PSA: Do not post your acceptance letter on Facebook Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: PSA: Do not post your acceptance letter on Facebook

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:09 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Haha. Cognitive dissonance at its finest here.

Let's keep it simple: is it classy to brag, yes or no?
You know what, you're right. Your incisive wit and high-minded commentary have made me realize I should never have shared my huge life moment with friends and family. Based on your scintillating commentary and obvious credibility on the subject of classy behavior--bolstered by your use of an alias while posting in an anonymous and obscure medium--I've decided to lay aside my own impulses, discard my own judgment, and align my habits with your learned opinions.

Said no one. Ever.
This is the exact same reasoning people use for posting grades/biglaw offers/law review status on facebook. It's not any more compelling in this context. If you want to celebrate good news, be more discriminating than "your entire Facebook audience."

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:12 pm

This whole thread is dumb. Who cares what other ppl think, it's your Facebook. You can post whatever you want.

I do it all the time. Some of the crap I post, 99% of my friends could give a shit less. Like when I posted on my birthday my In and Out ticket that showed me as customer #2. (damn fresh grease is awesome).

*edit* Grumpy Cat meme >>> HYS acceptance letter >>>>>>>>>> rest of T-14 acceptance letter Facebook pic post

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Who cares what other ppl think, it's your Facebook. You can post whatever you want.
ITT people don't understand social norms.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:Who cares what other ppl think, it's your Facebook. You can post whatever you want.
luckily, people's failure to heed social norms leads to all the best law school gossip.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:35 pm

IAFG wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:

You know what, you're right. Your incisive wit and high-minded commentary have made me realize I should never have shared my huge life moment with friends and family. Based on your scintillating commentary and obvious credibility on the subject of classy behavior--bolstered by your use of an alias while posting in an anonymous and obscure medium--I've decided to lay aside my own impulses, discard my own judgment, and align my habits with your learned opinions.

Said no one. Ever.
This is the exact same reasoning people use for posting grades/biglaw offers/law review status on facebook. It's not any more compelling in this context. If you want to celebrate good news, be more discriminating than "your entire Facebook audience."
Your assertion depends on a number of assumptions for its validity, most prominently the assumption that everyone you've come here to tutor on the fine points of facebook etiquette has built his/her "audience" in the same manner you have. The only people in my "audience" are those who'd be genuinely excited to see a snapshot of the acceptance letter from the law school that was #1 on my list and a huge reach. And they were. And the many in that audience who helped me reach the objective were especially grateful to share the moment as if they'd been here to see the letter for themselves. If in the future I decide to add "friends" less discriminately, I'll of course have to consider how my posts might be received by that new "group." At that time, I'll no-doubt return to this thread and review your learned advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:38 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:

Said no one. Ever.
Your assertion depends on a number of assumptions for its validity, most prominently the assumption that everyone you've come here to tutor on the fine points of facebook etiquette has built his/her "audience" in the same manner you have. The only people in my "audience" are those who'd be genuinely excited to see a snapshot of the acceptance letter from the law school that was #1 on my list and a huge reach. And they were. And the many in that audience who helped me reach the objective were especially grateful to share the moment as if they'd been here to see the letter for themselves. If in the future I decide to add "friends" less discriminately, I'll of course have to consider how my posts might be received by that new "group." At that time, I'll no-doubt return to this thread and review your learned advice.
You're about to bring so much cathartic delight to so many fellow 1Ls

truly God's gift

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:40 pm

kingsfield69 wrote: Your assertion depends on a number of assumptions for its validity, most prominently the assumption that...
There's no discussing social norms with a person who starts a poast like this.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm

IAFG wrote: You're about to bring so much cathartic delight to so many fellow 1Ls

truly God's gift
Man, you are addicted to assumptions. You don't know a thing about me. But fear not. Despite my sarcasm, I'm a big boy, Mom, and I get the concept of adaptation. If I decide to add classmates to facebook, of course I won't be dumbass enough to alienate them by posting douchey things like grades, law review, etc. Just thought it would be good to reiterate every few pages that the concept you're championing is not difficult, and I think everyone gets it aside from the unreachable zealot clown posse/psycho gunner douchebags who will always comprise 1-3% of any population.

