Acceptances Slower than normal?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby uconjak » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 pm

DOes it seem that acceptances this year are slower than normal? Everyone seems to be complaining about it.
1. how much behind are the law schools than normal
2. whats the reason?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby stillwater » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:00 pm

uconjak wrote:DOes it seem that acceptances this year are slower than normal? Everyone seems to be complaining about it.
1. how much behind are the law schools than normal
2. whats the reason?


If this is indeed true, it is most likely because there are less applicants this year (like last year) and they want to gauge what sort of availability there is out there. They proceed cautiously because they are crooks who want to cook the books the best they can. HTH.

coffeeaddict
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby coffeeaddict » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:01 pm

stillwater wrote:
uconjak wrote:DOes it seem that acceptances this year are slower than normal? Everyone seems to be complaining about it.
1. how much behind are the law schools than normal
2. whats the reason?


If this is indeed true, it is most likely because there are less applicants this year (like last year) and they want to gauge what sort of availability there is out there. They proceed cautiously because they are crooks who want to cook the books the best they can. HTH.



totally agree.

One of those crooks better accept me and give me some $$. LOL

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am

December dragged on. I'm scared that January might not be much different.

Another thing to realize, though, is that since most offices were closed from 12/23 to 1/2, this week is the first full week of business for this year. Hopefully things will start moving a little faster by the end of the week.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 am

I disagree. At my school, last year regular decisions started rolling in in January. This year, in December (despite sloppy sandy)

alex.feuerman
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby alex.feuerman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:53 am

Not necessarily. I applied right before November 15 and was accepted December 6, but I did ED.
I guess what I mean is they have the ability to look at apps fast...they just...don't. :p

havanese11
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby havanese11 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 am

It's only slow if you are at their medians or below. If you are above their medians they have been very quick to admit you based on my experience.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 am

havanese11 wrote:It's only slow if you are at their medians or below. If you are above their medians they have been very quick to admit you based on my experience.

This meshes with what an admissions officer on this site has said: If you have high numbers your application gets looked at a lot sooner than if you have meh numbers

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 am

havanese11 wrote:It's only slow if you are at their medians or below. If you are above their medians they have been very quick to admit you based on my experience.



Lots of folks over in the USC and UCLA threads would beg to differ


Also, chi/Columbia have been sloooow. Way to add an extra administrative hurdle for yourself, chi!

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 am

Lol, I'm one of the people complaining a little bit, so thought I'd contribute my 2 cents.

As far as the T14 go:

For the T6 + Penn, at least, my opinion is they definitely are moving slower than last year.

UVA, Michigan, Berkeley, Georgetown, Cornell, and Duke, all seem to be moving at the same rate if not a bit faster (certainly UVA and Mich are throwing WAY more big scholarships around early in the cycle).

Northwestern, I have no idea as I've never applied.

And super auto-admits always get in fast, that's a given in any cycle.

EDIT: And as far as the reason why many schools seem to be moving slower (the top schools anyways), I highly suspect its due to the unpredictability of this cycle with respect to decreasing applications (especially the decline those with 170+ scores, hence why the top half of the T14 are the ones moving the slowest). Schools simply don't know how things will turn out, the number of Oct. test takers took a hug hit again, and they didn't want to make decisions before they had time to see all the December LSAT scores (February they are less concerned with as far fewer people take it in Feb. and scores come so late in the cycle)
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:For the T6 + Penn, at least, my opinion is they definitely are moving slower than last year.

I wonder if, as classes keep shrinking and applications keep falling, the pattern will just align to HYS's timetables with some of the splitter-friendly schools hoping to whip up enthusiasm in December.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby helix23 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 pm

my horoscope told me to look out for "e-mails or texts that will better my prospects"

BIG NEWS COMING BABY!

Evilalterego
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby Evilalterego » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Got this from the Wake Forest thread. The dean's response to why it has been a strange year:

TLSers~

Why do I say it is strange year?

Applications are down nationally for the third year in a row. Many schools are seeing 30-40%+ decreases over last year. At Wake our applications were up 30% last year but are down somewhat this year. Because of the volatile nature of the pool it's unclear whether the typical modeling algorithms we use to make offers or award scholarships will provide accurate projections. Therefore, we are working hard to make the right decisions.

