International Applicants 2012-2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby wisteria » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:15 pm

gabriella97 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a question. Do international students qualify for those diversity scholarship and programs at those biglaw firms? Assuming that they are non-white.


A friend of mine from Duke Law (international, on student visa, asian) got a diversity award at a biglaw IP firm for summer intern.

gabriella97
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:10 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby gabriella97 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Well. Thanks. That's really good to know.

wisteria wrote:
gabriella97 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a question. Do international students qualify for those diversity scholarship and programs at those biglaw firms? Assuming that they are non-white.


A friend of mine from Duke Law (international, on student visa, asian) got a diversity award at a biglaw IP firm for summer intern.

Lexie_M_89
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby Lexie_M_89 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

I completed all my application on 1/4 and 1/7....Up to now, no result yet....
Last edited by Lexie_M_89 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby danitt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Lexie_M_89 wrote:I completed all my application on 1/4 and 1/7....Up to now, no result yet....

I wonder is it the common case for international applicants to wait longer?

My stat: in undergraduate, 170/AA, class ranking 7%, law major, with intern experience in biglaws, also their Lor

But that hasn't been a long wait at all. There are applicants who applied in September that are still awaiting responses from schools.

User avatar
poichi
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby poichi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

danitt wrote:
Lexie_M_89 wrote:I completed all my application on 1/4 and 1/7....Up to now, no result yet....

I wonder is it the common case for international applicants to wait longer?

My stat: in undergraduate, 170/AA, class ranking 7%, law major, with intern experience in biglaws, also their Lor

But that hasn't been a long wait at all. There are applicants who applied in September that are still awaiting responses from schools.


I heard back from a couple of schools in the timeframe you're talking about (two weeks after submission), but noone in the T14. You're not having to "wait longer" until we get to March or April, and the very top schools pretty much do as they please. I would expect you to hear in February from most schools at the earliest, but it totally depends on where you applied. January is quite late to apply. I feel bad for those who applied in September but haven't heard :?

I'm also interested in where you went to school if you got AA with a top 7% class rank. This aspect of transcript evaluation is extremely opaque.

IwishIknewIt
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby IwishIknewIt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 am

Hi guys,
Checking in. I will be applying next cycle.

I am not US citizen, nor green card holder either.

I will watch your cycles :)

Best of luck!!!!

Lexie_M_89
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby Lexie_M_89 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:15 am

poichi wrote:
danitt wrote:
Lexie_M_89 wrote:I completed all my application on 1/4 and 1/7....Up to now, no result yet....

I wonder is it the common case for international applicants to wait longer?

My stat: in undergraduate, 170/AA, class ranking 7%, law major, with intern experience in biglaws, also their Lor

But that hasn't been a long wait at all. There are applicants who applied in September that are still awaiting responses from schools.


I heard back from a couple of schools in the timeframe you're talking about (two weeks after submission), but noone in the T14. You're not having to "wait longer" until we get to March or April, and the very top schools pretty much do as they please. I would expect you to hear in February from most schools at the earliest, but it totally depends on where you applied. January is quite late to apply. I feel bad for those who applied in September but haven't heard :?

I'm also interested in where you went to school if you got AA with a top 7% class rank. This aspect of transcript evaluation is extremely opaque.


I pm-ed you about my school and its weird grading scale....

I applied to Stanford (I'm sure I will be rejected), NYU (I think will be rejected, have been reviewed twice, and they usually issue offer at a quick speed), Columbia (I feel 170 is too low to reach it).

Penn (I ED the second round, will know my destiny soon...maybe WL, you know I am pretty pessimistic now)
Michigan
UVA
Berkeley (1/4 UR, 1/23 under faculty review.... i guess the next step is WL/Ding..they love high GPAs....though my school is nice, my ranking is good and my prof should have highly evaluated me, the number is truly ugly....)

