PSA: Do not post your acceptance letter on Facebook Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nickb285

Silver

Re: PSA: Do not post your acceptance letter on Facebook

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 pm

helix23 wrote:I don't need a pic on Facebook showing me how beautiful Maui is. Don't try to argue that it is educative and therefore not veiled douchery.

What about meeting a celebrity and posting a pic with them? You could just make a status saying "Met Bill Murray!" I know what Bill Murray looks like and I know what you look like, you don't need to illustrate your point with a pic.

But people use pictures instead of words that would be equally representative all the time. People respond to imagery. Especially on a Facebook newsfeed.
A picture of a place, or a picture of Bill Murray, is different than a picture of text that you could have just typed yourself if you weren't such a douche.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 pm

After reading this thread I'm kind of glad that I've stayed away from FB altogether...

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 pm

nickb285 wrote:
helix23 wrote:I don't need a pic on Facebook showing me how beautiful Maui is. Don't try to argue that it is educative and therefore not veiled douchery.

What about meeting a celebrity and posting a pic with them? You could just make a status saying "Met Bill Murray!" I know what Bill Murray looks like and I know what you look like, you don't need to illustrate your point with a pic.

But people use pictures instead of words that would be equally representative all the time. People respond to imagery. Especially on a Facebook newsfeed.
A picture of a place, or a picture of Bill Murray, is different than a picture of text that you could have just typed yourself if you weren't such a douche.
Oh shit! a picture of a place is different than a picture of a letter?!

I wish I could take a picture of my mind being blown to illustrate my point.

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 pm

nickb285 wrote:

yea but how is an one-liner gonna compete with all those pix of dogs, desserts, and Kappas in St. Croix on someone's newsfeed? gotta carve out real estate with a nice gif of your own

p.s. @hume85, PMed you my answer
Last edited by pacifica on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:It is way douchey. Most people will eventually grow up and stop humble-bragging/ outright bragging on facebook. It literally only hurts you.

Your family and friends don't "share in the moment" when you post your A+ in torts or your acceptance to GULC; assuming they aren't also douches, they are happy for you but also concerned and embarrassed for you. It is obnoxious to post stuff like that online. Doing so outs you immediately as not having social skills and/or self-confidence. It is not surprising in the least that many TLS posters have committed this douchey error, but thats TLS for you.

Very few of you will be doing this stuff when you are 40. Stop now- you'll have way more friends.
Yeah, things will be so much simpler once this whole internet fad blows over.

BTW, if you're going to post in this tone of voice, mebbe change your handle to "Lord Dwight K. Schrute."
There is no way to post what I did and not get any backlash. It was polarizing. And of course you disagree with me. Your self esteem is tied up into your world-view, as is mine. It would be very difficult for you to change your view. Lucky for me, I've been humbled enough to have learned my lesson. You obviously have not.

Lucky for you, you got into Harvard with 164 of your LSAT. By the way, how the fuck did you do that? Congratulations.
I was really just sparring with you to spar, which I do often. I actually find some validity in what you're saying ... we just draw the line in different places. Facebook is applied differently by individuals and families. I've been essentially rootless for years now, so it's a means of staying connected with friends and family I've had to leave behind. It's how I share big news. I'm actually old enough to have learned a few of the lessons you're talking about, and they are indeed broadly applicable. Just not sure why you choose to be a slasher rather than a fencer.

As for HLS, I sent them a seat deposit before they could change their minds. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:54 pm

helix23 wrote:I wish I could take a picture of my mind being blown to illustrate my point.

HTH.

When you get a job, do you post pictures of your new employee handbook?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:56 pm

nickb285 wrote:
helix23 wrote:I wish I could take a picture of my mind being blown to illustrate my point.

HTH.

When you get a job, do you post pictures of your new employee handbook?
haha I actually saw this movie a few months ago.

Of course I post scans of the handbook. I need my FB friends to make sure I comply with all company policies.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 pm

LOL how is sharing a short status update for your friends and family, especially if they've been supporting you through months of prepping/applying/stressing/studying to get into your dream school, more insecure or douche-tastic than intentionally not doing so solely to look more "cool" and to pretend that you don't give a shit when you obviously do? Otherwise, what the fuck are you doing on TLS?

