SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maxmartin

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby maxmartin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:33 pm

crchildress wrote:
mandimeoutof10 wrote:When are the next deposit deadlines and does the SMU waitlist tend to move around those dates?

May 15, and we can only hope.

call or email admission office to ask about deposit situation, in UCI and WAKE FOREST thread people did just that

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:48 pm

ChadMichael wrote:
18dvineshay wrote:
ChadMichael wrote:Anyone thinking today is the day some more of us hear back?

being as its SMU founding day i say i doubt it but still gonna be hoping for it!!

Last week ASD and now Foundation Day . . . this wait is horrendous. Hopefully next week they don't have some big event.

I lol'ed at that. Not that anyone would expect you to know, but the campus is essentially shut down Wednesday through Friday for the Bush Presidential Library ceremony. As in, students aren't even allowed to park on campus.

ChadMichael

Postby ChadMichael » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:28 pm

kalvano wrote:
ChadMichael wrote:
18dvineshay wrote:
ChadMichael wrote:Anyone thinking today is the day some more of us hear back?

being as its SMU founding day i say i doubt it but still gonna be hoping for it!!

Last week ASD and now Foundation Day . . . this wait is horrendous. Hopefully next week they don't have some big event.

I lol'ed at that. Not that anyone would expect you to know, but the campus is essentially shut down Wednesday through Friday for the Bush Presidential Library ceremony. As in, students aren't even allowed to park on campus.

The wait has just become unbearable, I feel with the way things are going next week it will be somebody's birthday and they'll decide to shut down the office for the day for that. Hopefully the ceremony is nice though, especially if you guys haven't been able to park for most of the week.

joman8390

Postby joman8390 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Last edited by joman8390 on Fri May 29, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadMichael

Postby ChadMichael » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:40 pm

joman8390 wrote:Wait listed at about 1:30 cst

Hope you can eventually get off the waitlist.

m_surly

Postby m_surly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Waitlisted today at about 1:30 p.m. CST.

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:17 pm

kalvano wrote:As in, students aren't even allowed to park on campus.

And yet, there WILL BE CLASS and we'd better be there. Idiots.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Stevoman wrote:
kalvano wrote:As in, students aren't even allowed to park on campus.

And yet, there WILL BE CLASS and we'd better be there. Idiots.

All of my professors roundaboutly cancelled class without actually cancelling it.

Although, full marks to the Dean for arranging free parking with shuttles at the AAC. That's far better than suggesting we park downtown and DART in. I doubt the law school had any choice in the matter of timing and classes, so that may be the best solution he can manage, and it's pretty good.

ChadMichael

Postby ChadMichael » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:13 am

Lots of waitlist action last week it looks like . . . don't know if this means most of the entering class is full or if there's still some hope for the rest of us with no decision yet.

zachwooldridge

Postby zachwooldridge » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:28 pm

This is off topic so sorry if it bothers anyone but I am looking for some opinions. I am still waiting on SMU but the odds are very much against me. Assuming I am not accepted, I will have to decide between South Texas College of Law and Texas Wesleyan. I have been accepted to both but don't have a scholarship to either. There are a lot of things I like about both schools and both areas. I am from just east of the DFW area but I have spent the last 4 years at Texas A&M so location is a tie. What I am having trouble with is deciding which school will better set me up for success. Please either reply or send me a PM with opinions or facts to help me decide. A disscussion on here would probably be more helpful but because this is off topic for SMU, PMs would keep everyone that doesn't care from having to deal with this.

Side note, I have applied to both FT and PT at SMU. So if I am accepted PT to SMU, should I take that over full time at one of the other schools?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Hey guys - I'll probably be leaving my apartment mid-June this year. There are normally long waits to get into my building (it's directly across the street from campus...you cannot get any closer than where I live), but since I'm leaving before my lease term is officially up, my landlord is letting me advertise to law students who want to move in July 1 (or earlier) to "jump the line" so to speak. It's a 2 bed/1 bath apartment, all hardwood, cute details (built-ins, arches) in an older building, pet-friendly. The second bedroom is really small, so I use it as an office, but I did sublease the room to an intern friend last summer and it worked out fine for her (most of the apartments in my building have two people living in them, actually).

Anyway, the apartment is ideal for people without cars (or people who don't want to drive), and the rent is *really* reasonable for the area. If you're possibly interested in moving into the apartment in June or July, let me know and I'll answer all of your questions!

(Alternatively, if you know of someone interning or summering in Dallas that just needs a place to sublease for June and July, that can be arranged, too! Let me know!)

nirvanah

Postby nirvanah » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 pm

zachwooldridge wrote:This is off topic so sorry if it bothers anyone but I am looking for some opinions. I am still waiting on SMU but the odds are very much against me. Assuming I am not accepted, I will have to decide between South Texas College of Law and Texas Wesleyan. I have been accepted to both but don't have a scholarship to either. There are a lot of things I like about both schools and both areas. I am from just east of the DFW area but I have spent the last 4 years at Texas A&M so location is a tie. What I am having trouble with is deciding which school will better set me up for success. Please either reply or send me a PM with opinions or facts to help me decide. A disscussion on here would probably be more helpful but because this is off topic for SMU, PMs would keep everyone that doesn't care from having to deal with this.

