Seattle University c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paul554

New

Re: Seattle University c/o 2016

Post by paul554 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 am

donnabert wrote: senseless rambling
I'm from WA state and I was a police officer for several years. I testified monthly in court and worked with graduates from the major schools in the area. First, no one is impressed that you volunteered and attended court. Anyone can go to the court house and sit in on proceedings, they are open to the public. Second, law school has a forced curve, are you really so shocked that it applied to you and that you weren't a unique special snowflake? Guess what, half the class will finish in the lower 50% it is basic math!

Seattle U is not the best school by far but I'm not attending there and don't have much of a dog in this race. If you want to constructively critique the place you can, but all you offer is nonsense and personal opinion about how hard it was for you. If your paying sticker to go here yeah you should probably reconsider. A large scholorship with no stipulations other then Good standing and a REALISTIC outlook on career prospects though can equal success even for a school such as this. I suppose though it shouldn't shock me that a middle of the class student with such an outlook can't even craft a coherent argument supporting their main idea based on facts and not just personal bias.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 am

donnabert wrote: No wonder they went from number 20 to 102 on US News and World.
What.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Fri May 10, 2013 9:20 am

paul554 wrote:
donnabert wrote: senseless rambling
I'm from WA state and I was a police officer for several years. I testified monthly in court and worked with graduates from the major schools in the area. First, no one is impressed that you volunteered and attended court. Anyone can go to the court house and sit in on proceedings, they are open to the public. Second, law school has a forced curve, are you really so shocked that it applied to you and that you weren't a unique special snowflake? Guess what, half the class will finish in the lower 50% it is basic math!

Seattle U is not the best school by far but I'm not attending there and don't have much of a dog in this race. If you want to constructively critique the place you can, but all you offer is nonsense and personal opinion about how hard it was for you. If your paying sticker to go here yeah you should probably reconsider. A large scholorship with no stipulations other then Good standing and a REALISTIC outlook on career prospects though can equal success even for a school such as this. I suppose though it shouldn't shock me that a middle of the class student with such an outlook can't even craft a coherent argument supporting their main idea based on facts and not just personal bias.

Magnalum

New

Post by Magnalum » Fri May 10, 2013 10:06 am

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am

Man what a fantastic read.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 10, 2013 10:13 am

donnabert wrote:Even my best friend who I worked with so we could both get in (she graduated first) I can't stand (she's working for banks in bankruptcies against poor people - way to go Hilary!).
I don't think you have a firm grasp on what bankruptcy is or how it works....

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:07 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Fri May 10, 2013 11:49 am

hoos89 wrote:
donnabert wrote:Attended Seattle University School of Law 2007-2010
I only applied to Seattle U, and got in (my husband works locally at Microsoft so I couldn't go anywhere else since UW doesn't admit very many from within state).
Haha what? You couldn't go there because you didn't have the numbers, not because they don't admit Washington applicants.
Wow how did I miss this? This is pure gold.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JaviSTB

Silver

Post by JaviSTB » Fri May 10, 2013 3:31 pm

From her LinkedIn, seems she's working on writing a book.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 10, 2013 3:44 pm

JaviSTB

Silver

Post by JaviSTB » Fri May 10, 2013 3:48 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
JaviSTB12 wrote:From her LinkedIn, seems she's working on writing a book.

About how shitty and psychopathic we all are here, or something else?
Nah, I bet that would be a hoot. She has some good psychopathic, snow flake material going on here. Apparently, about small law firms and the clemency process in WA. She looks like she's in her early 30's. Explains so much.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:11 pm

donnabert wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:Honestly, and I am sorry to say this, but it sounds like you just couldn't cut it.
Yeah, read some articles about me and how I couldn't cut it. What I couldn't cut was self-interested psychopaths trying to bring me down 24/7, and no, life is not usually like that. I'm a self-starter who DOES things and LOVES people. Law students cheat off each other (I saw it and was asked to participate, which I didn't. Our student speaker at our graduation can't take the BAR because he was caught cheating during law school. Yes, he's their hero. The cheater.) Lawyers do nothing but cheat off each other and copy each other's briefs and then charge their clients for 20 hours when their secretary spent 1 hour on it.

