SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:39 pm

...
Last edited by rachelzane on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nirvanah
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nirvanah » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:12 am

rachelzane wrote:Apparently 22 people that were selected for the Sumners Scholarship were emailed today. Not personally, as a group. No word yet on how they are going to tell people they didn't get one. They may be waiting to confirm that all 22 interview spots are filled before they tell anyone no.



love your username :) I just started watching the show, and im obsessed with it :D

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:23 am

nirvanah wrote:
rachelzane wrote:.



love your username :) I just started watching the show, and im obsessed with it :D


Such a good show!
Sorry to hear you're getting any movement from smu admissions, here's to hoping something shakes loose next week!
Last edited by rachelzane on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 am

rachelzane wrote:Apparently 22 people that were selected for the Sumners Scholarship were emailed today. Not personally, as a group. No word yet on how they are going to tell people they didn't get one. They may be waiting to confirm that all 22 interview spots are filled before they tell anyone no.

Wow, thanks for sharing. Curious: how do you know it's 22? Is that many they usually pick?

Any word on the Hughes scholarship, by chance?

nirvanah
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nirvanah » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:53 am

rachelzane wrote:
nirvanah wrote:
rachelzane wrote:Apparently 22 people that were selected for the Sumners Scholarship were emailed today. Not personally, as a group. No word yet on how they are going to tell people they didn't get one. They may be waiting to confirm that all 22 interview spots are filled before they tell anyone no.



love your username :) I just started watching the show, and im obsessed with it :D


Such a good show!
Sorry to hear you're getting any movement from smu admissions, here's to hoping something shakes loose next week!


It's the best show ever...well, that and Game of Thrones (I cant decide which one i like more).

Yeah, it's annoying especially since Ive gotten admits from much higher ranked out of state schools :|. Some family stuff has changed so SMU part time would work out so well for me. Going anywhere else would be a lot more stressful, but I guess I'll do what I have to do :) Congrats on scholly though!!

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:50 am

JXander wrote:
rachelzane wrote:Apparently 22 people that were selected for the Sumners Scholarship were emailed today. Not personally, as a group. No word yet on how they are going to tell people they didn't get one. They may be waiting to confirm that all 22 interview spots are filled before they tell anyone no.

Wow, thanks for sharing. Curious: how do you know it's 22? Is that many they usually pick?

Any word on the Hughes scholarship, by chance?


It was in the email. I never would have guessed they'd be so transparent about the whole thing.

I wish I were eligible for Hughes. Though really competitive, t's a way better deal, the only stip is to remain in good academic standing. The DBF (foundation that awards the Hughes) has a grant program too, and it looks like it takes one week from the deadline for the committee to meet, then another week for the trustees to meet. If they follow the same schedule, that could be pretty indicative of what you might expect.

They have a horrid "due to the economy/stock evaluation..." statement on their grants page stating how significantly limited funds are this year...which I wish I never saw. Hopefully this isn't representative of scholarships across the board at all schools this cycle. Do you think schools are struggling? I feel like there has to be some balance of protecting their yield versus depleting scholarship budgets? (Speaking for all scholarships, not just named ones)

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nba101790 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 am

Accepted yesterday at 5pm via a nice phone call and status checker.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:17 am

rachelzane wrote:Though really competitive, t's a way better deal, the only stip is to remain in good academic standing. The DBF (foundation that awards the Hughes) has a grant program too, and it looks like it takes one week from the deadline for the committee to meet, then another week for the trustees to meet. If they follow the same schedule, that could be pretty indicative of what you might expect.

It's really competitive? I haven't seen a lot of URMs in at SMU this cycle so I assumed the competition dropped immensely. But you do make it sound incredibly selective. Sumners was honestly my Plan B, so if Hughes doesn't work out, then I will probably not attend. :?

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rachelzane » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:58 am

JXander wrote:It's really competitive? I haven't seen a lot of URMs in at SMU this cycle so I assumed the competition dropped immensely. But you do make it sound incredibly selective. Sumners was honestly my Plan B, so if Hughes doesn't work out, then I will probably not attend. :?


By really selective, I mean they've only chosen one or two people the past couple years. I really didn't stop to consider how many people applied. It's such a good opportunity, I assumed anyone eligible would. And you're right, that could be a pretty small group of people who actually filled out the application. I don't know you, but you seem like a good candidate - I hope you hear good news soon!

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:07 am

rachelzane wrote:
JXander wrote:It's really competitive? I haven't seen a lot of URMs in at SMU this cycle so I assumed the competition dropped immensely. But you do make it sound incredibly selective. Sumners was honestly my Plan B, so if Hughes doesn't work out, then I will probably not attend. :?


