PSA: Do not post your acceptance letter on Facebook

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TrialLawyer16

Re: PSA: Do not post your acceptance letter on Facebook

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:46 pm

You guys really have to grow up and gain some confidence in yourselves. How are you letting a Facebook picture or status bother you this much?

Focus on what is within your control.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:58 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:You guys really have to grow up and gain some confidence in yourselves. How are you letting a Facebook picture or status bother you this much?

Iono what you're talking about. 0L assholery doesn't keep me up at night, but that doesn't mean I can't call a spade a spade.

hung jury

Postby hung jury » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Nothing says confidence problems like failing to scan and post your lolschool acceptance letter on facebook.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:20 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:You people are serious about FB etiquette.

+1

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 am

IAFG wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:You guys really have to grow up and gain some confidence in yourselves. How are you letting a Facebook picture or status bother you this much?

Iono what you're talking about. 0L assholery doesn't keep me up at night, but that doesn't mean I can't call a spade a spade.

Well there are only two ways to look at this:

1) If you've been accepted to a top school and think you shouldn't post a picture of your acceptance letter just because you fear what others may think = low self-esteem --> too concerned with the imagined opinions of others.
2) If you have not been accepted to a top school and are offended that someone who has been has posted their acceptance letter on FB = jealousy/envy.

Either way, both of these problems are rooted in self-esteem issues. There's no reason for either one of them. I'm not saying this to belittle anyone, I just think that people should look in the mirror first to see why they find something like this offensive in the first place instead of trying to impose their beliefs on others - beliefs that are actually born of insecurity. Again I ask, what is the difference between posting a pic of a law school acceptance and posting a pic of your wedding ring when many of your friends are not married? Do they not share the same basic reason for the supposed douchery?

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 am

hung jury wrote:Nothing says confidence problems like failing to scan and post your lolschool acceptance letter on facebook.

It is if want to, but are not simply because you're scared of what people might think.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 am

TrialLawyer16 wrote:
hung jury wrote:Nothing says confidence problems like failing to scan and post your lolschool acceptance letter on facebook.

It is if want to, but are not simply because you're scared of what people might think.

You are a tough, rugged individualist, we get it.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 am

TrialLawyer16 wrote:

Dude, give it a rest. Your assumptions are off about why people do or don't post acceptance letters and why other people don't like it. It is not just fear of what people think or jealousy. You're right that none of this shit is worth worrying about, but your last two posts are nonsense.
Last edited by hume85 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:24 am

Tom Joad wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:

You are a tough, rugged individualist, we get it.

Why, Tommy. I'm flattered :oops:

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:12 am

TrialLawyer16 wrote:Well there are only two ways to look at this:

1) If you've been accepted to a top school and think you shouldn't post a picture of your acceptance letter just because you fear what others may think = low self-esteem --> too concerned with the imagined opinions of others.
2) If you have not been accepted to a top school and are offended that someone who has been has posted their acceptance letter on FB = jealousy/envy.

Either way, both of these problems are rooted in self-esteem issues. There's no reason for either one of them. I'm not saying this to belittle anyone, I just think that people should look in the mirror first to see why they find something like this offensive in the first place instead of trying to impose their beliefs on others - beliefs that are actually born of insecurity. Again I ask, what is the difference between posting a pic of a law school acceptance and posting a pic of your wedding ring when many of your friends are not married? Do they not share the same basic reason for the supposed douchery?

What if you've been accepted to a top school and posted a picture of your acceptance letter only because you fear that others may think that you not doing so would mean you fear what they may think? Or what if you went a little bit further with this and realized you shouldn't post that picture because posting it might mean that you went too meta and over-analyzed, thus signaling insecurity/neuroticism/low status? Or what if ... :lol:

False dichotomy is a false dichotomy.

honolulu_hopeful

Postby honolulu_hopeful » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 am

I love lamp

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:02 am

TrialLawyer16 wrote: Again I ask, what is the difference between posting a pic of a law school acceptance and posting a pic of your wedding ring when many of your friends are not married? Do they not share the same basic reason for the supposed douchery?

