SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:22 pm

GardenGnome wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
Wes0568 wrote:
A lot of people had their status update change from application complete, then application completed, then it changed the day your acceptances came out last Friday. Yours didn't change at all...so it is possible that we can't trust to glean anything from the status checker for movement, etc.

Oh yeah, sorry. I've logged all the changes to all my status checkers in a word doc and those were the only 2 I put for SMU. I literally saw it change as I was leaving work last friday (which would be 15 minutes from now).


People's statuses were changing before you last week. Seeing that no one has heard anything I'm guessing were out of luck this week.


Agreed

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Ya good point, and I think decisions were cycling everyone 2 weeks.

User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:26 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Ya good point, and I think decisions were cycling everyone 2 weeks.


Makes sense, that also means the next batch would come out before Spring Break begins.

colbs123
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby colbs123 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 pm

If anybody has any questions about SMU, PM me. I am currently a 1L and know you guys probably have a lot of questions.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Well, Admitted Students Day was today (which was awesome) and the staff was busy with that nearly all day. Hopefully you get something on Monday. :)

User avatar
jenm12
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jenm12 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:55 pm

JXander wrote:Well, Admitted Students Day was today (which was awesome) and the staff was busy with that nearly all day. Hopefully you get something on Monday. :)


Would you say it's worth going to ASD if we've already taken a tour? Also, did most people bring guests with them?
Thanks!

majnana
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby majnana » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:08 pm

jenm12 wrote:
JXander wrote:Well, Admitted Students Day was today (which was awesome) and the staff was busy with that nearly all day. Hopefully you get something on Monday. :)


Would you say it's worth going to ASD if we've already taken a tour? Also, did most people bring guests with them?
Thanks!


(I'm going to put in my $0.02 even though I'm not the one quoted.) I'd say it's a really nice function and worth going to even if you took a tour, because it was fun meeting everyone and sitting through a class. Also, they feed you (ha) and the food was very good. A lot of parents were present, although not everyone took a guest.

That being said, it's not worth traveling there for an ASD if you've had a tour already. You won't get a lot of new information. But if you already live in Dallas, or nearby, it's a nice program to attend.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:12 pm

jenm12 wrote:Would you say it's worth going to ASD if we've already taken a tour?
Thanks!

In my opinion, no. But if you want to sit in on a class (which is a great way to get a glimpse of what the school is like in terms of faculty), then do go.
jenm12 wrote:lso, did most people bring guests with them?

It was pretty split. If you are relatively outgoing, I wouldn't worry too much. The staff was very friendly and conversational.

Side note: I was really surprised how many admits brought their parents with them.
majnana wrote:the food was very good

User avatar
Well_he_did_not
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Well_he_did_not » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm

JXander wrote:
jenm12 wrote:Would you say it's worth going to ASD if we've already taken a tour?
Thanks!

In my opinion, no. But if you want to sit in on a class (which is a great way to get a glimpse of what the school is like in terms of faculty), then do go.
jenm12 wrote:lso, did most people bring guests with them?

It was pretty split. If you are relatively outgoing, I wouldn't worry too much. The staff was very friendly and conversational.

Side note: I was really surprised how many admits brought their parents with them.
majnana wrote:the food was very good
majnana wrote:
jenm12 wrote:
JXander wrote:Well, Admitted Students Day was today (which was awesome) and the staff was busy with that nearly all day. Hopefully you get something on Monday. :)


Would you say it's worth going to ASD if we've already taken a tour? Also, did most people bring guests with them?
Thanks![/quote

(I'm going to put in my $0.02 even though I'm not the one quoted.) I'd say it's a really nice function and worth going to even if you took a tour, because it was fun meeting everyone and sitting through a class. Also, they feed you (ha) and the food was very good. A lot of parents were present, although not everyone took a guest.

That being said, it's not worth traveling there for an ASD if you've had a tour already. You won't get a lot of new information. But if you already live in Dallas, or nearby, it's a nice program to attend.


I agree in that I don't think ASD is very useful. Most people this past weekend asks good questions along the lines of "why YOU vs. UT/Baylor/Etc" and the responses were meager at best. The summation of the dean's comments along with students comments was this: go to SMU if you want to work in DFW because it has great connections with law firms, clerkships, etc. If you've done the smallest bit of homework you already know this.

In my opinion attending the ASD is helpful only because you get to see what the students and classes are structured like. I personally was more impressed with the professor/class I sat in for Baylor (1 month ago). I thought some of the students had an air of douchery (One guy sitting right in front of me actually rolled his eyes because we were in his class and his friend LITERALLY scoffed when someone in their friends group said "should we say hi to them?". I know this doesn't speak for all of SMU but being from the DFW area I can't say I was surprised. SMU students tend to have a bit of a reputation about them.

However, I think the school is great, one way to sum it up was the dean's choice of "Traditional". Nothing special but it gets the job done and it truly is great for networking.

Hope that helps! Also yes, mostly everyone brought parents/wives/husband. And if you're close to DFW then yes GO, it'll make you feel special and give you a sense of excitement if nothing else.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't make me sound like a hater, SMU right now may be my #1 despite my comments above.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote: I thought some of the students had an air of douchery (One guy sitting right in front of me actually rolled his eyes because we were in his class and his friend LITERALLY scoffed when someone in their friends group said "should we say hi to them?".

:?

User avatar
Well_he_did_not
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Well_he_did_not » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

JXander wrote:
Well_he_did_not wrote: I thought some of the students had an air of douchery (One guy sitting right in front of me actually rolled his eyes because we were in his class and his friend LITERALLY scoffed when someone in their friends group said "should we say hi to them?".

