UIUC Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ludo!

Re: UIUC Class of 2016

Postby Ludo! » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Why is the list of what to do secret? I wanna know. I've lived here for 3 years and I couldn't even think of what to tell her

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:06 pm

By popular demand, I'll make a more comprehensive post tonight and put it up.

Also, I motion for an OP overthrow. I'd be willing to put together a more informative post.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:09 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:By popular demand, I'll make a more comprehensive post tonight and put it up.

Also, I motion for an OP overthrow. I'd be willing to put together a more informative post.

Well, it might just be easier for me to ask the OP to update. I'm afraid of tinkering with the TLS gods.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:22 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:By popular demand, I'll make a more comprehensive post tonight and put it up.

I'm all for overthrows.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Also does anyone have any experience negotiating $$? I got the 50% scholarship but the 75% would be nice...I was thinking maybe I could talk to the Dean about that when I visit?

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:31 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:

I'm all for overthrows.

Wannabe, no one is safe in a thread with you.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:37 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:Also does anyone have any experience negotiating $$? I got the 50% scholarship but the 75% would be nice...I was thinking maybe I could talk to the Dean about that when I visit?

I'd love to know more about this too as I pertains specifically to UIUC. Obviously though, as with any school, it will depend on what you have to leverage with. You'll probably have the best luck closer to the deposit deadline when they are scrambling to maintain medians.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 pm

For those planning a visit, I give you a hopefully useful guide of how to spend your time in CU.

Tour the campus
While Champaign-Urbana is a smaller town than many people are used to, the university itself is without a doubt a world-class research institution. Definitely take the chance to get out and explore and try to appreciate CU for the miniature cosmopolitan hub of activity that it is. The whole “metro” area is less than 250k people, but there are a huge variety of cultures represented on campus.
For reference, the law school is on the southern edge of campus, close to the stadiums, workout facility (ARC), and freshman dorms. If you walk one block east from the law school and work your way north, you will go through the south quad, main quad, engineering/Bardeen quad, and northern/Beckman quad.
The part of town you might want to avoid starts just north of the Beckman quad. While there isn’t a lot of crime in CU, it’s still best to stay south of University Ave.

Go to local restaurants and bars
Right along with CU being a tiny cosmo hub, it has more than enough restaurant choices to get by. Recommendations:
Thai - Siam Terrace, Urbana
Indian - Bombay Grill, Champaign
Chinese - Golden Harbor, Champaign
Mexican - Mas Amigos, Urbana
BBQ - Black Dog, Urbana
Burgers/fries - Seven Saints, Champaign and Crane Alley, Urbana
Breakfast - Courier Cafe, Urbana
Italian - Mia Za’s, Champaign
Sushi - KoFusion, Champaign does $1 sushi on Sunday and Monday
Random:
Desthil - Champaign does good fusion/high end/comfort food
Radio Maria - Champaign for tapas
Bacaro - the only $$$$ place in town
Bars:

Bro bars, undergrads, cheap drinks:
Joe’s, Firehaus, Brothers
Hipster:
Murphy’s
Sports and/or casual:
Legend’s, Guido’s, Esquire, Quality, Crane Alley, The Blind Pig and The Blind Pig Brewery***

***Likely the most popular bars for 21-30 year olds

Visit a few study locations[]
If you have a lot of time to kill during your visit, maybe spend some of it doing what you’ll likely be doing in law school; studying/reading/browsing the internet at a library or coffee shop. For starters, the campus has an Espresso Royale at nearly every corner and downtown Champaign has Cafe Kopi.

Look at housing

Champaign
All of the many frats/sororities are between: Gregory - 1st Street - Wright - Springfield. Housing tends to be pricey in this region due to proximity to class and bars.
North of Springfield: Cheap, cheap, cheap. Lots of UG engineers and foreign students in this part of town. The places aren’t the nicest, but they are on bus routes and the closest to County Market (the most convenient campus grocery store). Again, don’t go any further north than University Ave.
West of 1st Street: Lot’s of grad students. Prices vary. Mostly old houses turned into apts

Urbana
North of Florida, East of Lincoln, West of Vine, and South of University (the “state streets”….Illinois, Pennsylvania, etc.) is often on the more expensive side, but it is a very quiet, nice area. In general, Urbana is thought of as the more liberal, bike friendly, farmer’s market part of town. And it is. Hardwood floors, radiator heat, plenty of trees.
North of University is still not good.
East of Vine can get sort of far away and sketchy at times.
South of Florida is much more non-student residential. I wouldn’t expect to find much here, but it’s generally a nice area so long as you stay west of Philo road.