By really selective, I mean they've only chosen one or two people the past couple years. I really didn't stop to consider how many people applied. It's such a good opportunity, I assumed anyone eligible would. And you're right, that could be a pretty small group of people who actually filled out the application. I don't know you, but you seem like a good candidate - I hope you hear good news soon!

Ah, right. I did see that list of recipients on the website. I hope they pick more than one winner; it's always great to have two less debt free students than one.

And thank you! That means a lot. :)

Ruthie
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Ruthie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 pm

In via phone call yesterday... weird to get a call. Now i am just waiting on scholarship info:) Anyone going to go to the admitted students day in April?

thomasyin2
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby thomasyin2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:43 pm

I have a silly question and I really hope TLS could shine some light...
SMU LSAT median is 164
Washington U and a few others like BC also have that median yet rank 20ish, 20-30 ranks higher than SMU.
Now I completely get that USNWR ranking does not only weight in LSAT median (though they place an emphasis on it), but what caused this huge rank gap? What is SMU not doing right in term of "non-numbers" that made them rank barely top 50?
And lastly, since the new ranking is coming out with improved methodology , do we expect the SMU ranking to climb up say 10 spots? After all, employment stats from lawschooltransparency ranks SMU pretty high up there.

User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Ruthie wrote:In via phone call yesterday... weird to get a call. Now i am just waiting on scholarship info:) Anyone going to go to the admitted students day in April?


A lot of people seem to be getting the phone call.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 pm

crchildress wrote:
Ruthie wrote:In via phone call yesterday... weird to get a call. Now i am just waiting on scholarship info:) Anyone going to go to the admitted students day in April?


A lot of people seem to be getting the phone call.

Ya. I got a phone call in October.

thomasyin2 wrote:Now I completely get that USNWR ranking does not only weight in LSAT median (though they place an emphasis on it), but what caused this huge rank gap? What is SMU not doing right in term of "non-numbers" that made them rank barely top 50?
And lastly, since the new ranking is coming out with improved methodology , do we expect the SMU ranking to climb up say 10 spots? After all, employment stats from lawschooltransparency ranks SMU pretty high up there.

It may be that the school is failing pretty badly at some of the other criteria US News utilizes in ranking.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:25 pm

From looking at LSN, it looks like a 162 is the magic number this year..

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 pm

JXander wrote:
crchildress wrote:
Ruthie wrote:In via phone call yesterday... weird to get a call. Now i am just waiting on scholarship info:) Anyone going to go to the admitted students day in April?


A lot of people seem to be getting the phone call.

Ya. I got a phone call in October.

thomasyin2 wrote:Now I completely get that USNWR ranking does not only weight in LSAT median (though they place an emphasis on it), but what caused this huge rank gap? What is SMU not doing right in term of "non-numbers" that made them rank barely top 50?
And lastly, since the new ranking is coming out with improved methodology , do we expect the SMU ranking to climb up say 10 spots? After all, employment stats from lawschooltransparency ranks SMU pretty high up there.

It may be that the school is failing pretty badly at some of the other criteria US News utilizes in ranking.


I believe I read on here that SMU and Houston both suffer from bad peer and assesment scores. I wouldnt worry about the US News ranking too much. SMU is underrated and a much better value then alot of T1's. Its biglaw placement is no. 27 in the latest go-to-law school rankings so its definitely not the employment numbers that is dragging down its rank.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Did people who get phone calls get in after they were admittd via status cbecker

majnana
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby majnana » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:15 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Did people who get phone calls get in after they were admittd via status cbecker

I got my phone call after the status checker showed my admit.

Ktr007
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Ktr007 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Mine came before.

LizardRock
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby LizardRock » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Status changed then phone call came maybe 2 hrs later.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Did people who get phone calls get in after they were admittd via status cbecker

Phone call then status checker.

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mg7 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Did people who get phone calls get in after they were admittd via status cbecker

I wonder why we didn't get phone calls lol

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:11 am

mg7 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Did people who get phone calls get in after they were admittd via status cbecker

I wonder why we didn't get phone calls lol

Me too....maybe its because we're getting full rides and they didnt want us to get too excited :(

User avatar
crchildress
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby crchildress » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:37 am

Hey mg7, when you went to SMU for a tour and sitting in on a class, did you meet with an admissions counselor also?

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: SMU c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mg7 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:18 am

crchildress wrote:Hey mg7, when you went to SMU for a tour and sitting in on a class, did you meet with an admissions counselor also?

No I didn't; I just did the tour and class.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests