SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Well_he_did_not
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Well_he_did_not » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Does anyone know what SMU's feelings about submitting multiple seat deposits is?

This is what I've learned from reading around TLS, you may submit seat deposits to different schools (of course non-refundable). But, once you do most schools will notify it to LSAC and this means that their peers schools will know you have committed to someone else via seat deposit anyways (Don't ask me what "peer schools" means I just read it around, if anyone can clarify please do).

Here's my dilemma, I applied to full ride specific scholly's that are a game changer in deciding where to go. I don't know that I will hear back from all these schollys by April 1st which is typically when most of the 1st seat deposits for my schools are due. I likely will hear back before then but I'd like to have a plan B (and frankly start saving $$ for two seat deposits) if I need to.

Wes0568
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Wes0568 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:Does anyone know what SMU's feelings about submitting multiple seat deposits is?

This is what I've learned from reading around TLS, you may submit seat deposits to different schools (of course non-refundable). But, once you do most schools will notify it to LSAC and this means that their peers schools will know you have committed to someone else via seat deposit anyways (Don't ask me what "peer schools" means I just read it around, if anyone can clarify please do).

Here's my dilemma, I applied to full ride specific scholly's that are a game changer in deciding where to go. I don't know that I will hear back from all these schollys by April 1st which is typically when most of the 1st seat deposits for my schools are due. I likely will hear back before then but I'd like to have a plan B (and frankly start saving $$ for two seat deposits) if I need to.


Not sure about SMU, but LSAC has the following information (http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp):

Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools

User avatar
jenm12
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jenm12 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:Does anyone know what SMU's feelings about submitting multiple seat deposits is?

This is what I've learned from reading around TLS, you may submit seat deposits to different schools (of course non-refundable). But, once you do most schools will notify it to LSAC and this means that their peers schools will know you have committed to someone else via seat deposit anyways (Don't ask me what "peer schools" means I just read it around, if anyone can clarify please do).

Here's my dilemma, I applied to full ride specific scholly's that are a game changer in deciding where to go. I don't know that I will hear back from all these schollys by April 1st which is typically when most of the 1st seat deposits for my schools are due. I likely will hear back before then but I'd like to have a plan B (and frankly start saving $$ for two seat deposits) if I need to.

I actually spoke to admissions about this the other day and they said it's totally normal to put down multiple deposits... Just notify them if you decide to decline your offer before the second deposit is due.

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mg7 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:28 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
mg7 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Did people who get phone calls get in after they were admittd via status cbecker

I wonder why we didn't get phone calls lol

Me too....maybe its because we're getting full rides and they didnt want us to get too excited :(

Ok so I actually just got the phone call today lol so I guess they just ran out of time on Friday.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Haha, what was the area code? Did they give you scholly information? Also, did you tell them you already knew.

rshw89
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rshw89 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:51 pm

mg7 wrote:Ok so I actually just got the phone call today lol so I guess they just ran out of time on Friday.


Same here.

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mg7 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Haha, what was the area code? Did they give you scholly information? Also, did you tell them you already knew.

It was a 214 area code. I didn't actually talk to them bc I was taking a shower when they called, but they just left a voicemail saying congratulations and inviting me to the admitted students days.

BoomSoon
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BoomSoon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm curious if anyone knows the highest scholarship SMU gives that's not the Hughes or Sumners?

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Aawaldrop » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 pm

BoomSoon wrote:I'm curious if anyone knows the highest scholarship SMU gives that's not the Hughes or Sumners?


Biggest I've seen on LSN is 90k (30k/year)

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Aawaldrop » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 pm

rshw89 wrote:
mg7 wrote:Ok so I actually just got the phone call today lol so I guess they just ran out of time on Friday.


Same here.

+1 Waiting for the packet

User avatar
po1
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby po1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 pm

I think the highest initial offer is 30k/year but I have seen a post that a person's offer was bump up to 35k/year after he/she didn't pay the seat deposit. I'll try to find the post.

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby maxmartin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 am

BoomSoon wrote:I'm curious if anyone knows the highest scholarship SMU gives that's not the Hughes or Sumners?


35K

User avatar
po1
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby po1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:23 am

7/18 - SMU upped their offer to 35k/yr if in the top half

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby maxmartin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 am

po1 wrote:
7/18 - SMU upped their offer to 35k/yr if in the top half


that is not really a good deal, they up the money by only 5000 but add the condition of top half?

BoomSoon
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BoomSoon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 am

Thanks everyone! I was offered the $30k a year and I wasn't sure if I should wait to pay the deposit to see if they would bump up the scholarship or not. I guess it won't do any harm to wait!

