UIUC Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JXander

Re: UIUC Class of 2016

Postby JXander » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

I think this percentage thing is very interesting, but it seems to imply that they aren't very keen to the idea of negotiating scholarships. I mean, how do you negotiate a 25% scholarship if the next offer level is a 25% increase?

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 pm

JXander wrote:I think this percentage thing is very interesting, but it seems to imply that they aren't very keen to the idea of negotiating scholarships. I mean, how do you negotiate a 25% scholarship if the next offer level is a 25% increase?

I was wondering the same thing...Anyone know if people last year had luck negotiating schollies?

ks2499

Postby ks2499 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:
JXander wrote:I think this percentage thing is very interesting, but it seems to imply that they aren't very keen to the idea of negotiating scholarships. I mean, how do you negotiate a 25% scholarship if the next offer level is a 25% increase?

I was wondering the same thing...Anyone know if people last year had luck negotiating schollies?

I think by the end of the cycle, they were making big increases. I think the scholarship email also said that some people would be receiving specific amounts instead of percentages, so I wouldn't assume that would be an impediment to negotiating. I think they realize they're going to have to continue to try to buy their medians this year. Just my opinion though.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:40 pm

It's also an interesting scheme because the scholarship only covers tuition, but when you look at the COA, the fees (which it seems aren't covered) add up to over 10k for three years. That's a pretty heft sum still even if you had a full ride.

pahuber2

Postby pahuber2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 am

In w/ 75% today -- 164/3.6 UIUC alum w/ solid softs and good LORs

hi21

Postby hi21 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:00 am

Waitlisted.

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:04 am

Last edited by mohanster on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Well since I have basically the same deal from Indiana and (unless I read the letter wrong) Notre Dame I would hope they'd be willing to negotiate. Those are the schools they need to poach #s from, no?

mosquito

Postby mosquito » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi, is there anyone who knows the deadline of Morrill Scholarship application and the length requirement of the application essay for this scholarship?

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:02 pm

This thread needs a bit more action. I'm willing to suggest some topics:

-How does everyone feel about the prospect of living in CU?
-While everyone hopefully knows that the USNWR rankings are garbage, how would it affect your decision if UIUC took another big fall this year? Say, down to the mid-40s.
-And last but not least, the LST numbers are a bit less than compelling http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=illinois; 20% unemployment is worse than most of UIUCs peer schools. How are people handling those numbers in their decision making?

Despite the negatives, UIUC remains near the top of my list. I'm interested to find out where other people stand.

Aaaaand go.

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:45 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:This thread needs a bit more action. I'm willing to suggest some topics:

-While everyone hopefully knows that the USNWR rankings are garbage, how would it affect your decision if UIUC took another big fall this year? Say, down to the mid-40s.
-And last but not least, the LST numbers are a bit less than compelling http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=illinois; 20% unemployment is worse than most of UIUCs peer schools. How are people handling those numbers in their decision making?

Despite the negatives, UIUC remains near the top of my list. I'm interested to find out where other people stand.

Aaaaand go.

Why will it go below 40? Assuming you have a reason for it and not just spitballing.

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:48 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:This thread needs a bit more action. I'm willing to suggest some topics:

Aaaaand go.

1. CU freaks me out. never been but from what i heard :shock: :shock: :shock:

2. being in the 40s would suck, but for a full ride - doesn't matter.

3. http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/20 ... tatistics/ beating a lot of peer schools. and then some

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm

mohanster wrote:

Aaaaand go.

Why will it go below 40? Assuming you have a reason for it and not just spitballing.

Just spitballing. As Jade pointed out, Illinois still does very well in NLJ250 placement, but overall employment statistics and 2015 medians are on par with new peers like Wisconsin and Ohio State. As I think someone has said on here before, I don't see UIUC dropping below Wisconsin or OSU so long as they maintain better NLJ placement, but crazier things have happened.

The flip side of this is that for someone like myself not necessarily gunning for biglaw, 20% unemployment is a pretty terrifying number compared to WashU 13.6%, Wisc 11%, ND 8.4%, OSU 7.4%.... If you aren't part of the 18% that have a shot at biglaw after 3 years are said and done, are you comfortable with where that leaves you? I think the answer depends largely on scholarships.

On a lighter note, I love CU. It's a really laid back place to spend what will definitely be a stressful 3 years. Plus, when the students are in town there is always something to do.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:23 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:Just spitballing. As Jade pointed out, Illinois still does very well in NLJ250 placement, but overall employment statistics and 2015 medians are on par with new peers like Wisconsin and Ohio State. As I think someone has said on here before, I don't see UIUC dropping below Wisconsin or OSU so long as they maintain better NLJ placement, but crazier things have happened.

