U of Pacific McGeorge C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rgfuller12

Re: U of Pacific McGeorge C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby rgfuller12 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 pm

helterskelter wrote:
rgfuller12 wrote:Does anyone know the difference between Legal Scholars Day and Admitted Students Day?

Legal Scholars is only for scholarship recipients.

Thanks. Has anyone received info about either one? If so how long after your acceptance did you get the info in the mail?
I was admitted 1/11, packet on 1/18 (with $27k per year), and a random letter stating almost nothing from the dean on 1/31. It says on my status checker that they sent me an invite to admit day on the 28th but haven't received anything yet.

helterskelter

Postby helterskelter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:14 pm

rgfuller12 wrote:
helterskelter wrote:
rgfuller12 wrote:Does anyone know the difference between Legal Scholars Day and Admitted Students Day?

Legal Scholars is only for scholarship recipients.

Thanks. Has anyone received info about either one? If so how long after your acceptance did you get the info in the mail?
I was admitted 1/11, packet on 1/18 (with $27k per year), and a random letter stating almost nothing from the dean on 1/31. It says on my status checker that they sent me an invite to admit day on the 28th but haven't received anything yet.

I got my admission packet last Saturday, a postcard for Legal Scholars Day yesterday, and an email today that said, "hopefully by now you've recieved information on Legal Scholars Day...." That email also contained the dates for the other admitted student events. I'd estimate that my postcard was mailed on the 29th based on how long it takes for mail to get to me from Sacramento, but my status checker doesn't say anything about it.

Have you checked Inside Pacific? I haven't set my account up yet, but that seems like a place where they'd post a lot of the pertinent info.

acmass

Postby acmass » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 pm

MsAvocadoPit wrote:The packet only took a few days, you'll get it soon!

I was only offered 8k - disappointing... I thought I'd get more.

2L at McG here...don't be too bummed. McGeorge is really good about negotiating scholarships. Also, if you're planning on doing public interest law or going into public service, let them know when you negotiate - they have a public service scholarship that has NO stipulations (other than being in good standing).

acmass

Postby acmass » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:20 pm

The-Specs wrote:
apinarba wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Just got the admissions packet.

Honors at Entrance and Kennedy Fellow offer. That's some serious $$.

nice! when did your status change to decision rendered? also.. does that mean you're getting a stipend?

It didn't say anything about a stipend. Priority housing but I think that just means I get to choose first. Decision was rendered 01/27. Top 1/3 stipulation.

Unless they changed it since I started at McG, the Kennedy Scholarship isn't a stipend...it covers the full cost of tuition (and a trip to the Salzburg program) and, of course, is subject to the same 1/3 stipulation that they attach to the majority of their scholarships.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:56 pm

acmass wrote:

2L at McG here...don't be too bummed. McGeorge is really good about negotiating scholarships. Also, if you're planning on doing public interest law or going into public service, let them know when you negotiate - they have a public service scholarship that has NO stipulations (other than being in good standing).

Two things. They told me that they have a new policy this year that they do NOT negotiate scholarships and that the public interest scholarships are much lower this year.

helterskelter

Postby helterskelter » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:24 am

They also seem to have a new attitude this year. Everything I've heard from past students is that McGeorge acted like they genuinely wanted them to attend (and was usually the only school to which they applied with this level of a welcoming attitude). When I talked to admissions about scholarship money, the response was a bit like, ok, well good luck elsewhere. I actually didn't think they would give me anything more, but I thought they would at least spin it to say that they're sorry but they do want me to attend, look forward to showing me the great experience first hand at ASD, etc. Anything friendly and not just "see ya." Since it seems like every other school knows application levels are in the toilet and they need to play ball to fill classes, I feel like that type of response- if it is the widespread strategy- is going to backfire.

acmass

Postby acmass » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 am

JDndMSW wrote:
acmass wrote:

Two things. They told me that they have a new policy this year that they do NOT negotiate scholarships and that the public interest scholarships are much lower this year.

Hmmm. Interesting. Well, it wouldn't hurt to try. I was told that they didn't negotiate either, so I emailed the Dean of Admissions anyway and then talked to him on the phone for like 5 minutes and it was done.

I have the public interest scholarship. Since I get to keep my scholarship every year, I actually have more scholarship money than most of the people who can't meet the stips. Just something to think about.

whsy

Postby whsy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 am

What is going on with UoP?? Submitted 12/7 and still in review...

Username123

Postby Username123 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm

whsy wrote:What is going on with UoP?? Submitted 12/7 and still in review...

