PSA: Do not post your acceptance letter on Facebook Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kingsfield69

Bronze

Re: PSA: Do not post your acceptance letter on Facebook

Post by kingsfield69 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:43 pm

helix23 wrote:Facebook is predominately a self-centered medium. Not sure how posting an acceptance letter is douchier than posting your vacation pics from Maui.
Helix, you never disappoint.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:44 pm

helix23 wrote:Facebook is predominately a self-centered medium. Not sure how posting an acceptance letter is douchier than posting your vacation pics from Maui.
Because it's more like posting your epic $4k bar tab from Maui.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:46 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
Check out the Beatles are a flame thread. But he makes a good point here.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Because it's more like posting your epic $4k bar tab from Maui.
No, that would be adding to your post how many presidents or supreme court justices went to your school.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:48 pm

hume85 wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:
B
Check out the Beatles are a flame thread. But he makes a good point here.
My logic is flawless in that thread too

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:49 pm

hume85 wrote:
Borg wrote:The douchiest person I know posted her HBS acceptance with a shitload of exclamation points and changed her photo to a picture of herself in a Harvard t-shirt. For the next week she kept posting articles about Harvard, jokes at the expense of Columbia, Wharton, and Chicago (which hadn't gotten back to her yet), and a shitload more pictures of herself in the Harvard t-shirt with captions like "how does the Harvard t-shirt look post-workout? Great still, obviously it's Harvard!"

It abruptly ended when one of our classmates made a post on her wall that said "umm maybe you should tone it down..." Hilarious.
She clearly has self-esteem issues, and probably hates herself too, so you can ignore her, because she no matter who high she climbs she will always still lose.
Yeah, I mean there are plenty of people with those issues around and they occasionally manifest in very dangerous ways because people are smart and insecure/crazy, so they have the means to inflict damage and are also totally unbalanced. I always think she's sort of a time bomb. Interestingly, I've found that this kind of behavior is a little more prevalent in the b school, which has made me come to appreciate the law school as a more down to earth place (despite our share of gunner psychos etc.). I also was surprised to find that the JD/MBA community is extremely down to earth, despite our reputation as d-bags.

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 pm

I don't care. I posted a pic of my acceptance letter and got over 300 likes on that shit. I consider the 300+ likes a bigger accomplishment than any acceptance.

Deal with it.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 pm

pacifica wrote:lol. but what if it's Angelina/HYS?
Then one picture is acceptable, but only when you know it's a sure thing (i.e. you and Angie are official/you've matriculated at Harvard).
Facebook is predominately a self-centered medium. Not sure how posting an acceptance letter is douchier than posting your vacation pics from Maui.
Because pictures from Maui show something that a status update can't. You typing "Maui is beautiful!" doesn't show Maui being beautiful, so posting a picture to illustrate the point is fair, not to mention that some people like looking at pictures of beautiful or interesting place. You typing "Got accepted to School X!" shows exactly the same thing that posting a picture of your acceptance letter does. Nothing is added by posting a picture of your acceptance letter, and nobody likes looking at pictures of acceptance letters except the douchey recipient of said letter. It's pointless and lame.

foosbol21

Bronze

Post by foosbol21 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 pm

One of my close friends posted a congratulations message to fb after I texted him to tell him about the acceptance, then he sent me a text saying 'you're welcome' for posting it to facebook.

Umm, what?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:00 pm

foosbol21 wrote:One of my close friends posted a congratulations message to fb after I texted him to tell him about the acceptance, then he sent me a text saying 'you're welcome' for posting it to facebook.

Umm, what?
That's a good friend.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 pm

foosbol21 wrote:One of my close friends posted a congratulations message to fb after I texted him to tell him about the acceptance, then he sent me a text saying 'you're welcome' for posting it to facebook.

Umm, what?

Yeah yeah a thief thinks everyone steals. Those things can be just as contrived as posting it yourself. As has been said, you are not only way cooler for getting X giant accomplishment and not telling anyone about it, you also avoid classless and unnecessary bragging. There is only backlash to this concept because we are on TLS..

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Borg wrote:
hume85 wrote:
Borg wrote:The douchiest person I know posted her HBS acceptance with a shitload of exclamation points and changed her photo to a picture of herself in a Harvard t-shirt. For the next week she kept posting articles about Harvard, jokes at the expense of Columbia, Wharton, and Chicago (which hadn't gotten back to her yet), and a shitload more pictures of herself in the Harvard t-shirt with captions like "how does the Harvard t-shirt look post-workout? Great still, obviously it's Harvard!"

It abruptly ended when one of our classmates made a post on her wall that said "umm maybe you should tone it down..." Hilarious.
She clearly has self-esteem issues, and probably hates herself too, so you can ignore her, because she no matter who high she climbs she will always still lose.
Yeah, I mean there are plenty of people with those issues around and they occasionally manifest in very dangerous ways because people are smart and insecure/crazy, so they have the means to inflict damage and are also totally unbalanced. I always think she's sort of a time bomb. Interestingly, I've found that this kind of behavior is a little more prevalent in the b school, which has made me come to appreciate the law school as a more down to earth place (despite our share of gunner psychos etc.). I also was surprised to find that the JD/MBA community is extremely down to earth, despite our reputation as d-bags.
I think there's always subsets within every community that are like that. For instance, science grad school is reputation-wise the nerdiest -- and by flawless logical extension the meekest -- place in the world, but a subset of people I know still love dropping the H bomb. Interestingly enough, they're usually the weaker students. I think it's more the insecurity, although I have noticed people who had a chip on their shoulder (i.e. didn't get accepted to their dream undergrad) pull that kind of stuff more at the grad level.