You are right, I don't fit in with those types. Thank god. My name is Donna Larsen, so you can pick me out of the articles/videos done about me. Here are two:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... en16m.html

--LinkRemoved--!

I was in court more before law school then most people are after.

Part of my law school essay with more accomplishments:

My desire to make a difference in the world led me to a volunteer opportunity in 2001. I came across an opening with the Lane County District Attorney’s office to be a crime victim advocate. (Lane County, Oregon has one of the most progressive crime victim advocate offices in the country.) Because I have always been interested in the legal system, I applied and went through their training. For two years I worked between eight and sixteen hours a week as a volunteer crime victim advocate. I felt a great deal of satisfaction helping crime victims navigate the legal system. I worked in every department, including protection order court, where I helped people fill out their paperwork and went in front of the judge with them. I helped victims of every sort of crime fill out crime victim compensation forms. I went to court with the victims or, if they could not attend, in their place. I informed victims of the whereabouts of the perpetrator of their crime if he or she had been released from jail. When a file was assigned to me, I became the liaison between the victim and the attorney, leaving the attorney free to focus on the case. I progressed from handling shoplifting to domestic violence to burglary and rape cases during the two years that I volunteered there.

I told my husband how happy I was working as a crime victim advocate and said that I might want to do it professionally. I especially enjoyed going to court and trials. He suggested that I go to law school and become an attorney. I told him I felt I was too old to begin working towards something that big because I did not even have a bachelor’s degree at the time. He replied that I was not too old. I mentioned this idea to a few friends, and they all encouraged me to work towards law school. I was reminded of something my father told me when I was young: “To be blessed with a talent and not share that talent with the world is the greatest sin,” and I was also reminded of the man who dove into the Potomac to save the drowning woman and recommitted myself to improving society. Because I have a talent and a love for helping people navigate through the legal system, I believe that becoming an attorney would be the best use of my life.

To further familiarize myself with the legal system (and about a year into earning my bachelor’s degree), I decided to start a website called trialdiary.com where I would blog about trials I attended, so the public could read about how the legal system worked. A friend of mine, Hilary Mohr, was also interested in the project so we created the website together. To start, we decided to attend the triple-murder trial of Sebastian Burns and Atif Rafay. We attended the trial almost daily, from the opening statements through the conviction and sentencing. The trial lasted six months, and trialdiary.com garnered a lot of media attention during that time. The Seattle Times published an article about us, which was picked up by the Associated Press and reported nationally and internationally. We appeared on KOMO 4 News, the Q13 Fox Morning News, and Catherine Crier Live on Court TV to talk about the website and the trial itself. The experience confirmed my belief that I want to become an attorney. Not surprisingly, Hilary is currently in her third year at the Seattle University School of Law.

I received an Associate of Arts degree from Bellevue Community College (BCC) with a concentration in philosophy. My GPA at BCC earned me membership in Phi Theta Kappa, the International Honor Society for two-year colleges. Of my courses at BCC, I enjoyed logic the most. I found it stimulating to turn an argument into a math problem in order to solve it. I hoped that logic would be a powerful tool I could use to solve complex social problems when I became an attorney. My philosophy professors did not share my enthusiasm for logic. Even while teaching it, they insisted it had no intrinsic value and seemed to treat the subject more like a parlor trick than a science. However, with their encouragement, I became the president of the Philosophy Club and took other philosophy classes, which gave me an expanded introduction to the history of law and order, the theories that inspired the creation of modern government, and the ethics that are valued in a democratic society. I am particularly interested in John Rawls’ Original Position and the implications it has for protecting those who are most vulnerable in society.

