BYU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yodamiked

Re: BYU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby yodamiked » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:30 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:Admitted students day was pretty good, if a little boring. I feel like i could have lived without going but it was nice to meet prgrad, yodamike, buddytyler, et al. I talked to a lot of people with great offers considering BYU, so it could be an interesting class this fall.

Yeah, it was great to put faces to all the online names. The one thing that stood out to me the most was the mentoring program. Having a mentor assigned with the task of getting you three job interviews seems pretty legit.

bobsacamanno

Postby bobsacamanno » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:04 pm

"it looks like" means I used wishy-washy language. I'm in, according to the phone call. Did you guys get information for logging into the website, etc.? I filled out my FAFSA before I was admitted, put BYU on the list of schools to whom it should be sent, but BYU emailed me to let me know something was wrong. I wanted to check my personal information and get all settled in.

Should I be waiting for a letter or something that will probably spell out all this and ask for a deposit, etc.? See, if the admitted students event wasn't 2 days notice and several hours away, I would have come and found out everything I need to know. :) But I have a job and class and kids and all that . . .

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:05 pm

yodamiked wrote:
jimmy_dean wrote:Admitted students day was pretty good, if a little boring. I feel like i could have lived without going but it was nice to meet prgrad, yodamike, buddytyler, et al. I talked to a lot of people with great offers considering BYU, so it could be an interesting class this fall.

Yeah, it was great to put faces to all the online names. The one thing that stood out to me the most was the mentoring program. Having a mentor assigned with the task of getting you three job interviews seems pretty legit.

Did you guys find out about that during the externship student panel? That sounds like an awesome program... after all, getting the interviews in the first place is the hard part.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
yodamiked wrote:

Did you guys find out about that during the externship student panel? That sounds like an awesome program... after all, getting the interviews in the first place is the hard part.

It was a presentation afterwords. Yeah, it was really interesting. Sounded promising.

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:09 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
yodamiked wrote:

i missed that part, my wife and i left during the center for religious studies presentation.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Here's a link to information on the mentoring program. The site is a little messy. Download the "Curriculum Document" located just above the video. It gives a good overview of what the mentoring program expects of its mentors. It looks like last fall was the first year of the program so it's hard to judge how effective it will be, but it looks interesting. In the presentation yesterday, they said that you choose your mentor from an online database so you can pick someone who works in the sector you're interested in and may have similar backgrounds.

http://lawalumni.byu.edu/s/1085/06-law/ ... 8&pgid=574

Here's another document: http://www.law2.byu.edu/careers/mentori ... 202012.pdf

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:20 pm

i noticed that diana posted some housing stuff on the facebook page. craigslist isn't really big in utah, but ksl is massive and by far the best way to find housing (unless you know a senior couple serving a mission... that is the holy grail).

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:44 am

jimmy_dean wrote:i noticed that diana posted some housing stuff on the facebook page. craigslist isn't really big in utah, but ksl is massive and by far the best way to find housing (unless you know a senior couple serving a mission... that is the holy grail).

Yeah I was checking out ksl this morning. Blows my mind a little, how cheap cost of living is in Provo compared to other places I've checked into.

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:49 pm

has anyone (specifically yodamike) successfully negotiated their scholarship offer? i hesitate to try because so much is subsidized by tithing, but it's a down year and this is the year to get more $ if any. i've been shameless everywhere else.

i also wish someone could assuage my fear of how competitive byu is. i'm not afraid of working/competing and come from a decently rigorous (40+ hrs of studying per week) undergrad, but if everyone is putting in 12hrs/day of studying for the same 10 jobs i don't know if i can do that. crap.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:07 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:has anyone (specifically yodamike) successfully negotiated their scholarship offer? i hesitate to try because so much is subsidized by tithing, but it's a down year and this is the year to get more $ if any. i've been shameless everywhere else.

i also wish someone could assuage my fear of how competitive byu is. i'm not afraid of working/competing and come from a decently rigorous (40+ hrs of studying per week) undergrad, but if everyone is putting in 12hrs/day of studying for the same 10 jobs i don't know if i can do that. crap.

Pm'd you.

And yeah, the competitive thing is scary. I actually looked at the princton review for that category, and none of the schools listed are what you would have expected. No T14s made the list, so it makes you wonder how "competitive" is actually defined.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm

yodamiked wrote:
jimmy_dean wrote:has anyone (specifically yodamike) successfully negotiated their scholarship offer? i hesitate to try because so much is subsidized by tithing, but it's a down year and this is the year to get more $ if any. i've been shameless everywhere else.

Pm'd you.

And yeah, the competitive thing is scary. I actually looked at the princton review for that category, and none of the schools listed are what you would have expected. No T14s made the list, so it makes you wonder how "competitive" is actually defined.

