Davis c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
galiyagaliya

Re: Davis c/o 2016

Postby galiyagaliya » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:26 pm

I am soooo excited, a law school predictor gave me 8% Deny in Davis, I got accepted last night (12/20 - 03/02 - 2.5 months!). I am not URM/N applicant, my numbers are 156/3.7. I am trying to find out if I may be qualified for any fin. aid since the school is super expensive!

yupyup

Postby yupyup » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Waitlisted via status checker on 2/28, by mail today. Hope I hear good news in the coming months. I plan to go up and visit soon.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:21 pm

3.7. 159 ma male (URm). I got wait listed yesterday. Was it my lsat? But for a URm I thought I'd get in even with that lsat. I retook in feb so im hopikg to send a loci with a higher lsat (fingers crossed). :lol:
Anyways good luck to everyone.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 pm

KingFish wrote:
danishcookie wrote:Apologies if this has been asked recently, but has anyone heard about merit based aid yet? The aid estimate they sent seemed like it was solely based on the need access form

I received a merit scholarship email today. This is in addition to a need based email I received I think last week.

Wait, what? Really? I thought they didn't do merit until April. Can you tell us what the letter said? You don't have to include the amount (unless you're comfortable doing so...)

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:18 pm

eav1277 wrote:3.7. 159 ma male (URm). I got wait listed yesterday. Was it my lsat? But for a URm I thought I'd get in even with that lsat. I retook in feb so im hopikg to send a loci with a higher lsat (fingers crossed). :lol:
Anyways good luck to everyone.

I am very, very surprised you were waitlisted with your stats. What type of URM are you? I figured they would gobble up your GPA, but I guess you are just under their 75th so they didn't bite on it. With that said, I would send in a LOCI, I think they will eventually go for it. Hopefully your LSAT retake is even higher so the question will be how much money you will be getting instead :D

edit: I see I am blind, you are an MA male lol.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:12 am

FortunaGubernans wrote:Wait, what? Really? I thought they didn't do merit until April. Can you tell us what the letter said? You don't have to include the amount (unless you're comfortable doing so...)

UC Davis wrote:Mr. KingFish:

Congratulations on your admission to the University of California-Davis School of Law. I am very pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a Dean's Merit Scholarship...

...If you have submitted the required FAFSA and Need Access Form, you will receive information from the financial aid office about need-based aid. This scholarship, in combination with your need-based financial aid, should assist you in making enrollment at UC Davis more financially feasible.

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Been COMPLETE since 1/2...now at 2 months without even an evaluation update. I don't understand how people later than me are hearing back - i'm 3.56/166, so it's not like i'm an auto-reject.. i'm starting to get worried.

md22

Postby md22 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:22 pm

mcs268 wrote:Been COMPLETE since 1/2...now at 2 months without even an evaluation update. I don't understand how people later than me are hearing back - i'm 3.56/166, so it's not like i'm an auto-reject.. i'm starting to get worried.

Sorry about that. I was complete 1/4, I've been stuck at "awaiting evaluation" since 1/14. I'm above the medians as well...I dunno how Davis (and schools in general) chooses the order in which it evaluates applicants. I'm starting to get anxious myself!

Edit: wrote that on my iPhone originally and didn't see all the typos haha
Last edited by md22 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:54 pm

mcs268 wrote:Been COMPLETE since 1/2...now at 2 months without even an evaluation update. I don't understand how people later than me are hearing back - i'm 3.56/166, so it's not like i'm an auto-reject.. i'm starting to get worried.

I know this isn't really comforting, but you are probably an auto admit. UC Davis is just unpredictable when it comes to looking at applications, but unless you have some glaring issues with your app like C&F problems, I would expect to be accepted and that they will throw lots of money at you.

Nari Rina

Postby Nari Rina » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 pm

I don't know if I'm screwed, but... I just realized that I forgot to submit the Need Access application. o.o Is it too late?? :(

I forgot because Davis didn't update my status checker yet, and at the time - I didn't want to pay without knowing if I would get accepted or not. D:

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Nari Rina wrote:I don't know if I'm screwed, but... I just realized that I forgot to submit the Need Access application. o.o Is it too late?? :(

I forgot because Davis didn't update my status checker yet, and at the time - I didn't want to pay without knowing if I would get accepted or not. D:

My suspicion is you may be screwed. But call them asap in the morning!

I waited until the last second to submit mine, as I had not been admitted and didn't want to pay the fee only to be denied (Davis is the only school that is still a contender that requires it).

md22

Postby md22 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:25 am

Nari Rina wrote:I don't know if I'm screwed, but... I just realized that I forgot to submit the Need Access application. o.o Is it too late?? :(

My suggestion is to call them tomorrow morning/ASAP. I submitted mine on Friday night and although I submitted it before the deadline, for some reason I'm still hoping there will not be any issues!