(I will be happy with any of these three in fact. But they don't have a high acceptance rate)

Cornell (I m not sure I will attend even if they accept me....)

eyfl
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby eyfl » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 am

Never noticed this thread :shock:

Anyway, checking in: 172/AA, ~4 years of decent WE.

There should be a poll so we can see which countries are ppl from (I assume the majority are from english-speaking places?)..

IwishIknewIt
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby IwishIknewIt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 am

eyfl wrote:Never noticed this thread :shock:

Anyway, checking in: 172/AA, ~4 years of decent WE.

There should be a poll so we can see which countries are ppl from (I assume the majority are from english-speaking places?)..

Not even close.....

I am from Asia.

User avatar
poichi
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby poichi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Lexie_M_89 wrote:Berkeley (1/4 UR, 1/23 under faculty review.... i guess the next step is WL/Ding..they love high GPAs....though my school is nice, my ranking is good and my prof should have highly evaluated me, the number is truly ugly....)


I got passed to faculty review on the same date. Berkeley be hatin' on the international applicants.

I am from the UK but I also spent a year in France and two in Japan, so Cornell is a favorite of mine personally. (None of you guys apply though, I don't want them to like you more than me :wink: )

imagination
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby imagination » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Any Australian applicants out of there?

I'm looking at applying in the 2013/2014 cycle -- maybe. I don't know whether or not I'm a strong enough candidate to make the process worth it (though at the moment, studying law at a t10 in the US is what I really want to do.)

Has anyone got any information and how the CAS rates international transcripts. I'm trying to gauge where I might fall on their scale to help me determine whether or not it will be worth applying.

I have a very poor year 1 undergrad transcript (lot's of passes and credits, only two distinctions, one fail -- and it's not an academic fail as a I passed the subject with credit but was failed on the clinical placement) however my year 2 and 3 transcripts are 98% distinctions with two credits and two high distinctions. I graduated with an overall 2.95 on a 4 point scale.

During my first undergrad year I also assumed primary carer responsibilities for my grandmother and her sister whilst studying full time, which I think impacted to a degree, on my GPA. However this is almost entirely irrelevant.

I am about to commence a masters degree however my understanding is that my grades from this will be of little relevance.

If I gained a LSAT above the schools median (or is above the school's 175th a better bet?) would the application process be worth it?

I think have pretty good 'softs' -- extensive volunteer work (local and international), work experience as a registered nurse (it's, I imagine, entirely irrelevant, but I was one of 14 grad nurses selected for employment at my current hospital - out of 4000+ applicants), publications/international conference presentations in my current field and membership of advisory committees for national nursing organisations.

Do you think I should apply if I gain a satisfactory LSAT? Do I have any chance at all with that poor undergrad GPA?

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby wisteria » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:21 pm

poichi wrote: I got passed to faculty review on the same date. Berkeley be hatin' on the international applicants.



To be fair though, according to the first page of this thread, Berkeley did at least admit one international applicant. I am still waiting for any response from Berkeley since mid Nov. I thought maybe they are dealing with international applicants later. But the fact that you two at least got to the FR stage means that they are processing the international applications just fine. So I guess something about my app is getting me stuck at so many schools.

User avatar
poichi
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby poichi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm

imagination wrote:Has anyone got any information and how the CAS rates international transcripts. I'm trying to gauge where I might fall on their scale to help me determine whether or not it will be worth applying.


I believe it is Superior, Above Average, Average, Below Average. The criteria are 'mostly A-level work', 'mostly B-level work', etc. I also have a suspicion personally that the institution and the country's reputation in general also play a part. I didn't know that Aus has a 4.0 scale also, so I don't know how that would factor in. However, since International (minus Canada, since apparently that's a thing) applicants just have the broad category described above, they don't have a "GPA" as such that is reported to LSAC. So it therefore comes down to convincing a school that you have the intellectual capacity to succeed in law school, or so I figure. In this case a Master's degree might actually be beneficial. I got rated Above Average and am in at a couple of T14s. Most of my applications are still out to pasture.

