Ole Miss Law (Class of 2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
taltool

New

Re: Ole Miss Law (Class of 2016)

Post by taltool » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:53 am

My file is still "complete" as of 1/18 anyone else still in the same boat? Starting to worry since more and more are getting reviewed

rgbFSU

New

Post by rgbFSU » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:55 pm

taltool wrote:My file is still "complete" as of 1/18 anyone else still in the same boat? Starting to worry since more and more are getting reviewed
In the same boat. Complete as of 12/5. Starting to get a little anxious myself as seat deposit deadlines are looming.

adman12

New

Post by adman12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 pm

I am beginning to wonder if they are reviewing files in alphabetical order. My file went into review on March 20 my last name starts with a D.

taltool

New

Post by taltool » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Lol well mine starts with W so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath

JustinMSumrall

New

Post by JustinMSumrall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:03 pm

There are only about 50 members in the admitted students Facebook group, and while I realize everyone that has gotten accepted isn't in the group there still seems to be a lot of room for more people to be accepted. I got accepted into Alabama and both admitted student days had already passed when I heard, so don't take that as a bad sign. From what I remember, Ole MIss will have notified everyone by May 1st. So there is a little over a month left. But i'm sure Ole Miss went ahead and accepted the top candidates and they are waiting to see how many pay their deposits so they get an idea of how many seats they can fill. I've got a feeling that after the deposit deadline passes there will be a influx of accepted students to fill the class out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dixie

New

Post by Dixie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:09 pm

JustinMSumrall wrote:I got accepted into Alabama and both admitted student days had already passed when I heard, so don't take that as a bad sign.
Are you going to accept the Bama offer? If so, congrats!

JustinMSumrall

New

Post by JustinMSumrall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Dixie wrote:
JustinMSumrall wrote:I got accepted into Alabama and both admitted student days had already passed when I heard, so don't take that as a bad sign.
Are you going to accept the Bama offer? If so, congrats!
Thank you so much! I'm not sure, I just found out and i'm waiting to hear about scholarships from them. I'm a MS resident, so I'd be paying out of state to Bama. Plus I wanna practice in MS. But if Bama offers me a really nice scholarship it will be hard to turn down.

Dixie

New

Post by Dixie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 pm

I am in the same situation. I'm a MS resident wanting to practice in MS and I don't have to pay @ Ole Miss.

Good luck on your decision...see you April 5th.

JustinMSumrall

New

Post by JustinMSumrall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Dixie wrote:I am in the same situation. I'm a MS resident wanting to practice in MS and I don't have to pay @ Ole Miss.

Good luck on your decision...see you April 5th.
Haha yes we are in the exact same boat then, I appreciate it, see you then!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rebelengineer13

New

Post by rebelengineer13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:04 am

My application status is "application received", it has been this way since 3/15. I completed and mailed in MS residency forms sometime last week. Any clue on how long it will take for my application status to change to pre-evaluation?

JustinMSumrall

New

Post by JustinMSumrall » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:36 am

rebelengineer13 wrote:My application status is "application received", it has been this way since 3/15. I completed and mailed in MS residency forms sometime last week. Any clue on how long it will take for my application status to change to pre-evaluation?
It could take several days, I'm not exactly sure. But I have a couple of friends that still haven't heard anything yet, and one applied in January, the other a few weeks ago. However, they should be making decisions regularly now so it could be any day. Admitted Students Day is April 5th, and I bet in the following week or two they will extend more acceptances as some who are considering Ole Miss will likely change their mind.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 am

From my experience years ago, admitted students day was at the same time, and they made lots of decisions within a week (or so) of ASD.

Lawdog12355

New

Post by Lawdog12355 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Application status changed to "decision letter mailed" this afternoon but at the top of the page there is a link and a password to the admitted students page, so I guess that's a good sign! Does anyone know anything about scholarships or OOS tuition waivers at Ole Miss (ie. when to expect decisions or how common OOS tuition waivers are)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustinMSumrall

New

Post by JustinMSumrall » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Lawdog12355 wrote:Application status changed to "decision letter mailed" this afternoon but at the top of the page there is a link and a password to the admitted students page, so I guess that's a good sign! Does anyone know anything about scholarships or OOS tuition waivers at Ole Miss (ie. when to expect decisions or how common OOS tuition waivers are)?
That's exactly what mine did, so i'm sure that means you're in! And i got notified of the scholarship offer by email about a week after my acceptance!