Side note, I have applied to both FT and PT at SMU. So if I am accepted PT to SMU, should I take that over full time at one of the other schools?

if you look on this thread itself, most people will say smu over wesleyan and south texas. So , I would take SMU pt over the other two even full time. And most people here will probably say "retake" if you cant get smu, instead of going to wesleyan. Dont know your particulars, so i dont know how much you'll hate waiting the extra year. Im finishing up undergrad, and going straight to smu...sometimes, i wish i had waited a year..so i could attend asd's to the out of state schools i was admitted to...but oh well...

nirvanah

Postby nirvanah » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 pm

swilson215 wrote:Hey guys - I'll probably be leaving my apartment mid-June this year. There are normally long waits to get into my building (it's directly across the street from campus...you cannot get any closer than where I live), but since I'm leaving before my lease term is officially up, my landlord is letting me advertise to law students who want to move in July 1 (or earlier) to "jump the line" so to speak. It's a 2 bed/1 bath apartment, all hardwood, cute details (built-ins, arches) in an older building, pet-friendly. The second bedroom is really small, so I use it as an office, but I did sublease the room to an intern friend last summer and it worked out fine for her (most of the apartments in my building have two people living in them, actually).

Anyway, the apartment is ideal for people without cars (or people who don't want to drive), and the rent is *really* reasonable for the area. If you're possibly interested in moving into the apartment in June or July, let me know and I'll answer all of your questions!

(Alternatively, if you know of someone interning or summering in Dallas that just needs a place to sublease for June and July, that can be arranged, too! Let me know!)

How much is rent? Im looking to move closer to campus, but my lease isnt up until August. If it's an awesome deal, I might pay rent at two places if i need to...

jenm12

Postby jenm12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 am

zachwooldridge wrote:This is off topic so sorry if it bothers anyone but I am looking for some opinions. I am still waiting on SMU but the odds are very much against me. Assuming I am not accepted, I will have to decide between South Texas College of Law and Texas Wesleyan. I have been accepted to both but don't have a scholarship to either. There are a lot of things I like about both schools and both areas. I am from just east of the DFW area but I have spent the last 4 years at Texas A&M so location is a tie. What I am having trouble with is deciding which school will better set me up for success. Please either reply or send me a PM with opinions or facts to help me decide. A disscussion on here would probably be more helpful but because this is off topic for SMU, PMs would keep everyone that doesn't care from having to deal with this.

I got a full ride to Texas Wesleyan (went to A&M for undergrad so was pretty intrigued by the partnership) and 23/year at SMU, but the overwhelming response I've gotten is that SMU >>> Wesleyan regardless. I actually put down both seat deposits due to extenuating circumstances that I'm hoping will play out by May 15th so I can make my decision (which will probably be SMU), but am still weighing my options a bit. Who knows? The partnership may really help Tex Wes. I was actually pretty impressed by my visit there (though it was, of course, a bit overshadowed by SMU's law quad).

Sorry for rambling. But if anyone has any advice for me as well, I'd be more than grateful! :)

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 am

nirvanah wrote:
swilson215 wrote:Hey guys - I'll probably be leaving my apartment mid-June this year. There are normally long waits to get into my building (it's directly across the street from campus...you cannot get any closer than where I live), but since I'm leaving before my lease term is officially up, my landlord is letting me advertise to law students who want to move in July 1 (or earlier) to "jump the line" so to speak. It's a 2 bed/1 bath apartment, all hardwood, cute details (built-ins, arches) in an older building, pet-friendly. The second bedroom is really small, so I use it as an office, but I did sublease the room to an intern friend last summer and it worked out fine for her (most of the apartments in my building have two people living in them, actually).

How much is rent? Im looking to move closer to campus, but my lease isnt up until August. If it's an awesome deal, I might pay rent at two places if i need to...

Currently $800/month. Landlord *may* increase it a tiny bit, but it's unlikely!

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 am

jenm12 wrote:

I got a full ride to Texas Wesleyan (went to A&M for undergrad so was pretty intrigued by the partnership) and 23/year at SMU, but the overwhelming response I've gotten is that SMU >>> Wesleyan regardless. I actually put down both seat deposits due to extenuating circumstances that I'm hoping will play out by May 15th so I can make my decision (which will probably be SMU), but am still weighing my options a bit. Who knows? The partnership may really help Tex Wes. I was actually pretty impressed by my visit there (though it was, of course, a bit overshadowed by SMU's law quad).

