SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:I got Hughes !!!!

See y'all next year


Congratulations!

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mg7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 pm

maxmartin wrote:why indirect expense from SMU so high? Almost 10,000 higher than BC or BU, is there hidden fee from SMU that we are not aware of? Or simply just some wrong data from LST.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=smu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bc

In my admission packet, there was something about CoA and it listed tuition and then a separate category of "fees" that was almost $5k per year, so maybe that's it.

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby chem! » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:02 pm

mg7 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:why indirect expense from SMU so high? Almost 10,000 higher than BC or BU, is there hidden fee from SMU that we are not aware of? Or simply just some wrong data from LST.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=smu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bc

In my admission packet, there was something about CoA and it listed tuition and then a separate category of "fees" that was almost $5k per year, so maybe that's it.

I've wondered what constituted the fees as well.

crazeazn
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:33 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crazeazn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:I got Hughes !!!!

See y'all next year

Thanks to all TLS'rs for all the help/advice! You are all the best and I'm so so excited to get an opportunity to be in a classroom with y'all :D


congrats! please withdraw quickly from your other choices so us scrubs (WLers) have a fighting chance.

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby maxmartin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:36 pm

chem! wrote:
mg7 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:why indirect expense from SMU so high? Almost 10,000 higher than BC or BU, is there hidden fee from SMU that we are not aware of? Or simply just some wrong data from LST.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=smu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bc

In my admission packet, there was something about CoA and it listed tuition and then a separate category of "fees" that was almost $5k per year, so maybe that's it.

I've wondered what constituted the fees as well.


wondering the same thing, does this fee include health insurance? I believe health insurance is another 2000$.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kalvano » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:10 pm

SMU overestimates the COL. Fees include your parking pass, gym membership, costs of Westlaw / Lexis, etc. Health insurance may be counted in the estimate, but that is a separate expense ($900 per semester if bought through the school's program).

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Holynorth » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:42 am

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Holynorth wrote:Called today with acceptance. 3.3ish and 162ish.


FT or PT?

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Holynorth » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:04 pm

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:19 am

Holynorth wrote:
crchildress wrote:
Holynorth wrote:Called today with acceptance. 3.3ish and 162ish.


FT or PT?


FT.


Well Congratulations!

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Has anyone had any luck in negotiating scholarships?

User avatar
po1
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby po1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 pm

JXander wrote:Has anyone had any luck in negotiating scholarships?

I'm going to try next week but expecting to be shot down.

Mj23la
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Mj23la » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:49 pm

The status literally hasn't changed from app completed on 1/14...give me something SMU!

User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:02 pm

Mj23la wrote:The status literally hasn't changed from app completed on 1/14...give me something SMU!


I'm with ya, I'm with ya!

User avatar
jenm12
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jenm12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 am

po1 wrote:
JXander wrote:Has anyone had any luck in negotiating scholarships?

I'm going to try next week but expecting to be shot down.

Hey, that's my plan, too! It's worth a shot I suppose. Are you just going to email admissions?

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Holynorth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:23 pm

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Holynorth wrote:Does scholarship information really take 2-4 weeks like they said? Deposit is due in a week!

Call them and respectfully ask if they can PDF you a copy.

Wes0568
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Wes0568 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Holynorth wrote:Does scholarship information really take 2-4 weeks like they said? Deposit is due in a week!


FWIW I was admitted early March and received scholarship information the same week (live in Dallas).

Mj23la
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Mj23la » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

crchildress wrote:
Mj23la wrote:The status literally hasn't changed from app completed on 1/14...give me something SMU!


I'm with ya, I'm with ya!


It seems they may be waiting until the deadline to see how many spots they have to fill...

User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Mj23la wrote:
crchildress wrote:
Mj23la wrote:The status literally hasn't changed from app completed on 1/14...give me something SMU!


I'm with ya, I'm with ya!


It seems they may be waiting until the deadline to see how many spots they have to fill...


That's what I have been thinking.

Wes0568
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Wes0568 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Checking last year's thread it looks as if decisions were released 4/5, 4/10, 4/17 and a couple on 5/1.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Holynorth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 pm

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Wes0568 wrote:Checking last year's thread it looks as if decisions were released 4/5, 4/10, 4/17 and a couple on 5/1.


Well it would definitely be nice, if they came out at a pace like that.

nirvanah
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nirvanah » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm

in today...phone call about 2 hours ago.

JBCIV
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JBCIV » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 pm

nirvanah wrote:in today...phone call about 2 hours ago.


Numbers?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”