Acceptances Slower than normal?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UselessKnowledge

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby UselessKnowledge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 am

uconjak wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:
uconjak wrote:Thanks for all the comments. My idea is that the T-5 will most likely be at where they want to be, maybe down in class size. After all the market is saturated with lawyers. I got some fast acceptances from several of my "safe" schools mostly from T-20+. According to law school matcher. Reach schools, columbia, stanford, chicago. Target are basically the bottom half of the T14. I would like a t14 school. With my numbers (close) 168/3.9 i believe i have a better chance this year than i would have two years ago.
According to LASC web site it loks like the total numbers are down 20-25%. Last year they were down also, with several schools lowering their class size or lowering their numbers slightly. this puts the schools into a real pickle.

I think many schools are either
1. Taking applicants that are in their historical norms more quickly
2. Taking are looking at the softs more closely, esp. On those apps that are close to the norms 3. apps who are splittrs that they can average in to maintain their numbers.
4. Considering, lowering total class size.
5. Increase money and give it out more quickly to students to ge them commited quicker!

I believe that most schools will do a combination of all these strategies

Long and short of it i think those of us who meet or above the medians on either gpa or lsat have a better shot at those "reach" schools and a very good shot at the target schools and will get some pretty good money on top of it.

Grammar holocaust.

You grammar nazi :lol:
Solid thread though.

well grammer is hard espically when you are home alone, naked eating cheetos after taking 2 oxicodone......watching re-runs of star trek.

Ugh. You could have at least spelled oxycodone correctly. *eyeroll*
Learn how to grammar you raging idiot!

(Note: I'm just kidding bud, making fun of our grammar nazi friends in this thread. Even though I can be one too sometimes.)

LSAquestions

Postby LSAquestions » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

hi all...

anyone know how i should take the fact that my country of citizenship was updated on 2 of the 3 schools i haven't heard from? browsing around, it looks like that seems to be a good sign, but i can't tell that for sure. also, since it's so late in the game, i'm pretty skeptical anything at this point is coming back positive.

anyone have insight to what might be coming from this change?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:49 pm

LSAquestions wrote:hi all...

anyone know how i should take the fact that my country of citizenship was updated on 2 of the 3 schools i haven't heard from? browsing around, it looks like that seems to be a good sign, but i can't tell that for sure. also, since it's so late in the game, i'm pretty skeptical anything at this point is coming back positive.

anyone have insight to what might be coming from this change?

As far as I know, that's mostly a big thing at Georgetown.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:33 am

Who's amped for another exciting day of decisions, or more likely, silence?! I've got 4 schools left to hear back from--praying for no more waitlists!

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:43 pm

well grammer is hard espically when you are home alone, naked eating cheetos after taking 2 oxicodone......watching re-runs of star trek.[/quote]

Ugh. You could have at least spelled oxycodone correctly. *eyeroll*
Learn how to grammar you raging idiot!

(Note: I'm just kidding bud, making fun of our grammar nazi friends in this thread. Even though I can be one too sometimes.)[/quote]

Hey I am just taking the oxycodone not reading the label. Also this is for LAW school not med. school.......LOL

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:56 am

Aroldis105 wrote:Some people have danced around this point, but because I'm bored and on the toilet, I'll elaborate. As a result of the dramatic decrease in applicants some schools are/will be facing some serious issues. I imagine the t-14s will continue with business as usual with the next 15-20 schools meeting their medians, albeit by more judicious (<--law word LOL) means. Schools ranked 30th to South Harmon Institute of Technology are potentially in a whole heap of trouble, the farther down the list you go, the more troublesome it becomes. Remember now that the LSAT is graded on a curve, this means that there will still be a similar number of 165s+. However, the more average scores, such as 158-165 (side note: I think of none of you as average, I'm sure you're all very special) are now substantially less abundant. As a result, your "run of the mill regional school" such as U Cincinnati or U Houston, now finds itself competing against schools like UNC and W&M. Well 9 times out of 10, a law school like W&M can make a more appealing offer (both financially and academically) than Houston. As you could imagine, schools even farther down the totem pole are in even more trouble.

So what does this mean for you!?
Well, if you got a 170+ I don't really give a damn about you, you'll figure it out and make lots of pesos.
However, the rest of us (I'll refer to us as the proletariat because Obama is President and class warfare is totally fetch right now) are finally in a position of power! For the last decade law schools have attempted to charge 100k+ for a product that retails closer to 60k. Now it's time for them to fork over that 40k, or risk another dramatic drop off in applications.

So yes, applications are moving slower if you're anywhere near the medians. If you walked through the school cafeteria and the first thing on your plate was broccoli you'd wait until the end of the line to see if you could get anything better, even if it mean't that some of the broccoli would get cold. However, it is my guess that when it's all said and done, most of these schools will eat more broccoli than they are used to, release some BS statement about "looking past the numbers and forming a different kind of law class" and at the end of the day we'll all be sexy lawyers who drink whiskey from tumblers at 11 in the morning

BeeTeeDubs, please don't respond with some stupid comment about my grammar or punctuation, because YOLO.