Also, I am below the LSAT median at nearly all T14 schools. So, you don't have to be above or even at the median to be admitted. (Aiming for 75% makes sense when you think about it, but I was lucky enough to be able to "borrow" a US pre-law advisor and she told me to go for it, and it looks like she was right.) If AdComms like your story (and you post a good LSAT), then you are in with a shot.
Last edited by poichi on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby wisteria » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:32 pm

imagination wrote: I have a very poor year 1 undergrad transcript (lot's of passes and credits, only two distinctions, one fail -- and it's not an academic fail as a I passed the subject with credit but was failed on the clinical placement) however my year 2 and 3 transcripts are 98% distinctions with two credits and two high distinctions. I graduated with an overall 2.95 on a 4 point scale.

During my first undergrad year I also assumed primary carer responsibilities for my grandmother and her sister whilst studying full time, which I think impacted to a degree, on my GPA. However this is almost entirely irrelevant.

Do you think I should apply if I gain a satisfactory LSAT? Do I have any chance at all with that poor undergrad GPA?


I'm not in a position to tell you what you should do with your life, but I know there are plenty of applicants who got into decent schools with low overall GPA but a big upward GPA trend. You can write a good addendum to explain your circumstances and draw their attention to your significant improvement. As for transcript evaluation, I'm afraid you will probably get an Average (?)

User avatar
poichi
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby poichi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm

wisteria wrote:I'm not in a position to tell you what you should do with your life, but I know there are plenty of applicants who got into decent schools with low overall GPA but a big upward GPA trend. You can write a good addendum to explain your circumstances and draw their attention to your significant improvement. As for transcript evaluation, I'm afraid you will probably get an Average (?)


Personally I agree about the addendum. I wanted to do one for my app to explain that the letter grades were not quite equivalent of US grades. The pre-law advisor I talked to thought it wasn't a big deal at all and told me not to bother, but she agreed to help me do one anyway. It doesn't seem to have hurt.

I've not seen anyone with an Average evaluation, so I can't speak to your chances if that is the evaluation you get. Only thing you can do is submit to LSAC and find out. If you are really nervous about it, you could have the transcript evaluated before committing to law school, and then make a decision once you have the facts, especially since you are aiming high.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby wisteria » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Lexie_M_89 wrote:I completed all my application on 1/4 and 1/7....Up to now, no result yet....

I wonder is it the common case for international applicants to wait longer?

My stat: in undergraduate, 170/AA, class ranking 7%, law major, with intern experience in biglaws, also their Lor


I *finally* figured out what you meant by AA. "Above Average". I thought it meant African American when I saw you got WLed (held?) as a UPenn ED2. I was outraged that Upenn would WL a URM/170 EDer. haha.

User avatar
poichi
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby poichi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 pm

wisteria wrote:
poichi wrote: I got passed to faculty review on the same date. Berkeley be hatin' on the international applicants.



To be fair though, according to the first page of this thread, Berkeley did at least admit one international applicant. I am still waiting for any response from Berkeley since mid Nov. I thought maybe they are dealing with international applicants later. But the fact that you two at least got to the FR stage means that they are processing the international applications just fine. So I guess something about my app is getting me stuck at so many schools.


My LSAT is not impressive for the T14 (not auto-deny, but I have to be balanced out slightly by a splitter to make up for it), so I'm not really complaining. (96th percentile has an awesome ring to it, but when you're competing against elite students, all our applications have a great ring to them.) I like many students didn't take my UG as seriously as I should have, but I'm lucky enough that this doesn't mean I have to settle for T20/25. Faculty Review was logical for me, but Lexie is a much stronger applicant numbers-wise (despite the same AA evaluation).

Lexie_M_89
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby Lexie_M_89 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:36 am

berkeley does not care so much about lsat....so I think you are no weaker than i am, perhaps even stronger, given your experience.

