Nebraska C/O 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cooldude87

Re: Nebraska C/O 2016

Postby cooldude87 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Any suggestions on what to wear on a preview day

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:46 pm

cooldude87 wrote:Any suggestions on what to wear on a preview day

Wear whatever is comfortable unless you're meeting with someone from admissions, in which case I would go business casual.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Let's ressurect this thread with the news that UNL is now ranked 61st by USNWR. Up 28 spots from last year. Go HUSKERS!

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Is there a facebook group for our class

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Admissions said the FB page will launch after the first seat deposit is due. I am anxious to start the roommate/housing search.

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Anyone else going to the ASW on the 12th?

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Doc,
I know you commute from Omaha everyday. How has that been? If you had to do it over again for 1L would you still do it (seems like with class everyday that would take a toll)? Have you had any issues missing class or catching up if you did?

Also I am married, how has the transition been for you and your family? Any tips on keeping it all together, should I even make my wife move the first year when she has a job locked down where we are? Would I see her even if I did?

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:52 pm

Tier2Allstar wrote:Doc,
I know you commute from Omaha everyday. How has that been? If you had to do it over again for 1L would you still do it (seems like with class everyday that would take a toll)? Have you had any issues missing class or catching up if you did?

Also I am married, how has the transition been for you and your family? Any tips on keeping it all together, should I even make my wife move the first year when she has a job locked down where we are? Would I see her even if I did?

Doc will have better insights since he did while in school, and if you're used to the long commutes that can be typical of big cities it might not bother you, but personally having to drive between Lincoln and Omaha every day would drive me crazy. That being said it's really not bad. 40-50 minutes of low traffic interstate driving.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Tier2Allstar wrote:Doc,

The commute has been a pain in the ass. It's not a terrible commute if you're used to such things, but I'm not a fan. Luckily, the weather was good for 1L and I don't think I was ever actually late for a class but this winter has been a bit of a different story and I have missed 2 or 3 classes this spring semester because the weather caused the commute to take longer than I had planned. As far as I am concerned, if I had the choice, I would not commute daily because it eats a significant portion of your time, but my wife works in Omaha and so we live there. Also, I don't think that the advantages of living in Omaha outweigh those of Lincoln enough to compensate for the commute time.

I think the transition was harder for the kids than for my wife. I would move you wife with you absent a really compelling reason to not. I made a point of taking every Friday night off to spend with my wife and kids. Some people spend less time studying then I did and would have more time for family. I also think the built-in support system is good especially for 1L when everything is new and a little bit intimidating. While being married in law school isn't easy, I think that the added stress of being away from my wife would not have been good.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you other questions.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Hey guys I've been accepted at Nebraska. But heres the problem.

Can someone tell me how exactly it works if I dont put in a deposit on time? I have a few schools to visit and while I should get to some before the deposit date some of my other schools deposit dates are a lot earlier. I dont want to put a ton of money toward school I might not go to but also dont want to get my seat yanked for not making a deposit on time either. And Nebraska is a ways to travel so it might take some time to get there.

Thanks

zniha

Postby zniha » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:28 pm

mewalke1 wrote:Hey guys I've been accepted at Nebraska. But heres the problem.

Can someone tell me how exactly it works if I dont put in a deposit on time? I have a few schools to visit and while I should get to some before the deposit date some of my other schools deposit dates are a lot earlier. I dont want to put a ton of money toward school I might not go to but also dont want to get my seat yanked for not making a deposit on time either. And Nebraska is a ways to travel so it might take some time to get there.

Thanks

I would recommend you call and talk to them they have been very easy to work with.

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:42 am

How early is too early to declare you want an area of concentrated study (i.e. Biz X,IP)? Is it competitive to get spots, does it matter? I want a particular area for sure and not getting it after I matriculate would be a real downer. Should I make sure I have a spot before I go?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 am

Tier2Allstar wrote:How early is too early to declare you want an area of concentrated study (i.e. Biz X,IP)? Is it competitive to get spots, does it matter? I want a particular area for sure and not getting it after I matriculate would be a real downer. Should I make sure I have a spot before I go?

