Acceptances Slower than normal?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fredmerz

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby fredmerz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:42 pm

I applied to 13 schools but took the February lsat so they didn't go complete until March 7th. I've only heard from three. I'm not that surprised I haven't heard from my reaches but a few of them are safeties and I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard from any of them.

timshellaw

Postby timshellaw » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm

battlerifle13 wrote:Haven't heard a thing from Stanford. Almost forgot I applied there.

+1

NoMistakes

Postby NoMistakes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:47 am

would it be shock to anyone if a lot of schools gave no reply at all?? LOL no acceptance, no waitlist, hold, differ, or rejection...just radio silence...this is crazy

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 am

Law school application numbers are in the basement because anyone applying to law school right now should have their head examined. Schools are not sure of what to do because candidates that normally would accept their offer of admission may well get into a "better" school and thus decline. You are all witnessing a giant yield protection in process wherein schools are trying to figure out how to keep their yield rate constant when one of the most important variables in that equation (which is usally a very constant variable), is in flux. Do not be suprised if you get dinged at schools that you think you should get into. And if that happens - and for some reason you still want to attend - It might be worth calling to see what's up... In normal years that would probably do nothing, but here, where schools are trying to fill classes at or about their normal GPA/LSAT level and keep their yield rate level, you may actually get some traction out of that phone call.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:35 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

Another day! The little bit of movement I've already read about gives me a sliver of hope.

ArianFosterNation

Postby ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Is there a possibility of gaining admission off the WL before the deposit date? I'm getting antsy with my 9 WLs I received this cycle. Another applicant and I were discussing the fact that we both may choose to go to grad school instead. (She was accepted at 12 schools with 5 WL and me at 1 school with 9 WL)

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:43 pm

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 pm

sublime wrote:
ArianFosterNation wrote:Is there a possibility of gaining admission off the WL before the deposit date? I'm getting antsy with my 9 WLs I received this cycle. Another applicant and I were discussing the fact that we both may choose to go to grad school instead. (She was accepted at 12 schools with 5 WL and me at 1 school with 9 WL)

Not nearly enough information.

You see, if you apply the proportional friends property with the grad student equilibrium theory, you can properly infer that Arian Nation will be accepted off the waitlist at 4 of the 9 schools where the nazi was waitlisted.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:49 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:Is there a possibility of gaining admission off the WL before the deposit date? I'm getting antsy with my 9 WLs I received this cycle. Another applicant and I were discussing the fact that we both may choose to go to grad school instead. (She was accepted at 12 schools with 5 WL and me at 1 school with 9 WL)

GW actually started taking students off the WL earlier this month. However, they all had high LSAT scores if I remember correctly. It appears they were trying to raise their LSAT median by cherry picking off the waitlist. However, I wouldn't bet on this happening--it's very unusual.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:GW actually started taking students off the WL earlier this month. However, they all had high LSAT scores if I remember correctly. It appears they were trying to raise their LSAT median by cherry picking off the waitlist. However, I wouldn't bet on this happening--it's very unusual.

I had a 166, and they admitted me off the waitlist.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:GW actually started taking students off the WL earlier this month. However, they all had high LSAT scores if I remember correctly. It appears they were trying to raise their LSAT median by cherry picking off the waitlist. However, I wouldn't bet on this happening--it's very unusual.

I had a 166, and they admitted me off the waitlist.

or was it high GPAs? It was some sort of splitter thing, I may have gotten it reversed! Apologies

Main point is, GW accepted off the WL--but that's unusual

ArianFosterNation

Postby ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
sublime wrote:

Not nearly enough information.

You see, if you apply the proportional friends property with the grad student equilibrium theory, you can properly infer that Arian Nation will be accepted off the waitlist at 4 of the 9 schools where the nazi was waitlisted.

You are just oh so clever.

Gpa: 3.5 (top 50)
LSAT: 155
URM

And I stand corrected, it was 10 schools I was WL from.

1. American
2. Mason
3. UIUC
4. Washington and LEE
5. University of Houston
6 New york Law school
7. UC Irvine
8. Michigan State
9. Missouri
10. Florida State

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:59 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:URM

wat

ArianFosterNation

Postby ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:09 pm

shntn wrote:

wat

I think it might possibly stand for "Under Represented Minority" or something like that. Maybe not.....

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:
shntn wrote:

wat

I think it might possibly stand for "Under Represented Minority" or something like that. Maybe not.....

D'oh, of course LOL.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:
shntn wrote:

wat

Okay bruss

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

I believe that most schools have a plan. they are not sure which plan they are going to use. If you look at USC's plan it is clear. They got very agressive, they drew a line in the sand. I believe they will be at a 167 median. Other schools are trying to figure it all out....some are just playing it by ear. Nwestern lowered class size25-30 to keep their medians. It is the high volume schools that are going to have the problem, Columbia, NYU, GULC and to a lesser extent some of the others that have class sizes in the 250-350 range. It will be tough to fill the class, and maintain the Yields and Medians. I should almost be an AUTO DING at COlumbia, NYU and CHicago, yet I was HELD at CLS and Have Not been rejected at Chicago, or NYU yet. Most schools are dragging their feet. GULC just contacted me about Aid, Really? NOW? after all this time and three emails over the past 2 months about aid? I had just about written them off, but now I get and email about aid. did they have to many kids leave for higher/lower ranked schools because of AID? I believe that Several schools have had their head in the sand thinking that this was all overblown and the numbers and the reputation would get them through it. well sports fans, its not going to happen. You are not HLS, YLS, or SLS. The bottom 10 if the T14 are haveing some serious issues right about now. I also Believe that the current student base is more concerned about the COA and the money they will have to pay back. that does not bode well for some of the T14 who have relied on people willing to pay sticker price at their pretigeous law school. I would love to go to GULC, but with 120K at USC and 93K at UCLA, it is hard for me to take the plunge at the sticker of GULC. its just not in the cards.
Anyway that's my two cents worth on the situation.

sc-123

Postby sc-123 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Team, would I be accurate in saying: at least as reflected on Law School Numbers graphs, Harvard, Stanford and Yale have not sent out many decisions at all?

