Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
helix23 wrote:Gonna totally swipe the good feels and speculate that this somehow means a huge wave of post-hold JS1s are coming. yee.


I agree. Considering they are likely caught up on all of the previously untouched apps, I would imagine they will revisit holds this week and issue a small batch of JS1s soon.


yayyy.

switchis32
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby switchis32 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:
helix23 wrote:Gonna totally swipe the good feels and speculate that this somehow means a huge wave of post-hold JS1s are coming. yee.


I agree. Considering they are likely caught up on all of the previously untouched apps, I would imagine they will revisit holds this week and issue a small batch of JS1s soon.


yayyy.


Any guesses as to if they will come this week, if at all?

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby az21833 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 pm

never seen the held thread so optimistic, LOVE IT. lets goooooo

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby TripTrip » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Hey, did anyone submit an additional LOR when they were put on hold?

I'm up to my eyeballs in extra LORs over here.

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby amsong » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 pm

TripTrip wrote:Hey, did anyone submit an additional LOR when they were put on hold?

I'm up to my eyeballs in extra LORs over here.


I did not. Extensive reading of blogs, past posts and a call to the admissions office told me I shouldn't. But then again, I don't have a JS1. But all explicit and implicit communication from Harvard says no to additional LOR.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby TripTrip » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

amsong wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Hey, did anyone submit an additional LOR when they were put on hold?

I'm up to my eyeballs in extra LORs over here.


I did not. Extensive reading of blogs, past posts and a call to the admissions office told me I shouldn't. But then again, I don't have a JS1. But all explicit and implicit communication from Harvard says no to additional LOR.

Fair enough. Not even after WL?

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby amsong » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 pm

TripTrip wrote:
amsong wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Hey, did anyone submit an additional LOR when they were put on hold?

I'm up to my eyeballs in extra LORs over here.


I did not. Extensive reading of blogs, past posts and a call to the admissions office told me I shouldn't. But then again, I don't have a JS1. But all explicit and implicit communication from Harvard says no to additional LOR.

Fair enough. Not even after WL?


Hm. I couldn't answer that one. I don't remember coming across anything either for or against LOR for WL candidates.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby jym_dawg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:48 am

TripTrip wrote:Hey, did anyone submit an additional LOR when they were put on hold?

I'm up to my eyeballs in extra LORs over here.


I too got the vibe that H had all the materials they needed to make a decision and that sending an additional LOR would be unwise. I think the same thing would apply to WL but might reevaluate when I have to cross that bridge.

eyfl
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby eyfl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:00 am

I wonder when I should start hoping for a post-hold JS1, considering my hold was on Friday, heh

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby az21833 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 am

I sent extra lor In. They confirmed that they added it to my file. Doubt it will help doubt it will hurt

User avatar
cws277
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby cws277 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:57 am

Just checking in here - joined TLS after lurking for a while, was held late last week. Sent in a minor update along the lines of awards/honors.

User avatar
broadstreet11
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby broadstreet11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:16 am

eyfl wrote:I wonder when I should start hoping for a post-hold JS1, considering my hold was on Friday, heh


Well we've been here two months sooooooooooooo....

vzapana
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby vzapana » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 pm

eyfl wrote:I wonder when I should start hoping for a post-hold JS1, considering my hold was on Friday, heh


It took 4 weeks for my post-hold js1. Don't expect news really quickly; wait till next month.

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby MacB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:29 pm

vzapana wrote:
eyfl wrote:I wonder when I should start hoping for a post-hold JS1, considering my hold was on Friday, heh


It took 4 weeks for my post-hold js1. Don't expect news really quickly; wait till next month.


I think my post-hold JS1 invite took right around five weeks, if memory serves. So yeah, settle in for the long haul.

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby RSterling » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:46 pm

My hold was back in January. My advice is not to expect anything. Your JS1 may come next week, in June, or never at all. You're best trying to move forward assuming you're not getting in HLS, and you can be pleasantly surprised if that changes.

one_by_one
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby one_by_one » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:47 pm

.
Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby digifly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

one_by_one wrote:
RSterling wrote:My hold was back in January. My advice is not to expect anything. Your JS1 may come next week, in June, or never at all. You're best trying to move forward assuming you're not getting in HLS, and you can be pleasantly surprised if that changes.


+1 This is sound advice


This is what I'm doing, and it's great advice. I'm content with where I'm going now, but if HLS calls it'll be kind of like hitting a half-court buzzer-beater in a game I was already winning.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby 04102014 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:21 pm

RSterling wrote:My hold was back in January. My advice is not to expect anything. Your JS1 may come next week, in June, or never at all. You're best trying to move forward assuming you're not getting in HLS, and you can be pleasantly surprised if that changes.


This doesn't work for me because I'll be a summer starter at Michigan. If they planned on eventually pulling me off of the waitlist in June, it would be too late. :cry:

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby amsong » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
RSterling wrote:My hold was back in January. My advice is not to expect anything. Your JS1 may come next week, in June, or never at all. You're best trying to move forward assuming you're not getting in HLS, and you can be pleasantly surprised if that changes.


This doesn't work for me because I'll be a summer starter at Michigan. If they planned on eventually pulling me off of the waitlist in June, it would be too late. :cry:


You could still attend, no? It would just come at a high/inconvenient cost.

MacB
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby MacB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 pm

amsong wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:
RSterling wrote:My hold was back in January. My advice is not to expect anything. Your JS1 may come next week, in June, or never at all. You're best trying to move forward assuming you're not getting in HLS, and you can be pleasantly surprised if that changes.


This doesn't work for me because I'll be a summer starter at Michigan. If they planned on eventually pulling me off of the waitlist in June, it would be too late. :cry:


You could still attend, no? It would just come at a high/inconvenient cost.


Don't you eventually have to sign some sort of "forsaking all others, till death do us part" sort of agreement in order to enroll? I'm actually in the same boat w/ UofM.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby 04102014 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 pm

amsong wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:
RSterling wrote:My hold was back in January. My advice is not to expect anything. Your JS1 may come next week, in June, or never at all. You're best trying to move forward assuming you're not getting in HLS, and you can be pleasantly surprised if that changes.


This doesn't work for me because I'll be a summer starter at Michigan. If they planned on eventually pulling me off of the waitlist in June, it would be too late. :cry:


You could still attend, no? It would just come at a high/inconvenient cost.


I've actually wondered how that would work. Could you withdraw from a school at which you've already started and then go somewhere else if they accept you? Seems fishy.

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby amsong » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:32 pm

I am not sure about Duke, but the tuition deposit forms I've read for other places only say that you have to withdraw from schools that have admitted you. I'm not sure if there's a separate enrollment agreement, though, once you're actually paying tuition? But also, doesn't ABA forbid schools from requiring a withdrawal from schools with no decision? Waitlist is not really a decision.

one_by_one
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby one_by_one » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:17 pm

.
Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
d330
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby d330 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:18 pm

I don't think I officially belong here - but since its been over 70 days since my JS1 can I hang out in the held camp? It's much better than the forgotten thread.

switchis32
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 am

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby switchis32 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm

any thoughts on whether any post hold js1's will come this week?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”