Same for me. I thought something was wrong with my application so I sent them an email three days ago. They finally got back to me saying that they have over 450 applications to review every week (yeah right) and that I should be expecting a decision in the next 2-3 weeks.

McGeorge is like the average girl you tried to get with in college, but couldn't, even though you got with hotter girls and all of her much better looking friends.

apinarba

Postby apinarba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:

Same for me. I thought something was wrong with my application so I sent them an email three days ago. They finally got back to me saying that they have over 450 applications to review every week (yeah right) and that I should be expecting a decision in the next 2-3 weeks.

McGeorge is like the average girl you tried to get with in college, but couldn't, even though you got with hotter girls and all of her much better looking friends.

i can't get over how hilarious that is

Username123

Postby Username123 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm

apinarba wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:

i can't get over how hilarious that is

Wow. Very ironic.

Just checked my online status checker and I have been admitted! Awesome. Do they send an email or do I have to wait for snail mail for scholarship information? I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL so I probably wouldn't receive the packet until August or so....

montanamoose

Postby montanamoose » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:03 pm

helterskelter wrote:They also seem to have a new attitude this year. Everything I've heard from past students is that McGeorge acted like they genuinely wanted them to attend (and was usually the only school to which they applied with this level of a welcoming attitude). When I talked to admissions about scholarship money, the response was a bit like, ok, well good luck elsewhere. I actually didn't think they would give me anything more, but I thought they would at least spin it to say that they're sorry but they do want me to attend, look forward to showing me the great experience first hand at ASD, etc. Anything friendly and not just "see ya." Since it seems like every other school knows application levels are in the toilet and they need to play ball to fill classes, I feel like that type of response- if it is the widespread strategy- is going to backfire.

I hope this is not the case, I had success negotiating last year. The Dean was very responsive and seemed to genuinely care.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:43 am

Scholarship letter came by snail mail a few days after acceptance...

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 am

montanamoose wrote:
helterskelter wrote:They also seem to have a new attitude this year. Everything I've heard from past students is that McGeorge acted like they genuinely wanted them to attend (and was usually the only school to which they applied with this level of a welcoming attitude). When I talked to admissions about scholarship money, the response was a bit like, ok, well good luck elsewhere. I actually didn't think they would give me anything more, but I thought they would at least spin it to say that they're sorry but they do want me to attend, look forward to showing me the great experience first hand at ASD, etc. Anything friendly and not just "see ya." Since it seems like every other school knows application levels are in the toilet and they need to play ball to fill classes, I feel like that type of response- if it is the widespread strategy- is going to backfire.

I hope this is not the case, I had success negotiating last year. The Dean was very responsive and seemed to genuinely care.

I had success last year but none this year.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:06 am

still waiting on them to respond

only this school and Santa Clara are the schools im waiting to hear back from

whsy

Postby whsy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:34 pm

accepted yesterday!

yupyup

Postby yupyup » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Made my first withdrawal. They didn't offer me anything but loans. Hope it opens up a spot for someone who wants to go here.

helterskelter

Postby helterskelter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:40 pm

I wish McGeorge would save the postage and stop sending letters from every person and organization who wants us to attend. Or at least use an indicia and not the overpriced Pitney Bowes meter. I don't know why I get worked up over their postage, but I do. At least they weren't one of the schools to send unsolicited packets with $6-10 worth of postage. I'm convinced law school could be much cheaper if the mailings and glossy brochures went away.

Sorry for ranting, but three letters in a week is too much. I'm looking forward to the start of phone calls...at least those might give me information I can use.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:44 pm

I withdrew today with a full scholarship. Hope it goes to someone who wants to attend!

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:13 am

Thanks--just got the Kennedy, and excited to take advantage of the opportunity.

helterskelter

Postby helterskelter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Anyone know how many Kennedys they give out? Went to a small Hastings reception, and there were at least four people who had also gotten the Kennedy at McGeorge. I was a little surprised.

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Thoughts: they have a new admissions Dean (Tracy Simmons) from Chapman. Chapman gives a lot of full rides as far as I can tell.

Last year, 6 students enrolled with with the Kennedy: http://www.mcgeorge.edu/News/Pacific_Mc ... udents.htm

I'm from the Central Valley, and this scholarship is so hard to turn down that I don't think I will.

patriots2487

Postby patriots2487 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 am

Just admitted as of yesterday. I'll see my acceptance letter this weekend, and hopefully I get a decent scholarship. A scholarship that is similar to the one GG offered me would definitely make me consider UOP. I'd rather come to UOP than go to Golden Gate.

With my dreams of SCU gone, UOP seems like a solid option. Here's to hoping I get money.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”