Because we brought in a smaller class last year for a variety of reasons it is even more important this year that we strive to achieve a range of institutional goals — class size, credentials, budgetary, diversity and others. This is not so different from other years except that the pool of qualified applicants in the range that historically comprise our class has been shrinking drastically over the last three years perhaps as much as 50 percent since 2009.

This makes for a very "strange" year where we find it difficult to predict outcomes even in light of increased scrutiny and pressure around our institutional goals.

Jay Shively
Wake Law

zackw618
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby zackw618 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 pm

I don't think so. I applied in early to mid-December, and I've had decisions from 4 out of 8 schools. I think it just seems like time drags on slower when you're in the process, instead of on the outside looking in.

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Some people have danced around this point, but because I'm bored and on the toilet, I'll elaborate. As a result of the dramatic decrease in applicants some schools are/will be facing some serious issues. I imagine the t-14s will continue with business as usual with the next 15-20 schools meeting their medians, albeit by more judicious (<--law word LOL) means. Schools ranked 30th to South Harmon Institute of Technology are potentially in a whole heap of trouble, the farther down the list you go, the more troublesome it becomes. Remember now that the LSAT is graded on a curve, this means that there will still be a similar number of 165s+. However, the more average scores, such as 158-165 (side note: I think of none of you as average, I'm sure you're all very special) are now substantially less abundant. As a result, your "run of the mill regional school" such as U Cincinnati or U Houston, now finds itself competing against schools like UNC and W&M. Well 9 times out of 10, a law school like W&M can make a more appealing offer (both financially and academically) than Houston. As you could imagine, schools even farther down the totem pole are in even more trouble.

So what does this mean for you!?
Well, if you got a 170+ I don't really give a damn about you, you'll figure it out and make lots of pesos.
However, the rest of us (I'll refer to us as the proletariat because Obama is President and class warfare is totally fetch right now) are finally in a position of power! For the last decade law schools have attempted to charge 100k+ for a product that retails closer to 60k. Now it's time for them to fork over that 40k, or risk another dramatic drop off in applications.

So yes, applications are moving slower if you're anywhere near the medians. If you walked through the school cafeteria and the first thing on your plate was broccoli you'd wait until the end of the line to see if you could get anything better, even if it mean't that some of the broccoli would get cold. However, it is my guess that when it's all said and done, most of these schools will eat more broccoli than they are used to, release some BS statement about "looking past the numbers and forming a different kind of law class" and at the end of the day we'll all be sexy lawyers who drink whiskey from tumblers at 11 in the morning

BeeTeeDubs, please don't respond with some stupid comment about my grammar or punctuation, because YOLO.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:26 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:Some people have danced around this point, but because I'm bored and on the toilet, I'll elaborate. As a result of the dramatic decrease in applicants some schools are/will be facing some serious issues. I imagine the t-14s will continue with business as usual with the next 15-20 schools meeting their medians, albeit by more judicious (<--law word LOL) means. Schools ranked 30th to South Harmon Institute of Technology are potentially in a whole heap of trouble, the farther down the list you go, the more troublesome it becomes. Remember now that the LSAT is graded on a curve, this means that there will still be a similar number of 165s+. However, the more average scores, such as 158-165 (side note: I think of none of you as average, I'm sure you're all very special) are now substantially less abundant. As a result, your "run of the mill regional school" such as U Cincinnati or U Houston, now finds itself competing against schools like UNC and W&M. Well 9 times out of 10, a law school like W&M can make a more appealing offer (both financially and academically) than Houston. As you could imagine, schools even farther down the totem pole are in even more trouble.

So what does this mean for you!?
Well, if you got a 170+ I don't really give a damn about you, you'll figure it out and make lots of pesos.
However, the rest of us (I'll refer to us as the proletariat because Obama is President and class warfare is totally fetch right now) are finally in a position of power! For the last decade law schools have attempted to charge 100k+ for a product that retails closer to 60k. Now it's time for them to fork over that 40k, or risk another dramatic drop off in applications.