Harvard - http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213
Stanford - http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213
Yale - http://yale.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213

Compare especially to Columbia (http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213) and NYU (http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213). Part of this is attributable to YHS lower number of applications, but would I be totally off-base to conclude that YHS still has a good number of decisions to make? FWIW I'm a NYU/Columbia/UVa/Penn hopeful, perhaps overly optimistically thinking that as YHS gives out more acceptances, spots will open up lower in the T14.

ArianFosterNation

Postby ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 pm

shntn wrote:
ArianFosterNation wrote:
shntn wrote:

wat

D'oh, of course LOL.

Sar.....casm.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

sc-123 wrote:Team, would I be accurate in saying: at least as reflected on Law School Numbers graphs, Harvard, Stanford and Yale have not sent out many decisions at all?

Harvard - http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213
Stanford - http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213
Yale - http://yale.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213

Compare especially to Columbia (http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213) and NYU (http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213). Part of this is attributable to YHS lower number of applications, but would I be totally off-base to conclude that YHS still has a good number of decisions to make? FWIW I'm a NYU/Columbia/UVa/Penn hopeful, perhaps overly optimistically thinking that as YHS gives out more acceptances, spots will open up lower in the T14.

I am guessing you fell that many schools are running behind on acceptances this year. You must also conclude that some school will decide that reducing class size will be their plan to maintain medians. Also, you must recognize that LSN % of Total Law School applicants might be down also. Generally speaking, LSNers have higher Lsat and Gpa scores as compared to the general LSAT taker population at large. That could also reduce the amount shown on LSN. I believe that many schools are running behind about 10-15% of their normal rate of acceptance notifications. I also believe that it WILL open some oppurtunities for many of us who are WL or HELd at some of these schools depending on what policy they take this year. Lowering standards, increasing aid, lowering class size. those are thier only real options with application being down nearly 35% over the past 2 years.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:
uconjak wrote:Thanks for all the comments. My idea is that the T-5 will most likely be at where they want to be, maybe down in class size. After all the market is saturated with lawyers. I got some fast acceptances from several of my "safe" schools mostly from T-20+. According to law school matcher. Reach schools, columbia, stanford, chicago. Target are basically the bottom half of the T14. I would like a t14 school. With my numbers (close) 168/3.9 i believe i have a better chance this year than i would have two years ago.
According to LASC web site it loks like the total numbers are down 20-25%. Last year they were down also, with several schools lowering their class size or lowering their numbers slightly. this puts the schools into a real pickle.

I think many schools are either
1. Taking applicants that are in their historical norms more quickly
2. Taking are looking at the softs more closely, esp. On those apps that are close to the norms 3. apps who are splittrs that they can average in to maintain their numbers.
4. Considering, lowering total class size.
5. Increase money and give it out more quickly to students to ge them commited quicker!

I believe that most schools will do a combination of all these strategies

Long and short of it i think those of us who meet or above the medians on either gpa or lsat have a better shot at those "reach" schools and a very good shot at the target schools and will get some pretty good money on top of it.

Grammar holocaust.

You grammar nazi :lol:
Solid thread though.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:34 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:
uconjak wrote:Thanks for all the comments. My idea is that the T-5 will most likely be at where they want to be, maybe down in class size. After all the market is saturated with lawyers. I got some fast acceptances from several of my "safe" schools mostly from T-20+. According to law school matcher. Reach schools, columbia, stanford, chicago. Target are basically the bottom half of the T14. I would like a t14 school. With my numbers (close) 168/3.9 i believe i have a better chance this year than i would have two years ago.
According to LASC web site it loks like the total numbers are down 20-25%. Last year they were down also, with several schools lowering their class size or lowering their numbers slightly. this puts the schools into a real pickle.

I think many schools are either
1. Taking applicants that are in their historical norms more quickly
2. Taking are looking at the softs more closely, esp. On those apps that are close to the norms 3. apps who are splittrs that they can average in to maintain their numbers.
4. Considering, lowering total class size.
5. Increase money and give it out more quickly to students to ge them commited quicker!

I believe that most schools will do a combination of all these strategies

Long and short of it i think those of us who meet or above the medians on either gpa or lsat have a better shot at those "reach" schools and a very good shot at the target schools and will get some pretty good money on top of it.

Grammar holocaust.

You grammar nazi :lol:
Solid thread though.

well grammer is hard espically when you are home alone, naked eating cheetos after taking 2 oxicodone......watching re-runs of star trek.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 am

uconjak wrote:well grammer is hard espically when you are home alone, naked eating cheetos after taking 2 oxicodone......watching re-runs of star trek.

Is this what you do 24/7? This excuse doesn't work when your posting hasn't changed at all.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:35 am

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”