Davis c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Micdiddy

Gold

Re: Davis c/o 2016

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 pm

I really like Davis but after this drop in ranking I think they just need the money. The UC system is broke and there's no sign of it getting much better, so they simply can't afford to "pay for number." They would rather get full tuition from others. I understand that but am still a little disappointed, I really would have one with significant money. Oh well.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Well here we go. Has anyone successfully negotiated 18k in scholly to 150k? Guess that's what I need to do if I'm truly going to Davis.
Just to be clear, you're saying that you got 6k/yr merit-based and no need-based? Or is it need-based and not merit? Or is that your total of the two? Or possibly you got 18k/yr and you just want to have three times the admission cost in grants? I want to understand...

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Well here we go. Has anyone successfully negotiated 18k in scholly to 150k? Guess that's what I need to do if I'm truly going to Davis.
Just to be clear, you're saying that you got 6k/yr merit-based and no need-based? Or is it need-based and not merit? Or is that your total of the two? Or possibly you got 18k/yr and you just want to have three times the admission cost in grants? I want to understand...
6k/yr merit-based no word yet on need based at all. I suppose I shouldn't jump to conclusions but I highly doubt it will be 40k need-based. Am I literally the only person who got a scholly offer today? Ok adcoms, you know who I really am by now. I love Davis, make it happen ;)

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:
6k/yr merit-based no word yet on need based at all. I suppose I shouldn't jump to conclusions but I highly doubt it will be 40k need-based. Am I literally the only person who got a scholly offer today? Ok adcoms, you know who I really am by now. I love Davis, make it happen ;)
Maybe they saved the really big merit-awards for the mail and mine's sitting at home waiting for me. One can dream, right?

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:
I see. Well then don't give up hope, because they've been super generous with need-based so far. And congrats on being the standalone scholly recipient today! (was it adcom plot to reveal your identity? maybe)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:41 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:
I see. Well then don't give up hope, because they've been super generous with need-based so far. And congrats on being the standalone scholly recipient today! (was it adcom plot to reveal your identity? maybe)
Honestly I have said many times in this forum that I live in Davis and even posted about visiting the school minutes after visiting it. That, coupled with my numbers, have been a dead giveaway this whole time.
I don't see the big deal of it, tbh
And yeah, I will definitely wait for need-based info before making any hasty decisions. I hope you guys get some good news emails soon as well!

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:21 pm

6k/yr merit-based no word yet on need based at all. I suppose I shouldn't jump to conclusions but I highly doubt it will be 40k need-based. Am I literally the only person who got a scholly offer today? Ok adcoms, you know who I really am by now. I love Davis, make it happen ;)[/quote]

I see. Well then don't give up hope, because they've been super generous with need-based so far. And congrats on being the standalone scholly recipient today! (was it adcom plot to reveal your identity? maybe)[/quote]

Honestly I have said many times in this forum that I live in Davis and even posted about visiting the school minutes after visiting it. That, coupled with my numbers, have been a dead giveaway this whole time.
And yeah, I will definitely wait for need-based info before making any hasty decisions. I hope you guys get some good news emails soon as well![/quote]

I was told (via e-mail) that I could expect about $14K per year in grant aid. But, then again, I'm poor.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:37 pm

gitguy wrote:
And yeah, I will definitely wait for need-based info before making any hasty decisions. I hope you guys get some good news emails soon as well![/quote]

I was told (via e-mail) that I could expect about $14K per year in grant aid. But, then again, I'm poor.[/quote]

Well, unfortunately, if that's what they're giving us poor folks, then 14k/yr is not very reassuring.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:50 pm

I mean... I got 30k in grants and 20k in loans, so... I consider that pretty good. And you could be in the same boat.

(Edit: I took out all the quotes, cuz they're all messed up. I think you can all infer to whom I am responding)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:53 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:I mean... I got 30k in grants and 20k in loans, so... I consider that pretty good. And you could be in the same boat.

(Edit: I took out all the quotes, cuz they're all messed up. I think you can all infer to whom I am responding)
30k in grants? Man I'm jealous... Parent info killed me, otherwise I would've had it too. Good thing my parents aren't helping me with law school, yet I still needed to report it. :/

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:55 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:I mean... I got 30k in grants and 20k in loans, so... I consider that pretty good. And you could be in the same boat.

30k in grants? Man I'm jealous... Parent info killed me, otherwise I would've had it too. Good thing my parents aren't helping me with law school, yet I still needed to report it. :/
Ha, yeah. Trust me, I would have been in the same exact position if I hadn't gotten married this year. Now they consider me a REAL adult, so I didn't have to give any parental info. It was a happy day when I realized that.

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:

Ha, yeah. Trust me, I would have been in the same exact position if I hadn't gotten married this year. Now they consider me a REAL adult, so I didn't have to give any parental info. It was a happy day when I realized that.
But... I have a cat! Come on! That's like a full-on dependent right there! Oh well, I thought the day I turned 21 and could finally buy alcohol was when I became a REAL adult but apparently not.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:01 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:

But... I have a cat! Come on! That's like a full-on dependent right there! Oh well, I thought the day I turned 21 and could finally buy alcohol was when I became a REAL adult but apparently not.
In the eyes of the world: sure. In the eyes of FAFSA: no, sir! The cat comment made me lol, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:01 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:

Really? I'm married and still gave parent info on my FAFSA and Needaccess. Maybe some other school required it...

Eta: Just remember I filled out my fafsa and need access months ago and already got the need based email, but forgot about it 'cause it's been so long. 14k in need based aid. I really don't get how this stuff is computed, I have almost no money to my name and am paying for EVERYTHING with loans, if that doesn't qualify for max aid, what does?
Oh well. Time to bargain for 20k+ more a year, but most likely withdrawing. Wish me luck!
Last edited by Micdiddy on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:02 pm

today got changed to Evaluation in Progress.

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:04 pm

99.9luft wrote:today got changed to Evaluation in Progress.
Best of luck to you. Don't forget to mention your cat as a dependent on FASFA. (Just kidding).

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
Best of luck to you. Don't forget to mention your cat as a dependent on FASFA. (Just kidding).
Does your cat look like Grumpy Cat? Tell me it does.
Micdiddy wrote:
FortunaGubernans wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:

Really? I'm married and still gave parent info on my FAFSA and Needaccess. Maybe some other school required it...

Eta: Just remember I filled out my fafsa and need access months ago and already got the need based email, but forgot about it 'cause it's been so long. 14k in need based aid. I really don't get how this stuff is computed, I have almost no money to my name and am paying for EVERYTHING with loans, if that doesn't qualify for max aid, what does?
Oh well. Time to bargain for 20k+ more a year, but most likely withdrawing. Wish me luck!
Sorry, Micdiddy...:( Best of luck with negotiations, though!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:15 pm

This is my cat. http://i.imgur.com/4UOA3.jpg

This is my cat trying to drink scotch. http://i.imgur.com/TjfFH4F.jpg

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:17 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:This is my cat. http://i.imgur.com/4UOA3.jpg

Aw. I love her.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:18 pm

I don't really like cats, but that is one cute cat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Dmini7 wrote:

I don't really like cats, but that is one cute cat.

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks! She likes to yell like a maniac at 6 am to wake me up, then sleep directly on my computer every time I try to do homework. I don't think she's the reason I got into school, but she's still the best cat ever.

mcs268

Bronze

Post by mcs268 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 pm

EVALUATION IN PROGRESS!!!! Finally..

md22

Bronze

Post by md22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Finally evaluation in progress! There is hope.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”