Ole Miss Law (Class of 2016)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
deadpanic

Re: Ole Miss Law (Class of 2016)

Postby deadpanic » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Lawdog12355 wrote:Really as long as I could get a well/decent paying job I"m cool with anywhere in the southeast. I would prefer GA, but if I got stuck somewhere for a while to gain some experience/pay off some debt, I'm pretty flexible. My main concern, is which school would give me the best option of actually finding profitable work after graduation.

Honestly i don't think either school gives you a decent shot. Speaking for ole miss, it pretty much limits you to MS & memphis. It is absolutely brutal out there. If you're not in the top 10 or so students in your class, you're going to have to rely on connections.

Lawdog12355

Postby Lawdog12355 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:43 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Lawdog12355 wrote:Really as long as I could get a well/decent paying job I"m cool with anywhere in the southeast. I would prefer GA, but if I got stuck somewhere for a while to gain some experience/pay off some debt, I'm pretty flexible. My main concern, is which school would give me the best option of actually finding profitable work after graduation.

Honestly i don't think either school gives you a decent shot. Speaking for ole miss, it pretty much limits you to MS & memphis. It is absolutely brutal out there. If you're not in the top 10 or so students in your class, you're going to have to rely on connections.

Decent shot at what? a job? or getting to GA?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Lawdog12355 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

Decent shot at what? a job? or getting to GA?

Decent shot at a good legal job. It is tough from either right now without really good connections and/or top grades. For getting to GA, both schools would be a stretch. Whatever school you choose, spend both summers working in GA.

rdh236

Postby rdh236 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:34 pm

So my status has been saying "File is complete" since 2/26, however I called the admissions office last week and asked if they could give me a more firm time frame of a decision being reported because my landlord keeps asking me about renewing my apt lease, etc. The person in the office understood and said I would know by April 5th, but after looking at these posts I am wondering why the status has not said anything about being under review/sent to committee/etc.

Did anyone else have an experience where the status went straight from file to complete to something more definite or should I just keep holding out and not answer the landlord's unending bombardment of phone calls? Especially after seeing that ASD is this Friday, it has me thinking I am in for a much longer wait than April 5th.

msgirldsu

Postby msgirldsu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:40 pm

rdh236 wrote:So my status has been saying "File is complete" since 2/26, however I called the admissions office last week and asked if they could give me a more firm time frame of a decision being reported because my landlord keeps asking me about renewing my apt lease, etc. The person in the office understood and said I would know by April 5th, but after looking at these posts I am wondering why the status has not said anything about being under review/sent to committee/etc.

Did anyone else have an experience where the status went straight from file to complete to something more definite or should I just keep holding out and not answer the landlord's unending bombardment of phone calls? Especially after seeing that ASD is this Friday, it has me thinking I am in for a much longer wait than April 5th.

My file was complete about 6 weeks (from the end of Jan. to Mid March) and then went to pre evaluation during spring break and stayed there for over 2 weeks. Mine just changed to committee review on Sunday (3/31). I'm not holding my breath to have an answer by Friday.

JustinMSumrall

Postby JustinMSumrall » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:25 pm

msgirldsu wrote:
rdh236 wrote:So my status has been saying "File is complete" since 2/26, however I called the admissions office last week and asked if they could give me a more firm time frame of a decision being reported because my landlord keeps asking me about renewing my apt lease, etc. The person in the office understood and said I would know by April 5th, but after looking at these posts I am wondering why the status has not said anything about being under review/sent to committee/etc.

My file was complete about 6 weeks (from the end of Jan. to Mid March) and then went to pre evaluation during spring break and stayed there for over 2 weeks. Mine just changed to committee review on Sunday (3/31). I'm not holding my breath to have an answer by Friday.

While you may not hear by Friday, i expect decisions to increase significantly over the next week or two. Many schools require deposits by April 1 to reserve seats, so as schools see which students aren't accepting their offers they will begin to offer more. Schools likely want to hold their cards as long as possible to ensure they get the strongest possible class, but with that said, I would imagine that many decisions will be made in the next two weeks.

taltool

Postby taltool » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 am

Anyone have any movement with their file? I'm still complete as of 1/18

rdh236

Postby rdh236 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 am

taltool wrote:Anyone have any movement with their file? I'm still complete as of 1/18

Mine finally moved to "pre-evaluation" 4/5 after being "complete" since 2/26. How long did everyone's usually stay in "pre-evaluation" and what exactly is the next step?

sc13

Postby sc13 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 pm

rdh236 wrote:
taltool wrote:Anyone have any movement with their file? I'm still complete as of 1/18

Mine finally moved to "pre-evaluation" 4/5 after being "complete" since 2/26. How long did everyone's usually stay in "pre-evaluation" and what exactly is the next step?

