Acceptances Slower than normal?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uconjak

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby uconjak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:42 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
uconjak wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:There is absolutely no reason why a religion is able to choose a new leader before a law school can choose whether to admit me or not.

I think tonight i am going to start thinning the herd of acceptances....some schools i have decided NOT to attend. It will give those who still wait in the wings to get a chance.

How many elipses and periods were in your personal statement?

Just a sec, got to take off my shoes....

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:42 pm

:lol:

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Ain't nothing wrong with ellipses...pound it bro

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:47 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Ain't nothing wrong with ellipses...pound it bro

There's a difference…... between elipses and an.....how do you say.... indiscriminate number of periods……

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:47 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:pound it bro

If I had a dollar for every time.............................

hopingtogetin

Postby hopingtogetin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:55 am

I'm waiting on 2 schools still, both of which I'm hugely above their medians. One of them I sent a panicked late app after a weird post-rejection meltdown in early February, so that's not a shock, but the other one was complete 11/4.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 am

Heard back and accepted to every school in which I'm above the medians within about four weeks.

Still waiting on 9/11 schools I applied to below the medians.

Makes a good deal of sense, but its still frustrating having good outstanding scholarship offers while waiting on places I'd likely have to attend at sticker.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 pm

nba101790 wrote:Heard back and accepted to every school in which I'm above the medians within about four weeks.

Still waiting on 9/11 schools I applied to below the medians.

Makes a good deal of sense, but its still frustrating having good outstanding scholarship offers while waiting on places I'd likely have to attend at sticker.

If you have good scholly offers (note the plural), be grateful. That's a lot more than most of us miserably and hopelessly waiting.

md22

Postby md22 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:13 pm

At this point in the cycle, I feel like the responses I'm waiting on will not be positive. This time of year is ripe for denials, no? Is there some data I can look at regarding this?

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 pm

md22 wrote:At this point in the cycle, I feel like the responses I'm waiting on will not be positive. This time of year is ripe for denials, no? Is there some data I can look at regarding this?

I feel the same way, denials and waitlists are all I'm expecting. If you look at law school numbers, youll notice some schools havent sent out many, if any, waitlist decisions. Though I have a slimmer of hope. I think that perhaps some applicants just under 25th percentiles might be admitted in the coming days. Given how odd this cycle is, I think many schools have held off sending decisions until after apps closed, so as to get a complete view of the pool.

sirilu91

Postby sirilu91 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm at the point where my parents have started asking me if I've been hiding any law school decisions from them............

-_____-

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:18 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote: Better than mine. Mine are more like: If you sit out another cycle, you're moving out. :oops:

Applied in mid Feb, so +10000000

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 am

It's Friday again. Here's hoping for more movement today!

On a more serious note, is anyone concerned for how these last minute decisions will affect scholarship negotiations? I have existing schollys in my arsenal to leverage, but time is of the essence. I know scholarship negotiations continue past seat deposit deadlines, but I think you lose certain amount of leverage once you've committed somewhere. Thoughts?

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Strange, I talked to one of my LOR's yesterday. she/He asked for an update on my acceptances. I told her/him that i was on HOLD at COlumbia, had not heard anything from Chicago, Stanford, NYU. Told him/her where i was accepted and scholly info. He said, don't worry, he thought I would get into columbia or the other 3? I was a little shocked, with a 168/3.9? he said, that he/her got with my other 2 LOR's went to MY currrent University's Law school adcoms and told them that they wanted me to get into one of these top schools. They help craft the letters together to make sure I had a good chance. When I went to USC several weeks ago the Dean of admissions told me that she was very impressed with my LOR's along with my record. Looking at the timeline. I went complete to accepted in 5 days. Very fast for USC!

When I interview with Nwestern and GULC they said Basically the same thing. I was put on hold at NU and Accepted at GULC.
Law school Predictor says I am a weak consider at Columbia, NYU and CHicago, 22-28% acceptance. Stanford at 44%. I figured I was almost an AUTO-DING at these schools. but I haven't heard a thing.

OF My LOR's, One is a YLS grad, One is a Harvard Phd. the other a Stanford Phd. I did a 3 year, published research project with the YLS grad so he know me very well.

