UIUC Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mosquito

Bronze

Re: UIUC Class of 2016

Post by mosquito » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 am

Burne182 wrote:
mosquito wrote:Is there anyone who has known something about the interview schedule for Morrill Scholar application? I haven't heard back from UIUC since I submitted my application.
I asked last week when I was visiting and she said there would be an email coming this week or next setting up the interviews. Also that said interviews would likely be done via skype or phone (since scheduling them in-person would be a bit of a nightmare...)

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the response, Burne! :D

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 am

Does anyone have any insider knowledge as to when we might expect to see the new employment data?

It's interesting that there has been way more talk about Illinois in other threads than this one since USNWR. Either their haven't been a slew of rankings withdrawals or people just haven't been posting about it. I thought all if you were aupposed to rush to Bama and leave me my full-ride?!

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:45 am

AMilfordMan wrote:Does anyone have any insider knowledge as to when we might expect to see the new employment data?

It's interesting that there has been way more talk about Illinois in other threads than this one since USNWR. Either their haven't been a slew of rankings withdrawals or people just haven't been posting about it. I thought all if you were aupposed to rush to Bama and leave me my full-ride?!

Answered my own question?
http://www.law.illinois.edu/content/pdf ... ummary.pdf

annet

Bronze

Post by annet » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 am

Withdrew today, hopefully it will free up some scholly money (was sitting on a 50% offer). Rankings did not factor into my decision, although I guess there's still time to get a last-minute Bama app in :)

dewdawn

New

Post by dewdawn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:37 pm

50% tuition off from UIUC...Just wonder... Can I use my Emory 78K scholarship to negotiate with UIUC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 pm

dewdawn wrote:50% tuition off from UIUC...Just wonder... Can I use my Emory 78K scholarship to negotiate with UIUC?
Yes....

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:37 am

annet wrote:Withdrew today, hopefully it will free up some scholly money (was sitting on a 50% offer). Rankings did not factor into my decision, although I guess there's still time to get a last-minute Bama app in :)
Just curious. Which school will you go for?

annet

Bronze

Post by annet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:30 am

mosquito wrote:
annet wrote:Withdrew today, hopefully it will free up some scholly money (was sitting on a 50% offer). Rankings did not factor into my decision, although I guess there's still time to get a last-minute Bama app in :)
Just curious. Which school will you go for?
Iowa (full ride, so tempting) or UW Madison. Hopefully UW, I'm trying to negotiate now. I'm going back to school after some time off and already live in Madison and would like to stay. It's just personal preference though, one of the most successful lawyers I know up here (I babysat his kids for years) went to UIUC.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 am

Man this thread has called way back in this forum....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 am

Hi all, as a foreigner, I want to know how you Americans see the law school rankings. I was accepted by UIUC with a generous scholarship two months ago. Honestly, I like this school but the recently released rankings depressed me. It doesn't matter how UIUC will be ranked next year as long as it still remains as a T1. However, what if it drops to T2? Do you think this will happen next year? How will our job prospects be hurt if it is out of T1? Any response will be appreciated!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 am

mosquito wrote:Hi all, as a foreigner, I want to know how you Americans see the law school rankings. I was accepted by UIUC with a generous scholarship two months ago. Honestly, I like this school but the recently released rankings depressed me. It doesn't matter how UIUC will be ranked next year as long as it still remains as a T1. However, what if it drops to T2? Do you think this will happen next year? How will our job prospects be hurt if it is out of T1? Any response will be appreciated!
This has been discussed a few times ITT. The consensus being that rankings changes over 1 year doesnt really matter. A school would have to have a drop sustained for many years before employment outcomes would be effected by rankings. The problem with UIUC is they're in an oversaturated market behind schools like Chicago NU etc.

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:08 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
mosquito wrote:Hi all, as a foreigner, I want to know how you Americans see the law school rankings. I was accepted by UIUC with a generous scholarship two months ago. Honestly, I like this school but the recently released rankings depressed me. It doesn't matter how UIUC will be ranked next year as long as it still remains as a T1. However, what if it drops to T2? Do you think this will happen next year? How will our job prospects be hurt if it is out of T1? Any response will be appreciated!
This has been discussed a few times ITT. The consensus being that rankings changes over 1 year doesnt really matter. A school would have to have a drop sustained for many years before employment outcomes would be effected by rankings. The problem with UIUC is they're in an oversaturated market behind schools like Chicago NU etc.
You are the first to reply me. Thanks a lot. How would you compare UIUC (90k) with Wake Forest (60k)? I've never been to the US before. It's really hard for me to make a choice between these two options.

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
I would add to this that it depends where you want to practice. UIUC still has a lot of local prestige and places fairly well into smaller markets because of this. Chicago overall has taken a huge hit, but the school is still well connected to some big firms there, as evident by their pretty impressive NLJ250 placement data.

I posted a link to the class of 2012 employment data earlier, and it shows that big law placement was about the same and overall employement improved. These are signs of a move back up in the rankings, not the fall of a T2 school.

I'll also add that UIUC has a huge international student presence. I think that helps a lot of international students integrate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2013applicant

New

Post by 2013applicant » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am

How big is UIUC's class? I spent last summer at the Chicago firm with the largest summer class by far and we only had 3 UIUC people, which doesn't seem to bode well for the school's employment #s.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 am

2013applicant wrote:How big is UIUC's class? I spent last summer at the Chicago firm with the largest summer class by far and we only had 3 UIUC people, which doesn't seem to bode well for the school's employment #s.
220ish. The school places about 15-20% in biglaw so it would make sense that there are only a handful of UIUC students at any given firm. There are actual employment stats you can look at

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Withdrew today with 50% scholarship. Hope one of you can snag the money and acceptance. GL!

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:01 pm

New topics:
New LST reports are up. Certainly better than last year
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=illinois

Anyone going to ASD on the 5th? Up for a TLS shit show at the Blind Pig?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JadeWest

Bronze

Post by JadeWest » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 pm

When is the deposit due before you forfeit your scholly?

First deposit it April 19. But I thought I read somewhere that you have to accept by April 6 to keep the money.... or am I mistaking this for another school?

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:46 pm

JadeWest wrote:When is the deposit due before you forfeit your scholly?

First deposit it April 19. But I thought I read somewhere that you have to accept by April 6 to keep the money.... or am I mistaking this for another school?
I don't remember seeing this anywhere. I'm pretty sure that those who visit on the 19th even get an extension on the first deadline, so I don't think there would be a scholarship deadline before that.

PLEASE inform me if I'm mistaken though!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Is there a visitation day on April 19th?

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Is there a visitation day on April 19th?
4/5 and 4/19

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Oh cool. Anybody going to the 19th one should really really really go to Ebertfest. It's basically the best thing about Champaign. Because Roger Ebert happened to be born here this tiny town has lucked into an awesome big time film festival. It's in a beautiful restored movie palace, and the movies are all great. Individual tickets went on sale today. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you're in town that weekend.

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:29 am

Any TLS'ers on campus today? I'll give you cash if you correctly pick me out of the group with a Lucille Bluth wink.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 am

AMilfordMan wrote:Any TLS'ers on campus today? I'll give you cash if you correctly pick me out of the group with a Lucille Bluth wink.
I won't be on campus but I'll be around downtown for the open house thing tonight. If I figure out who you are I'll do a chicken impression

Burne182

New

Post by Burne182 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

To those who went to ASD: any thoughts? Wish I could have made it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”