UIUC Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ludo!

Gold

Re: UIUC Class of 2016

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:34 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:
chowiechow wrote:Waitlisted. Shocked given my numbers!
I guess you should've be too mad anymore. If the ranking rumors are true and UIUC dropped substantially, it may not be a school worth attending, employers may or may not be put off by the ranking drop.
BTW; what were the numbers?
lol at employers caring about the rankings

It's still probably not worth attending but not for that reason
I know employment and job placement are pretty sticky, and I know employers don't care very much about rankings, but wouldn't a scandal such as the one UIUC had negatively effect employment? What I'm saying is I think what happened effected employment/medians/prestige etc that's goes into the rankings, rather than the rankings alone effecting employment.
I doubt it. I was going through OCI when the scandal broke and people were curious but it didn't have any effect on my class or the class that just went through OCI. The people who do get jobs out of Illinois generally go to firms that have hired Illinois grads in the past and want to keep hiring from the school.

It might have an effect on employment in the long term, if the school keeps failing to attract decent classes and employers see a palpable decline in quality of lawyers they are getting from Illinois then maybe they will stop hiring from here. But employers aren't staying away because of the scandal and another drop in the rankings isn't gonna make much difference.

All that said, the employment score isn't very good here to begin with so you shouldn't come here unless you get a hefty scholarship and little other options

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:35 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:^ that is my reason for why I think that employers will run like the plague from UIUC for the drop all due to the scandal
nah thats dumb. the scandal already happened and we already dropped because of it. You think employers are going to hear about another drop and be like ok thats it no more hiring from there?

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:37 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:^ that is my reason for why I think that employers will run like the plague from UIUC for the drop all due to the scandal
nah thats dumb. the scandal already happened and we already dropped because of it. You think employers are going to hear about another drop and be like ok thats it no more hiring from there?
yeah, I guess you make a good point

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:45 pm

+1 UIUC will be fine.

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 pm

cusenation wrote:
+1 UIUC will be fine.
Most people should be more concerned with the state of the Chicago legal market than the USNWR ranking.

However, if you have a good scholarship and are considering going elsewhere due to USNWR, please feel free to withdraw and free up some more $$$$.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rshw89

New

Post by rshw89 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 pm

In with the 50% scholly today.

dmwelch29

New

Post by dmwelch29 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm

IN!! with 50% scholarship...SO happy!

sdmelzer

New

Post by sdmelzer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:43 pm

So. Inb4 dat ranking.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:22 pm

sdmelzer wrote:So. Inb4 dat ranking.
From 20-something-->47 in two years. Not lookin' good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
This numbers is much more important than 47:
USNWR wrote:Employed at graduation *36.3%

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
This numbers is much more important than 47:
USNWR wrote:Employed at graduation *36.3%
Yup. The drop is nothing to worry about. There was already plenty to worry about

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 pm

So.....pretty much.....rankings don't matter.....because the employment sucked anyways? Kinda sucks UIUC's biggest market is Chicago, which from what I hear, is a bloodbath right now.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:37 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:So.....pretty much.....rankings don't matter.....because the employment sucked anyways? Kinda sucks UIUC's biggest market is Chicago, which from what I hear, is a bloodbath right now.
this..... is..... correct.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:So.....pretty much.....rankings don't matter.....because the employment sucked anyways? Kinda sucks UIUC's biggest market is Chicago, which from what I hear, is a bloodbath right now.
And big rankings drops COULD SORTA matter, because everyone knows that the market is retrenching and that some schools will be hit harder than others and that the schools hit hard will have the bottom fall out from under them...and that means incredibly relaxed admissions standards and that's not something you want to be associated with going forward. None of these schools have a rock-solid reputation except the T10. For the rest, a few admissions cycles in this "brave new world" and reputations can forever be altered.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

manofjustice wrote:
And big rankings drops COULD SORTA matter, because everyone knows that the market is retrenching and that some schools will be hit harder than others and that the schools hit hard will have the bottom fall out from under them...and that means incredibly relaxed admissions standards and that's not something you want to be associated with going forward. None of these schools have a rock-solid reputation except the T10. For the rest, a few admissions cycles in this "brave new world" and reputations can forever be altered.
Oh god get the fuck out of here you retard

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 pm

manofjustice wrote:
Oh god get the fuck out of here you retard
You can leave instead.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm

manofjustice wrote:
You can leave instead.
I actually go to this school

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm

manofjustice wrote:

You derp up literally every thread you touch.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 pm

blurbz wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

You derp up literally every thread you touch.
So, have you heard...perhaps, maybe...that the demand for new lawyers is falling and that the number of law schools might be reduced a tad. Enrollment will fall at the others. Law school budgets will be pressed. Some schools won't be able to downsize quick enough...what makes you think the bottom-tier school of the Chicago market won't be hardest hit...for a long time? Please tell me...embarrass me with your logic.
Last edited by manofjustice on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 pm

blurbz, can't remember if we've talked about this douche before, but don't ever engage the Pollfressor. It's not worth it

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:52 pm

manofjustice wrote: So, have you heard...perhaps, maybe...that the demand for new lawyers is falling and that the number of law schools might be reduced a tad. What makes you think the bottom-tier school of the Chicago market won't be hardest hit...for a long time? Please tell me...embarrass me with your logic.
I assume you mean NIU, SIU, DePaul, Loyola, or IIT Kent?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:blurbz, can't remember if we've talked about this douche before, but don't ever engage the Pollfressor. It's not worth it

I don't think we have....I'll take your advice, though: I've seen it happen.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:blurbz, can't remember if we've talked about this douche before, but don't ever engage the Pollfressor. It's not worth it
You're not able to...is the problem.

I don't believe that the rankings drop WILL matter, just that it could, sorta. I agree with what that fuck Ludvocio Technique said, actually (he's not able to extend the same basic courtesy to me, but whatever).

But the fact remains: many schools face a choice of relaxing their admissions standards substantially or downsizing. Large rankings drops are a proxy for which choice a school turns out to have made. And employers would care...decreased admissions standards are not good for a schools' employment prospects.

It really isn't an earth-shattering proposition. I said it could, sorta matter. Not sure what you're all in a tizzy about.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 pm

I don't care about the substance of what you have to say, you're just terrible

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 pm

manofjustice wrote:
You're not able to...is the problem.

I don't believe that the rankings drop WILL matter, just that it could, sorta. I agree with what that fuck Ludvocio Technique said, actually (he's not able to extend the same basic courtesy to me, but whatever).

But the fact remains: many schools face a choice of relaxing their admissions standards substantially or downsizing. Large rankings drops are a proxy for which choice a school turns out to have made. And employers would care...decreased admissions standards are not good for a schools' employment prospects.

It really isn't an earth-shattering proposition. I said it could, sorta matter. Not sure what you're all in a tizzy about.
You're not totally wrong. It just doesn't apply to UIUC. UIUC wasn't in the realm of UChicago, Northwestern, and Michigan before any rankings drop and will always place better than the t2/t3 Illinois schools just because of much stronger regional prestige.

Even if UIUC's 2016 medians were to drop again, UIUC would still have the same mediocre overall placement it had before the drop and better biglaw placement than the closest in-state, lower ranked school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”