Suffolk Law c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shedl001

Re: Suffolk Law c/o 2016

Postby shedl001 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Monstickers wrote:Anyone going to the open house on the 24th?

Not able to. Are you aware of any other events coming up? I cannot find any on their website.

laura0862

Postby laura0862 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm going on the 24th. I haven't heard of anything else yet.

pja1988

Postby pja1988 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Evidently they have a committee going over and then sending out scholarship offers in the upcoming weeks.

Suffolk is my top choice as of late, but is it just me or is anyone else seriously concerned about the debt? It sounds kind of crazy, but for the past year and a half since I graduated from undergrad I've been day dreaming about sitting in a law school library briefing cases for classes. So, in terms of a career, there's nothing else I imagine myself doing at this point, but I'm worried about the debt and job prospects.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm

pja1988 wrote:Evidently they have a committee going over and then sending out scholarship offers in the upcoming weeks.

Suffolk is my top choice as of late, but is it just me or is anyone else seriously concerned about the debt? It sounds kind of crazy, but for the past year and a half since I graduated from undergrad I've been day dreaming about sitting in a law school library briefing cases for classes. So, in terms of a career, there's nothing else I imagine myself doing at this point, but I'm worried about the debt and job prospects.

Well, these are obviously very real and valid concerns. LSTSCOREREPORTS.com gives good info on Suffolk. It depends on what you want to do and what connections you have, but Suffolk at sticker is financial suicide.

pja1988

Postby pja1988 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:50 am

Good website, thanks for sharing it.

Suffolk at sticker is obviously a lot of debt, but I do know some grads from there who are now in their early- mid 30's successfully managing their sticker price debt as attorneys. Of course the annual tuition was probably in the ball park of $5K-8K cheaper then, but it's still within about $20K of debt that we'd see today.

Speaking of concentrations, I'm really interested in business law and I understand that Suffolk Law fairs quite well in this regard.

Has anyone back about any scholarships?

shedl001

Postby shedl001 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:51 pm

No word on scholarships here. Does anyone know how generous they are or have been in the past?

skri65

Postby skri65 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:51 pm

pja1988 wrote:Good website, thanks for sharing it.

Suffolk at sticker is obviously a lot of debt, but I do know some grads from there who are now in their early- mid 30's successfully managing their sticker price debt as attorneys. Of course the annual tuition was probably in the ball park of $5K-8K cheaper then, but it's still within about $20K of debt that we'd see today.

Speaking of concentrations, I'm really interested in business law and I understand that Suffolk Law fairs quite well in this regard.

It obviously depends on the person and their specific situation. I hate it when people on this forum tell others what to do without full knowledge of their situation. I just think that anyone attending Suffolk at full price should at least see those statistics so they can make an informed decision and not be blindsided when they realize a year into law school that the legal market sucks and the jobs just aren't there, especially for those who go to a school like Suffolk whose jobs often are taken by people that go to BC and BU. Best of luck, hope you get a good scholly.

laura0862

Postby laura0862 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm

skri65 wrote:

It obviously depends on the person and their specific situation. I hate it when people on this forum tell others what to do without full knowledge of their situation. I just think that anyone attending Suffolk at full price should at least see those statistics so they can make an informed decision and not be blindsided when they realize a year into law school that the legal market sucks and the jobs just aren't there, especially for those who go to a school like Suffolk whose jobs often are taken by people that go to BC and BU. Best of luck, hope you get a good scholly.

This.

I have had friends go to Suffolk, graduate top of their class and do extremely well in the job market. But, I've also had friends who went and are now making less than they did before they went to law school. It 100% depends on the person, their experience, how well you do in school and your connections. Boston is BIG on connections, so make as many as you can. There are many people on this site who say Suffolk is the worst, but it has a fairly good reputation in Boston, especially in government (based on what I've heard from colleagues, I work in Boston).

pja1988

Postby pja1988 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

laura0862 wrote:
skri65 wrote:

This.

I have had friends go to Suffolk, graduate top of their class and do extremely well in the job market. But, I've also had friends who went and are now making less than they did before they went to law school. It 100% depends on the person, their experience, how well you do in school and your connections. Boston is BIG on connections, so make as many as you can. There are many people on this site who say Suffolk is the worst, but it has a fairly good reputation in Boston, especially in government (based on what I've heard from colleagues, I work in Boston).
laura0862 wrote:
skri65 wrote:

This.

I would say that this is a strong assessment.