Stormageddon

Postby Stormageddon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm right there with you. I couldn't submit til this morning. I got home from a trip Friday night and spent the next two days puking my guts out. Their website says that March 2 is the priority deadline. I'm hoping that it means that they can just take longer to get back to you with your offer.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Has anyone but KingFish heard back about merit scholarship offers? I heard from a few people that they were most likely mailing notifications out last Friday or today, but I have no idea. I've got the grants/fin aid situation settled at this point.

tennisgirl

Postby tennisgirl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Stormageddon wrote:

I'm right there with you. I couldn't submit til this morning. I got home from a trip Friday night and spent the next two days puking my guts out. Their website says that March 2 is the priority deadline. I'm hoping that it means that they can just take longer to get back to you with your offer.

I'm submitting mine today too.... after much pleadings, my father flat out refuses to submit any of his financial information (either to me or to law schools) So need access will probably be nothing for me, all things considered.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Congratulations on your admission to the University of California-Davis School of Law. I am very pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a Dean's Merit Scholarship...

...If you have submitted the required FAFSA and Need Access Form, you will receive information from the financial aid office about need-based aid. This scholarship, in combination with your need-based financial aid, should assist you in making enrollment at UC Davis more financially feasible.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting. That's interesting. I wonder if yours was early or if there's been a whole first wave already. Either way, congrats!

md22 wrote:
My suggestion is to call them tomorrow morning/ASAP. I submitted mine on Friday night and although I submitted it before the deadline, for some reason I'm still hoping there will not be any issues!

Your name is Stormageddon. Please be my friend immediately.

edit: I quoted the wrong person... but we can be friends, too, md22!

md22

Postby md22 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:Your name is Stormageddon. Please be my friend immediately.

FALSE. Friends do not misquote friends.

JK....there must be solidarity amongst us law school waiters. Also, I like to have people to get drinks with.

FortunaGubernans

Postby FortunaGubernans » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:27 pm

md22 wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:Your name is Stormageddon. Please be my friend immediately.

FALSE. Friends do not misquote friends.

JK....there must be solidarity amongst us law school waiters. Also, I like to have people to get drinks with.

Promise: If we both end up at UC Davis, and you figure out who I am, I will get at least one drink with you and also I will quote you correctly at least five times to make up for the error. It will probably be annoying how frequently and correctly I will quote you. But annoyance is the first step towards forgiveness.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:21 pm

My roommate pointed out that UC Davis is in Yolo County. Just another reason to consider attending.

Nari Rina

Postby Nari Rina » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 pm

I called the fin aid office today about the need access application, and they said that it's okay, we should still complete it anyways because its required for all incoming 1st years, but that it may affect the amount of need based grant offered to you (Is that the same as 'scholarships'?)

On an unrelated-ish note, I just got the text from Dean Kevin Johnson - does that mean I'm in? o_o Checked the status checker, no update yet...

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Nari Rina wrote:I called the fin aid office today about the need access application, and they said that it's okay, we should still complete it anyways because its required for all incoming 1st years, but that it may affect the amount of need based grant offered to you (Is that the same as 'scholarships'?)

On an unrelated-ish note, I just got the text from Dean Kevin Johnson - does that mean I'm in? o_o Checked the status checker, no update yet...

If the text says, "Come to Davis," then you are probably in (based on what previous posters have said).

But don't take my word for it.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:07 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:

I think a quick look at KingFish's LSAT would explain why he has heard back on scholly info so soon.

Edit: removed quote

md22

Postby md22 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Another day stuck on awaiting evaluation. The grind goes on!

zzzzurzolo

Postby zzzzurzolo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 am

Hello everyone :D

I looked at the status checker on a whim this evening and it turns out they just sent out my acceptance letter earlier in the day!

Davis has always been one of my top choices, and after visiting the campus recently I was even more impressed. Compared to other schools I visited like UCLA, USC and Boalt, Davis definitely had the most congenial and welcoming atmosphere. I was also skeptical of being in such a small town, but I actually liked it quite a bit and driving up from San Francisco took under an hour which was nice. I even had time to stop in Napa on the way back to SF for a wine tasting!

During my visit I toured the recently renovated building, met with admissions and even got to speak with Dean Johnson. Everyone was incredibly kind and considerate with their answers to my questions. I was blown away at how they took the time to accomodate me.

I strongly urge anyone on the fence considering Davis to go visit. Nearly every student and alum I have spoken to about Davis emphasizes how supportive the school is especially compared to horror stories from friends elsewhere.

As a Los Angeles native I'm still waiting to hear from USC (Dean Rasumussen was very welcoming too), but if I don't get in I'll still be incredibly happy and proud to go to Davis Law!

Good luck to everyone else and maybe I'll see some of you in the Bay soon!
Last edited by zzzzurzolo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elblufer

Postby elblufer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Just got my "preliminary" need based aid info from Davis. Their need based grants aren't bad at all.... If I got a scholarship on top of that, I'd actually be pretty happy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”