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:37 pm

nickb285 wrote:A picture of a place, or a picture of Bill Murray, is different than a picture of text that you could have just typed yourself if you weren't such a douche.
Picture of Bill Murray is necessary because otherwise, no one will ever believe you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Suralin wrote:LOL how is sharing a short status update for your friends and family, especially if they've been supporting you through months of prepping/applying/stressing/studying to get into your dream school, more insecure or douche-tastic than intentionally not doing so solely to look more "cool" and to pretend that you don't give a shit when you obviously do? Otherwise, what the fuck are you doing on TLS?
I don't think most people are saying that you shouldn't post a short status update about "In at school X!," they're saying you shouldn't take a picture of the acceptance letter and post that instead of/in addition to just writing a status update like a normal, non-douchey person.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Sometimes I am tempted to post ironically douchey statuses to be ironic, but then I realize only a handful of people would get it and the rest would just think I am a douche.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:11 pm

nickb285 wrote:
Suralin wrote:LOL how is sharing a short status update for your friends and family, especially if they've been supporting you through months of prepping/applying/stressing/studying to get into your dream school, more insecure or douche-tastic than intentionally not doing so solely to look more "cool" and to pretend that you don't give a shit when you obviously do? Otherwise, what the fuck are you doing on TLS?
I don't think most people are saying that you shouldn't post a short status update about "In at school X!," they're saying you shouldn't take a picture of the acceptance letter and post that instead of/in addition to just writing a status update like a normal, non-douchey person.
That seems like an entirely unnecessary and silly distinction.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Anything more than, "I'm going to University of NoJerbs!" is too much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:19 pm

I just leak the news to my best friend and she handles the PR from there. Really helps to have solid female friends if you're a socially awkward guy. I never have to post anything on the facesbook or the twitters.

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:19 pm

With the types of annoying, pointless shit that show up on my newsfeed, posting an acceptance letter is one of the least douchey things I've seen. Most of the deadbeats I went to high school with haven't done anything with their lives since, so I'm actually happy to see people posting about their accomplishments.
Last edited by Paraflam on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:22 pm

nickb285 wrote:
Ah I see, carry on then :wink:

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:33 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
That seems like an entirely unnecessary and silly distinction.
It's an unnecessary and silly manner of making the announcement. It's like telling people about your new job by posting a picture of your first paycheck. Or telling people you're having a baby by posting a picture of the positive pee stick. Or telling people you're going on a trip by posting a picture of the receipt for your airline tickets. It's just obnoxious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:36 pm

You people are serious about FB etiquette.

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Paraflam wrote:With the types of annoying, pointless shit that show up on my newsfeed, posting an acceptance letter is one of the least douchey things I've seen. Most of the deadbeats I went to high school with haven't done anything with their lives since, so I'm actually happy to see people posting about their accomplishments.
+180.433

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Paraflam wrote:With the types of annoying, pointless shit that show up on my newsfeed, posting an acceptance letter is one of the least douchey things I've seen. Most of the deadbeats I went to high school with haven't done anything with their lives since, so I'm actually happy to see people posting about their accomplishments.
Kind of seems douchey to write off a bunch of people as deadbeats.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I don't think a short status update would be terrible. Biggest douche law school-related facebook move I've seen was the people on law review doing shit-tier humblebrags like "Gotta move back into the dorms a few weeks early this summer for law review." I mean seriously, spend more than two seconds and come up with something slightly more clever.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I would rather see a law school acceptance than a positive pee stick on my newsfeed. blech.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:46 pm

this topic is HAWT

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Kind of seems douchey to write off a bunch of people as deadbeats.

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:00 pm

helix23 wrote:this topic is HAWT
oh, i really loved reading this thread :D , but i'll say something serious for once.

are any of you kids actually friends with each on fb? if not, who gives a f*ck? post whatever you think your friends will like/dislike. for instance, i've seen friends post 5 digit bar tabs to humble-brag about being baller; if i liked the dude from before, i'd just think he's living the life; if i thought the dude was a douche, i'd just use that pic as validation. why gibe at other TLSers who may have different friend circles and values from your own? personally, all my friends from college are pre-meds, so if i'm gonna read/see matching day or white coat ceremony pix on my newfeed, i don't see why they can't see my admit binder. (I'm just too lazy to actually go through with posting on fb, so that's why I'm not doing it, but i don't see why i can't or shouldn't...)

now if any of you post an acceptance letter gif on a TLS forum, that's a different story... :!: i'll buy you a beer if you're within a 10 mile vicinity of me if i see something like that in one of the c/o 2016 threads

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”