Anyways, sorry to be off-topic. What I meant to say was: Imma make a 14-photo fb album of acceptance letters come February :mrgreen:
Last edited by pacifica on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Post a status joking about how you can't believe some law school accepted you, then wait to say which school until someone inevitably asks. You get glory and hide your self-esteem issues simultaneously.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Post a status joking about how you can't believe some law school accepted you, then wait to say which school until someone inevitably asks. You get glory and hide your self-esteem issues simultaneously.
I've seen many variations of this. The really pussy ones just start out with some awkward statement about how "busy" next semester/year is going to be.

foosbol21

Bronze

Post by foosbol21 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm

hume85 wrote:

Umm, what?
That's a good friend.
:lol: Is this really considered a favor? I don't even really use fb. I have like 2 status updates in the last 6 months. I wasn't even planning on posting anything about this myself. Are we all just assumed to want to brag about it now?

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Post a status joking about how you can't believe some law school accepted you, then wait to say which school until someone inevitably asks. You get glory and hide your self-esteem issues simultaneously.
I've seen many variations of this. The really pussy ones just start out with some awkward statement about how "busy" next semester/year is going to be.
lol this thread cracks me up. i'm not sure "pussy" is the right word here; more like passive aggressive? Do these guys also say how expensive the apartments are in palo alto?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 pm

nickb285 wrote:
Because pictures from Maui show something that a status update can't. You typing "Maui is beautiful!" doesn't show Maui being beautiful, so posting a picture to illustrate the point is fair, not to mention that some people like looking at pictures of beautiful or interesting place. You typing "Got accepted to School X!" shows exactly the same thing that posting a picture of your acceptance letter does. Nothing is added by posting a picture of your acceptance letter, and nobody likes looking at pictures of acceptance letters except the douchey recipient of said letter. It's pointless and lame.
I don't need a pic on Facebook showing me how beautiful Maui is. Don't try to argue that it is educative and therefore not veiled douchery.

What about meeting a celebrity and posting a pic with them? You could just make a status saying "Met Bill Murray!" I know what Bill Murray looks like and I know what you look like, you don't need to illustrate your point with a pic.

But people use pictures instead of words that would be equally representative all the time. People respond to imagery. Especially on a Facebook newsfeed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:23 pm

When people post statuses like "got a new job" or "accepted to law school", they are basically fishing for people to ask them "what job?" or "what law school".

Don't be cryptic. If you are going to brag, just brag.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 pm

pacifica wrote:
lol this thread cracks me up. i'm not sure "pussy" is the right word here; more like passive aggressive? Do these guys also say how expensive the apartments are in palo alto?
:lol: This is a weird question, so don't feel compelled to answer: why are you leaving science? Being a scientist is my dream job, but I am a dumb.

foosbol21

Bronze

Post by foosbol21 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:26 pm

This is an interesting hybrid of humblebrag updates and updates by girls looking for sympathy by just posting something like 'guhhh so mad!!!' and waiting for someone to take the bait and ask what's wrong.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Half the time people post their acceptances on FB, at least in my experience, the acceptances are to TTTs anyway, so the only people who are remotely impressed are people who don't go to law school. Even when they're not TTT acceptances, the person posting the letter is the type of person who needs external validation or else they feel incompetent. Regardless, I always like their post, and count it as 3 seconds of pro bono.

If you don't like a person's status updates, it's pretty easy to unfollow their feed. I made a point to unfollow every gunner in my class and my self-esteem improved substantially :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:26 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:It is way douchey. Most people will eventually grow up and stop humble-bragging/ outright bragging on facebook. It literally only hurts you.

Your family and friends don't "share in the moment" when you post your A+ in torts or your acceptance to GULC; assuming they aren't also douches, they are happy for you but also concerned and embarrassed for you. It is obnoxious to post stuff like that online. Doing so outs you immediately as not having social skills and/or self-confidence. It is not surprising in the least that many TLS posters have committed this douchey error, but thats TLS for you.

Very few of you will be doing this stuff when you are 40. Stop now- you'll have way more friends.
Yeah, things will be so much simpler once this whole internet fad blows over.

BTW, if you're going to post in this tone of voice, mebbe change your handle to "Lord Dwight K. Schrute."
There is no way to post what I did and not get any backlash. It was polarizing. And of course you disagree with me. Your self esteem is tied up into your world-view, as is mine. It would be very difficult for you to change your view. Lucky for me, I've been humbled enough to have learned my lesson. You obviously have not.

Lucky for you, you got into Harvard with 164 of your LSAT. By the way, how the fuck did you do that? Congratulations.

foosbol21

Bronze

Post by foosbol21 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:29 pm

nsideirish wrote:When people post statuses like "got a new job" or "accepted to law school", they are basically fishing for people to ask them "what job?" or "what law school".

Don't be cryptic. If you are going to brag, just brag.
This can also be used to hide the bad things. Saw a friend do this once for a law school acceptance, so I checked the comment thread for the inevitable question and response. Lots of questions but no response, saw the name of a fourth-tier school show up on the profile a few months later.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:31 pm

foosbol21 wrote:
This is an interesting hybrid of humblebrag updates and updates by girls looking for sympathy by just posting something like 'guhhh so mad!!!' and waiting for someone to take the bait and ask what's wrong.
Haha always the skanks too.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 pm

pacifica wrote:
Sorry. Sometime I also use the word gay in a seemingly derogatory way. I've listened to arguments on both sides, and can't figure out if it is right or wrong to do so. For the record, I have no negative feelings whatsoever about pussy or gays.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”