The flip side of this is that for someone like myself not necessarily gunning for biglaw, 20% unemployment is a pretty terrifying number compared to WashU 13.6%, Wisc 11%, ND 8.4%, OSU 7.4%.... If you aren't part of the 18% that have a shot at biglaw after 3 years are said and done, are you comfortable with where that leaves you? I think the answer depends largely on scholarships.

On a lighter note, I love CU. It's a really laid back place to spend what will definitely be a stressful 3 years. Plus, when the students are in town there is always something to do.

Lurker here. Just my two cents: any drop in ranking this year, or even the original drop to 35, is most likely just the leftovers of the fall-out from Plessy's scandal. Even if it dips again this year (I don't think it will), the prestige and placement power of the law school won't be affected. Yes the scandal was a bit of a PR snafu, but people shouldn't be scared away because of a 1-2 year drop in ranking. If you have ties to Illinois, or you really want to work in Illinois, I think UIUC is an excellent option depending on your financial situation. (Assuming NU, Michigan, UChicago aren't viable options for you)

I know they lock your scholarship to match any tuition increases, which is really nice, and UIUC is very well regarded in Chicago/Illinois. FWIW I think UIUC's ranking will go up a few spots this year. They'll eventually recuperate their medians, and those don't matter anyway. It's placement and regional prestige that matter. There's no reason it should be ranked lower than schools like Indiana-Bloomington, Alabama, or Iowa in terms of those two more important factors.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:26 pm

On an unrelated note, anyone know what the best way to get to UC from CA is?? I'm debating between flying to Willard Airport (relatively pricey) or flying to Chicago (cheaper) and taking a bus of some sort to UC. I'd appreciate any help. :)

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:25 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:On an unrelated note, anyone know what the best way to get to UC from CA is?? I'm debating between flying to Willard Airport (relatively pricey) or flying to Chicago (cheaper) and taking a bus of some sort to UC. I'd appreciate any help. :)

It's always cheaper to fly into Indy or Chicago. Even if you rented a car and drove in it would be cheaper, but you can find ways to get here. I always find the best deals from LAX to OHare (not sure what part of CA youre from). Then I take the blue line from O'Hare to Union Station or the Greyhound Station and then take a train or a bus in to Champaign.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:39 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:On an unrelated note, anyone know what the best way to get to UC from CA is?? I'm debating between flying to Willard Airport (relatively pricey) or flying to Chicago (cheaper) and taking a bus of some sort to UC. I'd appreciate any help. :)

You might also look into flying into Bloomington (BMI) which is about 45 minutes away. Much closer than Chicago and it's a tiny airport so it's easy to get around. Still won't be as cheap as flying into ORD though; at which point you could do the bus/train option mentioned for the cheapest option.

mosquito

Postby mosquito » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 pm

Hi, is there anyone who knows the deadline of Morrill Scholarship application and the length requirement of the application essay for this scholarship?

pahuber2

Postby pahuber2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:30 pm

What is the price difference b/w willard and o'hare? I would do willard for the ease of not worrying about delays/transfers on the EL. In related news, if you are going on the March ASW send me a PM. I live in Chicago and I may be driving down for that.

fragrock

Postby fragrock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Just FYI - I am headed to the April 19 ASD and I called to ask about the tuition deposit being the same day... They said anyone who attends the April 19 ASD will have one additional week to put down a deposit. Seems reasonable.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 am

pahuber2 wrote:What is the price difference b/w willard and o'hare? I would do willard for the ease of not worrying about delays/transfers on the EL. In related news, if you are going on the March ASW send me a PM. I live in Chicago and I may be driving down for that.

thanks for the offer :) it's $250 v. $550ish. buti think in terms of time and convenience i'll go with willard. i'm planning on flying in on march 11th and then staying until that friday. of course planning on taking a tour and meeting with faculty but if anyone has specific ideas on how i should spend my time i'd sincerely appreciate it.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:
pahuber2 wrote:What is the price difference b/w willard and o'hare? I would do willard for the ease of not worrying about delays/transfers on the EL. In related news, if you are going on the March ASW send me a PM. I live in Chicago and I may be driving down for that.

thanks for the offer :) it's $250 v. $550ish. buti think in terms of time and convenience i'll go with willard. i'm planning on flying in on march 11th and then staying until that friday. of course planning on taking a tour and meeting with faculty but if anyone has specific ideas on how i should spend my time i'd sincerely appreciate it.

PM'd

topher44

Postby topher44 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:52 pm

If there is any way you could send that same pm to me it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be visiting around the same time actually March 8-11, so any suggestions as far as where I should be spending my time are needed. Thank you!

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 pm

topher44 wrote:If there is any way you could send that same pm to me it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be visiting around the same time actually March 8-11, so any suggestions as far as where I should be spending my time are needed. Thank you!

Done.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
topher44 wrote:If there is any way you could send that same pm to me it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be visiting around the same time actually March 8-11, so any suggestions as far as where I should be spending my time are needed. Thank you!

Done.

Hook me up too...why not

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”