So yes, applications are moving slower if you're anywhere near the medians. If you walked through the school cafeteria and the first thing on your plate was broccoli you'd wait until the end of the line to see if you could get anything better, even if it mean't that some of the broccoli would get cold. However, it is my guess that when it's all said and done, most of these schools will eat more broccoli than they are used to, release some BS statement about "looking past the numbers and forming a different kind of law class" and at the end of the day we'll all be sexy lawyers who drink whiskey from tumblers at 11 in the morning

BeeTeeDubs, please don't respond with some stupid comment about my grammar or punctuation, because YOLO.

Please never stop doing whatever this is that you're doing.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:29 pm

zackw618 wrote:I don't think so. I applied in early to mid-December, and I've had decisions from 4 out of 8 schools. I think it just seems like time drags on slower when you're in the process, instead of on the outside looking in.


A nice thought and waiting definitely sucks but some schools are going slower than last year. It isn't subjective.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:Some people have danced around this point, but because I'm bored and on the toilet, I'll elaborate. As a result of the dramatic decrease in applicants some schools are/will be facing some serious issues. I imagine the t-14s will continue with business as usual with the next 15-20 schools meeting their medians, albeit by more judicious (<--law word LOL) means. Schools ranked 30th to South Harmon Institute of Technology are potentially in a whole heap of trouble, the farther down the list you go, the more troublesome it becomes. Remember now that the LSAT is graded on a curve, this means that there will still be a similar number of 165s+. However, the more average scores, such as 158-165 (side note: I think of none of you as average, I'm sure you're all very special) are now substantially less abundant. As a result, your "run of the mill regional school" such as U Cincinnati or U Houston, now finds itself competing against schools like UNC and W&M. Well 9 times out of 10, a law school like W&M can make a more appealing offer (both financially and academically) than Houston. As you could imagine, schools even farther down the totem pole are in even more trouble.

So what does this mean for you!?
Well, if you got a 170+ I don't really give a damn about you, you'll figure it out and make lots of pesos.
However, the rest of us (I'll refer to us as the proletariat because Obama is President and class warfare is totally fetch right now) are finally in a position of power! For the last decade law schools have attempted to charge 100k+ for a product that retails closer to 60k. Now it's time for them to fork over that 40k, or risk another dramatic drop off in applications.

So yes, applications are moving slower if you're anywhere near the medians. If you walked through the school cafeteria and the first thing on your plate was broccoli you'd wait until the end of the line to see if you could get anything better, even if it mean't that some of the broccoli would get cold. However, it is my guess that when it's all said and done, most of these schools will eat more broccoli than they are used to, release some BS statement about "looking past the numbers and forming a different kind of law class" and at the end of the day we'll all be sexy lawyers who drink whiskey from tumblers at 11 in the morning

BeeTeeDubs, please don't respond with some stupid comment about my grammar or punctuation, because YOLO.

This makes an insane amount of sense.

That being said, stop trying to make "fetch" happen. It's not going to happen.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby shntn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Please never stop doing whatever this is that you're doing.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:Some people have danced around this point, but because I'm bored and on the toilet, I'll elaborate.


stay on the toilet, bro. it's working for you.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 pm

helix23 wrote:
zackw618 wrote:I don't think so. I applied in early to mid-December, and I've had decisions from 4 out of 8 schools. I think it just seems like time drags on slower when you're in the process, instead of on the outside looking in.


A nice thought and waiting definitely sucks but some schools are going slower than last year. It isn't subjective.

But then, other schools are going faster.
Don't overanalyze it, folks, just do it

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 pm

dingbat wrote:
helix23 wrote:
zackw618 wrote:I don't think so. I applied in early to mid-December, and I've had decisions from 4 out of 8 schools. I think it just seems like time drags on slower when you're in the process, instead of on the outside looking in.


A nice thought and waiting definitely sucks but some schools are going slower than last year. It isn't subjective.

