UIUC Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AMilfordMan

Re: UIUC Class of 2016

Postby AMilfordMan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:09 pm

Burne182 wrote:To those who went to ASD: any thoughts? Wish I could have made it.

It was good. The deans, professors, and current students were all incredibly friendly, and it seemed to be a nurturing rather than cutthroat atmosphere.

There was a lot of emphasis on new initiatives like the Chicago program and a newly beefed up career services office. They were very direct when asked about the rankings and quick to point out how these new initiatives were put in place before the drop and meant to bolster the school and students in categories that might have led in part to the USNWR rankings drop.

In short, it seemed like a world-class school headed in the right direction rather than on a downward spiral.

Burne182

Postby Burne182 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
Burne182 wrote:To those who went to ASD: any thoughts? Wish I could have made it.

It was good. The deans, professors, and current students were all incredibly friendly, and it seemed to be a nurturing rather than cutthroat atmosphere.

There was a lot of emphasis on new initiatives like the Chicago program and a newly beefed up career services office. They were very direct when asked about the rankings and quick to point out how these new initiatives were put in place before the drop and meant to bolster the school and students in categories that might have led in part to the USNWR rankings drop.

In short, it seemed like a world-class school headed in the right direction rather than on a downward spiral.

Thanks! That's great news... I'm not surprised, based on my non-ASD visit, but it's great to hear you too still have confidence in the school. Are you leaning towards UIUC?

Also, this is random since I thought I knew the answer, but did they say anything about those alumni-interview scholarships? Did I miss something there?

illini22

Postby illini22 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 pm

3L here, if any of you have any questions, ask.

ivonmx

Postby ivonmx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm

illini22 wrote:3L here, if any of you have any questions, ask.

Thanks for showing up. I have 2 questions if you don't mind.

1. How strong is UIUC's IP program?
2. How many international students are in the JD classroom? (There are probably a lot in LLM program.)

illini22

Postby illini22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 pm

ivonmx wrote:

Thanks for showing up. I have 2 questions if you don't mind.

1. How strong is UIUC's IP program?
2. How many international students are in the JD classroom? (There are probably a lot in LLM program.)

1) IP program is actually pretty strong because of the U of I engineering. A lot of U of I engineers end up here so the school has a lot of IP classes and actually a lot of IP scholarships once you are in school. Also because of the overall U of I reputation in sciences and engineering, they hire a lot of U of I IP. I actually do not know anybody who is patent eligible without a job. That is like your golden ticket.

2) There arent that many. My class (2013) has about 6 international students and about 100 LLMS, 5 exchange students and like 10 JSDs which I think are all foreign too. U of I as a whole is the second most international school in the country, but that is just not as reflected on the JD students. From my knowledge of other schools, that is pretty standard, not that many international students in JD programs because that pretty much means you are staying in the country, and if you have a JD somewhere else, most people go for the LLM. (we do have one guy who has a JD from abroad and is doing the JD again here, and i know 2Ls that are in the same boat).

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Based on what you've seen, how's the job outlook for Class of 2013?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:48 pm

john7234797 wrote:

Ready to lol here

illini22

Postby illini22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
john7234797 wrote:

Ready to lol here

Hard to say, I think it is better than the Class of 2012, which itself was better than the Class of 2011 (which was shit). I think the people without jobs are a lot louder than those with one, so it is hard to see percentage wise who has one and who doesnt. Also, it has become a thing that people who get jobs do not really tell everyone outside of their close group of friends because they do not want to be seen as assholes about it. I think that out of the recruiting season (Fall of 2L year) about 25% got a job for after graduation, which is mainly the big law jobs/ IP boutiques, some, but very few government ones. Then the rest is hard to say, I have heard things like 35% has a job already, to 60% has a job already, depending on who you ask. I do know that in the past two weeks things have picked up considerably, from pretty much a dead zone, to a few people within my circle of friends offers/interviews. The University also posted some of its "own jobs" ranging from public interest fellowships where you get a job at a public defender/prosecutor and they give you a 2k stipend for 1 year and other to work in-house for the U of I office of univeristy counsel in both Chicago and Champaign, making 36k a year salary. Some people are offended by this type of jobs, others see them as a great opportunity for people who want to get 1 year experience in areas that are pretty hard to get out of law school such as public interest jobs and in-house counsel.