In the words of my friend who gradated from Suffolk,"I have nothing but good things to say about Suffolk. Suffolk is a well-respected institution in the Massachusetts Bar and you will find that there is an impressive network of Suffolk grads in the Boston legal community. My classes were well taught and reasonably scheduled. The building is top rate and career services was generally helpful. BUT... Suffolk is not Harvard, BC or BU."

shedl001

Postby shedl001 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:14 pm

I will be visiting Suffolk in two weeks. but I was hoping someone could comment on the facility and its immediate surroundings.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:34 am

shedl001 wrote:I will be visiting Suffolk in two weeks. but I was hoping someone could comment on the facility and its immediate surroundings.

It's a nice and new facility. It's pretty much smack in the middle of downtown Boston. Suffolk's facility and its location are what many consider its strong points

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 pm

I took the June LSAT at Suffolk Law and was definitely impressed by the facilities. In my opinion though, job prospects/OCI and scholarship money should by far outweigh the benefits of nice facilities. I can't really speak to those, and would love other opinions about that!

I've heard a lot of good and a lot of bad regarding Suffolk Law. I assume you get out of it what you put in.

EDIT:

FYI I just got in here today and haven't heard anything about scholarship money - seems consistent with the rest of this board.

nmlf16

Postby nmlf16 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:16 am

I got an email a few days ago saying I had to pay $28 to be considered for any financial aid at all, including merit scholarships.

yramos90

Postby yramos90 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Accepted!!

jayman12

Postby jayman12 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Anybody here anything about money from Suffolk? Got a lot of better deals from much better schools, but still interested in Suffolk if they give me any money pretty upset with them right now

shedl001

Postby shedl001 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 pm

jayman12 wrote:Anybody here anything about money from Suffolk? Got a lot of better deals from much better schools, but still interested in Suffolk if they give me any money pretty upset with them right now

Still no word here.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 pm

This is because they went to Suffolk a long time ago. I know a lot of people currently attending Suffolk with a ton of debt and no job at all. Just do your research. If you can go for free it might be a good investment. I turned down full ride at Suffolk for BC, though.

Monstickers

Postby Monstickers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Anyone going to the accepted students event in March?

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:56 pm

I strongly considered a 30K per year offer from Suffolk last year. I visited the school and have nothing but positive things to say about it - especially Dean Ellis in admissions (she's very open to negotiating too). Furthermore, as someone who spends a fair amount of time in Boston, I can also attest to the fact that Suffolk Law has a great deal of lay prestige in the city. Not sure about within the legal community but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it had a decent reputation, especially amongst slightly older attorneys.

That said, it is definitely rough going right now and it has the unfortunate luck of sharing its market with BU, BC, Northeastern and even Harvard, to the extent that their graduates want to stay in Boston (admittedly, most do leave). It is my understanding that they do still place relatively well in government jobs but those do not pay what most people would expect to make as a "lawyer" upon graduation and a look at Law School Transparency shows that 36% of Suffolk Law graduates have any sort of full-time legal job at all. So, going to Suffolk at sticker price has a 90%+ chance of being a very bad idea but going with a significant scholarship is by no means a decision you are going to have to justify within the city limits.

Not trying to sway people one way or the other, just giving my two cents as someone who did a lot of research on the place. Good luck!

mjj55

Postby mjj55 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Anyone receive any scholarship info?

shedl001

Postby shedl001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:45 pm

Nothing here. Sent two letters, no response.

wcphillies12

Postby wcphillies12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:46 pm

I was admitted in December with the small acceptance letter...didn't hear a word about scholarships, while other schools were giving me scholarships with my admissions package. So, thinking that they weren't going to offer any $$, I withdrew the other week via email.

But....today I got a package from Suffolk with scholarship stuff. I got a 30k a year Merit Scholarship. Have to maintain a 3.0 to keep it. I'm guessing they didn't get my email in time but I'm still gonna decline their offer. So, I'll be freeing up that scholarship for one of you hopefully.

FYI, the package contained a textbook written by a faculty member titled "Law & Justice on the Small Screen." Good luck to you all

Legaluxe

Postby Legaluxe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 am

Accepted for the Day division.....class of 2016.
I haven't officially received my financial aid letter however I called the financial aid office to see if I was even awarded anything yet and here's what I got:

$20,000 law trustee grant
$2,500 law trustee loan
$20,500 (unsubsidized loan)

So.....right now I'm looking at about $3000 shy from everything EXCEPT cost of living...

mjj55

Postby mjj55 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 pm

So...one person has received a package with scholarship stuff? Really?

shedl001

Postby shedl001 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:16 pm

mjj55 wrote:So...one person has received a package with scholarship stuff? Really?

I received $10,000/yr on Monday.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”