User avatar
poichi
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby poichi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:39 pm

Offered $36k total by Texas, no mention of in-state tuition waiver (I've seen this offered to out-of-state students before). Their numbers threshold for merit I think is 168/3.65, at which point they offer $36k and up depending on numbers. So, an Above Average is not an impediment to merit aid at Texas.

George Washington on the other hand I think lowballed me a little with $60k. I can only surmise that they do take the evaluation into account, as high-GPA 168s have been getting $90k and $120k. It's possible that I could leverage my Georgetown acceptance, but I'd have to think about it. Minnesota already made a great offer from GWU's tier with a full ride.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby wisteria » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Has any of my fellow international applicants received a Columbia offer (RD)? After a week of waiting, I've given up the hope.

mosquito
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby mosquito » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:18 am

Anyone here applied for 2-year JD for international lawyers program at Northwestern?

mez4083
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:38 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby mez4083 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 am

168/superior
While my results are not as good as I expected.
In: Georgetown, Austin($36k), GW($60k)
Reject: Berkeley, Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, Virginia(Early Decision), Duke(applied Early Decision after being rejected by Virginia), Penn
Waiting list: UCLA(having withdrawn my application )
No reason why I got so many rejections instead of wl or defer...

Lexie_M_89
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby Lexie_M_89 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:04 am

mez4083 wrote:168/superior
While my results are not as good as I expected.
In: Georgetown, Austin($36k), GW($60k)
Reject: Berkeley, Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, Virginia(Early Decision), Duke(applied Early Decision after being rejected by Virginia), Penn
Waiting list: UCLA(having withdrawn my application )
No reason why I got so many rejections instead of wl or defer...



I cannot believe it... I think you should at least be waitlisted by a couple of schools, such as UM, UVA.... Do you come from Asia? In undergra?

mez4083
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:38 am

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby mez4083 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:57 am

Lexie_M_89 wrote:
mez4083 wrote:168/superior
While my results are not as good as I expected.
In: Georgetown, Austin($36k), GW($60k)
Reject: Berkeley, Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, Virginia(Early Decision), Duke(applied Early Decision after being rejected by Virginia), Penn
Waiting list: UCLA(having withdrawn my application )
No reason why I got so many rejections instead of wl or defer...



I cannot believe it... I think you should at least be waitlisted by a couple of schools, such as UM, UVA.... Do you come from Asia? In undergra?


You got it...:(
I think that's probably why I got so many rejects. Maybe I should work a couple of years then apply?

User avatar
poichi
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Postby poichi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:16 pm

mez4083 wrote:
Lexie_M_89 wrote:
mez4083 wrote:168/superior
While my results are not as good as I expected.
In: Georgetown, Austin($36k), GW($60k)
Reject: Berkeley, Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, Virginia(Early Decision), Duke(applied Early Decision after being rejected by Virginia), Penn
Waiting list: UCLA(having withdrawn my application )
No reason why I got so many rejections instead of wl or defer...



I cannot believe it... I think you should at least be waitlisted by a couple of schools, such as UM, UVA.... Do you come from Asia? In undergra?


You got it...:(
I think that's probably why I got so many rejects. Maybe I should work a couple of years then apply?


I think if you really want law school in the US (and at one of the schools you've been rejected from, of course) then taking a year or two out sounds like a good idea. You have the same LSAT and a better transcript eval that I have but I am in at Mich and UCLA and WL at Virginia so far. Haven't heard back at the other schools you listed. There must be something about your application that these schools don't like. If you don't know what it is, then I would take time out to get some experience and convince these schools that they want you. I think some schools are suspicious of applicants who they think are applying for selfish reasons (I think UCLA are pretty good at figuring this out, Michigan too) so you could try volunteering or doing some kind of community service before reapplying.

eta: your Superior evaluation discredits my theory about GWU. I guess they just lowball international applicants generally.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, cyclawps, Hopefullawkid2015, SuperAverageJoe and 26 guests