Sorry for rambling. But if anyone has any advice for me as well, I'd be more than grateful! :)

Anecdotally, I have a friend who was wrestling with the same decision, picked Wesleyan, and is now trying SO HARD to transfer -- she's already that bummed out by the education (she saw what I went through during 1L and the difference between where I was at the end of 1L and where she is now in terms of breadth of foundational knowledge) and the job prospects. She's concerned about transferring, too, because of the fact that she might miss out at OCI and law review at SMU. If you asked her, she'd say that you should go to SMU regardless.

crchildress

Postby crchildress » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:45 am

When I first started applying to law schools, I did it early and applied to most of the schools in Texas including Wesleyan. This was before I knew about the job prospects and everything that goes with that. I got accepted into Wesleyan, waitlisted by SMU. If SMU doesnt have room for me I'll be retaking.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:40 am

I absolutely, positively cannot stress this enough: if you're only choice is Wesleyan, do not go to law school. The odds are very, very good you will not get a job as a lawyer. Stop for a second and think about that. I don't mean your odds of getting a Biglaw job, or making over $100K starting. I mean the odds of someone paying you to do legal work are overwhelmingly bad. I'm not being mean or hating on a school for giggles. Wesleyan is an objectively terrible school and no one should ever go there.

If you want to go to school in Texas and can't get UT, SMU, or UofH, then the only other choice should be Tech. Do not go to Wesleyan. People on here are pretty casual about throwing out the phrase "ruin your life," but no joke and no hyperbole, going to Wesleyan, especially at sticker, is more than likely to do exactly that.

ChadMichael

Postby ChadMichael » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 pm

kalvano wrote:I absolutely, positively cannot stress this enough: if you're only choice is Wesleyan, do not go to law school. The odds are very, very good you will not get a job as a lawyer. Stop for a second and think about that. I don't mean your odds of getting a Biglaw job, or making over $100K starting. I mean the odds of someone paying you to do legal work are overwhelmingly bad. I'm not being mean or hating on a school for giggles. Wesleyan is an objectively terrible school and no one should ever go there.

If you want to go to school in Texas and can't get UT, SMU, or UofH, then the only other choice should be Tech. Do not go to Wesleyan. People on here are pretty casual about throwing out the phrase "ruin your life," but no joke and no hyperbole, going to Wesleyan, especially at sticker, is more than likely to do exactly that.

What's the thought on Baylor in the state of Texas then? The only one you seemed not to mention, and the only backup plan I have as of now haha

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:30 pm

ChadMichael wrote:
kalvano wrote:I absolutely, positively cannot stress this enough: if you're only choice is Wesleyan, do not go to law school. The odds are very, very good you will not get a job as a lawyer. Stop for a second and think about that. I don't mean your odds of getting a Biglaw job, or making over $100K starting. I mean the odds of someone paying you to do legal work are overwhelmingly bad. I'm not being mean or hating on a school for giggles. Wesleyan is an objectively terrible school and no one should ever go there.

What's the thought on Baylor in the state of Texas then? The only one you seemed not to mention, and the only backup plan I have as of now haha

I think Baylor is a step up from Tech, personally...I know a couple of kids that went there and got jobs in Dallas. Well, Addison and Arlington, but DFW in general.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:58 pm

swilson215 wrote:
ChadMichael wrote:

I think Baylor is a step up from Tech, personally...I know a couple of kids that went there and got jobs in Dallas. Well, Addison and Arlington, but DFW in general.

Baylor is a step up from Tech, and numbers-wise, not that far off from SMU / UofH in job placement. It's just a miserable place to go to school and I have a hard time recommending anyone go because of that. But as far as ultimately getting a job, if you can go with money, it's not a terrible option.

zachwooldridge

Postby zachwooldridge » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
ChadMichael wrote:

Baylor is a step up from Tech, and numbers-wise, not that far off from SMU / UofH in job placement. It's just a miserable place to go to school and I have a hard time recommending anyone go because of that. But as far as ultimately getting a job, if you can go with money, it's not a terrible option.

Thoughts on South Texas College of Law?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Don't go.

mandimeoutof10

Postby mandimeoutof10 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm

kalvano wrote:Don't go.

I have read many of your posts on this site. Would you place STCL next after UT, SMU, UofH, baylor, and Tech? Damn, that list is longer than it sounded in my head.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:01 pm

I would place STCL on the "don't go" list. Look, I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's a bad school. A few years ago, it was maybe a decent option, but the market is super tight and going to STCL is like playing Russian Roulette with 5 out of 6 chambers loaded. If your dream is to be a lawyer, fine and dandy, but don't pursue it all costs. If you can't get in to one of the good schools in Texas, sit it out and retake and increase your chances at a better school, which is a much better use of your time and money.

This isn't debating between Duke and Boston College, or something similar. This is a choice between objectively decent to good schools, and objectively terrible schools.

Although, after having to pay to fix my hot water heater, I am not convinced I should have been a plumber.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”