Please don't stop this thread though. It's like watching a bunch of cats chase a laser pointer.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote: Your assertion depends on a number of assumptions for its validity, most prominently the assumption that...
There's no stopping the bong hits for someone who spells poast like this.

EDIT: there's no discussing social norms with someone who has averaged 18+ posts/day on TLS since February.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Who the fuck doesn't understand that bragging is rude. I assume dumb aspie cunts.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:58 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
IAFG wrote: You're about to bring so much cathartic delight to so many fellow 1Ls

truly God's gift
Man, you are addicted to assumptions. You don't know a thing about me. But fear not. Despite my sarcasm, I'm a big boy, Mom, and I get the concept of adaptation. If I decide to add classmates to facebook, of course I won't be dumbass enough to alienate them by posting douchey things like grades, law review, etc. Just thought it would be good to reiterate every few pages that the concept you're championing is not difficult, and I think everyone gets it aside from the unreachable zealot clown posse/psycho gunner douchebags who will always comprise 1-3% of any population.

Please don't stop this thread though. It's like watching a bunch of cats chase a laser pointer.
Even if you don't post your grades (and I believe you that you won't) there's more to not being a tool than that. Unless your only facebook friends are your parents and your grandma, there is no way their reaction was as you describe. Your further belief that your points are more compelling when formulated on verbal stilts only bolster my belief that any section with you in it is better off for it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Who the fuck doesn't understand that bragging is rude. I assume dumb aspie cunts.
Why are you not on gchat ever, I want to gossip about something

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:02 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
There's no stopping the bong hits for someone who spells poast like this.

EDIT: there's no discussing social norms with someone who has averaged 18+ posts/day on TLS since February.
kingsfield69 wrote:Your assertion depends on a number of assumptions for its validity

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Irony.

FWIW I agree posting an acceptance letter is stupid because of what it signals, but that's not the same as understanding social norms (I don't even know what that's supposed to mean?).

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Suralin wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Irony.

FWIW I agree posting an acceptance letter is stupid because of what it signals, but that's not the same as understanding social norms (I don't even know what that's supposed to mean?).
You're thinking too hard.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Suralin wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Irony.

Dare I say, not hard enough.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Suralin wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Irony.

Well, we are all on TLS after all... :lol:

But I just meant that both bragging and following social norms for their own sake seem to demonstrate/involve insecurity, so I don't see where understanding norms comes in?

How is going along with social norms to not look bad to your Facebook friends any better than "bragging" because you're happy that your 300+ hours of studying and following the TLS CR paid off?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Suralin wrote:
How is going along with social norms to not look bad to your Facebook friends any better than "bragging" because you're happy that your 300+ hours of studying and following the TLS CR paid off?
r u srs

if you can't just organically not be a tool, it's clearly better to let your concerns about what others think lead you away from public bragging

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Suralin wrote:
rad lulz wrote:ITT people don't understand social norms.
Irony.

Dare I say, not hard enough.
Lol, there are multiple ways to understand the phrase "understand social norms" and I was pointing out that not understanding that violates the social norm(s) for some groups, hence irony.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:21 pm

You guys all suck.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 pm

IAFG wrote:
Suralin wrote:
r u srs

if you can't just organically not be a tool, it's clearly better to let your concerns about what others think lead you away from public bragging
A tool? From my experience, most tools care way too much about what others think and try way too hard, thus my question.

FWIW, I have no dog in this fight; it's just a boring Saturday and I have nothing better to do than debate social norms on TLS. :lol:

I don't know why people are getting so worked up though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Suralin wrote:
you must be new here

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:41 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Suralin wrote:
you must be new here
Somewhat, although not so new to the internet that I haven't seen people take "sides" like this over and over, particularly when it doesn't even matter.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:07 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:

Said no one. Ever.
Your assertion depends on a number of assumptions for its validity, most prominently the assumption that everyone you've come here to tutor on the fine points of facebook etiquette has built his/her "audience" in the same manner you have.
You're a shitty writer.
Last edited by hume85 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:15 pm

hume85 wrote:
kingsfield69 wrote:

Said no one. Ever.
You're a shitty writer.
Harvard disagrees

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”