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby maxmartin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 am

BoomSoon wrote:Thanks everyone! I was offered the $30k a year and I wasn't sure if I should wait to pay the deposit to see if they would bump up the scholarship or not. I guess it won't do any harm to wait!


don't play that game if you really want to go to SMU, they stated very clearly they may forfeit your money if you do not deposit money by the due date. But if you have multiple excellent offers on the table, play on!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 am

I would not sacrifice $30K a year with essentially no stips besides not peeing in the Dean's desk drawers for an extra $5K a year that put a grade stip on it. If you miss the stip, then you lose it all.

User avatar
fourtyacslaw
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby fourtyacslaw » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 am

Visited the campus recently and my application just went complete. Seems like the average time from that point to decision is 3-4 weeks?

Random question, but did anyone tour this cycle & remember the name of their guide (if the same)? Mine was a blonde female 2L in the PT program. She was very blunt and to-the-point which I appreciated, and I wanted to write her and the admissions counselor to thank them for their time. However, I can't remember her first name. If someone does please PM me. Thanks.

GardenGnome
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby GardenGnome » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 am

fourtyacslaw wrote:Visited the campus recently and my application just went complete. Seems like the average time from that point to decision is 3-4 weeks?

Random question, but did anyone tour this cycle & remember the name of their guide (if the same)? Mine was a blonde female 2L in the PT program. She was very blunt and to-the-point which I appreciated, and I wanted to write her and the admissions counselor to thank them for their time. However, I can't remember her first name. If someone does please PM me. Thanks.



Avg. wait time is probably closer to 6 weeks. I went complete 1/16 and haven't heard anything yet.

Wes0568
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Wes0568 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

GardenGnome wrote:
fourtyacslaw wrote:Visited the campus recently and my application just went complete. Seems like the average time from that point to decision is 3-4 weeks?

Random question, but did anyone tour this cycle & remember the name of their guide (if the same)? Mine was a blonde female 2L in the PT program. She was very blunt and to-the-point which I appreciated, and I wanted to write her and the admissions counselor to thank them for their time. However, I can't remember her first name. If someone does please PM me. Thanks.



Avg. wait time is probably closer to 6 weeks. I went complete 1/16 and haven't heard anything yet.


Agreed. Complete 1/15.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Wes0568 wrote:
GardenGnome wrote:
fourtyacslaw wrote:Visited the campus recently and my application just went complete. Seems like the average time from that point to decision is 3-4 weeks?

Random question, but did anyone tour this cycle & remember the name of their guide (if the same)? Mine was a blonde female 2L in the PT program. She was very blunt and to-the-point which I appreciated, and I wanted to write her and the admissions counselor to thank them for their time. However, I can't remember her first name. If someone does please PM me. Thanks.



Avg. wait time is probably closer to 6 weeks. I went complete 1/16 and haven't heard anything yet.


Agreed. Complete 1/15.

FYI, I went complete 1/08 and got in on friday, so hopefully its soon for you guys.

Wes0568
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Wes0568 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Wes0568 wrote:
GardenGnome wrote:
fourtyacslaw wrote:Visited the campus recently and my application just went complete. Seems like the average time from that point to decision is 3-4 weeks?

Random question, but did anyone tour this cycle & remember the name of their guide (if the same)? Mine was a blonde female 2L in the PT program. She was very blunt and to-the-point which I appreciated, and I wanted to write her and the admissions counselor to thank them for their time. However, I can't remember her first name. If someone does please PM me. Thanks.



Avg. wait time is probably closer to 6 weeks. I went complete 1/16 and haven't heard anything yet.


Agreed. Complete 1/15.

FYI, I went complete 1/08 and got in on friday, so hopefully its soon for you guys.


Hoping so. Did you apply FT or PT?

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Wes0568 wrote:
Hoping so. Did you apply FT or PT?

FT, they updated the status checker, apparently they've been making calls too since then but I haven't gotten one yet.

Wes0568
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Wes0568 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Wes0568 wrote:
Hoping so. Did you apply FT or PT?

FT, they updated the status checker, apparently they've been making calls too since then but I haven't gotten one yet.


Waiting only on SMU and am obsessed with the status checker. Congrats on your admission!

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Wes0568 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
Wes0568 wrote:
Hoping so. Did you apply FT or PT?

FT, they updated the status checker, apparently they've been making calls too since then but I haven't gotten one yet.


Waiting only on SMU and am obsessed with the status checker. Congrats on your admission!

What were your numbers if you dont mind me asking?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, Baby Gaga, Keilz, Lmorina126, Majestic-12 [Bot], potterotter, reydingo, sonyco and 25 guests