My file has been under "pre-evaluation" since 3/25. Hoping for some movement this week...

sc13

Postby sc13 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:31 pm

sc13 wrote:
rdh236 wrote:

My file has been under "pre-evaluation" since 3/25. Hoping for some movement this week...

File is now under "committee review" as of this afternoon.

morrissey

Postby morrissey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:08 pm

sc13 wrote:File is now under "committee review" as of this afternoon.

We're in the same situation as far as dates and movement goes. Hoping for the best for both of us! Also, does sc13 mean your from South Carolina?

rgbFSU

Postby rgbFSU » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:21 pm

I became "complete" on 12/5/12, Moved to "pre-evaluation" this afternoon.

taltool

Postby taltool » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 pm

looks like our venting on here worked mine went into pre-evaluation today as well

rebelengineer13

Postby rebelengineer13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:11 am

File Received 3/15 (Residency paperwork mailed 3/21)
File Complete 3/28
Pre-Evaluation 4/3
Committee Review 4/8

It's taken about a week for me with each step so far so I'm hoping to hear something in a few days. I'll update once I know something more. Good luck to those of you also in Committee Review. It's probably the most painful step for me thus far! So close but such a painful wait. I have no idea how some of you haven't exploded that have had your apps turned in with little to no movement since December and January. I would be one very crazy ball of stress.

Did anyone go to admitted students day? Any thoughts/good info come from it? Any idea how big the class size is right now?

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am

rebelengineer13 wrote: Did anyone go to admitted students day? Any thoughts/good info come from it? Any idea how big the class size is right now?

I went to ASD. The best part was the legendary biglaw trolling done by the recent graduate panel (two solo attorneys one non law professional). There are 74 people in the Facebook group and I believe they said there will be two sections in the fall...I may be wrong.

JustinMSumrall

Postby JustinMSumrall » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Dixie wrote:
rebelengineer13 wrote: Did anyone go to admitted students day? Any thoughts/good info come from it? Any idea how big the class size is right now?

I went to ASD. The best part was the legendary biglaw trolling done by the recent graduate panel (two solo attorneys one non law professional). There are 74 people in the Facebook group and I believe they said there will be two sections in the fall...I may be wrong.

Haha! I was there too and this is so true. The career panel totally downed biglaw. It was getting kinda awkward.

sc13

Postby sc13 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Decision letter mailed as of today but do not see accepted student login. Should I assume that I was waitlisted or denied then?

morrissey

Postby morrissey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:58 pm

sc13 wrote:Decision letter mailed as of today but do not see accepted student login. Should I assume that I was waitlisted or denied then?

Also curious about this. There was an acceptance dated today on LSN, but not sure if I should take that as a positive or negative.

rdh236

Postby rdh236 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 pm

morrissey wrote:
sc13 wrote:Decision letter mailed as of today but do not see accepted student login. Should I assume that I was waitlisted or denied then?

Also curious about this. There was an acceptance dated today on LSN, but not sure if I should take that as a positive or negative.

I'm in the same boat with the "decision letter mailed" showing in status but no link. At first I thought that meant wait list or denied but after seeing the previous post I'm not so sure.

Also, what exactly does LSN stand for?

morrissey

Postby morrissey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 pm

LSN is lawschoolnumbers.com. People post their stats and schools applied to with the decisions and dates. Sometimes it's helpful and sometimes not. Best of luck to us all though.

msgirldsu

Postby msgirldsu » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:52 am

Mine said only decision letter mailed and I was wait listed. Still trying to think positive about it, but I did get a good scholly elsewhere so it's not all bad. And I see that there are less than 80 in the admitted students Facebook and when I toured the Dean said the class would be about 150.

taltool

Postby taltool » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Any of those in pre- evaluation see any movement recently? Thanks!

rgbFSU

Postby rgbFSU » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:15 pm

taltool wrote:Any of those in pre- evaluation see any movement recently? Thanks!

I moved to "Committee Review" this afternoon.

taltool

Postby taltool » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 pm

rgbFSU wrote:
taltool wrote:Any of those in pre- evaluation see any movement recently? Thanks!

mine did as well. does anyone know how long it should take to get a decision?

rdh236

Postby rdh236 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 am

taltool wrote:
rgbFSU wrote:

mine did as well. does anyone know how long it should take to get a decision?

After "committee review" changed it took about 3-4 days to see that the letter had been mailed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”