Savoy
Driving distance or a long bus ride. Cheap, quiet, and far away from everything. While that might not sound like a ringing endorsement, there are really some nice places in Savoy for a reasonable price. If you don’t mind the commute, it is worth looking into.

I hope this helps those preparing for a visit in the near future. Feel free to ask any more questions you might have.
Last edited by AMilfordMan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 am

Solid list bro, if a little UG heavy. For restaurants I would add Black Dog, that's the best restaurant in town by far. If you could only eat at one place I'd go with black dog. Great beer selection too. Other places worth checking out are Maize, Big Grove, bacaro and golden harbor.

For bars if blind pigs are too busy, check out Quality, that's also a great bar. I don't think there's anything really hipstery about the blind pigs either, that's where most law students hang out

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 am

Certainly not comprehensive, so I welcome all feedback for edits!
+1 to all of that.
I'll out myself as a vegetarian only so that even I can endorse Black Dog BBQ as incredible.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:58 pm

God. I've been blowing this page up mostly by myself.

Any word of a C/O 2016 Facebook group?

ArianFosterNation

Postby ArianFosterNation » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 am

Does anyone have any insight in regards to the WL? As someone on the waitlist, I dont have as to what to expect in April.

dmwelch29

Postby dmwelch29 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 pm

File under review since 2/13..URM 162, 3.2 (Public Ivy). Still waiting (anxiously) to hear back. Illinois my top choice. When do you all think the next rounds of admits are going out?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:Does anyone have any insight in regards to the WL? As someone on the waitlist, I dont have as to what to expect in April.

Is your username your real name? Did your parents actually name you Arian Nation?

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
ArianFosterNation wrote:Does anyone have any insight in regards to the WL? As someone on the waitlist, I dont have as to what to expect in April.

Is your username your real name? Did your parents actually name you Arian Nation?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arian-Fo ... ts&fref=ts

Maybe??

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 pm

dmwelch29 wrote:File under review since 2/13..URM 162, 3.2 (Public Ivy). Still waiting (anxiously) to hear back. Illinois my top choice. When do you all think the next rounds of admits are going out?

It seems like Mondays have been popular. Mine was 3 Mondays after going UR.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:54 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arian-Fo ... ts&fref=ts

Maybe??

damn so disappoint

dmwelch29

Postby dmwelch29 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:09 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
dmwelch29 wrote:File under review since 2/13..URM 162, 3.2 (Public Ivy). Still waiting (anxiously) to hear back. Illinois my top choice. When do you all think the next rounds of admits are going out?

Oh so it looks like this coming Monday could be judgement day for me!!

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:37 pm

dmwelch29 wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:

Oh so it looks like this coming Monday could be judgement day for me!!

I'm not so sure 3 weeks is a rule, it was just my experience. Their website says they do admissions work on Fridays, so I'm guessing they work on decision and release them Monday.

However, today is unofficial St. Patrick's day on campus. Campus is such a nightmare that sometimes nonessential personnel take the day off so they don't have to drive to campus. Luckily, the law school should still be accessible. Hold out for Monday everyone!

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Thank you for reminding me about unofficial. Gotta steer clear of campus today

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Just got my sweet space-age envelope with the flash drive. Definitely the coolest swag via mail from my cycle.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:54 am

AMilfordMan wrote:Just got my sweet space-age envelope with the flash drive. Definitely the coolest swag via mail from my cycle.

The flash drive is beautiful but could they not have something other than the admitted students site? i was hoping for sth more exciting haha

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:52 am

I thought the same. WUSTL loaded there's with tons of valuable info. UIUC...just a link to a website I've already been to.

I guess if I should maybe be thankful that UIUC left more room for loading my own stuff on?

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I found this 1L Survival Guide for UIUC this weekend:
--LinkRemoved--

It seems like a pretty good resource!

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:12 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:Just got my sweet space-age envelope with the flash drive. Definitely the coolest swag via mail from my cycle.

The flash drive is beautiful but could they not have something other than the admitted students site? i was hoping for sth more exciting haha

Yeah what was that?? I'm pretty sure 110% of admitted students have scoured the website before getting the flash drive.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”