But then, other schools are going faster.
Don't overanalyze it, folks, just do it


true dat cuz

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:Some people have danced around this point, but because I'm bored and on the toilet, I'll elaborate. As a result of the dramatic decrease in applicants some schools are/will be facing some serious issues. I imagine the t-14s will continue with business as usual with the next 15-20 schools meeting their medians, albeit by more judicious (<--law word LOL) means. Schools ranked 30th to South Harmon Institute of Technology are potentially in a whole heap of trouble, the farther down the list you go, the more troublesome it becomes. Remember now that the LSAT is graded on a curve, this means that there will still be a similar number of 165s+. However, the more average scores, such as 158-165 (side note: I think of none of you as average, I'm sure you're all very special) are now substantially less abundant. As a result, your "run of the mill regional school" such as U Cincinnati or U Houston, now finds itself competing against schools like UNC and W&M. Well 9 times out of 10, a law school like W&M can make a more appealing offer (both financially and academically) than Houston. As you could imagine, schools even farther down the totem pole are in even more trouble.

So what does this mean for you!?
Well, if you got a 170+ I don't really give a damn about you, you'll figure it out and make lots of pesos.
However, the rest of us (I'll refer to us as the proletariat because Obama is President and class warfare is totally fetch right now) are finally in a position of power! For the last decade law schools have attempted to charge 100k+ for a product that retails closer to 60k. Now it's time for them to fork over that 40k, or risk another dramatic drop off in applications.

So yes, applications are moving slower if you're anywhere near the medians. If you walked through the school cafeteria and the first thing on your plate was broccoli you'd wait until the end of the line to see if you could get anything better, even if it mean't that some of the broccoli would get cold. However, it is my guess that when it's all said and done, most of these schools will eat more broccoli than they are used to, release some BS statement about "looking past the numbers and forming a different kind of law class" and at the end of the day we'll all be sexy lawyers who drink whiskey from tumblers at 11 in the morning

BeeTeeDubs, please don't respond with some stupid comment about my grammar or punctuation, because YOLO.

This makes an insane amount of sense.

That being said, stop trying to make "fetch" happen. It's not going to happen.

User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby uconjak » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for all the comments. My idea is that the T-5 will most likely be at where they want to be, maybe down in class size. After all the market is saturated with lawyers. I got some fast acceptances from several of my "safe" schools mostly from T-20+. According to law school matcher. Reach schools, columbia, stanford, chicago. Target are basically the bottom half of the T14. I would like a t14 school. With my numbers (close) 168/3.9 i believe i have a better chance this year than i would have two years ago.
According to LASC web site it loks like the total numbers are down 20-25%. Last year they were down also, with several schools lowering their class size or lowering their numbers slightly. this puts the schools into a real pickle.

I think many schools are either
1. Taking applicants that are in their historical norms more quickly
2. Taking are looking at the softs more closely, esp. On those apps that are close to the norms 3. apps who are splittrs that they can average in to maintain their numbers.
4. Considering, lowering total class size.
5. Increase money and give it out more quickly to students to ge them commited quicker!

I believe that most schools will do a combination of all these strategies

Long and short of it i think those of us who meet or above the medians on either gpa or lsat have a better shot at those "reach" schools and a very good shot at the target schools and will get some pretty good money on top of it.

User avatar
teachmehowtoraji
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Acceptances Slower than normal?

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:00 am

uconjak wrote:Thanks for all the comments. My idea is that the T-5 will most likely be at where they want to be, maybe down in class size. After all the market is saturated with lawyers. I got some fast acceptances from several of my "safe" schools mostly from T-20+. According to law school matcher. Reach schools, columbia, stanford, chicago. Target are basically the bottom half of the T14. I would like a t14 school. With my numbers (close) 168/3.9 i believe i have a better chance this year than i would have two years ago.
According to LASC web site it loks like the total numbers are down 20-25%. Last year they were down also, with several schools lowering their class size or lowering their numbers slightly. this puts the schools into a real pickle.

I think many schools are either
1. Taking applicants that are in their historical norms more quickly
2. Taking are looking at the softs more closely, esp. On those apps that are close to the norms 3. apps who are splittrs that they can average in to maintain their numbers.
4. Considering, lowering total class size.
5. Increase money and give it out more quickly to students to ge them commited quicker!


I believe that most schools will do a combination of all these strategies

Long and short of it i think those of us who meet or above the medians on either gpa or lsat have a better shot at those "reach" schools and a very good shot at the target schools and will get some pretty good money on top of it.




Grammar holocaust.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, AZnative, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], grades??, Nobiggie, okf731 and 13 guests