Acceptances Slower than normal?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alwayssunnyinfl

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 am

teachmehowtoraji wrote:
uconjak wrote:Thanks for all the comments. My idea is that the T-5 will most likely be at where they want to be, maybe down in class size. After all the market is saturated with lawyers. I got some fast acceptances from several of my "safe" schools mostly from T-20+. According to law school matcher. Reach schools, columbia, stanford, chicago. Target are basically the bottom half of the T14. I would like a t14 school. With my numbers (close) 168/3.9 i believe i have a better chance this year than i would have two years ago.
According to LASC web site it loks like the total numbers are down 20-25%. Last year they were down also, with several schools lowering their class size or lowering their numbers slightly. this puts the schools into a real pickle.

I think many schools are either
1. Taking applicants that are in their historical norms more quickly
2. Taking are looking at the softs more closely, esp. On those apps that are close to the norms 3. apps who are splittrs that they can average in to maintain their numbers.
4. Considering, lowering total class size.
5. Increase money and give it out more quickly to students to ge them commited quicker!

I believe that most schools will do a combination of all these strategies

Long and short of it i think those of us who meet or above the medians on either gpa or lsat have a better shot at those "reach" schools and a very good shot at the target schools and will get some pretty good money on top of it.

Grammar holocaust.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I read that and thought "Holy crap, I need coffee."

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 am

Sometimes I go into a 0L thread and am pleasantly surprised. You're all growing up so fast.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 am

teachmehowtoraji wrote:
uconjak wrote:Thanks for all the comments. My idea is that the T-5 will most likely be at where they want to be, maybe down in class size. After all the market is saturated with lawyers. I got some fast acceptances from several of my "safe" schools mostly from T-20+. According to law school matcher. Reach schools, columbia, stanford, chicago. Target are basically the bottom half of the T14. I would like a t14 school. With my numbers (close) 168/3.9 i believe i have a better chance this year than i would have two years ago.
According to LASC web site it loks like the total numbers are down 20-25%. Last year they were down also, with several schools lowering their class size or lowering their numbers slightly. this puts the schools into a real pickle.

2. Taking are looking at the softs more closely, esp. On those apps that are close to the norms 3. apps who are splittrs that they can average in to maintain their numbers.
5. Increase money and give it out more quickly to students to ge them commited quicker!

Long and short of it i think those of us who meet or above the medians on either gpa or lsat have a better shot at those "reach" schools and a very good shot at the target schools and will get some pretty good money on top of it.

Grammar holocaust.

:lol:

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 am

teachmehowtoraji wrote:

Grammar holocaust.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:Some people have danced around this point, but because I'm bored and on the toilet, I'll elaborate. As a result of the dramatic decrease in applicants some schools are/will be facing some serious issues. I imagine the t-14s will continue with business as usual with the next 15-20 schools meeting their medians, albeit by more judicious (<--law word LOL) means. Schools ranked 30th to South Harmon Institute of Technology are potentially in a whole heap of trouble, the farther down the list you go, the more troublesome it becomes. Remember now that the LSAT is graded on a curve, this means that there will still be a similar number of 165s+. However, the more average scores, such as 158-165 (side note: I think of none of you as average, I'm sure you're all very special) are now substantially less abundant. As a result, your "run of the mill regional school" such as U Cincinnati or U Houston, now finds itself competing against schools like UNC and W&M. Well 9 times out of 10, a law school like W&M can make a more appealing offer (both financially and academically) than Houston. As you could imagine, schools even farther down the totem pole are in even more trouble.

So what does this mean for you!?
Well, if you got a 170+ I don't really give a damn about you, you'll figure it out and make lots of pesos.
However, the rest of us (I'll refer to us as the proletariat because Obama is President and class warfare is totally fetch right now) are finally in a position of power! For the last decade law schools have attempted to charge 100k+ for a product that retails closer to 60k. Now it's time for them to fork over that 40k, or risk another dramatic drop off in applications.

So yes, applications are moving slower if you're anywhere near the medians. If you walked through the school cafeteria and the first thing on your plate was broccoli you'd wait until the end of the line to see if you could get anything better, even if it mean't that some of the broccoli would get cold. However, it is my guess that when it's all said and done, most of these schools will eat more broccoli than they are used to, release some BS statement about "looking past the numbers and forming a different kind of law class" and at the end of the day we'll all be sexy lawyers who drink whiskey from tumblers at 11 in the morning

BeeTeeDubs, please don't respond with some stupid comment about my grammar or punctuation, because YOLO.

Nice analogy :D

ndel21

Postby ndel21 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:05 pm

Suralin wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:Some people have danced around this point, but because I'm bored and on the toilet, I'll elaborate. As a result of the dramatic decrease in applicants some schools are/will be facing some serious issues. I imagine the t-14s will continue with business as usual with the next 15-20 schools meeting their medians, albeit by more judicious (<--law word LOL) means. Schools ranked 30th to South Harmon Institute of Technology are potentially in a whole heap of trouble, the farther down the list you go, the more troublesome it becomes. Remember now that the LSAT is graded on a curve, this means that there will still be a similar number of 165s+. However, the more average scores, such as 158-165 (side note: I think of none of you as average, I'm sure you're all very special) are now substantially less abundant. As a result, your "run of the mill regional school" such as U Cincinnati or U Houston, now finds itself competing against schools like UNC and W&M. Well 9 times out of 10, a law school like W&M can make a more appealing offer (both financially and academically) than Houston. As you could imagine, schools even farther down the totem pole are in even more trouble.