I am working toward a bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences with a concentration in political economy, which I will finish in the spring of 2007; I am currently on the Dean’s List due to my GPA. I stumbled into this concentration by accident but have been consistently fascinated by the classes I have taken. These classes have taught me both the economic theory and the political reality that help explain major world events, the acquisition of power, and the most complex social issues we face today. My education in philosophy has taught me how the world should be, but political economy has taught me how the world really is. The knowledge I have acquired from the two different disciplines has influenced me to make the world more the way it should be because my goal is to make the world a better place than I found it.
I chose to apply to the Seattle University School of Law because I feel that your program offers the professional skills and knowledge I need to reach out and help those in society who need it the most; the professional atmosphere and emphasis on a quality education at your institution appeals to me. In addition, I have researched your law classes and am pleased to find that you have the best legal writing course in the country. In conclusion, I believe that attending the Seattle University School of Law will help me help others.
QFP

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Fri May 10, 2013 4:20 pm

donnabert is mostly tldr. However, as a current SU student I would like to respond. Nearly everything she has complained of (the curve, grades based on a single exam) could be said about ANY law school from the top 14 to tttt. You know this going in.

The school does have a very active criminal justice society and a new prosecutors club was just started. There are a number of clubs and organizations on campus that do the type of work donnabert claims we psychopaths don't care about.

Every professor I have has been very receptive to meeting with students. They have regular office hours and are more than willing to meet with you out of office hours if you schedule an appointment. In addition each class has a TA or two and they are always available and responsive to questions.

Regarding the grading of exams, every one of my teachers has spent an entire class after the exams going over what they were looking for and how they graded then if you have specific questions about your exam you can get a copy of your answers and meet with them one-on-one. They will not spoon feed you however, they want you to take the feedback they gave everyone in class, evaluate your own work and go to them with specific questions.

This applies to class as well, law school is not undergrad. The professors are not there to hold your hand and walk you through all the information. You do the reading and for the most part teach yourself the basic information and then you come to class and the teacher questions the ideas and theories you have formulated. The are teaching you to THINK LIKE A LAWYER! This is the socratic method.

As to the fall in rankings, that has to do with the legal market in Seattle not the quality of the school and its professors. Seattle is an insular market and SU remains a strong regional school, but the legal market in Seattle is relatively small and firms have taken hits over the past few years and there have been gov hiring freezes so employment numbers are down. That being said if you wish to practice in Seattle, which is a beautiful city then you really only have 3 choices- SU, UW, or a T14. SU has a strong alumni base and even at large firms SU students stand out for their legal writing skills.

Personally, I have found SU to be a wonderful school. Honestly I did not have the numbers to get into UW, and I couldn't move out of the region for family reasons, but I hav the grades to transfer to UW or a t14 now and I most likely wont because of how much I enjoy the school and the students. The course work is intense but there are plenty of opportunities for socializing and letting loose. You will all become big fans of the Chieftain!!!!!!

If you are worried about the job market (which you should be) CPD helps as much as they can but you really have to take responsibility for yourself! You have to network and hustle. You can start this now if you live in the area or are coming to visit look up some alumni who practice in a field you are interested in and invite them out to coffee. When you come to visit actually talk to current students, every time I see a 0L they sit in the class for the visit rush through the tour and disappear don't be afraid to start chattin ppl up 2Ls will be one of your best assets for outlines, exam tips etc...Honestly you HAVE to take responsibility for yourself you cant just sit back and expect Perkins or K&L recruiters to be waiting at the Sidebar(coffee bar in the school) begging for your resume, but you can do this without being a dick gunner, so dont be a gunner.

We are in finals now but if anyone is thinking about coming to the school send me a message and ill come shoot the shit with you and give you some of the insider intel and I will be at spring visit day for those of you attending.

ALSO DONT BE A FUCKING GUNNER IN CLASS EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm

This thread is for members of the Seattle University class of 2016, people considering Seattle U, and current/former students of Seattle U who want to assist those in the first two groups in their transition to Seattle. It isn't a forum for dissuading people from attending, venting about how much you hate the law, or the merits of law school generally; we have a number of forums for that. Anyone looking to derail this thread further, take a hike and let it serve its purpose.

donnabert

New

Post by donnabert » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:This thread is for members of the Seattle University class of 2016, people considering Seattle U, and current/former students of Seattle U who want to assist those in the first two groups in their transition to Seattle. It isn't a forum for dissuading people from attending, venting about how much you hate the law, or the merits of law school generally; we have a number of forums for that. Anyone looking to derail this thread further, take a hike and let it serve its purpose.
Hey cop, eat a donut.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”