Sounds about right.

Its April 1st and I have yet to hear from like 10 schools and decent name schools and I would say my numbers are in the average "very special range" haha

JXander

Postby JXander » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Is it acceptable to ask a school (to which one applied at reasonable time) for an expedited decision in light of looming deposit deadlines?

Darienk

Postby Darienk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:36 pm

JXander wrote:Is it acceptable to ask a school (to which one applied at reasonable time) for an expedited decision in light of looming deposit deadlines?

I have the exact same question.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 pm

JXander wrote:Is it acceptable to ask a school (to which one applied at reasonable time) for an expedited decision in light of looming deposit deadlines?

I would. Unless you applied last week.

Darienk

Postby Darienk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:44 pm

helix23 wrote:

Nope. Applied in January

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Darienk wrote:
helix23 wrote:

Nope. Applied in January

I have several schools who have accepted me, but have not sent me any aid package or who say they are going to but have not yet done so. i am sending them a letter this week stating that By APril 15th i will have to make some decisions on where I am attending law school next fall I want their aid packages by that time or I will drop them from consideration. I want to make sure they understand this. I want to make deposits on apartments and my girlfriend needs to find a job. I don't want to be strung along, period. I am considering doing this at several of The WL'ed schools also.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:40 pm

I have been waiting since October for an NYU decision. I even sent an LOCI in February. FML.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Rory19 wrote:I have been waiting since October for an NYU decision. I even sent an LOCI in February. FML.

Don't feel like the lone ranger buddy

swordking90

Postby swordking90 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Rory19 wrote:I have been waiting since October for an NYU decision. I even sent an LOCI in February. FML.

Would you take NYU over Georgetown w/ that awesome scholly of yours?

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 am

Darienk wrote:

Yea I have schools that want deposits and schools I haven't even heard from yet....and of course wait list. I don't have a ton of cash to burn on deposits.

Darienk

Postby Darienk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:54 pm

mewalke1 wrote:
Darienk wrote:

Yea I have schools that want deposits and schools I haven't even heard from yet....and of course wait list. I don't have a ton of cash to burn on deposits.

Exactly. I do not want to have to make more than one deposit. Currently waiting to hear back from four more schools and still have to hear back from a few schools about fin aid. The clock is ticking...

crazyducky924

Postby crazyducky924 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:51 am

I emailed a couple schools asking them to hurry up (politely of course). The responses I got back varied. One school said they appreciated my continued interest and would bring my application back up to the committee next meeting, while the other school pretty much told me that they would take their sweet a$$ time...

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 pm

crazyducky924 wrote:I emailed a couple schools asking them to hurry up (politely of course). The responses I got back varied. One school said they appreciated my continued interest and would bring my application back up to the committee next meeting, while the other school pretty much told me that they would take their sweet a$$ time...

this is great! thanks for sharing! i have two public schools i'm waiting on, so I'm considering writing them.

illiniguy1551

Postby illiniguy1551 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm

crazyducky924 wrote:I emailed a couple schools asking them to hurry up (politely of course). The responses I got back varied. One school said they appreciated my continued interest and would bring my application back up to the committee next meeting, while the other school pretty much told me that they would take their sweet a$$ time...

I emailed a school I was waitlisted at with my new FEB LSAT score. Admissions person said thanks for the new information and I will get back to you "shortly." It's been two weeks now, can anyone offer the definition of "shortly" in admissions committee lingo??

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:42 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:

I emailed a school I was waitlisted at with my new FEB LSAT score. Admissions person said thanks for the new information and I will get back to you "shortly." It's been two weeks now, can anyone offer the definition of "shortly" in admissions committee lingo??

whenever they damn well please.

question7

Postby question7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:39 pm

wouldn't it be interesting to see what the $ amount was of seat deposits that were forfeited each year - heck, they have no problem giving stats for acceptance rate, etc. How about US New uses it for their rankings?????

Holynorth

Postby Holynorth » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:59 am

Last edited by Holynorth on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 am

Dinged at stanford, one of my dream/Reach schools,,,,come on COLUMBIA!!!

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Finally the wait is over--all of my decisions are in, too bad 5 of them were WLs.

To the poster above who asked why I would choose NYU over Georgetown with my scholarship--you never know how much aid NYU would give. My scholarships at Georgetown was given in large part due to financial need which will be constant across schools. But yes, I agree that my Georgetown scholarship is unlikely to be even close to matched at Chicago, UVA, Penn or NYU (my remaining WLs) so I think I will probably just withdraw to have it all over with.

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Still waiting on UCLA. Figure that it's a good thing that I haven't been dinged yet but it almost feels inevitable at this point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”