I don't think you can declare a concentration until after your first year. That being said, however, I don't think the concentrations are competitive. I am currently complete two - solo and small firm practice and general litigation practice and its really just about filing paperwork with the appropriate office and meeting with the advisor for the program to plan the detail since some course tracks must be planned carefully (for example, to complete the criminal litigaiton skills track, you must take criminal clinic. To take criminal clinic, you must have taked trial advocacy. To take trial advocacy, you must have taken evidence. Evidence is only offered in the fall semester. So to complete the criminal litigation track, you must take evidence in the fall semester of 2L. Other tracks have similarly nested prerequisites.)

TL/DR: Concentrations are not competitive so everyone gets into the ones they want.

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Alright, I might still ask at the ASD. Makes sense that you would need to complete 1L before doing so. When I was reading through I found a clip that said:

Students are encouraged to declare their intention to participate in the Litigation Skills
Program of Concentrated Study as early as possible, so they can plan their course of studies
appropriately.Students who have identified themselves as participants in the Litigation Skills
Program of Concentrated Study will be given priority over non-Program students in some of the
required or recommended courses. Those courses in which Litigation Skills Program of
Concentrated Study students will receive priority are indicated in the description of the Litigation
Skills Program of Concentrated Study

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Tier2Allstar wrote:Alright, I might still ask at the ASD. Makes sense that you would need to complete 1L before doing so. When I was reading through I found a clip that said:

Students are encouraged to declare their intention to participate in the Litigation Skills
Program of Concentrated Study as early as possible, so they can plan their course of studies
appropriately

This is because of the chains of required coursed like I identified in my last post.

Students who have identified themselves as participants in the Litigation Skills
Program of Concentrated Study will be given priority over non-Program students in some of the
required or recommended courses.
Those courses in which Litigation Skills Program of
Concentrated Study students will receive priority are indicated in the description of the Litigation
Skills Program of Concentrated Study

This mostly reflects lottery courses which are required by the program, such as the clinic. These problems are somewhat unique to the litigation skills program, though. All of the people I know in the business tracks have had no toruble getting into their courses. If you are interested in a specific concentration, I encourage you to make that know at ASW. they can usually out you in contact with the professor that oversees that concentration.

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Football-
Not that it matters when choosing a law school, but since UNL did send out information specifically pertaining to football tickets today... does the law school do anything on game days as a group i.e. tailgate or party?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Tier2Allstar wrote:Football-
Not that it matters when choosing a law school, but since UNL did send out information specifically pertaining to football tickets today... does the law school do anything on game days as a group i.e. tailgate or party?

No, they don't but many students get together in small groups. The law school is a long way from the stadium (which you will discover is a good thing since you can still come in and study on football Saturdays). Football is a hot topic at the school on Fridays and Mondays especially. One of the property profs used to give immunity from being called on for students who wore Husker red on the Fridays before game days.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Tier2Allstar wrote:Football-

As a current UG at Nebraska:

Don't go to the bars before the game. Go after. You'll want to head to the Indian Center in the North Bottoms (Referred to fondly as the Rez) It's the big tailgating area.

And if you go here, definitely get football tickets.

zniha

Postby zniha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

Withdrew good luck everyone!

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am

Presidentjlh wrote:And if you go here, definitely get football tickets.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:48 pm

feralinfant wrote:

During 1L, you won't have time for football. I'm not sure I watched a single game.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 pm

you guys going to the asd

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:48 am

DocHawkeye wrote:
feralinfant wrote:

During 1L, you won't have time for football. I'm not sure I watched a single game.

Kind of why I was asking if anyone from the law school did anything on a regular basis. 18 Credits in the fall with 8 home games seems untenable. Sounds life fun, I just don't see it happening regularly during 1L.

Cooldude- if you stop pissing off the rest off TLS and decide to go, lemme know I'll be there.

herbsinator

Postby herbsinator » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Hey guys, I am a third year student (doing a 4 year JD/MBA ). I'm doing KC Biglaw this summer. I'll take any questions (Nebraska specific or just in general).

Tier2Allstar

Postby Tier2Allstar » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Well I put down my first seat deposit. I'd say there is about a 99% chance I matriculate, unless I miraculously come off a WL with a reasonable scholarship (cus that happens).
So I started a thread on the TLS class of 2016 forum.

University of Nebraska College of Law Class of 2016
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=207601

Anyone going for sure or almost for sure PM me or jump on that thread.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”