in listening to people to find out what needs/doesn't need to change. She's reinforced clinics and hasn't really cut any programs. I'd like to see her increase funding for student research (there's some now, but we could use more), for secondary journals, and for student affinity groups, but those are all selfish wants for programs I cared about while here. From everything I hear and have seen, she's doing a great job.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Kretzy wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:[This logic also holds for Atlanta and Houston and Philadelphia and Seattle and loads of other cities; the class is just so small and well over 2/3 of folks want D.C., LA or SF].
The three markets I want... I am not a special snowflake :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm

wait dc, la and sf are all more common for sls grads than nyc?

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 pm

This should help clarify where SLS grads go after graduation.

Top 3 — U.S. "States" where SLS Class of 2011 grads are employed, according to ABA
1.) California = 40%
2.) New York = 16%
3.) DC = 15%

Class of 2010
1.) California = 40%
2.) DC = 16%
3.) NY = 15%

---

Top 3 Regions of Employment, according to recent NALP statistics:
1.) Pacific (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA) = 45%
2.) South Atlantic (DC, DE, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV) = 19%
3.) Mid-Atlantic (NJ, NY, PA) = 16%

---

Also, for the Class of 2009, more students moved to the LA area than to the NY area, according to SLS. The reverse is true for the Classes of 2010 and 2011. For all three years, a plurality of students stay in the SF area.
http://www.law.stanford.edu/careers/pro ... -by-region

Ezooo0

New

Post by Ezooo0 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 pm

I feel like a lot of us in this thread are weighing SLS vs. HLS. I haven't heard from HLS yet but I have a feeling that's how it may shake out for my cycle. For me it's the CA quality of life and I think better balanced culture of SLS, versus that I think HLS would be slightly better for the specific type of law I want to do (financial regulation).

What is everyone else weighing between the two?

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:57 pm

isn tthat counting your eggs before they hatch a little bit

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:03 pm

az21833 wrote:isn tthat counting your eggs before they hatch a little bit
Maybe he wants scrambled eggs and not chickens.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey, 2/3rds of people who get into stanford get into Harvard, according to recent LSN data, so the odds are in his favor

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 pm

az21833 wrote:isn tthat counting your eggs before they hatch a little bit
I guess, but this seems like the place for this kind of discussion. Plus he might not get into HLS until April, and if that happens having already thought this decision through will be to his benefit.

For me, the SLS/HLS debate really comes down to whether I'd rather have the intimacy/security of SLS's class size or the vast resources of HLS. When I first started applying to law schools I was dead-set on going to a small school (I went to a pretty big public UG and I wanted a different experience) but I have to say a lot of times I'll be looking around at HLS's website and just be amazed because they have some specific program that fits perfectly with what I want to do.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Hey guys, this may not even be the best place to post this, but I had a question that I thought might tick people off in other threads. Do you guys think there is any utility in applying for the Levy (I was invited to apply last week) for negotiations with HYS? I know HYS claim not to negotiate, but others have said that named scholarships may help loosen up the purse strings. I did not get a Hamilton and have not heard about the Ruby yet either, so this would be the best scholarship I would have. I would feel a little bad about applying because I'd have little intention of accepting the award, and I know there are tons of people who would kill for it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ezooo0

New

Post by Ezooo0 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:55 pm

She, for the record.

I'm just trying to figure out what my plan is, for whatever happens. When I've told friends and family I got into SLS they say "So is that your first choice?"... and then I start rambling about how actually I don't know where I really want to go.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:58 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Hey guys, this may not even be the best place to post this, but I had a question that I thought might tick people off in other threads. Do you guys think there is any utility in applying for the Levy (I was invited to apply last week) for negotiations with HYS? I know HYS claim not to negotiate, but others have said that named scholarships may help loosen up the purse strings. I did not get a Hamilton and have not heard about the Ruby yet either, so this would be the best scholarship I would have. I would feel a little bad about applying because I'd have little intention of accepting the award, and I know there are tons of people who would kill for it.
i was under the impression HYS literally offered 0 merit aid? otherwise, wouldnt those with Hamiltons be able to get more money from them - ive never heard of them being able to personally

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:00 pm

az21833 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:Hey guys, this may not even be the best place to post this, but I had a question that I thought might tick people off in other threads. Do you guys think there is any utility in applying for the Levy (I was invited to apply last week) for negotiations with HYS? I know HYS claim not to negotiate, but others have said that named scholarships may help loosen up the purse strings. I did not get a Hamilton and have not heard about the Ruby yet either, so this would be the best scholarship I would have. I would feel a little bad about applying because I'd have little intention of accepting the award, and I know there are tons of people who would kill for it.
i was under the impression HYS literally offered 0 merit aid? otherwise, wouldnt those with Hamiltons be able to get more money from them - ive never heard of them being able to personally
Right but some people think that the line blurs between merit and need based aid

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Your supposed to send competing scholly offers to hys?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”