Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eyfl

Re: Held @ Harvard 2013 style

Postby eyfl » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:25 am

helix23 wrote:I don't know the answer to either of these. I've actually thought about the latter a few times. I still don't think I've come up with a good rationale for holding people (as opposed to waitlisting them). Maybe they think applicants find getting waitlisted more disheartening than getting held, so less people withdraw?

The way I see it (and this is entirely my speculation / fantasy), there are 2 groups of applicants that get into the "Held" pile:
1. those with very good numbers; they'd like to admit them but there's something fishy, which prevents JS1/JS2 (could be bad LoRs, PS, bad interview skills or whatever). In the end they're waiting to determine if there's need in these numbers to look past that fishy part of the app
2. those with numbers on the soft side; there's something in these apps that makes applicants unique/interesting and admission folks would like to have them in the class, yet the numbers cause concern so admission folks prefer to wait and see how the medians turn out (like what happens with URM, if I recall correctly the majority get decisions very late in the game no matter the complete date)

Oh, and I'm extremely interested to see TripTrip's app - guy's cycle seems ridiculous

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:19 am

eyfl wrote:The way I see it (and this is entirely my speculation / fantasy), there are 2 groups of applicants that get into the "Held" pile:
1. those with very good numbers; they'd like to admit them but there's something fishy, which prevents JS1/JS2 (could be bad LoRs, PS, bad interview skills or whatever). In the end they're waiting to determine if there's need in these numbers to look past that fishy part of the app
2. those with numbers on the soft side; there's something in these apps that makes applicants unique/interesting and admission folks would like to have them in the class, yet the numbers cause concern so admission folks prefer to wait and see how the medians turn out (like what happens with URM, if I recall correctly the majority get decisions very late in the game no matter the complete date)

That's the most sensible explanation I've seen of holds.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:45 pm

eyfl wrote:
helix23 wrote:I don't know the answer to either of these. I've actually thought about the latter a few times. I still don't think I've come up with a good rationale for holding people (as opposed to waitlisting them). Maybe they think applicants find getting waitlisted more disheartening than getting held, so less people withdraw?

The way I see it (and this is entirely my speculation / fantasy), there are 2 groups of applicants that get into the "Held" pile:

Oh, and I'm extremely interested to see TripTrip's app - guy's cycle seems ridiculous

This is a fine explanation of who they hold, but doesn't speak to why there is a hold category to begin with. They could just as easily waitlist the above two groups and most likely will end up doing so. Why the "hold" in the meantime when for all intensive purposes a hold and a waitlist are the same thing? That's really what I was getting at.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:41 pm

helix23 wrote:
eyfl wrote:

This is a fine explanation of who they hold, but doesn't speak to why there is a hold category to begin with. They could just as easily waitlist the above two groups and most likely will end up doing so. Why the "hold" in the meantime when for all intensive purposes a hold and a waitlist are the same thing? That's really what I was getting at.

The blog post js wrote earlier this year pretty much explains this. Hold really means they made no decision about you. It's just to tell you they know you're alive. It's not in itself a decision; it's just an indication that they need more time to debate your app.

Honestly I prefer this to silence until April-- which seems to be happening to some stanford applicants

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:17 pm

eyfl wrote:

Having seen 70% (maybe?) of his app I still don't have a good explanation. One of his recommenders likes to hear himself talk but it's still a fine letter and shouldn't hurt him in the least. There is no way his resume could be considered below average. It just can't. And you shouldn't need to be much above average with those numbers.

I think the reason for the hold category is fairly straightforward. They are not going to waitlist as many people as they hold. They want to see the whole applicant pool before they waitlist. Keep in mind this isn't Duke (where they have to pull a fair amount from their waitlist) or UVA (where they use their waitlist for YP). That leaves two choices. Do what they are doing, or do what Stanford is doing. Now maybe you think Stanford's way is the way to go, but if you have visited that thread lately you know people are throughly frustrated with having not heard anything since before Thanksgiving.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:32 pm

statistically, they waitlist the VAST majority of students that they hold. the credited explanation would make a lot more sense if they accepted or rejected more kids straight from hold

switchis32

Postby switchis32 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:20 pm

So, judging by how the penn asw went, there are more people got held than we think...

kuddlykoala

Postby kuddlykoala » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:32 pm

why? what happened at penn asw?

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Just got held yesterday and joining the club late. Lowish GPA, submitted January.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:46 pm

switchis32 wrote:So, judging by how the penn asw went, there are more people got held than we think...

C'mon. You can't just make a statement like this and walk away.

switchis32

Postby switchis32 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:56 pm

wert3813 wrote:
switchis32 wrote:So, judging by how the penn asw went, there are more people got held than we think...

C'mon. You can't just make a statement like this and walk away.

I was there (just left actually) and I met like 8 people that were held. And like another 4 people got held in yesterday's thread

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Wonder what percentAge of held students at hls are headed to YS vs ccn vs mvpb

Sounds like a lot of cls NYU and penn?

switchis32

Postby switchis32 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:07 pm

az21833 wrote:Wonder what percentAge of held students at hls are headed to YS vs ccn vs mvpb

I'm not sure. But of the people I talked to that were held, all of them were considering ccn and/or p or b

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:10 pm

az21833 wrote:Wonder what percentAge of held students at hls are headed to YS vs ccn vs mvpb

At least one person is headed to Cornell.

Postby 04102014 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Fwiw, I was at michigan's asw and nobody really mentioned Harvard. It seemed like a lot of people were choosing between Michigan and Northwestern, which surprised me.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm heading to UVA, and there are other holds there doing the same.

edit: typo
Last edited by digifly on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:41 pm

digifly wrote:I'm heading to UVA, and there other holds there doing the same.

+1

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Are you guys going to stay on hls WL after depositing at cls uva penn etc

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Yes.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 pm

az21833 wrote:Are you guys going to stay on hls WL after depositing at cls uva penn etc

I was going to until I saw this pathetic performance against Arizona. Now I'm withdrawing and I encourage all of you guys to do the same.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:16 pm

There's no reason not to. If a miracle happens in mid-July, I doubt I would want to entirely change my plans since I'll have a new apartment, etc. by then, but it's a great bargaining chip for more $$ at wherever I end up.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:19 pm

ph5354a wrote:There's no reason not to. If a miracle happens in mid-July, I doubt I would want to entirely change my plans since I'll have a new apartment, etc. by then, but it's a great bargaining chip for more $$ at wherever I end up.

Interesting approach ph

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 pm

az21833 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:There's no reason not to. If a miracle happens in mid-July, I doubt I would want to entirely change my plans since I'll have a new apartment, etc. by then, but it's a great bargaining chip for more $$ at wherever I end up.

Interesting approach ph

Hey, if I'm gonna forgo H to rot in manhattan for three years, I would expect to see some cash.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:34 pm

ph5354a wrote:
az21833 wrote:

Interesting approach ph

Hey, if I'm gonna forgo H to rot in manhattan for three years, I would expect to see some cash.

I can't stand NYC, but it's the best option thus far (unless Chicago happens b/c I'd have $0 CoL). I'm positioning myself for maximum flexibility. The thought of living in NYC for 3 years really grosses me out. I spent a summer there and the streets literally smell like crap. Please, HLS, save me!
Last edited by txdude45 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Might as well call this the cls 2016 thread

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”