Lawdog12355

New

Post by Lawdog12355 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:01 pm

I hope I get a scholarship, it will be hard to turn down South Carolina's offer without one

sc13

New

Post by sc13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Lawdog12355 wrote:I hope I get a scholarship, it will be hard to turn down South Carolina's offer without one
When did you go under pre-evaluation? I saw where you went committee review on 3/25.

Lawdog12355

New

Post by Lawdog12355 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Pretty sure I went straight from app complete to committee review. I could be wrong though, there was a point where I didn't get to check my status for a few days

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawdog12355

New

Post by Lawdog12355 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Just got an acceptance email today and they mentioned something about how they offer the option to complete a JD in 2 years? Has anybody ever heard of this before or have any inside information? I'm very curious to see how this would fair in the job market without the traditional summer internships

Lawdog12355

New

Post by Lawdog12355 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 pm

OOS tuition waiver email came today

JustinMSumrall

New

Post by JustinMSumrall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Lawdog12355 wrote:Just got an acceptance email today and they mentioned something about how they offer the option to complete a JD in 2 years? Has anybody ever heard of this before or have any inside information? I'm very curious to see how this would fair in the job market without the traditional summer internships
That's the first i've heard of such a program. But i'm assuming it would require you to go to school all the way through with no break. And I agree, I feel like the internship process is a major component of landing a job. But it might be an option for people that already have a job lined up for them.
Lawdog12355 wrote:OOS tuition waiver email came today
Awesome! Do you think you'll be going to Ole Miss then?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:54 pm

(Current OM Law student): don't complete it in 2 years. It would be a major disadvantage, IMO. Unless you got a job already lined up and even then, probably not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawdog12355

New

Post by Lawdog12355 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 pm

JustinMSumrall wrote:
Lawdog12355 wrote:Just got an acceptance email today and they mentioned something about how they offer the option to complete a JD in 2 years? Has anybody ever heard of this before or have any inside information? I'm very curious to see how this would fair in the job market without the traditional summer internships
That's the first i've heard of such a program. But i'm assuming it would require you to go to school all the way through with no break. And I agree, I feel like the internship process is a major component of landing a job. But it might be an option for people that already have a job lined up for them.

Not sure, with the OOS waiver it's significantly cheaper than the offer I received from South Carolina. I feel like I might have better job prospects out of SC due to Columbia being the capital and SC grads dominating the state. Not to mention I currently have a good job that I would have to give up regardless of where I would go to school. Anyone care to weigh in on the decision of Ole Miss (tuition at $13000/yr) vs South Carolina (tuition at $24,000/yr)?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Lawdog12355 wrote:
JustinMSumrall wrote:

Not sure, with the OOS waiver it's significantly cheaper than the offer I received from South Carolina. I feel like I might have better job prospects out of SC due to Columbia being the capital and SC grads dominating the state. Not to mention I currently have a good job that I would have to give up regardless of where I would go to school. Anyone care to weigh in on the decision of Ole Miss (tuition at $13000/yr) vs South Carolina (tuition at $24,000/yr)?
Where do you want to practice? At USC, you're looking at over 30k+ a year. Don't think that is worth it (not saying ole miss is the way to go, either).

Lawdog12355

New

Post by Lawdog12355 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Really as long as I could get a well/decent paying job I"m cool with anywhere in the southeast. I would prefer GA, but if I got stuck somewhere for a while to gain some experience/pay off some debt, I'm pretty flexible. My main concern, is which school would give me the best option of actually finding profitable work after graduation.

Bigfoothunter

New

Post by Bigfoothunter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 pm

I was planning to attend Ole Miss Law back in 80's, upon graduation from Southern Miss, but later went into the oil and gas profession with a major oil and gas company About 50% of the employees in my group are lawyers, and use the legal education they obtained, but don't work purely in "law". My suggestion is that you ultimately seek your passion upon graduation, but don't look purely at law but more broadly into the corporate and business development areas that can draw upon your legal background such as in contracts and negotiations. Few law schools offer guidance on this, seeking graduates to pursue purely legal positions which I believe may not always serve the graduates in the best of light in terms of opportunities, particularly with an ever increasing supply of lawyers entering the profession. Congratulations and best wishes to all of you. Oh, I have a second home in Oxford and several farms nearby, and it is one of the best towns I can imagine to live in and go to college. I can't speak to the law school itself, but have toured it and it is impressive. Best of luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”