:?


I thought the same thing, although in SMU's defense all students in the panel/guides were really nice!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:45 pm

What class did you guys sit in on?

User avatar
Well_he_did_not
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Well_he_did_not » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:49 pm

kalvano wrote:What class did you guys sit in on?


Contracts II with a older white professor with glasses? Sorry I don't remember his name.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:57 pm

SMU students tend to have a bit of a reputation about them.

Could you tell me about this reputation. I'm not aware of it.

User avatar
Well_he_did_not
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Well_he_did_not » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:09 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
SMU students tend to have a bit of a reputation about them.

Could you tell me about this reputation. I'm not aware of it.


I'll PM you but please take it with a grain of salt!

nirvanah
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nirvanah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:10 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
SMU students tend to have a bit of a reputation about them.

Could you tell me about this reputation. I'm not aware of it.


SMU students have the reputation of being douches. At least, I know the undergrads do. (some of it is well deserved). i dont necessarily feel it has to do with the SMU itself, but more so the fact many SMU undergrads typically come from Dallas $.
Last edited by nirvanah on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:
SMU students tend to have a bit of a reputation about them.

Could you tell me about this reputation. I'm not aware of it.


I'll PM you but please take it with a grain of salt!

I grew up as "the poor kid" in Highland Park so I think I already know what you're going to say. I'm just curious.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:
kalvano wrote:What class did you guys sit in on?


Contracts II with a older white professor with glasses? Sorry I don't remember his name.

Professor C. Rogers.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:17 pm

I don't know why they stick you guys in Contracts. It's so boring. Upper-level classes would be much more interesting.


SMU students, particularly the undergrads, have the reputation of being spoiled, entitled douchebags. There is a bit of that in the law school, but it's nowhere near what you'd find in the undergrad. There's a good chunk of students not from Dallas, so it balances out. Although if you're the kind of person who gets irritable by young people with money, even nice people, SMU will be rough.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:41 pm

I thought it was very interesting how very few (identifiable) URMs were at the ASD and in the class. Does SMU typically suffer in terms of ethnic diversity?

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:
JXander wrote:
jenm12 wrote:Would you say it's worth going to ASD if we've already taken a tour?
Thanks!

In my opinion, no. But if you want to sit in on a class (which is a great way to get a glimpse of what the school is like in terms of faculty), then do go.
jenm12 wrote:lso, did most people bring guests with them?

It was pretty split. If you are relatively outgoing, I wouldn't worry too much. The staff was very friendly and conversational.

Side note: I was really surprised how many admits brought their parents with them.
majnana wrote:the food was very good
majnana wrote:
jenm12 wrote:
JXander wrote:Well, Admitted Students Day was today (which was awesome) and the staff was busy with that nearly all day. Hopefully you get something on Monday. :)


Would you say it's worth going to ASD if we've already taken a tour? Also, did most people bring guests with them?
Thanks![/quote

(I'm going to put in my $0.02 even though I'm not the one quoted.) I'd say it's a really nice function and worth going to even if you took a tour, because it was fun meeting everyone and sitting through a class. Also, they feed you (ha) and the food was very good. A lot of parents were present, although not everyone took a guest.

That being said, it's not worth traveling there for an ASD if you've had a tour already. You won't get a lot of new information. But if you already live in Dallas, or nearby, it's a nice program to attend.


I agree in that I don't think ASD is very useful. Most people this past weekend asks good questions along the lines of "why YOU vs. UT/Baylor/Etc" and the responses were meager at best. The summation of the dean's comments along with students comments was this: go to SMU if you want to work in DFW because it has great connections with law firms, clerkships, etc. If you've done the smallest bit of homework you already know this.

In my opinion attending the ASD is helpful only because you get to see what the students and classes are structured like. I personally was more impressed with the professor/class I sat in for Baylor (1 month ago). I thought some of the students had an air of douchery (One guy sitting right in front of me actually rolled his eyes because we were in his class and his friend LITERALLY scoffed when someone in their friends group said "should we say hi to them?". I know this doesn't speak for all of SMU but being from the DFW area I can't say I was surprised. SMU students tend to have a bit of a reputation about them.

However, I think the school is great, one way to sum it up was the dean's choice of "Traditional". Nothing special but it gets the job done and it truly is great for networking.

Hope that helps! Also yes, mostly everyone brought parents/wives/husband. And if you're close to DFW then yes GO, it'll make you feel special and give you a sense of excitement if nothing else.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't make me sound like a hater, SMU right now may be my #1 despite my comments above.


alot of kid brought their parents? really? thats...um...embarassing. Is this typcial?

User avatar
TheRedBlueBerry
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:12 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheRedBlueBerry » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:31 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
alot of kid brought their parents? really? thats...um...embarassing. Is this typcial?


Yeah, it was strange. :shock: I was shocked when I walked into the breakfast area alone and I was surrounded by parents. I didn't think this was typical for ASD's, but I guess maybe it is for SMU. Overall, I thought the day was okay, but I had already visited so I didn't get much out of it besides go to SMU if you want to work in Dallas (which most people already knew).

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 pm

TheRedBlueBerry wrote::shock: I was shocked when I walked into the breakfast area alone and I was surrounded by parents.

+1

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Well, next year as an admitted student (hopefully), I'll be sure to bring my wife, kids, parents and grandparents. I'll be the coolest kid there.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Holynorth » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:48 pm

I don't see why everyone is shocked about parents being there. They're more than likely paying for a large portion if not all of the student's COL or tuition, so they should get to see what they're paying for. Also, they're probably excited their child is going to law school and want to be there before their kid is sent off for another three years.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”