International Applicants 2012-2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jmjm

Bronze

Re: International Applicants 2012-2013

Post by jmjm » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:10 am

Last edited by jmjm on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poichi

Bronze

Post by poichi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Pretty sure you're good, but I don't have direct experience of being accepted to those schools so I can't say for sure (best I could do was being held at H until almost June before being dinged, so you know they thought about it). I have Above Average and some Cs also. I think they figure a C from abroad is not always the same as a US C (which it isn't). I also didn't have a GPA, just a "verbal score" or whatever they came up with to describe the British degree system, but then they'll know not to directly compare a GPA even if it is on the 4.0 scale.

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:03 pm

thanks, i'm confused if superior is enough to carry the day in the gpa department and actual grades wouldn't matter. Do you think ahigher lsat for you would have made a difference at hys?
Based on tls data, 1 international in the lsat few years here posted a deny with AA/179 at h. And some others have posted deny at H with superior and >75% lsat. Based on tls wisdom such cases were unlikely to be rejected. What factors affect international admin decisions at hys?

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:36 pm

jmjm wrote:thanks, i'm confused if superior is enough to carry the day in the gpa department and actual grades wouldn't matter. Do you think ahigher lsat for you would have made a difference at hys?
Based on tls data, 1 international in the lsat few years here posted a deny with AA/179 at h. And some others have posted deny at H with superior and >75% lsat. Based on tls wisdom such cases were unlikely to be rejected. What factors affect international admin decisions at hys?
I was held @ H and am still wait listed atm. Will let you know how it plays out.

poichi

Bronze

Post by poichi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:19 pm

jmjm wrote:thanks, i'm confused if superior is enough to carry the day in the gpa department and actual grades wouldn't matter. Do you think ahigher lsat for you would have made a difference at hys?
I think it depends on how far out of school you are. I turned 27 this week and graduated the same day I turned 22. It wasn't a conscious decision to put distance between myself and my UG, but I've really done a lot in these five years and I'm able to demonstrate that I'm a different person, so I've outperformed my numbers with a decent scholarship to Mich with a good overall application (a pre-law advisor told me I would do better than I thought because there were no actual weaknesses anywhere, which is apparently unusual, and she was right).

For me, a higher LSAT would have definitely helped, but for my situation (married to a Midwest girl), honestly we would probably have ended up at Michigan anyway, just with a larger scholarship. It's the closest school to her family (besides the Chicago schools) and the friendlier atmosphere suits us a lot better.

Good luck, eyfl. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks, both your cases of being held for some time are encouraging. If they hold it means they are considering. Is hold similar to waitlist in your case? The case last year of an international applicant denied with aa/179 is confusing. If denied only on the basis of above average then that contradicts some results this year.
I am now not sure if this process is as numbers driven is as it appears. Also saw some non urm with lower 160s accepted at h.

A gpa addendum relevant in my case?
Posted elsewhere about this, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=212545

nmufti87

New

Post by nmufti87 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 am

Hey ... I just came across this thread ... I haven't uploaded my transcripts on LSAC yet, but I'm assuming my conversion will put me to an average or might even be a below average, but I was able to get a 175 on my LSAT ... I'm wondering whether that will be enough to get into Georgetown or any other T-14 schools ... Are international students judged in the same way as US applicants ... I'm in my final year of undergrad right now so I may be able to increase my GPA just a little bit, but I doubt it'll put me in the above average range ... Any help that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated ...

mohanster

New

Post by mohanster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:47 pm

nmufti87 wrote:Hey ... I just came across this thread ... I haven't uploaded my transcripts on LSAC yet, but I'm assuming my conversion will put me to an average or might even be a below average, but I was able to get a 175 on my LSAT ... I'm wondering whether that will be enough to get into Georgetown or any other T-14 schools ... Are international students judged in the same way as US applicants ... I'm in my final year of undergrad right now so I may be able to increase my GPA just a little bit, but I doubt it'll put me in the above average range ... Any help that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated ...
Based on my experience as an applicant this year, your gpa record simply doesn't matter or maybe counts for a fraction of what it'll be for a US applicant. All that matters is your LSAT.

175 is a great score, congrats!

I think you stand a great chance at NU, GULC and Cornell with a decent amount of scholarship.

You might also get into Penn, Duke, UVA, UCB and have a fighting chance at CCN.

You can most definitely bid goodbye to HYS.

nmufti87

New

Post by nmufti87 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Thank you so much for your reply and thank you for the congrats ... I was under the impression that NU requires work experience ... Isn't that true for international applicants ... I was planning to send in an application despite the fact that I don't have a lot of work experience ... Have just done a few internships and helped my mom at her workplace every summer for two years and I wasnt sure if that would've been enough ... With my grades I wasnt planning to even apply to HYS ... Always thought it was way out of my league ... Thank you for your help again ...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ALICEchanalice

New

Post by ALICEchanalice » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 pm

estellejade wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm an international student (French) and will be applying in Fall 2013 for 2013/2014 cycle. I haven't taken the LSAT yet.
If you don't mind I have a few questions, and I thought international applicants probably know the answers better than US applicants. (Sorry if this is a little off topic...)

1) Are there any international applicants here whose mother tongue is not English ? If so, are you perfectly fluent, and did you take the TOEFL or some other test to prove it ?
My English is good and I try to improve everyday, but it is still far from perfect which scares me a little...

2) Do you have any idea of how international transcripts are reviewed ? Do you feel like your evaluation actually reflected your grades ?
I am afraid that I won't get a "superior" because the French grading system is tough (basically, you can't get a GPA higher than 15/20, which would probably translate into a B at most), and even though my grades are good, my school doesn't rank students so LSAC won't know what my grades are worth compared to other students...

3) Is your personal statement related to the fact that you're an international applicant / Do you explain why you want to attend law school in the US ?

4) How did you prep for the LSAT ? Would you advise to take an online course ?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I'm kind of anxious. Feel free to answer only some of them if you want to, and I'd love to hear any other advice you might have.

Best of luck to everyone, and congratulations for those of you who already got accepted into some schools !
Hi estellejade,
I have the same problem here!
because my school don't score very high, even I am top 10%, I am still below 3.6..
Can anyone answer that question?
Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”