It makes sense that BYU is more competitive that T14 because if your at HYS its almost a lock that you will get your desired employment outcome. The rest of the T14 not as much but as long as you get above median. At BYU only a few students get big law,fed clerkships, ect. and many more want these positions than are available to BYU students which leads to the immense competition for those positions.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Nickg415 wrote:It makes sense that BYU is more competitive that T14 because if your at HYS its almost a lock that you will get your desired employment outcome. The rest of the T14 not as much but as long as you get above median. At BYU only a few students get big law,fed clerkships, ect. and many more want these positions than are available to BYU students which leads to the immense competition for those positions.

I've actually made it a point to talk to several current and past JRC law students, and most of them attested to the intense competition. I bet a lot of is attributable to the fact that LDS students are inherently diligent and studious... once you put several hundred of us under the same roof in a naturally competitive law school environment, insane competition is bound to ensue. The scary part is that even though the competition is heightened, the stakes are high as well (i.e., there are a small number of decent jobs up for grabs).

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 pm

byu seat deposit paid, withdrawn from all but one other school. this is nerve racking.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:byu seat deposit paid, withdrawn from all but one other school. this is nerve racking.

Yikes.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:07 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:byu seat deposit paid, withdrawn from all but one other school. this is nerve racking.

Did you pay it online? I was looking into the process and it looks like you have to have a BYU ID or something.

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:18 pm

yodamiked wrote:

Did you pay it online? I was looking into the process and it looks like you have to have a BYU ID or something.

i followed the link that was in the email from "gradstudies."

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:17 am

jimmy_dean wrote:
yodamiked wrote:

i followed the link that was in the email from "gradstudies."

Never got that email. I sent an email to get info.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:48 am

I take it your negotiations yielded some fruit?

BYU2015

Postby BYU2015 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:26 pm

As a current student 1L I can tell you there is not much competition in our class, that I have seen. Lots of students do get here early and leave late, but it is not a cut throat environment. I have yet to see anyone unwilling to help another or try to lead someone astray.

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:31 pm

http://newbyulawstudent.byu.edu/

does anyone know what the password for this website is or what its content is?

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:http://newbyulawstudent.byu.edu/

does anyone know what the password for this website is or what its content is?

PM'd.

snd1988

Postby snd1988 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm a 1L here and can speak to the competitiveness a little bit. First, it isn't competitive in the same way other schools are...no one is stealing your notebook or refusing to study with you...it's competitive because BYU gets a lot of people who SHOULD be in T14 schools but come here for the price, community, ect...so it's competitive because everyone is really intelligent and talented, so the curve is very tight. Also, people work hard because they have other incentives (like having a family they will need to provide for). But my experience is that people are very willing to help. I was bed-ridden for two weeks and I had NUMEROUS people offer me their notes, outlines, ect. I find the students here to be kind, supportive, and helpful and it's only competitive because everyone works really hard. That being said, some of the other classes HAVE had problems with more "back-stabbing" competitiveness. That being said, it's really up to you and the rest of your class how you CHOOSE to treat one another and interact. But the people who are "competitive" in the scary sense are the exception, not the rule.

Hope that helps!

snd1988

Postby snd1988 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Also...very few people are here for 12 hours a day, though around finals time (like right now) you see people here all hours of the day/night. But you have to remember...grades matter for the top 10% of students who are going to be competing for "the same 10 jobs"...but if working in a big firm or academia or getting a prestigious clerkship right out of law school is not something you dream about...don't worry about it. Half of you won't have a rank because you'll fall at or below the median...it's just the nature of the game. But from talking to 2L and 3Ls, very few employers question your GPA UNLESS you're going out for those jobs that require being in the top 10 or 15% of your class. I am not ranked that high and had no issues finding work for the summer.

snd1988

Postby snd1988 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm

BYU2015 wrote:As a current student 1L I can tell you there is not much competition in our class, that I have seen. Lots of students do get here early and leave late, but it is not a cut throat environment. I have yet to see anyone unwilling to help another or try to lead someone astray.

^What they said. :)

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:29 pm

snd1988 wrote:

Also...very few people are here for 12 hours a day, though around finals time (like right now) you see people here all hours of the day/night. But you have to remember...grades matter for the top 10% of students who are going to be competing for "the same 10 jobs"...but if working in a big firm or academia or getting a prestigious clerkship right out of law school is not something you dream about...don't worry about it. Half of you won't have a rank because you'll fall at or below the median...it's just the nature of the game. But from talking to 2L and 3Ls, very few employers question your GPA UNLESS you're going out for those jobs that require being in the top 10 or 15% of your class. I am not ranked that high and had no issues finding work for the summer.

Thanks for the insight. This is probably the most honest depiction of BYU Law I've heard.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”