I will tell you this. After the 2L recruiting, which is 80% based on grades, who gets a job is mainly who works harder at it. I know many of my classmates do not have jobs because either 1) they turn down opportunities at an earlier period because they thought "they could do better" and 2) some people are just not working hard enough at it and just say "ill look after the bar when things pick up." True, a lot of the hiring if done after the bar, but SOME hiring is done during 3L year. Within my close group of friends there are 3 people that got jobs (1 big law, 1 midsize firms that pays market, 1 clerkship) just in the Spring of 3L year.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:14 am

Just withdrew. Good luck everyone! :)

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:59 pm

I know it's been a while since 1L, but over the course of your time in law school, what would you say your average expenses were on books and supplies? I've been trying to budget for the next 3 years and the $1800 they suggest for books doesn't seem that far fetched, but I'm curious to know what you or other students think about expenses beyond tuition/fees/COL.

illiniguy1551

Postby illiniguy1551 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Has anyone done an individual visit? If so, how was it?!

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:07 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:

I know it's been a while since 1L, but over the course of your time in law school, what would you say your average expenses were on books and supplies? I've been trying to budget for the next 3 years and the $1800 they suggest for books doesn't seem that far fetched, but I'm curious to know what you or other students think about expenses beyond tuition/fees/COL.

First semester 1l year each case book was like 100-200 bucks and I bought them all new. I probably spent like 500 bucks on books that first semester. That sucked. After that I bought used books for as cheap as possible and spent less than a hundred bucks each semester.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:24 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:

First semester 1l year each case book was like 100-200 bucks and I bought them all new. I probably spent like 500 bucks on books that first semester. That sucked. After that I bought used books for as cheap as possible and spent less than a hundred bucks each semester.

I'm sure a lot of it is preference, but having pre-marked up case books isn't a problem? I'm not much of a highlighter, but law school will likely be a bit different than reading for UG.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:

I'm sure a lot of it is preference, but having pre-marked up case books isn't a problem? I'm not much of a highlighter, but law school will likely be a bit different than reading for UG.

I wouldn't do it for the first semester when you're just learning to read cases. But by second semester you know how to read cases and you can just ignore whatever marks are in there. It might be personal preference but I don't know a single person who ever regretted buying used

blackie5

Postby blackie5 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:29 pm

I know there have been several posts in the past about this ....

Did anyone at all get any response/interview for the U of I scholarships (public service, IP, Morrill Scholars Program).
I though they wanted to give response before the deposit deadline... but so far... I have not heard anything since submitting.

Anyone have any news?

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 pm

blackie5 wrote:I know there have been several posts in the past about this ....

Did anyone at all get any response/interview for the U of I scholarships (public service, IP, Morrill Scholars Program).
I though they wanted to give response before the deposit deadline... but so far... I have not heard anything since submitting.

Anyone have any news?

It's my understanding they are closer to doing the public service interviews than the others. Not sure exactly how it will go down, but I'm sure all of those full-rides floating around would be game changers to people that haven deposited yet.

jhertirac

Postby jhertirac » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Just submitted the first seating deposit. I couldn't be happier with the decision. and on 50% tuition, let's see if I can get more scholarships though!

Does not hurt to ask.

Good luck everyone!

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 pm

john7234797 wrote:

Ready to lol here

:lol:

Didn't disappoint.

Sillygoose31

Postby Sillygoose31 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Is anyone brave enough to make a Facebook group for those planning on attending?

dewdawn

Postby dewdawn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Sillygoose31 wrote:Is anyone brave enough to make a Facebook group for those planning on attending?

that person should be determined enough, too

dewdawn

Postby dewdawn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:16 pm

jhertirac wrote:Just submitted the first seating deposit. I couldn't be happier with the decision. and on 50% tuition, let's see if I can get more scholarships though!

Does not hurt to ask.

Good luck everyone!

They are really quick in scholarship negotiation! Good luck!

jhertirac

Postby jhertirac » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm

dewdawn wrote:
Sillygoose31 wrote:Is anyone brave enough to make a Facebook group for those planning on attending?

I will.. but I need some members to add lol

dewdawn

Postby dewdawn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:42 pm

jhertirac wrote:
dewdawn wrote:

you need some members and i need some numbers ($) :)

jhertirac

Postby jhertirac » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:29 pm

dewdawn wrote:
jhertirac wrote:
dewdawn wrote:

you need some members and i need some numbers ($) :)

Haaa! I am right there with you!

University of Illinois College of Law Class of 2016 is now an official Facebook group and page!
Last edited by jhertirac on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Do you have a link to the group? Too lazy to search on my phone...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”