Well, if you got a 170+ I don't really give a damn about you, you'll figure it out and make lots of pesos.
However, the rest of us (I'll refer to us as the proletariat because Obama is President and class warfare is totally fetch right now) are finally in a position of power! For the last decade law schools have attempted to charge 100k+ for a product that retails closer to 60k. Now it's time for them to fork over that 40k, or risk another dramatic drop off in applications.

So yes, applications are moving slower if you're anywhere near the medians. If you walked through the school cafeteria and the first thing on your plate was broccoli you'd wait until the end of the line to see if you could get anything better, even if it mean't that some of the broccoli would get cold. However, it is my guess that when it's all said and done, most of these schools will eat more broccoli than they are used to, release some BS statement about "looking past the numbers and forming a different kind of law class" and at the end of the day we'll all be sexy lawyers who drink whiskey from tumblers at 11 in the morning

BeeTeeDubs, please don't respond with some stupid comment about my grammar or punctuation, because YOLO.

Aroldis105

Nailed it! very creative at the same time.. made my day..

jamaicangrl

Postby jamaicangrl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 pm

ndel21 wrote:
Suralin wrote:

Aroldis105

Nailed it! very creative at the same time.. made my day..

+1

Username123

Postby Username123 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 pm

This post was perfect... because YOLO.

I am about to go eat some non-buttered, unsalted, tasteless, crunchy broccoli. You've inspired my average-ness to shine amongst my fellow 170+ LSATers.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:29 pm

The analogy would be perfect if broccoli wasn't nutritious as fuck.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 pm

helix23 wrote:The analogy would be perfect if broccoli wasn't nutritious as fuck.

iceberg lettuce?

helix23

Postby helix23 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:44 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
helix23 wrote:The analogy would be perfect if broccoli wasn't nutritious as fuck.

iceberg lettuce?

mmm but iceberg is hella good

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:51 pm

helix23 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

iceberg lettuce?

mmm but iceberg is hella good

but no nutritional value or calories.

which is great for when you wanna eat in n out but not with all the carbs. PROTEIN STYLEEEE

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:09 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:

Grammar holocaust.

Don't really care....but it is tough to write on a IPAD when driving down a dirt road, in the dark... Buckwheat

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Don't TLS and drive

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Don't TLS and drive

Only in the dark on a lonely road, hope jason isn't anywhere around here

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:41 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:

Grammar holocaust.

get serious bro

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:

This post was perfect... because YOLO.

I am about to go eat some non-buttered, unsalted, tasteless, crunchy broccoli. You've inspired my average-ness to shine amongst my fellow 170+ LSATers.

The LSAT is not graded on a curve. It is "normalized" to reflect a consistent difficulty across test administrations. There is a big difference.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:45 pm

gitguy wrote:The LSAT is not graded on a curve. It is "normalized" to reflect a consistent difficulty across test administrations. There is a big difference.

Of everything in that post, THIS is what you noticed?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:17 pm

FWIW, it'll be interesting to see how schools contend with so many less 17x scores. Medians really only have a value relative to one another so if every school drops one point, it's a wash. I'm not sure that cutting classes by 5-10% is economical or necessary. That may just be wishful thinking, though. There will probably be a decrease compared to last year (where CLS was the only school to really slash its size, IIRC), but I don't think we'll see more than 5-7% if that.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
gitguy wrote:The LSAT is not graded on a curve. It is "normalized" to reflect a consistent difficulty across test administrations. There is a big difference.

Of everything in that post, THIS is what you noticed?

Tbh, this is the thing that most annoys me about the post. The least bothersome fact: that the post was written while the guy was on the toilet.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:04 pm

I hope acceptances speed up once we hit the deadlines in February. :evil:

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:15 pm

talesofyore wrote:I hope acceptances speed up once we hit the deadlines in February. :evil:

I hope Aroldis105 has another extended stay on the toilet and posts again! Soo much wit and flair, that kid could be on Suits!

ashockofpink

Postby ashockofpink » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:
talesofyore wrote:I hope acceptances speed up once we hit the deadlines in February. :evil:

I hope Aroldis105 has another extended stay on the toilet and posts again! Soo much wit and flair, that kid could be on Suits!

For sure. That post made me all sorts of happy. I'm experiencing the same thing as everyone has been saying - decreased applicant pool has led to some funky decision making.

As far as lawschoolpredictor goes, all my "Admits" are ADMIT minus UC Hastings and USC at this point, my 2 "Strong Consider"s are ADMIT, it's just all the "Consider" schools that are taking their sweet sweet time (although I gotta give UCLA some credit - they responded pretty quickly). T14 seems to be moving slower if you're around medians, disgustingly slow if you're borderline below or below. I have a feeling they're waiting to see everyone who applies before "settling" for us not-170+-4.0-gpa-having individuals. Hopefully after Feb 1st there will be more movement (please?)
p.s. Pretty please?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

I think there's going to be a lot of WL movement, and in like April instead of June.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:26 pm

LRGhost wrote:I think there's going to be a lot of WL movement, and in like April instead of June.

Lord hear our prayer lulz I'm WLed at my top choice school. Though it was a reach, so that I itself agrees with the wackiness of this application cycle.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”