Do LOR's they that much difference? I saw part of the letter the YLS grad wrote. He showed it to me. It was very flatering. the one comment that stood out in my mind is "As a YLS grad. I know what it takes to get through a top law school. this student has all the tools to be a top performer at XXX law school. her current Lsat score does not showcase her ability." Can they move you up the list that far?
Some schools rejected me, Virginia, Berkeley. I think Berkely rejected my, because 1. I went to a State University and 2. i am the vp of the young Repubs at my school. wriote some very conservative articles in the Local Newspaper.

anyones thoughts. I expected dings at these 4 top schools

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 am

Has anyone ever considered if admissions offices can gather stats from whatever program they use for status checkers? i.e. if they can actually tell how many times you've checked your status? sounds crazy, but I wonder :shock:

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:16 am

uconjak wrote:Strange, I talked to one of my LOR's yesterday. she/He asked for an update on my acceptances. I told her/him that i was on HOLD at COlumbia, had not heard anything from Chicago, Stanford, NYU. Told him/her where i was accepted and scholly info. He said, don't worry, he thought I would get into columbia or the other 3? I was a little shocked, with a 168/3.9? he said, that he/her got with my other 2 LOR's went to MY currrent University's Law school adcoms and told them that they wanted me to get into one of these top schools. They help craft the letters together to make sure I had a good chance. When I went to USC several weeks ago the Dean of admissions told me that she was very impressed with my LOR's along with my record. Looking at the timeline. I went complete to accepted in 5 days. Very fast for USC!

When I interview with Nwestern and GULC they said Basically the same thing. I was put on hold at NU and Accepted at GULC.
Law school Predictor says I am a weak consider at Columbia, NYU and CHicago, 22-28% acceptance. Stanford at 44%. I figured I was almost an AUTO-DING at these schools. but I haven't heard a thing.

OF My LOR's, One is a YLS grad, One is a Harvard Phd. the other a Stanford Phd. I did a 3 year, published research project with the YLS grad so he know me very well.

Do LOR's they that much difference? I saw part of the letter the YLS grad wrote. He showed it to me. It was very flatering. the one comment that stood out in my mind is "As a YLS grad. I know what it takes to get through a top law school. this student has all the tools to be a top performer at XXX law school. her current Lsat score does not showcase her ability." Can they move you up the list that far?
Some schools rejected me, Virginia, Berkeley. I think Berkely rejected my, because 1. I went to a State University and 2. i am the vp of the young Repubs at my school. wriote some very conservative articles in the Local Newspaper.

No offense, but I just hope that excerpt is not indicative of your writing ability. It was quite painful to read.

shntn

Postby shntn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 am

dnptan wrote:
uconjak wrote:Strange, I talked to one of my LOR's yesterday. she/He asked for an update on my acceptances. I told her/him that i was on HOLD at COlumbia, had not heard anything from Chicago, Stanford, NYU. Told him/her where i was accepted and scholly info. He said, don't worry, he thought I would get into columbia or the other 3? I was a little shocked, with a 168/3.9? he said, that he/her got with my other 2 LOR's went to MY currrent University's Law school adcoms and told them that they wanted me to get into one of these top schools. They help craft the letters together to make sure I had a good chance. When I went to USC several weeks ago the Dean of admissions told me that she was very impressed with my LOR's along with my record. Looking at the timeline. I went complete to accepted in 5 days. Very fast for USC!

No offense, but I just hope that excerpt is not indicative of your writing ability. It was quite painful to read.

I prefer it with gobs of ellipses.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am

Idk what predictor you are using, but 168 and 3.9 on http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm gives you better chances than you stated, unless you are doing a generous roundup on that GPA, which I suspect many people do.

Back to the purpose of this thread, I applied late, but it is very surprising how few schools I have heard back from. I imagine schools are holding off on making decisions until their deposit deadlines pass

battlerifle13

Postby battlerifle13 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 am

Haven't heard a thing from Stanford. Almost forgot I applied there.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 am

gatorgirl2012 wrote:Has anyone ever considered if admissions offices can gather stats from whatever program they use for status checkers? i.e. if they can actually tell how many times you've checked your status? sounds crazy, but I wonder :shock:

Dean Perez say they can, but it's not worth the trouble, if I remember correctly.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:12 pm

shntn wrote:
dnptan wrote:

I prefer it with gobs of ellipses.

1. I was in pain, got into a car accident on thursday. I was at home resting and the oxicodone didn't help much either.
2. i was using an Ipad, I hate typing on it. Fingers way to big.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Don't worry about it dude. Anyone critiquing grammar on a message board should find something else to do.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:17 pm

LRGhost wrote:Don't worry about it dude. Anyone critiquing grammar on a message board should find something else to do.

You know, Better living through Chemistry!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”