Presumably none of your friends were rejected by your fiance for marriage. And if so, hopefully they have gotten over it by now.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 am

So many people care so much more about facebook than I ever thought. :shock:

Leaborb192

Postby Leaborb192 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 am

rebexness wrote:I would rather see a law school acceptance than a positive pee stick on my newsfeed. blech.

This. I didn't get into law school, but I did get into graduate school so that's all I've been talking about. BUT I agree, it's better imo. OR ... constant pictures of sonograms...In my town: it's all 16-20 year old girls posting pictures of their sonograms/baby and "family" pictures; usually consisting of the mother, baby, and "baby daddy." YIKES! I also have one friend who constantly posts passive-aggressive status about how she's "over this guy"; "he doesn't deserve her"; and yada yada... but she STILL is thinking about him by posting those status. And then she'll end up back with him, then they'll break up, because he cheated on her and the cycle begins. OH, FB! :cry:

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Lock this already

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:31 pm

helix23 wrote:Lock this already

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:32 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:

Protip- If you want a thread to go away, you don't fucking bump it.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Haha. Cognitive dissonance at its finest here.

Let's keep it simple: is it classy to brag, yes or no?

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:15 pm

Stop for a second and just think about what you are arguing about.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

Protip- If you want a thread to go away, you don't fucking bump it.

It's risk calculation. Bumping is more likely to achieve my goals than ignoring it and hoping it goes away.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:21 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Well there are only two ways to look at this:

What is this psychobabble horse shit

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:28 pm

honolulu_hopeful wrote:I love lamp

This might be the most reasonable post ITT.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Suralin wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:Well there are only two ways to look at this:

What if you've been accepted to a top school and posted a picture of your acceptance letter only because you fear that others may think that you not doing so would mean you fear what they may think? Or what if you went a little bit further with this and realized you shouldn't post that picture because posting it might mean that you went too meta and over-analyzed, thus signaling insecurity/neuroticism/low status? Or what if ... :lol:

False dichotomy is a false dichotomy.
I think you're most likely just joking lol. But I'll entertain for S&G's. It's not a false dichotomy. This thread is about ppl who find posting an acceptance pic on FB douchey. The dichotomy is that either you've been accepted to a top law school or you haven't, and in both cases you find posting an acceptance letter pic on FB douchey. Also, both of your examples fall under category 1 = too concerned with the imagined opinions of others.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:20 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote: Again I ask, what is the difference between posting a pic of a law school acceptance and posting a pic of your wedding ring when many of your friends are not married? Do they not share the same basic reason for the supposed douchery?

Presumably none of your friends were rejected by your fiance for marriage. And if so, hopefully they have gotten over it by now.

Thanks atl for actually answering the question. But if you grew up in the area you're currently living in or have lived there for a while there is an extremely strong chance that, whether you know about it or not, some of your Facebook friends have dated your fiancé in the past. Someone in that relationship was dumped and therefore also rejected for marriage at the same time.

The bolded part of your post is my entire point, though. I'm glad you wrote that. Whether we're talking about wedding rings or acceptance letters, people just need to get over it. I understand why someone would feel a certain away in both situations, but in the case of posting a wedding ring pic I believe we all can agree that it's childish for a spurned lover to find that douchey. It should be no different in the case of acceptance letters. Sometimes things don't work out your way and you simply have to move on and try to be happy for those it did work out for. You learn this when you're 10 years old and lose a soccer or basketball game.
Last edited by TrialLawyer16 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Haha. Cognitive dissonance at its finest here.

Let's keep it simple: is it classy to brag, yes or no?

You know what, you're right. Your incisive wit and high-minded commentary have made me realize I should never have shared my huge life moment with friends and family. Based on your scintillating commentary and obvious credibility on the subject of classy behavior--bolstered by your use of an alias while posting in an anonymous and obscure medium--I've decided to lay aside my own impulses, discard my own judgment, and align my habits with your learned opinions.

Said no one. Ever.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”